PDA

View Full Version : A-10 out of playoffs

igo4uni
December 3rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Well, the A-10 run is over. Another conference will win the title.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2005, 08:21 PM
SoCon's in good position to add one to their tally - they'll get one team in and both teams are a short hop away from Chatty - should be a sizeable crowd at the championship if Appy St gets in.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2005, 08:21 PM
Darn...you beat me to it. Here's another stat though, three of the four teams in this semi-final have never been to the IAA national championship (at least I don't think UNI has). Anyone up for an Appalachian State UNI national championship?

GO SOCON!!

igo4uni
December 3rd, 2005, 08:23 PM
A-10 very overrated.

thirdgendin
December 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM
Darn...you beat me to it. Here's another stat though, three of the four teams in this semi-final have never been to the IAA national championship (at least I don't think UNI has). Anyone up for an Appalachian State UNI national championship?

GO SOCON!!

And the only private school to win a I-AA title stays alive.

PapaBear
December 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM
A-10 very overrated.

Celebrate your team's win instead of someone else's loss.

GannonFan
December 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM

GO SOCON!!

Wow - I didn't even realize neither UNI or Appy St had never even been to the title game - I just assumed they had once. What would've made this even more fun would've been if McNeese St was in the thick of it - those three programs are probably the most successful without being ultimately successful. I've got no favorites to root for now - not even conference mates. Just time to sit back and watch (and I'll even be happy for the Cap'n and UNI, despite the hate streaming out of Cedar Falls tonight).

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2005, 08:28 PM

GO SOCON!!

I'd rather Texas State/App State. Besides it meaning that a Southland team would be in the game, I think Williams on one side and Nealy on the other would make for good TV, pregame discussion, etc.

ASU Kep
December 3rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
Wow - I didn't even realize neither UNI or Appy St had never even been to the title game - I just assumed they had once. What would've made this even more fun would've been if McNeese St was in the thick of it - those three programs are probably the most successful without being ultimately successful. I've got no favorites to root for now - not even conference mates. Just time to sit back and watch (and I'll even be happy for the Cap'n and UNI, despite the hate streaming out of Cedar Falls tonight).

This is App's 13th appearance and we've never been to the championship (soon to change).

bkrownd
December 3rd, 2005, 08:44 PM
Celebrate your team's win instead of someone else's loss.

That would be contrary to human psychology.

Yanqui football RIP. :nonono2:

Hansel
December 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
And the only private school to win a I-AA title stays alive.
Delaware is technically a private school ;)

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
I'd rather Texas State/App State. Besides it meaning that a Southland team would be in the game, I think Williams on one side and Nealy on the other would make for good TV, pregame discussion, etc.

Same...but I don't know if Texas State can pull it off. UNI may be the most underrated team in the country....from the defeat of YSU, EWU, and now New Hampshire, maybe people will view them as a powerhouse and not some cinderella squad.

matfu
December 3rd, 2005, 08:49 PM
richmond played pretty well but furman was the better team; 8 drives td, missed fg,td,fg,fumble,td, missed fg, punt---all after good drives; meanwhile richmond went 3 and out 4 straight times

nick9c
December 3rd, 2005, 08:52 PM
I have to admit...we kind of beat ourselves up in the end there. We should have won that game by 14 pts easy. Tutt was impressive, but his passes were much too low.

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2005, 08:54 PM
A-10 very overrated.

Most A-10 fans knew that the conference was down this year. Richmond was a surprise but very green. UNH had the offense, but defense ultimately wins championships.

I'll go with Gannon and also root for UNI despite the few Panther fans that seem to have a difficult time winning with class. I refuse to judge an entire fan base or region by the actions of just a few though ;) .

RadMann
December 3rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
nick9c: If what a team "should" have done was the criterion then New Hampshire "should have" beaten UNI handily given they outgained them 631 yards to 351 yards, but "should have" has nothing to do with it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 3rd, 2005, 09:01 PM
I think UNH's problem was not playing a real tough team the last few weeks. Colgate was not a good enough team to prepare the 'Cats for someone like UNI and i think it showed today. They didn't need to be mentally sharp to get by the Colgates and Iona's of the world, but did so to beat the Panthers. I still think UNH is one of the top 3 teams this year despite what happened today.

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Same...but I don't know if Texas State can pull it off. UNI may be the most underrated team in the country....from the defeat of YSU, EWU, and now New Hampshire, maybe people will view them as a powerhouse and not some cinderella squad.

Well, I'll probably ruffle some feathers by saying this...but however good UNI is I think Texas State caught a break by them beating UNH today. Going in I didn't know what to expect but after having looked at the stats I think UNH had a better football team and just didn't get it done on this day. If the two teams were playing again next week I'd put my money on UNH. Of course the only thing that counts in any one game is the scoreboard, but when you see one team outgain the other 631 to 351 and get 30 first downs to the other's 16 I think that team with the dominant statistical performance would probably win the majority of matchups between the two if they played a number of games against each other.

I'm pretty consistent in that too. I've always said that the best team doesn't always win. I've never been the kind that uses the old cliche, "the best team won" every time because there are pretty many times when that's not true.

Doesn't mean I don't think UNI can beat Texas State. I just think UNI winning today improved Texas State's chances of getting into the championship game. Part of it is because Texas State gets to play at home but the other part is that I think Texas State would have to be playing a better team than they're going to have to play if they were playing UNH.

Just being honest.

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2005, 09:28 PM

I will say this: I think Texas State is a more balanced team in terms of being strong on both sides of the ball than either Eastern Washington or UNH. Like I said last week, if you take out the two double wing option teams they played and just look at what they've done against more "normal" I-AA offenses they've had a dominant defense. Today they held a Cal Poly team that got 40 points and 529 yards against Eastern Washington to to 7 points and 263 yards. Having watched New Hampshire I think they've got better athletes on that side of the ball than the Wildcats do and I suspect the same is true of Eastern Washington.

DTSpider
December 3rd, 2005, 09:29 PM
Most A-10 fans knew that the conference was down this year. Richmond was a surprise but very green.

We pretty much only lose Tutt from this team. He'll be very difficult to replace but we've started to accumulate some good o-lineman and running backs. Now just to get some kids in the secondary who can cover.

JMU Duke Dog
December 3rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
We pretty much only lose Tutt from this team. He'll be very difficult to replace but we've started to accumulate some good o-lineman and running backs. Now just to get some kids in the secondary who can cover.

JMU will definitely take Richmond more seriously on the road in 2006 even without Tutt after the Spiders spoiled the Dukes' 2005 homecoming.

ravens
December 3rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
Most A-10 fans knew that the conference was down this year. Richmond was a surprise but very green. UNH had the offense, but defense ultimately wins championships.

I'll go with Gannon and also root for UNI despite the few Panther fans that seem to have a difficult time winning with class. I refuse to judge an entire fan base or region by the actions of just a few though ;) .

UNI gave up over 600 yards today...very lucky to still be in. Furman's offense would certainly give them big trouble.
Richmond could have won with their last drive. Hightower was running up the middle repeatedly for big gains then they go 4 straight downs w/o running him ??? Agreed with tv commentary that strategy change was VERY costly.

DTSpider
December 3rd, 2005, 09:35 PM
Clawson put the ball in Tutt's hands. He's the 5th year senior and 2-year captain. I would have run Hightower on 4th & 2 but I'm no coach.

DB_Atlantic10
December 3rd, 2005, 09:36 PM
Well, I'll probably ruffle some feathers by saying this...but however good UNI is I think Texas State caught a break by them beating UNH today. Going in I didn't know what to expect but after having looked at the stats I think UNH had a better football team and just didn't get it done on this day. If the two teams were playing again next week I'd put my money on UNH. Of course the only thing that counts in any one game is the scoreboard, but when you see one team outgain the other 631 to 351 and get 30 first downs to the other's 16 I think that team with the dominant statistical performance would probably win the majority of matchups between the two if they played a number of games against each other.

I'm pretty consistent in that too. I've always said that the best team doesn't always win. I've never been the kind that uses the old cliche, "the best team won" every time because there are pretty many times when that's not true.

Doesn't mean I don't think UNI can beat Texas State. I just think UNI winning today improved Texas State's chances of getting into the championship game. Part of it is because Texas State gets to play at home but the other part is that I think Texas State would have to be playing a better team than they're going to have to play if they were playing UNH.

Just being honest.

I agree with you 100%, I saw all games today...and as I watched UNH fumble that game away and how well Tx St. was playing, I really don't see the match-up UNI will have for Tx. St. Take their running back out of the game and they don't have much. I don't want to Jinx Tx. St, but I can see them making it to chatty....

Also, I was very impressed with App St. today, but I had not seen Furman play yet, and I have to admit, Furman handled Richmonds defense like they were playing without a front..... It was kind of similar to the UR/JMU game, only the turnovers and mistakes played in UR's favor that day...and UR is not the team to let hang around as Tutt will come alive and rally his team to a win. With the exeption of the App St. game, all games were played tough today. SIU was just plain outmatched....IMO

D1B
December 3rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
A-10 very overrated.

We need to act like we've been there before.

The A-10 is an outstanding conference. They have some pricks here on AGS, but you can't hold that against em. The Gateway hasn't been stellar the last couple years.

JohnStOnge
December 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
Well...believe me...I'm not saying I don't think UNI has a real good chance to win next week. I watched them on TV against Iowa and they're good. They've got good talent. I just think that when you dominate the stats in a game like UNH did today and lose you have to have done some things to beat yourself. You're not normally going to lose with that kind of domination in terms of moving the ball and the chains.

ravens
December 3rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Clawson put the ball in Tutt's hands. He's the 5th year senior and 2-year captain. I would have run Hightower on 4th & 2 but I'm no coach.

yes you really had the feeling Hightower was just a carry or two from the end zone...puzzling.

89Hen
December 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
We pretty much only lose Tutt from this team. He'll be very difficult to replace
Understatement of the year. Without Tutt at QB: 0-2. With Tutt at QB: 9-1 vs. I-AA.

Pantherpower
December 3rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
Well...believe me...I'm not saying I don't think UNI has a real good chance to win next week. I watched them on TV against Iowa and they're good. They've got good talent. I just think that when you dominate the stats in a game like UNH did today and lose you have to have done some things to beat yourself. You're not normally going to lose with that kind of domination in terms of moving the ball and the chains.

John, it's hard to argue with your logic. I will share with you that UNI's D has stepped up lately at the right times and made critical plays to win games. They play with a lot of guts and determination and as you saw with over 600 yards and only 21 points to show for it "bend but don't break" ;)

D1B
December 3rd, 2005, 09:46 PM

Just being honest.

A fair and well-presented case. You rely on statistics too heavily, IMO. Take a look at the teams UNI has beat these last 7 weeks.

DB_Atlantic10
December 3rd, 2005, 09:46 PM
yes you really had the feeling Hightower was just a carry or two from the end zone...puzzling.
Sometimes coaches do out think themselves.... the middle was wide open and interior had really gotten tired....they were one holding penalty away from scoring...no way I start throwing with that kind of dominance and the time remaining.....

Where in the heck did Furman get those huge O-Lineman :bow:

Hansel
December 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
nobody likes Stats as much as you JSO :p

89Hen
December 3rd, 2005, 09:48 PM
nobody likes Stats as much as you JSO :p
Oh, I don't know about that. :D

D1B
December 3rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
John, it's hard to argue with your logic. I will share with you that UNI's D has stepped up lately at the right times and made critical plays to win games. They play with a lot of guts and determination and as you saw with over 600 yards and only 21 points to show for it "bend but don't break" ;)

His logic is solely based on statistics. Which is fine only to a degree.

Hansel
December 3rd, 2005, 09:51 PM
Oh, I don't know about that. :D
I said stats not trivial information ;) :p

blur2005
The A-10 will be back next year. UNH has a good shot of being the preseason #1 next year, and for good reason. Delaware should be back in the thick of things, as well as JMU. If the Dukes don't win 8 games next year, I will be completely shocked. And as usual, there will be some team that steps it up and comes out of nowhere. It was us last year, Richmond this year. I have no guess as to who it will be, however.

ChickenMan
His logic is solely based on statistics. Which is fine only to a degree.

In close games... making 'plays' or 'mistakes' in critical situations is what wins or loses games. Today UNI made the plays... UNH made the mistakes.

89Hen
December 3rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
If the Dukes don't win 8 games next year, I will be completely shocked.
No offense, but I wouldn't. I assume you have a I-A again next year? The Hens return an AWFUL lot next year. W&M should be better, Richmond will be decent if they can replace Tutt, Towson will most likely be better too and Villanova is always a wild card. It's a friggin free-for-all in the A10 South next year.

D1B
December 3rd, 2005, 10:04 PM
In close games... making 'plays' or 'mistakes' in critical situations is what wins or loses games. Today UNI made the plays... UNH made the mistakes.

Agree chickenman. I can't help but think getting punched in the nostrills 21-0 early in the game had some sort of psychological/take the wind out of the sails effect on UNH. That a strong message that "we are not the least bit intimidated" type thing that they may not have expected.

I may be whack here but sometimes playing at home is not necessarily a good thing. Look at what Western KY did and JMU and all the other teams that are having success (Cal poly) winning playoff games away from home. False sense of comfort?

What do you think.

blur2005
December 3rd, 2005, 10:06 PM
No offense, but I wouldn't. I assume you have a I-A again next year? The Hens return an AWFUL lot next year. W&M should be better, Richmond will be decent if they can replace Tutt, Towson will most likely be better too and Villanova is always a wild card. It's a friggin free-for-all in the A10 South next year.
Uh, yes. But we should win both of our I-AA out-of-conference, as if we get beat by Hampton, I won't post for a month because they are losing a decent number of people and shouldn't be nearly as good. That means we can go 6-2 in conference. Plus, who is to say UNC won't be ripe for a random upset?

ChickenMan
December 3rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Agree chickenman. I can't help but think getting punched in the nostrills 21-0 early in the game had some sort of psychological/take the wind out of the sails effect on UNH. That a strong message that "we are not the least bit intimidated" type thing that they may not have expected.

I may be whack here but sometimes playing at home is not necessarily a good thing. Look at what Western KY did and JMU and all the other teams that are having success (Cal poly) winning playoff games away from home. False sense of comfort?

What do you think.

False sense of comfort...absolutely... particularly if the opponent coming in has something to prove (UNI)... either to themselves or to their opponent.

DB_Atlantic10
December 3rd, 2005, 10:10 PM
Uh, yes. But we should win both of our I-AA out-of-conference, as if we get beat by Hampton, I won't post for a month because they are losing a decent number of people and shouldn't be nearly as good. That means we can go 6-2 in conference. Plus, who is to say UNC won't be ripe for a random upset?

Hampton has 15 returning starters next year.....

89Hen
December 3rd, 2005, 10:13 PM
That means we can go 6-2 in conference.
:confused: You didn't do that this year, what makes you confident you will next year? :confused:

Chi Panther
December 3rd, 2005, 11:50 PM

Just being honest.

I respect this....especially since you have seen UNI play more than once this year.....

I have a stat for you....UNI's QB Eric Sander's is 16-2 as a starter for UNI when he finishes the game.....The two losses are his first start against WKU last year......and this year at Iowa..... :eyebrow:

Its a strong stat.....but as the teams UNI plays continue to get better....that stat will be tough to keep.....

Another thing of note....and I'm not really sure I can justify my comment, but here goes: UNI was ahead 21-0. UNI was in a ball control/limit TOs mode.... I think this somehow led to the statistical variance.....

JMU Duke Dog
December 3rd, 2005, 11:57 PM
JMU's schedule in 2006:

Conference Games
11/4 vs. DELAWARE
? vs. NORTHEASTERN
? vs. RHODE ISLAND
? vs. WILLIAM & MARY
11/11 at Villanova
? at New Hampshire
? at Richmond
? at Towson

Nonconference Games
9/30 at VMI
TBA
TBA

crunifan
December 4th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Why is it every week when UNI wins (whether it be the #15, #11, #6, #4, or now #1 teams we beat) there are always excuses to downplay UNI's win? UNH should have won because they had better stats, EWU's defense had a bad night, SIU game had questionable calls...blah blah blah. It comes down to a lack of respect. I guarantee you, unless UNI wins the whole damn thing, the minute we lose it will a giant "I told you so" on this board, and that really is too bad, because this is an amazing team that is getting very little credit from people other than UNI fans.

Why can't people realize we won these games because for those 3 hours on that day, WE were the better team.

VonDaDon
December 4th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Why is it every week when UNI wins (whether it be the #15, #11, #6, #4, or now #1 teams we beat) there are always excuses to downplay UNI's win? UNH should have won because they had better stats, EWU's defense had a bad night, SIU game had questionable calls...blah blah blah. It comes down to a lack of respect. I guarantee you, unless UNI wins the whole damn thing, the minute we lose it will a giant "I told you so" on this board, and that really is too bad, because this is an amazing team that is getting very little credit from people other than UNI fans.

Why can't people realize we won these games because for those 3 hours on that day, WE were the better team.

I agree. :beerchug:

Tod
December 4th, 2005, 12:44 AM
JMU's schedule in 2006:

Conference Games
11/4 vs. DELAWARE
? vs. NORTHEASTERN
? vs. RHODE ISLAND
? vs. WILLIAM & MARY
11/11 at Villanova
? at New Hampshire
? at Richmond
? at Towson

Nonconference Games
9/30 at VMI
TBA
TBA

If your OOC schedule is typical of the A-10, it will be something like Liberty and Candy-Ass State. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JMU Duke Dog
December 4th, 2005, 01:34 AM
If your OOC schedule is typical of the A-10, it will be something like Liberty and Candy-Ass State. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have heard rumors of possibly Liberty, Hampton, and Georgetown as a few possibilities to fill those two openings.

Tod
December 4th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I have heard rumors of possibly Liberty, Hampton, and Georgetown as a few possibilities to fill those two openings.

That was an impressive, level-headed answer to a statement that I admit was a bit too smack-like.

Hampton is obviously a good team.

TigerFan17
December 4th, 2005, 01:59 AM
The Griz play a nasty I-AA schedule...thats why they got so far in this years playoffs, cause the regular season prepared them for..oh wait...

blur2005
December 4th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Is UNC in '07? If it is, then we can go 3-0 in non-conference if we play the right teams, which so far it would appear, nothing on Hampton.

:confused: You didn't do that this year, what makes you confident you will next year? :confused:
Well, I look at who we return. Every skill position. Defensive Line will be the main question, but if that is solved, I bet we will be very good. Plus, Delaware at home gives us an edge in that game. I like our chances of going 6-2 in conference. UNH will be trouble as it's on the road. But besides that on our schedule, I feel we can beat everyone else, or at least have a great shot. The other thing is that unlike this year, I seriously doubt we'll go 1-3 in games decided by 4 or less again next year. The number of seniors at key positions, especially QB, should help us there.

DemiGS
December 4th, 2005, 05:53 AM

Considering the fact that my Eagles are yet again watching most of the playoffs from home, count me as an official UNI fan :) I guess of the playoff teams other than GSU I would like UNI or Furman. While ASU looks really strong, they have developed a HUGE head. Thank god Furman won today. The A-10 folks were starting to think they could walk on water. Texas State looks like a real solid team, but I worry that the Qb who is so fond of himself can be inconsistent.

89Hen
December 4th, 2005, 10:39 AM
That was an impressive, level-headed answer to a statement that I admit was a bit too smack-like.
A bit? :rolleyes: :p

89Hen
December 4th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I feel we can beat everyone else, or at least have a great shot.
I don't discount that at all, I was just curious to the confidence of being 8-3 when JMU has done that only once in the last six seasons. It's far from being a given that ANYONE will be 8-3 next year in the A10 South.

ChickenMan
December 4th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Well, I look at who we return. Every skill position. Defensive Line will be the main question, but if that is solved, I bet we will be very good. Plus, Delaware at home gives us an edge in that game.

Not until you find a way to stop the Hen's running game. Omar Cuff... 400+ yrds rushing in his last two games vs the Dukes... ;)

OldSchool85
December 4th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Hampton has 15 returning starters next year.....

Here's a link to an article where this was mentioned. Also has post-season analysis on William & Mary...

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-31229sy0dec02,0,5166623.story?coll=dp-sports-local

DTSpider
December 4th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Richmond's OOC -- Vanderbilt (they beat Tennessee), Lafayette (say what you want but still a playoff team) and VMI. Only VMI is a weak team and that game is due to the local rivalry.

What about Northeastern's schedule? Hofstra played Furman. Not everyone in the A10 schedules D2 teams.

bandl
December 4th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Not until you find a way to stop the Hen's running game. Omar Cuff... 400+ yrds rushing in his last two games vs the Dukes... ;)

Oh, well that's easy. You see, I'm going to dress up for that game and pull a "Last Boy Scout" on him. :nod:
Sadly though, that will be the last time you ever see me as I'll either be in some federal prison (probably somewhere in Iowa) or fleeing the feds to some other country.