PDA

View Full Version : Athletic Stipends---for band members?!

BEAR
June 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Here's something interesting. Just wondering if any other schools do the same thing for their bands. In a time of transition to division I when budgets are really tight, I find this a good thing to do for those who support with ferver the teams on the field and on the courts. xthumbsupx

Athletic Stipends

Athletic Stipends are still available for 2009-2010 Bear Marching Band. Members of this year's band will get a check for $100 per month for the months of September, October, and November for their participation in our Athletic Events. Both incoming freshmen and current UCA students who play a wind or percussion instrument qualify. To inquire about this opportunity please call or email Mr. Steven Smyth at 501-450-5022 or [email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you.

http://www.uca.edu/cfac/music/band/

grizband
June 14th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Here's something interesting. Just wondering if any other schools do the same thing for their bands. In a time of transition to division I when budgets are really tight, I find this a good thing to do for those who support with ferver the teams on the field and on the courts. xthumbsupx

The University of Montana currently offers scholarships of $500 (first year), $750 (second year) and $1,000 (third year and above) for members of the Grizzly Marching Band. These are funded by a combination of funds from the athletic department, the music program and private donations from a very generous local donor.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2009, 07:36 PM
At SHSU, the university has a student service fee. I believe they are in the process of separating the athletic fee from this SSF, but athletics has always amounted to 50% of the SSF.

The Bearkat Marching Band also gets a portion of the other 50% which goes to different departments, organizations, salaries, etc within the Student Service wing. Through these monies, the BMB gets scholarships, gear, whatever else they need.

When at Sam, I served on this SSF committee. It was quite interesting...

BEAR
June 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM
The University of Montana currently offers scholarships of $500 (first year), $750 (second year) and $1,000 (third year and above) for members of the Grizzly Marching Band. These are funded by a combination of funds from the athletic department, the music program and private donations from a very generous local donor.

How big is the Grizzly marching band? I believe UCA's band has 200 participants. I can imagine most are on scholarship but there are some that aren't. I guess the stipend will help those that aren't until some system of funding comes up like SHSU's system. Transition is costly and working out the details is tedious. xnodxxlolx

chrisattsu
June 15th, 2009, 08:53 AM
My friends that marched for Tarleton (D2) got the same kind of deal $300 for football. I can't remember if Basketball band got money...

Husky Alum
June 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Northeastern's "Band" isn't part of the Music Department, it's a "student activity", and isn't funded all that well - except for hockey games.

Keeping with the quality of our facilities, our band is probably the worst in FCS.

They're super kids, but like Rocky Hager, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap.

hoseman
June 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Northeastern is one of the finest Engineering schools in the country. Not a football post but the truth to the uniformed. Why post this on a football talk board? Hardly any FCS players go any further and a degree from this place will get you a job!

I attended a college graduation recently where the graduating class was asked how many had jobs by show of hands. 5 hands raised...then how many are going back to live with parents...the remaining 450 hands raised. Northeastern will mirror image this.

So crappy stadium or band or whatever, students that make through that place get jobs..isn't that what matters in the end?

gophoenix
June 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Elon offers scholarships for band members for marching and pep band that are funded solely by the athletics department also.

jstate83
June 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Up until the late 1980's, members of the Sonic Boom was given money, stipends, for being in the band.
Boom members back then practiced from 6pm UNTIL.
Sometimes the band didn't finish practice until after 11pm.
Now they have 3 hour time limit's on practice to comply with Ncaa and school rules.

The Sonic Boom's travel expense is worked into the athletic budget each year which allows the band to be at all games for the team.
The Southern Heritage Classic pay's the band expenses for the Memphis trip.

OSBF
June 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
At ISU, the BRMM, (Big Red Marching Machine) is a student organization but is run through the music Dept. There is no stipend, but it is a 200 level class with 2 credit hours for the fall semester. The basketball pep band is completely volunteer, with the only perk being free admission to the games.

I don't know if its still the case, but back in the day when I was in school the BRMM was the largest collegiate marching band in the country, hence the name BRMM.

El Gato
June 16th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Texas State does something similar also. Well, they did when I was there. Not so sure anymore.

GoAgs72
June 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM
The UC Davis Marching Band-uh is student run with no course credit or scholarships. They go to all home and away games.

BEAR
June 16th, 2009, 09:41 PM
The UC Davis Marching Band-uh is student run with no course credit or scholarships. They go to all home and away games.

They made that long trip to Conway last year and our band rocked it with them after the game! I was really really impressed! xbowxxthumbsupx

GoAgs72
June 17th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I just talked to my son tonight and he said the UCA band and crowd were the nicest at any away game last year. Maybe the UCA band will get a chance to come out to Davis for some future game. Our spring Battle of the Bands might be fun too at Picnic Day in mid-April. We have sometimes gotten out-of-state bands such as Oregon State University. Usually it's UC Davis, UC Davis Alumni Band, Stanford, California, UC Irvine, UC San Diego and Humboldt State. They march in the parade and then the Battle runs from 2 p.m. until late into the night. No song can be repeated.

BobcatSymphony
June 17th, 2009, 07:21 AM
When I started at TxSt, I had a $500 marching band/music dept scholarship that was tied into my marching for the band. They still do this, although different schools with different budgets are able to offer more/less to their students. I'm sure TxSt still does this.

Dignan
June 17th, 2009, 08:14 AM
At JMU we didn't get any money, but we did get credit hours (1 or 2 each fall semester). I don't know if anything has changed in the past 10+ years in that respect.

I also can't remember how meals were handled on road trips (I know they didn't pay for our beer). I can't recall ever having received any money for anything.

Husky Alum
June 17th, 2009, 08:23 AM
To no one's surprise who's ever heard our "band" - NU's band gets nothing.

We're a great band for hockey, where you don't need 200 people. :-)