PDA

View Full Version : Delaware's Jeff Komlo

Wildcat80
June 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Current issue of Sports Illustrated has a feature article on his life and recent death at age 52. Way back then I could say I had played against him since he had been drafted and even played a year for Detroit. Today its just a sad, tragic end to a once gifted athlete. I did not know Keeler was his teammate. There are other teammates of his in the coaching ranks--I think at Delaware & Rutgers. Two of his daughters went to Delaware. Hope it helps others.

93henfan
June 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Full story linked in this thread, for anyone interested: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60362

Go...gate
July 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Interesting letter to the SI Editor from Joe Susan, who is a current Ass't Coach at Princeton and played with Komlo. Specifically said he and a few of his teammates recently had gotten together and they shed no tears for Komlo, whom he referred to as a "con".

All in all a very sad story.

Wildcat80
July 4th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Interesting letter to the SI Editor from Joe Susan, who is a current Ass't Coach at Princeton and played with Komlo. Specifically said he and a few of his teammates recently had gotten together and they shed no tears for Komlo, whom he referred to as a "con".

Read the letter too....but is now at Rutgers! Interesting to know I played against him too.:)

http://www.scarletknights.com/football/coaches/susan.html

Brad82
July 4th, 2009, 08:47 AM
20 yrs. ago-knew guys who played with Komlo @ UD.
Said he was a-hole.

colorless raider
July 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Good catch Go...Gate. I saw the same article(letter) and appreciated Susan's frankness. He coaches the O line at Princetonand prior that was at Bucknell.

colorless raider
July 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Good catch Go...Gate. I saw the same article(letter) and appreciated Susan's frankness. He coaches the O line at Princetonand prior that was at Bucknell.

Sorry about that Susan is at RU.

Go...gate
July 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Read the letter too....but is now at Rutgers! Interesting to know I played against him too.:)

http://www.scarletknights.com/football/coaches/susan.html

Did not realize that he had moved on to RU! He had been at PU quite a while.

BULLDOG8180
July 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Played against Komlo also. He and Steve Bartkowski visited my business once trying to sell me something- I forgot what it was, but Bartkowski worked for Komlo. Glad I didn't buy it.

bison137
July 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Did not realize that he had moved on to RU! He had been at PU quite a while.

He's been at Rutgers for 8 years now. Was OC at Princeton for most of the 90's and also was a very successful HC at Davidson in between.

Susan actually recruited Schiano to Bucknell, which is the connection that led him to Rutgers. He was a BU coach for about a decade, prior to his job at Princeton.

Schiano, btw, was a 1st team All-PL LB for Bucknell the first year of PL play.

MR. CHICKEN
July 14th, 2009, 09:38 PM
DUH KOMLO STORY....BEGS TA BE........UH HOLLYWOOD MOVIE.......AH'M GUESSIN' DEVITO...PLAYS TUBBY.......PLENTY UH FOXY "B" MOVIE GIRLS.....TA LINE UP....AS JEFF'S DOLLS....WHO'LL STAR....IN DUH LEAD ROLE??......AH'M CASTIN'....MARK HARMON......WAHLBERG...AS RECIEVER.....BISTRIAN.........ANY L. A. HOMELESS...DERELECT....AS KEMPSKI.......READY....ACTION.....CUT...CUT...CUT. ....xrotatehx.....BRAWK!!

blukeys
July 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
He's been at Rutgers for 8 years now. Was OC at Princeton for most of the 90's and also was a very successful HC at Davidson in between.

Susan actually recruited Schiano to Bucknell, which is the connection that led him to Rutgers. He was a BU coach for about a decade, prior to his job at Princeton.

Schiano, btw, was a 1st team All-PL LB for Bucknell the first year of PL play.

Susan was a great OL for the Hens and I am pleased with his success.

Komlo ruined a lot of lives including that of former teamates who had to serve some jail time due to their association with Komlo. Specifically, Pete Hazeltine and Jaime Young.

I always thought that Scott Brunner who was Komlo's backup in '77 and '78 was the better QB.

He certainly was the better person.

Go...gate
July 14th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Susan was a great OL for the Hens and I am pleased with his success.

Komlo ruined a lot of lives including that of former teamates who had to serve some jail time due to their association with Komlo. Specifically, Pete Hazeltine and Jaime Young.

I always thought that Scott Brunner who was Komlo's backup in '77 and '78 was the better QB.

He certainly was the better person.

Saw Brunner, from right down the road in Lawrenceville, NJ, play a great, great game on a muddy-windy-cold day against Colgate at Andy Kerr Stadium in the '79 regular season finale (UD won 24-16). And yes, he is a very good guy. He would speak at my Rotary Club from time to time on both football and volunteer events.

Texcat34
July 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM
In 2000 I played for Susan for his one, 10-0 season at the helm as head coach at Davidson. We were a bit frustrated/confused when he left for Rutgers (The Scarlett Knights, at the time were miserable, I doubt anyone saw that turnaround coming) after leading us to an undefeated season. It seems to have worked out great for him and Schiano though. It was interesting to hear his take regarding Jeff Komlo. Susan is a good, straight forward man. For all you Bison out there, we played under Tim Landis for the three years prior to Susan taking over as well. Davidson's head coach (Tripp Merritt) and Tim Landis are best friends and coached together for well over a decade...when are we going to get a Bucknell/Davidson matchup????

Go...gate
July 27th, 2009, 04:16 PM
In 2000 I played for Susan for his one, 10-0 season at the helm as head coach at Davidson. We were a bit frustrated/confused when he left for Rutgers (The Scarlett Knights, at the time were miserable, I doubt anyone saw that turnaround coming) after leading us to an undefeated season. It seems to have worked out great for him and Schiano though. It was interesting to hear his take regarding Jeff Komlo. Susan is a good, straight forward man. For all you Bison out there, we played under Tim Landis for the three years prior to Susan taking over as well. Davidson's head coach (Tripp Merritt) and Tim Landis are best friends and coached together for well over a decade...when are we going to get a Bucknell/Davidson matchup????

Seems like a natural, as the schools have played in the past.