PDA

View Full Version : 6 Game Series Between Montana, ASU, and McNeese State Announced

smallcollegefbfan
June 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=3749509

SERIES DETAILS AND QUOTES
2012: Montana at Appalachian (Sept. 1)
2013: Appalachian at Montana (date TBA)
2014: Appalachian at McNeese State (Aug. 30)
2015: McNeese State at Appalachian (Sept. 5)
2016: Montana at McNeese State (Sept. 3)
2017: McNeese State at Montana (Sept. 2)

Mountaineer
June 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
ASU Agrees to Football Series with Montana, McNeese State
Courtesy: Appalachian Sports Information
Release: 06/11/2009

Jerry Moore's Mountaineers will play FCS powers Montana and McNeese State in the coming decade.
View larger Courtesy: Keith Cline

Jerry Moore's Mountaineers will play FCS powers Montana and McNeese State in the coming decade.
BOONE, N.C. — Traditional NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) powers Appalachian State, Montana and McNeese State have entered into a six-game agreement that will have Appalachian host Montana in 2012 and travel to face the Griz in Missoula, Mont. in 2013, the three schools announced on Thursday.

ASU’s previously announced home-and-home series with McNeese State has been moved back one year as part of the arrangement, with games now scheduled for 2014 in Lake Charles, La. and 2015 in Boone. Montana and McNeese will square off in 2016 and ‘17 to round out the six contests.

Each home team is providing the visiting squad with a $100,000 guarantee to help offset travel expenses and there is a $250,000 buyout clause for each program.

Appalachian, Montana and McNeese State have combined for 48 Division I-AA/FCS postseason appearances and five national championships (Montana in 1995 and 2001; ASU in 2005, 2006 and 2007). They represent three of the nation’s top FCS conferences — the Southern, Big Sky and Southland, respectively.

The Mountaineers have faced the Griz just once before, a 19-16 overtime thriller won by Montana in the 2000 I-AA national semifinals at UM’s Washington-Grizzly Stadium. The Apps square off with McNeese for the first time on Sept. 12 of this season when the Cowboys visit Kidd Brewer Stadium.

smallcollegefbfan
June 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
It is great to see national powers like these meeting up.

GannonFan
June 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Great to see national FCS powers trying to matchup in the regular season.

We'll revisit this thread in a few years to see who gets Furmaned. xoopsx

Mountaineer
June 11th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Note that Montana is travelling to both App and McNeese State first. xlolx

:D

And agreed. Awesome to see these games taking place. xthumbsupx

The Moody1
June 11th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Good to see that Montana is coming to Boone first.

McNeese72
June 11th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Great to see national FCS powers trying to matchup in the regular season.

We'll revisit this thread in a few years to see who gets Furmaned. xoopsx

You think that could happen with the $250,000 buyout clause??????

Doc

jonmac
June 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I don't recall hearing any rumors of this. Were the negotiations well kept secrets or did I miss something. Can't believe it got by some of you "in the know" folks out there. Of course, it's very likely that I just missed any previous talk of it.

Very good to see it happen. Grizzlies, let me be one of the first to welcome you to The Rock.

Mountaineer
June 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I don't recall hearing any rumors of this.

The rumors have been floating around for awhile. I believe there was mention of it in one of the newspapers in Missoula. xreadx

Cocky
June 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Should be great for FCS.

Touchdown Yosef
June 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Great move by all 3 AD's. Way to go Charlie.

gt_bison
June 11th, 2009, 04:40 PM
This is great for FCS! We need more of these intersectional power matchups.

SideLine Shooter
June 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbs upx

GAD
June 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM

2016 Montana is coming to south Louisiana in September, Cowboys win this one easy in the heat.

them northern boys gonna melt

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
2016 Montana is coming to south Louisiana in September, Cowboys win this one easy in the heat. them northern boys gonna melt

That's what happened in 2004 when Montana returned a home-and-home to Sam Houston State. Of course, it did not hurt that we had Dustin Long and Co.

Bearkats fell to Grizwalds in the semifinals, but had SHSU taken care of business against Northwestern State during the season, the Griz would've come back to Huntsville! ;)

Skjellyfetti
June 11th, 2009, 05:08 PM
This is awesome. I hope I can make the trips to Lake Charles and Missoula.

AtlantaMountaineer
June 11th, 2009, 05:33 PM
This is great news for the schools involved as well as FCS. Let me be the first to welcome the Griz and Cowboys to the Rock! Hope to make a return trip as well.

NSUDemon98
June 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM

That sucks, I mean it's great for them, but after NSU's past 3 trips to Missoula a know a lot of us Demon fans have been wishing to get Montana down to Louisiana in late August or early September. :D

Silenoz
June 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Can't wait

Hopefully I'll be making one or both of those trips

CrackerRiley
June 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Very Nice! Can't wait... but plenty of good games in between to pass the time.

GeauxLions94
June 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM
This is great for FCS! We need more of these intersectional power matchups.

Agreed. Now if we can get some other great intersectional matchups (SLC-CAA, Big Sky-SoCon, MVC-SoCon, etc.)

Silenoz
June 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM
2016 Montana is coming to south Louisiana in September, Cowboys win this one easy in the heat.

them northern boys gonna melt

I would never predict a matchup with the Griz to be easy

Unless you're Iowa or Oregon

DX Man
June 11th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Great news! It awesome that some of the traditional FCS powerhouses would do this.

GreatAppSt
June 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
xnodxxnodxxnodx

apppackdad
June 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Kudos to all the AD'S AND COACHES. Hopefully, this will start a trend. I'm asking all if the loyal fans of these three great programs to e-mail the athletic departments of EACH SCHOOL and thank them for doing this. App already has one sent from here.

GannonFan
June 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
You think that could happen with the $250,000 buyout clause??????

Doc

I'm pretty sure both Montana and Appalachian St make more than that on home games, and obviously both could get much more than that in a single FBS money game.

I don't think either will go the route of Furmaning the other - Montana's eager to get the label of being a Furmaner off their record and Appy St's never sunk to the level of Furmaning someone else. No chance of pulling a Furman in this series IMO. xthumbsupx

NoCoDanny
June 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Ft. Lewis must have backed out on Montana.

msupokes1
June 11th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I would never predict a matchup with the Griz to be easy

Unless you're Iowa or Oregon

No game with Montana is going to be easy. If I recall correctly the teams have met 5 times before and the home team has won every game.

Touchdown Yosef
June 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Focused on App this is a great commitment to FCS football and not to FBS for those of you that are convinced we are moving next year and that the the ECU game is tryout for CUSA.

I love it.

appstate38
June 11th, 2009, 10:37 PM
This just in.... Armanti Edwards will be taking the next 3 seasons off so he can use his finally year of eligiblity to play the Griz in KBS!!!!!

Silenoz
June 12th, 2009, 01:15 AM
No game with Montana is going to be easy. If I recall correctly the teams have met 5 times before and the home team has won every game.

I think they've actually split 6 games with 3 wins each. Not sure on the home-away record though

CrunchGriz
June 12th, 2009, 01:36 AM
This just in.... Armanti Edwards will be taking the next 3 seasons off so he can use his finally year of eligiblity to play the Griz in KBS!!!!!

Three year redshirt? I didn't realize he was LDS. ;)

Jackman
June 12th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Very cool. I'm jealous.

Dignan
June 12th, 2009, 02:53 AM
This is definitely cool news although on the other hand disappointing for me personally to think that it might lessen the possibility of a future matchups between ASU and CAA schools.

Regardless I applaud them for doing this.

bluehenbillk
June 12th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I like it. Good job to all 3 schools.

T-Dog
June 12th, 2009, 06:57 AM
This is definitely cool news although on the other hand disappointing for me personally to think that it might lessen the possibility of a future matchups between ASU and CAA schools.

Regardless I applaud them for doing this.

JMU just has to go 8-3/7-4 each year and they'll play App every year in late November. :D

uofmman1122
June 12th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Woot!

This is awesome!

xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

GaSouthern
June 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I would LOVE to come to boone dressed in Griz Garb!

leatherneck177
June 12th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I wish Western's AD would take notice of this. It would be great to get some of the very best FCS competition outside of the MVFC on our schedule.

yosef1969
June 12th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Focused on App this is a great commitment to FCS football and not to FBS for those of you that are convinced we are moving next year and that the the ECU game is tryout for CUSA.

I love it.

Interesting that some folks take that out of this announcement. FWIW You're not alone, others on MMB read it the same way.

If I were trying the read between the lines on this one I'd probably view it the other way. All of the games would fall in what could potentially be transition years and they're on dates typically reserved for FBS matchups.

I don't presume to know whether ASU stays or goes in the next 5-10-20 years but IMO this agreement changes little if anything in the debate.

Love the games either way, been looking for an excuse to get back to Missoula.

biggie
June 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Don't like that it looks like it will take away a possible FBS game for App during those years (since those are usually the first game of the year). But should be interesting.

The Moody1
June 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Interesting that some folks take that out of this announcement. FWIW You're not alone, others on MMB read it the same way.

If I were trying the read between the lines on this one I'd probably view it the other way. All of the games would fall in what could potentially be transition years and they're on dates typically reserved for FBS matchups.

I don't presume to know whether ASU stays or goes in the next 5-10-20 years but IMO this agreement changes little if anything in the debate.

Love the games either way, been looking for an excuse to get back to Missoula.

I agree with you. I think this looks more like positioning for the possibility of FBS transitions. This type schedule can take a huge toll on a teams play-off chances if that is the #1 concern.

Appinator
June 12th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Has anyone thought of how brutal 2013 will be for us? Here is how everything is stacking up based off of our rotation of home and away conference games:

Opponent 2013
Georgia Away
Montana Away
Third OOC Game
SAMFORD Home
The Citadel Away
Wofford Away
GEORGIA SOUTHERN Home
Furman Away
CHATTANOOGA Home
Elon Away
WESTERN CAROLINA Home

Who knows how strong teams will be 4 years down the line, but with only 4 home games on the docket right now, it will be pretty rough. Because of how early we locked up UGA, we are only getting 350K. The Montana game gives us an extra 100K, but that really isn't providing us the funds to get a good team for a 5th home game. Plus, we will have WC, FU, and EU all on the road.

These boys will have to buckle their chin straps for sure to make it through all of that.

The Moody1
June 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Has anyone thought of how brutal 2013 will be for us? Here is how everything is stacking up based off of our rotation of home and away conference games:

Opponent 2013
Georgia Away
Montana Away
Third OOC Game
SAMFORD Home
The Citadel Away
Wofford Away
GEORGIA SOUTHERN Home
Furman Away
CHATTANOOGA Home
Elon Away
WESTERN CAROLINA Home

Who knows how strong teams will be 4 years down the line, but with only 4 home games on the docket right now, it will be pretty rough. Because of how early we locked up UGA, we are only getting 350K. The Montana game gives us an extra 100K, but that really isn't providing us the funds to get a good team for a 5th home game. Plus, we will have WC, FU, and EU all on the road.

These boys will have to buckle their chin straps for sure to make it through all of that.

You are assuming that we would still be in the SoCon. It would be nice to have 85 scholly's when we roll into Athens. :D:D

appfan2008
June 12th, 2009, 09:29 AM
wow THIS NEWS MADE MY DAY!!!

Im so excited!!!

appfan2008
June 12th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Montana better do another expansion to the stadium before we get there!!!

McNeese72
June 12th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I think they've actually split 6 games with 3 wins each. Not sure on the home-away record though

Correct, they have played 6 games and have split 3 a piece with the home team winning every game.

They played a home and home in 1990 and 1991 with the home team winning by blowouts.

Since it has been playoff games with most games being close. The 1994 win by Montana with Montana kicking a field goal in the snow to win after driving the field when McNeese failed to convert on a 4th and 1 inside the Montana 10 yardline.

McNeese won in 97 at home with Donnie Ashleys' catch and run with about a minute left.

McNeese won again a close one in 2002 when our backup Qb came in a rescued us.

Montana had a pretty easy victory in Missoula in 2006. The only playoff game that wasn't a barnburner.

Doc

Appinator
June 12th, 2009, 09:44 AM
You are assuming that we would still be in the SoCon. It would be nice to have 85 scholly's when we roll into Athens. :D:D

In all seriousness, Cobb can't just get on a podium and say: "Oh by the way, we are going to FBS next year." Within the next year, we would have to have an exploratory committee look into any options to give us a realistic view of how this would go, just to be in some kind of correct position when the 2011 restriction comes off. Have you heard of any concrete plans for such an action? I haven't.

We have already been through this before, and we decided not to go FBS. Has the market and demand for ASU really changed that much, that we could expect to have long term success at a "mid-major" level? I really don't think so.

After 2011, we don't even know what the commie NCAA will restrict FCS schools with in their efforts to make a jump to the next level, so our lofty goals could all be washed out even if we did have some sort of plan.

The logical thing to do would be to wait after the 2011 restructuring took place, then look into the FBS move (if at all). That would mean still being in the SoCon for 2012, and 2013 would be the absolute FIRST year that we MIGHT be able to look at something different. But who's to say we will? I certainly don't think its the right thing.

The Moody1
June 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Have you heard of any concrete plans for such an action? I haven't.

The summer after CC got hired I asked him if he thought we would be FBS within the next 5-10 years. At the time (this was before the moratorium) he told me it would probably be closer to 5 years. Nothing I have seen since would convince me that FBS is not his ultimate goal.

yosef1969
June 12th, 2009, 03:21 PM
In all seriousness, Cobb can't just get on a podium and say: "Oh by the way, we are going to FBS next year." Within the next year, we would have to have an exploratory committee look into any options to give us a realistic view of how this would go, just to be in some kind of correct position when the 2011 restriction comes off. Have you heard of any concrete plans for such an action? I haven't.

We have already been through this before, and we decided not to go FBS. Has the market and demand for ASU really changed that much, that we could expect to have long term success at a "mid-major" level? I really don't think so.

After 2011, we don't even know what the commie NCAA will restrict FCS schools with in their efforts to make a jump to the next level, so our lofty goals could all be washed out even if we did have some sort of plan.

The logical thing to do would be to wait after the 2011 restructuring took place, then look into the FBS move (if at all). That would mean still being in the SoCon for 2012, and 2013 would be the absolute FIRST year that we MIGHT be able to look at something different. But who's to say we will? I certainly don't think its the right thing.

IIRC the NCAA has said that teams exploring the option of changing Divisions/Subdivsions should start preparing for the application one year prior to the lifting of the moratorium.

Alot has changed since the last feasibility study. When ASU went through this before (in the late 90's I believe) it was under a much less effective AD, had no championships, had an outdated stadium with an average attendance in the low teens etc.

I personally don't know for certain the intentions of the Athletic Department but regardless, if Cobb and the administration has intentions of applying for a switch to FBS they would quietly prepare for any proposals prior to going public simply due to fact that it is a hot button issue.

Appinator
June 12th, 2009, 03:53 PM
The summer after CC got hired I asked him if he thought we would be FBS within the next 5-10 years. At the time (this was before the moratorium) he told me it would probably be closer to 5 years. Nothing I have seen since would convince me that FBS is not his ultimate goal.

I want nothing but success for the program, but the last thing I want is to end up like another Marshall. Now there are a number of successful FBS teams that are around our current school size, but it is just going to take years for us not to be a door mat after the move.

IIRC the NCAA has said that teams exploring the option of changing Divisions/Subdivsions should start preparing for the application one year prior to the lifting of the moratorium.

Alot has changed since the last feasibility study. When ASU went through this before (in the late 90's I believe) it was under a much less effective AD, had no championships, had an outdated stadium with an average attendance in the low teens etc.

I personally don't know for certain the intentions of the Athletic Department but regardless, if Cobb and the administration has intentions of applying for a switch to FBS they would quietly prepare for any proposals prior to going public simply due to fact that it is a hot button issue.

If this truly is the case, then we should be hearing something after the season. Processes like this which are done well usually take about a year to complete. I just really think that there will be changes to how a school would qualify to make the transition and some possible reorganization of some lower tier programs already there.

crossfire07
June 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Marshall is just another great example of someone having success in the FCS only to move up and become an unknown and losing to schools like UAB. what a waste.

jonmac
June 13th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Has anybody heard any scuttlebutt on what the NCAA may be planning after the moratorium. We have to remember that basketball was a major reason for the moratorium. Too many schools were moving up to play basketball and the tournament was becoming diluted due to the number of autobids and the big time programs were complaining because it was becoming harder to get an at large bid. I think there are going to be major changes in the divisional landscape, to the point that some of us may not have a choice but to move up to continue playing DI basketball.

SideLine Shooter
June 13th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Has anybody heard any scuttlebutt on what the NCAA may be planning after the moratorium. We have to remember that basketball was a major reason for the moratorium. Too many schools were moving up to play basketball and the tournament was becoming diluted due to the number of autobids and the big time programs were complaining because it was becoming harder to get an at large bid. I think there are going to be major changes in the divisional landscape, to the point that some of us may not have a choice but to move up to continue playing DI basketball.

Very Good Point. I certainly hope it does not come to that. I think there are a lot of people who want ASU to move up and become mediocre at best, look at Marshall. That would be awful. Who wants to play ther season in hopes of going to a meaningless Bowl game in Bum F#%*, Nowhere. Not me. I'm partial to Chatty! It means something.

The Moody1
June 13th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Marshall is just another great example of someone having success in the FCS only to move up and become an unknown and losing to schools like UAB. what a waste.

I guess since Marshall has it so bad, they will probably move back down to FCS once the moratorium is over. xsmiley_wix

crossfire07
June 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
If their program is an example of having it good, I will pass. some of the schools they played when they was FCS would MURDER them today. I guess that is why they don't play them.

catdaddy2402
June 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I want nothing but success for the program, but the last thing I want is to end up like another Marshall.
Then don't cheat and get put on probation.

And don't hire a moron for a head coach.

Peems
June 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Just more cupcakes on the Griz schedule:Dxrotatehx:);)

already123
June 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
This is what football is supposed to be about!

Too bad you will never see something like this from BCS schools

McNeese75
June 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Just more cupcakes on the Griz schedule:Dxrotatehx:);)

xlolx Maybe so but these cupcakes might BITE :D

AppMan
June 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
If their program is an example of having it good, I will pass. some of the schools they played when they was FCS would MURDER them today. I guess that is why they don't play them.

A very select few of those 1-aa / FCS programs could compete, even beat them on occasion, but MURDER them???? You fail to realize the programs in CUSA are a far cry from the overwhelming majority of 1-aa/ FCS schools Marshall once played.

crossfire07
June 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I guess wever know since they will not play them. they can not even beat UBA but they can compete against upper tier FCS teams? lol OK. 7 of the 12 teams in the CUSA had losing records last year. typical of the BIG TIME wanna be's. later in the year we will talk about this again after some FCS teams have played those FINE CUSA teams and if CUSA can't beat them by a fair margin then I guess that proves they are really not so big after all.

CrackerRiley
June 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM

No Thank You! xpeacex

AppMan
June 16th, 2009, 06:26 AM
No Thank You! xpeacex

So you like going into these games down in manpower?

AppMan
June 16th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I guess wever know since they will not play them. they can not even beat UBA but they can compete against upper tier FCS teams? lol OK. 7 of the 12 teams in the CUSA had losing records last year. typical of the BIG TIME wanna be's. later in the year we will talk about this again after some FCS teams have played those FINE CUSA teams and if CUSA can't beat them by a fair margin then I guess that proves they are really not so big after all.

A lot of people talk about Marshall as if they have only been playing at that level the past 4 years. Their troubles, which can be mostly attributed to their issues with the NCAA., came after a lot of success during the first 8 years after moving up. Now you can begin with your "they were only good because they cheated" rant.

crossfire07
June 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I do not need to begin a rant that is not true. we both have our own opinions about this and I will respect yours and let it go.

CrackerRiley
June 16th, 2009, 06:46 PM
So you like going into these games down in manpower?

I can take a loss to a team that is supposed to win. I'd prefer to win most of the other games instead of 5-7 loss seasons all the time.

AppMan
June 16th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I can take a loss to a team that is supposed to win. I'd prefer to win most of the other games instead of 5-7 loss seasons all the time.

"......5-7 seasons all the time." Why do some of you always assume the worst case scenario?

AppMan
June 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I do not need to begin a rant that is not true. we both have our own opinions about this and I will respect yours and let it go.

My apologies for the remark. It just seems a lot of people on this (and other FCS boards) seem to believe the only reason Marshall ever enjoyed any success is due to cheating. I do not share that opinion.

The Moody1
June 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Maybe we should move down to D-II and never lose a game again.

biggie
June 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Maybe we should move down to D-II and never lose a game again.
If that's what it takes to stay in a playoff, I'm down.

Waco Kid
June 17th, 2009, 04:03 PM

You must be kidding...

We might as well tear down everything we just built if you want to drop down just because the post season. I like the playoffs don't get me wrong, but the post season isn't what I care about the most. I want a bunch of quality games to enjoy during the regular season first and foremost. The SoCon barely (maybe) fills that desire now, so no way does D-2 do it. I hope you weren't really serious.

buckp
June 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM

We'll go out to eat - my treat! xnodx

biggie
June 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
You must be kidding...

We might as well tear down everything we just built if you want to drop down just because the post season. I like the playoffs don't get me wrong, but the post season isn't what I care about the most. I want a bunch of quality games to enjoy during the regular season first and foremost. The SoCon barely (maybe) fills that desire now, so no way does D-2 do it. I hope you weren't really serious.
I always think FCS will remain with playoffs. So don't think it will come to that.

But hell freezes over before I want to watch a season that will be for pretty much nothing every year (aka BCS/FBS).

Some may argue we have done the stadium improvements to get to FBS, I hope not. I hope they improve the moral of our fans/athletes, the beauty of the school/athletic facilities and bring in more money from fans wanting to come to games and from higher priced luxury suites/seats. Hoping this year we can actually get some fans to show up for playoff games.

AppMan
June 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Guess the university should have stayed at 6,000 students to ensure everyone got a parking spot.

AppMan
June 18th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I always think FCS will remain with playoffs. So don't think it will come to that.

But hell freezes over before I want to watch a season that will be for pretty much nothing every year (aka BCS/FBS).

Some may argue we have done the stadium improvements to get to FBS, I hope not. I hope they improve the moral of our fans/athletes, the beauty of the school/athletic facilities and bring in more money from fans wanting to come to games and from higher priced luxury suites/seats. Hoping this year we can actually get some fans to show up for playoff games.

What do you mean for nothing? Isn't playing for a conference championship something? I'd rather have an appealing regular season and no playoff than one with a bunch of nobody's just to make the playoffs. I don't know how much longer Cobb & Co can keep selling season tickets featuring some of the people we've played over the past few years. if you seriously think these improvements were made just to stay in FCS I've got a deal for you on a cherry 73 Chevette.

biggie
June 18th, 2009, 03:48 PM
What do you mean for nothing? Isn't playing for a conference championship something? I'd rather have an appealing regular season and no playoff than one with a bunch of nobody's just to make the playoffs. I don't know how much longer Cobb & Co can keep selling season tickets featuring some of the people we've played over the past few years. if you seriously think these improvements were made just to stay in FCS I've got a deal for you on a cherry 73 Chevette.
Fan's should care about the team and the SoCon is competitive. We have good/great OOC games coming up. Hell our OOC sched is just as good as 90% of the ACC this year, if not better than some.

To me an opportunity at a national championship for FCS is much greater then a possible conference championship at FBS level, especially when we would be in a conference like Conf-USA.

Our ticket sales and yosef club earnings are up so far this year BTW, after losing in FCS playoffs. Think we are doing just fine.

And I like Chevettes.

Some of us still be FBS/BCS is all just BS. To me if you are on here and like it that much, you should pull for another team for a while.

Skjellyfetti
June 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM

What conference could App realistically join and play an appealing regular season schedule?

AppMan
June 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Fan's should care about the team and the SoCon is competitive. We have good/great OOC games coming up. Hell our OOC sched is just as good as 90% of the ACC this year, if not better than some.

To me an opportunity at a national championship for FCS is much greater then a possible conference championship at FBS level, especially when we would be in a conference like Conf-USA.

Our ticket sales and yosef club earnings are up so far this year BTW, after losing in FCS playoffs. Think we are doing just fine.

And I like Chevettes.

Some of us still be FBS/BCS is all just BS. To me if you are on here and like it that much, you should pull for another team for a while.

The McNeese and ECU game are fine, but I doubt anyone in the ACC is playing anyone remotely close to a transitional FCS program like NC Central. You've got a lot of nerve telling me to go "pull for another team for awhile". I was sitting in the cold, pouring rain with 3,000 other faithful fans cheering on the Apps years before you even knew what / where ASU was and probably before you were born. Of course I do have to keep in mind you did say dropping down to D-II simply to be able tocompete in a playoff would be fine. I sure am glad the people running our university don't have that type of mentality. Like someone else said, might as well tear down everything we've built because nobody is showing upo for that. But, you'd probably be OK with not having to put up with the crowds and glad to get a parking spot right next to the stadium.

AppMan
June 18th, 2009, 10:49 PM
What conference could App realistically join and play an appealing regular season schedule?

If a few things fall together CUSA might just be an option.

ASU
June 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
If a few things fall together CUSA might just be an option.

I could live with C-USA....I believe that it could become something to reckon with after we beat Georgia, Florida, and Southern Cal. C-USA would renew some good rivalries with East Carolina and Marshall.

Still find it hard to believe that East Carolina is coming to KBS in Boone to play a game like they said on another board. Maybe that is the reason.

yosef1969
June 19th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I could live with C-USA....I believe that it could become something to reckon with after we beat Georgia, Florida, and Southern Cal. C-USA would renew some good rivalries with East Carolina and Marshall.

Still find it hard to believe that East Carolina is coming to KBS in Boone to play a game like they said on another board. Maybe that is the reason.

ECU will never come to Boone to play ASU as long as ASU is an FCS program. If there is any truth to that rumor, it further indicates that the admin is planning/preparing for a move to FBS.

biggie
June 19th, 2009, 09:36 AM
The McNeese and ECU game are fine, but I doubt anyone in the ACC is playing anyone remotely close to a transitional FCS program like NC Central. You've got a lot of nerve telling me to go "pull for another team for awhile". I was sitting in the cold, pouring rain with 3,000 other faithful fans cheering on the Apps years before you even knew what / where ASU was and probably before you were born. Of course I do have to keep in mind you did say dropping down to D-II simply to be able tocompete in a playoff would be fine. I sure am glad the people running our university don't have that type of mentality. Like someone else said, might as well tear down everything we've built because nobody is showing upo for that. But, you'd probably be OK with not having to put up with the crowds and glad to get a parking spot right next to the stadium.
True that I assumed you (like most of the people I've heard of that want to go to F-BS) were younger. I did only find out about App in the late '80s, when I was around 12 or so. Still didn't keep me from knowing how good playoffs are at the end of a season.

Being bigger in somethings really isn't always better.

The Moody1
June 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
True that I assumed you (like most of the people I've heard of that want to go to F-BS) were younger. I did only find out about App in the late '80s, when I was around 12 or so. Still didn't keep me from knowing how good playoffs are at the end of a season.

Being bigger in somethings really isn't always better.

I really don't think that pro-FBS App fans are necessarily the younger fans. I started at App in 1980 and I have seen what has happened to this division ,and where it seems to be headed, play out over the last 30 years. I think many of us old-timers are ready for something to change. :)

biggie
June 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I really don't think that pro-FBS App fans are necessarily the younger fans. I started at App in 1980 and I have seen what has happened to this division ,and where it seems to be headed, play out over the last 30 years. I think many of us old-timers are ready for something to change. :)
To me everyone is looking at just the last 5 years. We have been great, but I don't think everyone can assume that trend can continue every year. When we finish 4th or worse in the league and miss the playoffs will everyone still want to go to being the doormat of an FBS conference?

yosef1969
June 19th, 2009, 10:29 AM
To me everyone is looking at just the last 5 years. We have been great, but I don't think everyone can assume that trend can continue every year. When we finish 4th or worse in the league and miss the playoffs will everyone still want to go to being the doormat of an FBS conference?

I would wager the more of the older fans are pro-FBS simply because of the reasons Appman articulated. The possibility of the renewal of rivalries with old foes such as ECU, Marshall, Wake etc, is reason enough for most of those that were around when those rivalries existed.

IMO the past 5 years has actually created a false sense of what it means to stay FCS. The success has led folks to put all of their aspirations on playoffs and NCs. But the reality is it won't last for ever so the question ultimately is in the years where the product on the field is mediocre who do you want to be playing, Mars Hill, LR, NC Central etc or MTSU, ECU, Marshall.

The argument can be made either way but just because someone is in favor of FBS doesn't mean they aren't real fans of ASU or that they are unhappy with the successes of late nor should it be suggested they find another team.

Everyone has different perspectives and reasons for those perspectives and if anything we should be able to debate the issue without resorting to "love it or leave it" terms.

WUTNDITWAA
June 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I would wager the more of the older fans are pro-FBS simply because of the reasons Appman articulated. The possibility of the renewal of rivalries with old foes such as ECU, Marshall, Wake etc, is reason enough for most of those that were around when those rivalries existed.

IMO the past 5 years has actually created a false sense of what it means to stay FCS. The success has led folks to put all of their aspirations on playoffs and NCs. But the reality is it won't last for ever so the question ultimately is in the years where the product on the field is mediocre who do you want to be playing, Mars Hill, LR, NC Central etc or MTSU, ECU, Marshall.

The argument can be made either way but just because someone is in favor of FBS doesn't mean they aren't real fans of ASU or that they are unhappy with the successes of late nor should it be suggested they find another team.

Everyone has different perspectives and reasons for those perspectives and if anything we should be able to debate the issue without resorting to "love it or leave it" terms.

And to clarify, our definition of mediocre at App is what, 7-8 wins?

The Moody1
June 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Personally. I am not looking at how well we have performed since '05 as the reason to move up. The reason to move up is to play schools that are more like ourselves and to grow the program to be the best we can be. IMO- No way are we going to be the doormat of the FBS conference we choose . We are not going to be in the SEC. In the Sunbelt, Mac, or C-USA we would compete just fine.

yosef1969
June 19th, 2009, 10:38 AM
And to clarify, our definition of mediocre at App is what, 7-8 wins?

In FCS medicore means not making the playoffs.

biggie
June 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM

That's the issue I have. When we are medicore for FCS do we really need to be playing FBS schools. Its one thing to be an FCS 'cupcake', its another when we are in FBS and are supposed to be decent and then are called 'cupcake' due to not performing.

yosef1969
June 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM
That's the issue I have. When we are medicore for FCS do we really need to be playing FBS schools. Its one thing to be an FCS 'cupcake', its another when we are in FBS and are supposed to be decent and then are called 'cupcake' due to not performing.

It's all relative, there would be ups and downs in FBS just as there are in FCS, I don't think a program can get too caught up in periods of success or failure.

All programs at all levels go through cycles. Marshall, Boise St, and Buffalo have seen highs and lows just as Notre Dame, USC and Michigan have.

biggie
June 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM
It's all relative, there would be ups and downs in FBS just as there are in FCS, I don't think a program can get too caught up in periods of success or failure.

All programs at all levels go through cycles. Marshall, Boise St, and Buffalo have seen highs and lows just as Notre Dame, USC and Michigan have.
Seems like Marshall was high in FCS and low ever since. That's what I wouldn't like.

But still comes down to absolutely hating the BCS format for me anyway.

yosef1969
June 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Seems like Marshall was high in FCS and low ever since. That's what I wouldn't like.

But still comes down to absolutely hating the BCS format for me anyway.

It's funny, a lot of folks say that same thing but the fact is in the first 8 years after Marshall moved to DI-A they were pretty successful.

From 1997-2004: 79-23 overall (only 2004 did they have fewer than 8 wins and had more than 10 wins in 5 of those 8 seasons), won 5 bowl games, an undefeated season in 1999, were ranked in the AP top 25 twice (as high as 10th) and in the coaches poll 3 times.

If the most important factor for you is the playoff vs. the bowl system then that's understandable but it's a totally different debate than the one about success at the FBS level.

biggie
June 19th, 2009, 01:07 PM
It's funny, a lot of folks say that same thing but the fact is in the first 8 years after Marshall moved to DI-A they were pretty successful.

From 1997-2004: 79-23 overall (only 2004 did they have fewer than 8 wins and had more than 10 wins in 5 of those 8 seasons), won 5 bowl games, an undefeated season in 1999, were ranked in the AP top 25 twice (as high as 10th) and in the coaches poll 3 times.

If the most important factor for you is the playoff vs. the bowl system then that's understandable but it's a totally different debate than the one about success at the FBS level.
That helped prove my point. Do well in FCS and stand out more than being above average in FBS.

2 different arguements, but both put me against the move.

CrunchGriz
June 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Geez, someone posts about a great future series of FCS games and a "move-up" argument ensues.

Thankfully it has nothing to do with the Griz. We get way more than we need on that issue over at eGriz, often arising from posts that have absolutely no relation, tangential or otherwise, to moving "up".

I guess in a way it's nice to know that fans of other FCS programs are similarly afflicted. ;)

Pie in the sky looks just as sweet no matter what side of the Mississippi you inhabit, it appears.

yosef1969
June 19th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Do well in FCS and stand out more than being above average in FBS.

Maybe on an FCS Forum but not elsewhere.

biggie
June 19th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Maybe on an FCS Forum but not elsewhere.
I believe we are more known than Marshall anywhere in the country.

But that is hard to quantify.

yosef1969
June 19th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I believe we are more known than Marshall anywhere in the country.

But that is hard to quantify.

Possibly, it's really hard to say, especially since "We are Marshall" and the publicity that came with it. Probably pretty close though.

The difference for ASU is obviously the Michigan win and that would be present at either level. If ASU had won the 3 titles without the win in Ann Arbor, it wouldn't even be close IMO.

Skjellyfetti
June 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
The difference for ASU is obviously the Michigan win and that would be present at either level. If ASU had won the 3 titles without the win in Ann Arbor, it wouldn't even be close IMO.

And if we were in the Sun Belt or CUSA the Michigan win wouldn't have received much coverage after that weekend.

The Moody1
June 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
And if we were in the Sun Belt or CUSA the Michigan win wouldn't have received much coverage after that weekend.

Wouldn't that be awesome? To beat Michigan, and it not be considered that big of a deal.

yosef1969
June 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Agreed, and rightfully so. The David vs Goliath angle doesn't play as well when both teams are in the same subdivision with the same number of scholarships and that was my point.

FWIW, I'm generally pro-FBS but I don't feel that we should sugar coat the negatives or downplay the positives either. When I see someone state that Marshall was somehow more nationally relevant in FCS but not so since moving to FBS I call BS. That may be true in the realm of fans knowledgeable about FCS but not so with the rest of the sports world. Besides, notoriety shouldn't be a motivation for moving to FBS IMO but that's a whole different discussion.

For ASU the one major hurdle IMO is conference affiliation. There are others of course but that is the one question that's going to be toughest to answer and if they can't answer it adequately I would likely change my opinion. I'll always be a die hard ASU fan regardless but I do put more weight on the regular season schedule and have a preference for the move at this point.

crossfire07
June 20th, 2009, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=CrunchGriz;1359262]Geez, someone posts about a great future series of FCS games and a "move-up" argument ensues.

Thankfully it has nothing to do with the Griz. We get way more than we need on that issue over at eGriz, often arising from posts that have absolutely no relation, tangential or otherwise, to moving "up".QUOTE]

I think at some time or another when the discussion has totally drfited of the topic of the thread, the thread should be closed. just like this one.

crossfire07
June 20th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Geez, someone posts about a great future series of FCS games and a "move-up" argument ensues.

gets pretty old doesn't it.

LacesOut
June 20th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Nice!! Kudos to all three schools.

GannonFan, jeez dude, let the Furman thing go man, just........let........it..........go.

You sound like a crying little child.

AppMan
June 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM

IMO the last 5 years is an indication to what COULD have been happening for the past 20. We once again have the type of dynamic leadership that understands what successful athletic programs can do for a university. I had the pleasure of being in school during the mid 70's when ASU's administration had a "we can do this" mentality. Unfortunately it was followed by 25 years of do nothing administrations who had just the opposite view. It is all about "WANT TO." You first have to "WANT TO" be great. Then you have to go out and do the things necessary which can make it happen. If that desire is not there, it will never happen. Thankfully, because of the behind the scenes work of many ASU alumni and a couple of influential loyal ASU folks on the UNC Board of Governors, we once again have a leader who has the same attitude which was present in the 70’s. We have a lot lost time to make up for.

McTailGator
June 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm pretty sure both Montana and Appalachian St make more than that on home games, and obviously both could get much more than that in a single FBS money game.

I don't think either will go the route of Furmaning the other - Montana's eager to get the label of being a Furmaner off their record and Appy St's never sunk to the level of Furmaning someone else. No chance of pulling a Furman in this series IMO. xthumbsupx

I don't care what anyone makes off of a home game.

No one outside of a BCS school is in a position to simply write a check for 250K.