PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Oct. 3, 2009, JSU/SOUTHERN in Jackson....Not Baton Rougue

jstate83
June 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Alright Jags.
We will be good host for these 3 years.
Come ready for another 3 day football weekend in Jacktown. xnodx

I know some of ya'll are hot as fish greese about this but it's done now. xlolx

Southern Moves JSU game to Mississippi. (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/featured/47514022.html)

On Tuesday afternoon, Southern finalized a deal to move its Oct. 3 home game against Jackson State to Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson, Miss., effectively giving the Tigers home-field advantage in a game they were supposed to play on the SU campus.

The Tigers have made only two trips to Mumford Stadium this decade — and the last one, in 2007, came with a side order of controversy.
In the week leading up to the ’07 game, Jackson State coach Rick Comegy called the atmosphere at Mumford Stadium “hostile,” even though he’d never been there.

"If you’ve ever been to that game in Jackson, you know that it’s like the Fourth of July in October,” LaFleur said. “It’s like a festival. The parking lots are full all day with people tailgating. ... The Bayou Classic is more traditional. It’s a holiday weekend, like a big family reunion. For the Jackson (State) game, you need a place to tailgate — and at the Superdome, tailgating (area) is limited.”

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
The SWAC walks to the beat of their own drum...

Moving a home game on the road for financial purposes...

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM
This is sooooooooo cool. They know that SU can't host it because there will be too many people. Easy decision. Great for both sides. xthumbsupx

Mumford Stadium had a seating capacity of 25,500 last year — and while it will expand slightly this season with the addition of a new north end zone facility, it cannot compete with Veterans Memorial Stadium, which holds 60,492.

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2009, 01:03 PM
This is sooooooooo cool. They know that SU can't host it because there will be too many people. Easy decision. Great for both sides. xthumbsupx

Are we sure it was that great a move for Southern besides the financial aspects? Would think it could potentially lead to a competitive disadvantage...

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Are we sure it was that great a move for Southern besides the financial aspects? Would think it could potentially lead to a competitive disadvantage...Maybe but the better team should win regardless of the place. SU fans travel well too.

jstate83
June 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
2008, 2009, and 2010.:D
3 years I can just roll out my bed and will only have to travel 1 mile for this game.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Football playing gods are good.
Look like we will be staking out our tailgate claim Thursday, October 1, at high noon cause SU will start rolling in by 5pm Thursday.xnodx
Jackson has already started working on festivities for this weekend.

813Jag
June 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM
It's a road trip for me either way it goes, besides Jackson at far from BR so I can go home first and then head to Jackson. I'm sure our refs will be able to make the trip from Baton Rouge. xlolx Actually it would be nice to build a winning streak in Jackson, that wouldn't sit too well with the Blue Bengals, now would it?

jstate83
June 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
It's a road trip for me either way it goes, besides Jackson at far from BR so I can go home first and then head to Jackson. I'm sure our refs will be able to make the trip from Baton Rouge. xlolx Actually it would be nice to build a winning streak in Jackson, that wouldn't sit too well with the Blue Bengals, now would it?

That ain't gonna happen. xlolx

813Jag
June 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
That ain't gonna happen. xlolx
a win this year equals a streak. xlolx

jstate83
June 10th, 2009, 04:09 PM
a win this year equals a streak. xlolx

xlolx Oh lawd. xlolx
I got to watch the local sport's report's tonight. xnodx

Jaguar79
June 10th, 2009, 04:42 PM
<------ Still pissed and not worrying about this game. Jags will take that Tiger azz in Memorial ... again.

Panther88
June 10th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Maybe PV should move it's game w/ Grambling there and hopefully we could win after getting our asses kicked thoroughly for 23 consecutive years. lol xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 10th, 2009, 10:22 PM
The Jaguar Nation is pissed. Bad move. A very bad move, because alot of the nation is talking boycott. Another thing, with the renovation Mumford will seat 29,500.

jstate83
June 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
The Jaguar Nation is pissed. Bad move. A very bad move, because alot of the nation is talking boycott. Another thing, with the renovation Mumford will seat 29,500.

The details on the split are starting to come out.
The I's got to be dotted and the T's have to be crossed.
I figured it would go something like this cause JSU pay no fees to play in Memorial and is partners with The Department of Finance in running the place.
No matter what go on in Memorial, JSU get a share of all profits with no bill's to pay.
The only reason JSU is renting the stadium for SU is because SU's insurance don't cover out of state venues.

The schools agreed in principle to a two-year deal to play in Jackson. Southern will receive 80 percent of the profits in 2009 and JSU will take home 80 percent in 2010.

LaFleur said the 80 percent includes all revenue. JSU athletic director Bob Braddy, however, said it only includes the gate, with concession and parking revenue going to JSU
Clarion Ledger

SU Jag
June 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I actually like the game better in Jackson. There was once talk of us moving our home game with Jackson to Shreveport. Either way this is one of the top games in FCS!

SU Jag
June 11th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Are we sure it was that great a move for Southern besides the financial aspects? Would think it could potentially lead to a competitive disadvantage...

Not really! The game in Jackson is usually a 50/50 split!xnodx

SUjagTILLiDIE
June 11th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Not really! The game in Jackson is usually a 50/50 split!xnodx

And SU historically plays better on the road. The nation travels very very well, SU usually out number there opponents fans. JSU's AD SUre thinks so. xlolx But make no mistake about it im pissed about this.

But Braddy said any bonuses that come with playing at home are exaggerated, pointing out that Southern usually brings as many, if not more, fans to Jackson than JSU puts in the stands.

Tigers coach Rick Comegy echoed those sentiments.

"I don't know how much of an advantage it is; they beat us here last time (35-28)," he said. "I don't see that."
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090611/SPORTS030101/906110356/1073/Southern-U.-moves-JSU-game-to-Jackson-for----

813Jag
June 12th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Looks like I've found my road trip game. 813 will be in Jacktown. And then in BR for the Thursday night game. Looking forward to meeting up with JSU and SU peeps.