DLS
June 10th, 2009, 09:02 AM
http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/socon_best_of_the_best/

gilbert and roman should switch places

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Definitely agree in terms of talent because I don't think Roman is nearly as good as ASU people are hyping him to be. He will never play in the NFL and many of his biggest plays were because he was in the area when someone else forced a fumble or tipped a pass and he picked it off. With that said, it is tough to justify ranking Gilbert ahead of Roman right now with the past accolades they have both won.

DLS
June 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM
gilbert is the stickiest DB in the socon and the fact that he outplayed two of the league's best wide reciever's puts him in that number 6 spot.

definitely agree that roman is overrated.

gilbert is just way underrated. with him and legree in the secondary there is no reason to fear any traditional style qb we face

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM
gilbert is the stickiest DB in the socon and the fact that he outplayed two of the league's best wide reciever's puts him in that number 6 spot.

definitely agree that roman is overrated.

gilbert is just way underrated. with him and legree in the secondary there is no reason to fear any traditional style qb we face

I think ASU has a great group in the secondary all around with Dominique McDuffie and Ed Gainey giving them two very good young players. At this point I think you probably have to rate Roman ahead of Gilbert based on name and what accolades they won but I fully expect Smith to step up and have the better year at LB and think they will have Smith and Gilbert ahead of Roman when the postseason lists come out.

DLS
June 10th, 2009, 09:33 AM
true, i just dont think gilbert's effectiveness translates to the stat sheets well.

mcduffie is by far the player im most excited about seeing back on the field. he was just ridiculously entertaining to watch for those first couple games.

appfan2008
June 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM
great to have 5 of the top 9 and 6 on the list

terrierbob
June 10th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Must be our system. Only one on the listxrolleyesx

appfan2008
June 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM

you guys never get much love but are always right there at the top... even samford had more than you!

The Cats
June 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM

I don't know why they went throught the pretense of calling it the socon best of the best..... should have just called it the appy state best of the best xnonono2x

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM

You guys lost so many of your top players. I would imagine had Wooten, Goldwire, Romero, and Widmyer come back that they would have been on most lists as well. Look at some teams across the league and they lost OL but not their best. Every single OL you lost was All SoCon last season and yet your only 2 returning OL are probably going to be on the preseason all socon team as well.

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I don't know why they went throught the pretense of calling it the socon best of the best..... should have just called it the appy state best of the best xnonono2x

They have won a share of the last 4 SoCon titles, 3 of the last 4 NCs, and have 3 players back who were 1st team All-Americans last year so you have to figure they have the most talent, right? Which App State player should not be there?

Mitchell Bell is a player that nobody is talking about and yet is one of the better safeties I have seen returning. I am just curious because I don't know the entire WCU team like I am sure you do. Who all besides McLeod and Bell do you think are definite All SoCon players?

DLS
June 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM

honestly, on paper this is best and most complete team we have ever fielded

fuEMO
June 10th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I think by the end of the 09 season that list will be blown to hell. There are so many great young players in the SoCon that will finally get their chance in 09.

In Furman's case the linebacker position will be handed over to first time starters Chris Wiley and Kadarron Anderson I would expect their numbers as a tandem to be near the top of the SoCon due to their speed and tacking ability.

If, RJ Webb can play the whole 2009 season he will challenge Roberts and Hudgins as the top receiver in the SoCon.

Also will be interesting to see what impact Maples, and Forcier will make in the SoCon?

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I think by the end of the 09 season that list will be blown to hell. There are so many great young players in the SoCon that will finally get their chance in 09.

In Furman's case the linebacker position will be handed over to first time starters Chris Wiley and Kadarron Anderson I would expect their numbers as a tandem to be near the top of the SoCon due to their speed and tacking ability.

If, RJ Webb can play the whole 2009 season he will challenge Roberts and Hudgins as the top receiver in the SoCon.

Also will be interesting to see what impact Maples, and Forcier will make in the SoCon?

Funny you mention future players. Have you taken a look at all of the sophomore QBs in the league? Mitch Allen, Dustin Taliaferro, DeAndre Presley, Zack Jaynes, etc. I believe these lists will be very different this time next year with so many young players at key positions like QB.

WR will have a very different look next year with Hudgins and Roberts gone next year. Webb is an interesting player because I think he would have been All SoCon by now had he not been hurt.

DLS
June 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Funny you mention future players. Have you taken a look at all of the sophomore QBs in the league? Mitch Allen, Dustin Taliaferro, DeAndre Presley, Zack Jaynes, etc. I believe these lists will be very different this time next year with so many young players at key positions like QB.

WR will have a very different look next year with Hudgins and Roberts gone next year. Webb is an interesting player because I think he would have been All SoCon by now had he not been hurt.

don't forget B Quick.

primed for a big season.

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM
don't forget B Quick.

primed for a big season.

I would guess that the top 2 WRs in the SoCon next year this time will be Brian Quick and Adam Mims of Furman. It will be interesting to see if that holds up.

PaladinFan
June 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I do think a healthy RJ Webb is every bit as good a player as Terrell Hudgins and Andre Roberts. Brian Quick is in the mix as well.

I like that Max Lerner made the list. He may finish the season as one of the most disruptive defensive players in the conference. I will not be at all suprised if he is in the top 10 in interceptions and sacks.

biggie
June 10th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think Quick has the skills/athletic ability to be the best WR in SoCon, even this year. But whether he keeps his head on straight and in the game is still in question. Last year was a decent showing, at times. The spread also literally spreads the ball around too much for focus on a single receiver.

Hell, Jorden isn't even mentioned in this, probably due to his youth, but he seems to be one of the best players in the league for knowledge in the game and great hands.

blueballs
June 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I'd be willing to bet this list will look a lot different come December than it does today...

... but it is great message board fodder while waiting for fall camp to start.

phoenixphanatic21
June 10th, 2009, 02:22 PM
You guys see these too? He's gone through each position for offense and defense and ranked the best players at each position.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/socon_position_rankings_offense/
http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/socon_position_rankings_defense/

Don't really have too much to complain about with the top 20 players list or these position rankings. I think Josh Buchanon did a pretty good job, at least as far as the Elon players go. Though I do find it interesting he listed Andre Labinowicz as the number 5 TE in the SoCon when the guy didn't really do anything last year (2 catches for 14 yards). He's not even our #1 TE. That honor would go to Matt Leddy.

fuEMO
June 10th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Great point about the QB's add Chris Forcier to that list of sophomore QB's.

Sad that no one is talking about David Hendrix. All he did was break Webb's freshman receiving records at Furman. And he was probably the most impressive receiver in the spring. Quickly the receiving position at Furman has become the deepest and probably the most talented position on the entire team.

Webb SR (but should be a candidate for a 6th year)
Mims JR
Hendrix SO
Cunningham SO
Maples SO
McFadden RSFR
Allman FR

PaladinFan
June 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Hendrix will catch a ton of passes. He's not much of a downfield threat though and probably gets lost in the limelight. He could be a very good receiver if Maples and Webb force defenses to respect Furman's deep pass.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I'd be willing to bet this list will look a lot different come December than it does today...

... but it is great message board fodder while waiting for fall camp to start.

I agree blueballs. It will be different as in there will be more blue in it. I do understand not having any GSU players on the list, as there is no telling who will emerge on our team. Someone will for us, though, and I think we will lead the SoCon in passing yards by a large marigin.

On another note, this is going to be a long year for SoCon secondaries, and even App's secondary will have some problems. Between our offensive system coming into place, and Hudgins, Quick, Mims, Hillary, Roberts, Webb, and a few others, there's plenty to keep SoCon defensive backs awake a night.

smallcollegefbfan
June 11th, 2009, 11:37 PM
You guys see these too? He's gone through each position for offense and defense and ranked the best players at each position.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/socon_position_rankings_offense/
http://www.southernpigskin.com/index.php/site/socon_position_rankings_defense/

Don't really have too much to complain about with the top 20 players list or these position rankings. I think Josh Buchanan did a pretty good job, at least as far as the Elon players go. Though I do find it interesting he listed Andre Labinowicz as the number 5 TE in the SoCon when the guy didn't really do anything last year (2 catches for 14 yards). He's not even our #1 TE. That honor would go to Matt Leddy.

Labinowicz is listed as the starter on the two-deep and Leddy is a decent player so maybe it is more of a projection that he will be a good player this year?

I am surprised that SP.com is the only one that has really put your 2 OL out there much. I think CDS had Werden but I thought Harrison and Werden both were solid and are possible All-America candidates.

smallcollegefbfan
June 11th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I agree blueballs. It will be different as in there will be more blue in it. I do understand not having any GSU players on the list, as there is no telling who will emerge on our team. Someone will for us, though, and I think we will lead the SoCon in passing yards by a large marigin.

On another note, this is going to be a long year for SoCon secondaries, and even App's secondary will have some problems. Between our offensive system coming into place, and Hudgins, Quick, Mims, Hillary, Roberts, Webb, and a few others, there's plenty to keep SoCon defensive backs awake a night.

So many good WRs for sure. With the QBs and WRs in the league there could be several tandems where we see a 2,000 yard QB and a 1,000 yard WR on the same team. xthumbsupx