PDA

View Full Version : Contact Phil Steele..... NOW!!!

jmufan999
June 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM
if you don't know who Phil Steele is, he is a very good prognosticator of FCS football. haven't paid attention to FBS stuff. don't really care that much. but he does his homework BIG TIME. he wouldn't say Armani Edwards, Marc Mariachi, or Rodney Zanders. i know you guys see stuff like this, ridiculous typos and careless errors, because the editor (of whatever publication) doesn't really care. half the time, the AUTHOR doesn't even care.

Phil Steele cares. he gives a crap. so let's ENCOURAGE him to do more for our cause... right now i think we get a half page for FCS news per top 25 team. i think that's right. let's get it to a full page! or even better, let's get him to do a whole FCS magazine (not just one that's an insert in an FBS mag, this is what we currently have, and only in ACC country)! some of you might be thinking it's impossible.... it IS impossible if we do NOTHING to voice our opinions. if he knows that we CARE about this and we will buy the mags (which many of us will since we're on this site to begin with, we clearly have an interest in all things FCS), THEN he will do more for us.

it's a start. it's not perfect, but it certainly won't hurt any. just drop him a line, and tell him how much you appreciate reading about FCS news... and how scarce accurate FCS info can be.

[email protected] (this is the best email address i could find... it's either that or the webmaster, and this seems to be the better choice in my opinion)

laxVik
June 8th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Oh let's not be ninnies now. Who cares what he thinks?

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Can I email them and say that the guy's name is actually Ronnie Sanders?

smallcollegefbfan
June 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
if you don't know who Phil Steele is, he is a very good prognosticator of FCS football. haven't paid attention to FBS stuff. don't really care that much. but he does his homework BIG TIME. he wouldn't say Armani Edwards, Marc Mariachi, or Rodney Zanders. i know you guys see stuff like this, ridiculous typos and careless errors, because the editor (of whatever publication) doesn't really care. half the time, the AUTHOR doesn't even care.

Phil Steele cares. he gives a crap. so let's ENCOURAGE him to do more for our cause... right now i think we get a half page for FCS news per top 25 team. i think that's right. let's get it to a full page! or even better, let's get him to do a whole FCS magazine (not just one that's an insert in an FBS mag, this is what we currently have, and only in ACC country)! some of you might be thinking it's impossible.... it IS impossible if we do NOTHING to voice our opinions. if he knows that we CARE about this and we will buy the mags (which many of us will since we're on this site to begin with, we clearly have an interest in all things FCS), THEN he will do more for us.

it's a start. it's not perfect, but it certainly won't hurt any. just drop him a line, and tell him how much you appreciate reading about FCS news... and how scarce accurate FCS info can be.

[email protected] (this is the best email address i could find... it's either that or the webmaster, and this seems to be the better choice in my opinion)

I had mentioned that last year but nobody took me seriously because I had been told they would do one. If they have a big turnout of FCS fans showing interest they will do one for next year.

Syntax Error
June 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
... right now i think we get a half page for FCS news per top 25 team ... how scarce accurate FCS info can be...CSN has done a mag for years, the last two years they have been free pdfs. It does not have any FBS junk, and it usually around 100+ pages. Besides www.collegesportingnews.com they do www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com so between them there is tons of FCS news year around (see the news feeds board here at AGS). It is good to support FCS coverage and start at the root, then check FBS books like Phil Steele. xreadx

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2009, 08:13 PM
CSN has done a mag for years, the last two years they have been free pdfs. It does not have any FBS junk, and it usually around 100+ pages. Besides www.collegesportingnews.com they do www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com so between them there is tons of FCS news year around (see the news feeds board here at AGS). It is good to support FCS coverage and start at the root, then check FBS books like Phil Steele. xreadx

The more coverage the better and while I read TSN and CSN all year long I think it is good to have more than one FCS magazine to have multiple views on the season. If you read Lindy's and Sportingnews you will see they have different picks for each league so it is always good to see more than one view of things. For fans it is always better to have several sources for news and not just one.

Phil Steele is going to do a FCS only magazine before it is all said and done. From what I was told they just need people to support it by having enough people purchasing the magazine.

Syntax Error
June 9th, 2009, 08:41 PM
... good to have more than one FCS magazine ...Yes, when that happens it will be cool. Doesn't happen now. Makes no sense for them to want us to buy their FBS book in order to get a FCS one. I ain't buying a FBS book no matter how much you push for Phil. xsmhx

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Yes, when that happens it will be cool. Doesn't happen now. xsmhx

Per my conversation with someone in their office, I have the feeling their reason is that they lacked enough copies sold last year. It is good to have these two guides because you can take the Phil Steele one to games with you and while you are online you can use CSN's guide, unless you print out all of those pages and bind them together. Hopefully CSN will soon put one in newsstands or allow people to order it again so we can take both of them with us to games or wherever we go.

We are going to have to buy the one with some FBS information in it for now or else they won't ever make a print FCS mag only and might even stop providing the content if they don't see any interest. I really hope people turn out to get copies of this in a big way so we can have a FCS mag without the FBS information in our hands. I will support any magazine that does that by purchasing it like I have done with the NAIA mag that has come out and the D2 mag that is coming out this summer. :)

Syntax Error
June 9th, 2009, 08:59 PM
... It is good to have these twoThere is only one
... while you are online you can use CSN's guide, unless you print out all of those pages and bind them togetherI sent the link to Kinkos and they had it ready for me to pick up the same day for less than $10.
... We are going to have to buy the one with some FBS information in it for now or elseSome FBS? It is an FBS mag with 80% FBS, 18% ads, and 2% other. You may buy it but the general "we" does not have to.
... I really hope people turn out to get copies of this in a big way so we can have a FCS mag without the FBS information in our hands.Listen CLOSELY (I have said this many times yet you are so concerned in selling your mag that you have not listened)... WE ALREADY HAVE A FCS MAG WITHOUT FBS IN IT! Another would be cool but don't act like we don't have one already. Very disrespectful of you if you are an FSC fan.
... I will support any magazine that does that...Really? Like you support AGS with donations? xreadxxwhistlex

wideright82
June 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
so..... anyone else see this discussion going down hill........... fast?

slycat
June 9th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I was reading the article Steele had last year about adding more and more FCS info if the interest grows. I think its great. Phil does a great in depth job.

Who cares if it comes in an FBS magazine? Its still available in stores and causes better awareness of FCS.

The reason it is sold in the FBS copy is because it won't sell enough if its a stand alone. Thats the same reason the CSN magazine, which I love, isn't sold in stores. Theres just not a big enough market for it yet.

I can't wait to read both.

Syntax Error
June 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
The reason it is sold in the FBS copy is because it won't sell enough if its a stand alone. Thats the same reason the CSN magazine, which I love, isn't sold in stores...They should allow a free download of just the FCS stuff. CSN does and CSN has xx% more FCS stuff. It isn't much and other mags do much more. Flip through those FBS books and see all the ads and junk for so little FCS material. I know some people like the FBS stuff but really, I don't and to me those mags are a waste of money. I actually take my digital camera and take a picture of the FCS stuff and read it at home.

slycat
June 9th, 2009, 10:12 PM
They should allow a free download of just the FCS stuff. CSN does and CSN has xx% more FCS stuff. It isn't much and other mags do much more. Flip through those FBS books and see all the ads and junk for so little FCS material. I know some people like the FBS stuff but really, I don't and to me those mags are a waste of money. I actually take my digital camera and take a picture of the FCS stuff and read it at home.

I'd go for it too if it was free.

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM
There is only oneI sent the link to Kinkos and they had it ready for me to pick up the same day for less than $10.Some FBS? It is an FBS mag with 80% FBS, 18% ads, and 2% other. You may buy it but the general "we" does not have to.

All I am saying is that being on a budget and not having a place like kinkos close by (would have to drive 30-40 minutes) makes it tougher for me to go have it binded. If there was one close by and I could get it done for less than 8 bucks (the price magazines usually cost) I would do it for sure.

I still download your CSN guide to my pc and use it as a reference while at my computer.

For the record, I don't mind having the FBS team writeups in it for now. I pick up Lindy's or Sporting News anyway because I do like to read about some FBS teams.

To be honest, I like when a magazine has FBS, FCS, D2, D3, and NAIA all in one magazine because it is all there for me to reference. Most of us like some FBS team or like watching that division of football so I love having the ability to read about them as well. I also like having just a FCS magazine so if you want to look up Montana or UNI or Richmond you don't have to flip through NWMSU or Florida State.

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I was reading the article Steele had last year about adding more and more FCS info if the interest grows. I think its great. Phil does a great in depth job.

Who cares if it comes in an FBS magazine? Its still available in stores and causes better awareness of FCS.

The reason it is sold in the FBS copy is because it won't sell enough if its a stand alone. Thats the same reason the CSN magazine, which I love, isn't sold in stores. Theres just not a big enough market for it yet.

I can't wait to read both.

I'm like you in that the more the better. I know SE is just teasing and really likes having more magazines covering FCS. It is good for the division and I believe we will see Phil Steele producing a 100 plus page FCS only print magazine here in the next few years. It is just going to take them time. I loved when CSN did that but it was probably started too early before getting the buyer base up. You had to pay for CSN and it was pretty cheap, 4 or 5 bucks, but when the company that made the magazines backed out it caused them to move to online only. I hope they bring it back to a print addition here in the next couple years because it was great to have that glossy mag with you at games or just anywhere you went when you wanted to read about FCS.

bluehenbillk
June 10th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Simple quick thoughts:

Most FCS fans are FBS fans & fans of college football in general. Delaware is my favorite team but I spend just as much time if not more reading about FBS.

The CSN magazine is chocked full of great information but is almost irrelevant because of when it's come out in the past. September 1st or thereabouts is too late for a "preview" magazine.

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Simple quick thoughts:

Most FCS fans are FBS fans & fans of college football in general. Delaware is my favorite team but I spend just as much time if not more reading about FBS.

The CSN magazine is chocked full of great information but is almost irrelevant because of when it's come out in the past. September 1st or thereabouts is too late for a "preview" magazine.

I am glad you mentioned when it comes out. Does SE or anyone else involved know when the CSN guide is going to be released this year?

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I am glad you mentioned when it comes out. Does SE or anyone else involved know when the CSN guide is going to be released this year?

Believe that the articles were due to the Editor next week. Read that somewhere or someplace. Would expect it out in plenty of time before the season.

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Believe that the articles were due to the Editor next week. Read that somewhere or someplace. Would expect it out in plenty of time before the season.

Any idea on the actual date or month? I would love to see it by mid July before the media days start.

ASUG8
June 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
They should allow a free download of just the FCS stuff. CSN does and CSN has xx% more FCS stuff. It isn't much and other mags do much more. Flip through those FBS books and see all the ads and junk for so little FCS material. I know some people like the FBS stuff but really, I don't and to me those mags are a waste of money. I actually take my digital camera and take a picture of the FCS stuff and read it at home.

You're kidding me, right? xeyebrowx

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM
You're kidding me, right? xeyebrowxNope, try it and save yourself some money, useless ads and FBS junk. I would post the pics here but that would be a copyright violation. xcoffeex

ASUG8
June 10th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Nope, try it and save yourself some money, useless ads and FBS junk. I would post the pics here but that would be a copyright violation. xcoffeex

Sounds a little like theft to me, but that's a matter of opinion I guess. xnonox

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Sounds a little like theft to me, but that's a matter of opinion I guess.Theft, why exactly? You are allowed to sit and read it in most every store. Taking private pictures is not against the law.

Liberty2005
June 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Theft, why exactly? You are allowed to sit and read it in most every store. Taking private pictures is not against the law.

I think he is saying that it's similiar to a bootleg video in that you are viewing it without paying for it.

Kinda sorta...ya dig?xthumbsupx

ASUG8
June 10th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I think he is saying that it's similiar to a bootleg video in that you are viewing it without paying for it.

Right - it's a matter of tangibility - you're effectively taking a digital copy out with you, kind of like synching your i-pod up on your buddy's computer without paying. It's just splitting hairs - Phil isn't getting much poorer if you take his stuff for free in the grand scheme of things.

Liberty2005
June 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Right - it's a matter of tangibility - you're effectively taking a digital copy out with you, kind of like synching your i-pod up on your buddy's computer without paying. It's just splitting hairs - Phil isn't getting much poorer if you take his stuff for free in the grand scheme of things.

This isn't Napster/Metallica

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM
... you're effectively taking a digital copy out with you, kind of like synching your i-pod up on your buddy's computer without paying...Except I'm not. So poof goes the reasoning. There is no "taking a digital copy out" or "synching your i-pod up on your buddy's computer without paying" because there is no violation involved, read the law. Phil "Steele" is happy that people read his FBS book and when they put out an FCS book then I will buy it. Until then I, like countless other FCS folk, will not buy his FBS book. I could legally post his entire FCS portion here because it is just a small part of his book.

ASUG8
June 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM

Or taking a video camera into a movie theater and watching it for personal use - practically the same thing. xeyebrowx

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Or taking a video camera into a movie theater and watching it for personal use - practically the same thing. xeyebrowx< ---------------------------------- >
Overhead missing the point or just bashing the messenger? Personal use is covered under the RIAA laws BTW. Like you copying a friend's album on tape and listening to it.

Tell Phil "Steele" (not his real name) that we want a FCS book, not another FBS book.

smallcollegefbfan
June 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Except I'm not. So poof goes the reasoning. There is no "taking a digital copy out" or "synching your i-pod up on your buddy's computer without paying" because there is no violation involved, read the law. Phil "Steele" is happy that people read his FBS book and when they put out an FCS book then I will buy it. Until then I, like countless other FCS folk, will not buy his FBS book. I could legally post his entire FCS portion here because it is just a small part of his book.

This is the exact type stuff though that would keep them or anyone else from doing a FCS only book. For anyone to justify doing one they have to know they can at least come out even or make a slight profit.

If everyone takes picture copies or posts the entire portions, then they won't sell nearly as many and the magazine might even cease to exist. I will support anyone who makes a quality FCS preview by purchasing it to help in eventually getting a FCS only preview.

I will do just like I have with Lindy's and Sporting News and post small tidbits of Phil Steele's guide so people can see some of what they have but not the entire thing so purchasing it will still be useful. I remember when CSN came out and the entire preview was not posted on here so people would still buy it.

Here is the answer to the problem for those who don't want to read the FBS material. Just tear out those pages so it only has the pages on FCS.

ASUG8
June 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Except I'm not. So poof goes the reasoning. There is no "taking a digital copy out" or "synching your i-pod up on your buddy's computer without paying" because there is no violation involved, read the law. Phil "Steele" is happy that people read his FBS book and when they put out an FCS book then I will buy it. Until then I, like countless other FCS folk, will not buy his FBS book. I could legally post his entire FCS portion here because it is just a small part of his book.

So taking a digital camera into a store, taking a digital photograph, and taking it home to read doesn't seem a LITTLE unethical to you? Poof goes your reasoning. Maybe Borders or Barnes and Noble would just let you use their copier to make hardcopies of the pages you want for free. xoopsx

You know, I could sit here and enjoy this site for free, but I coughed up a few bucks to help out on costs - it's really not much to ask.

andy7171
June 10th, 2009, 02:18 PM
SE, Are you serious?

First off, I doubt you really take pictures of the FCS section and read them at home. Nothing PERSONAL, just I find it hard to imagine someone doeing that.

Second I would think that if it wasn't illegal, the store owner would boot you.

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I would think that if it wasn't illegal, the store owner would boot you.

It isn't illegal and store owners don't boot people for taking a picture (unless they have it posted as against store policy). Now if you try to copy an entire publication then that is illegal. Laws people. There is a reason for them. Geez Americans, take a picture... you have rights! Our government takes multitudes of pictures of you every day, so do stores.

GannonFan
June 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Cool, when the FCS preview from CSN comes out, I'll just let someone show me their copy, I'll take photos of the whole thing sans the front and back page, and I'll be golden. Geez, forget buying books anymore, I'll have my wife photo one half of the book, I'll photo the other half, and we'll just swap halves. xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Cool, when the FCS preview from CSN comes out, I'll just let someone show me their copy, I'll take photos of the whole thing sans the front and back page, and I'll be golden.Just download the whole CSN Yearbook yourself! Heck, whole parts of it were posted here in the past. xnodx Of course copying an entire "for sale" publication is illegal. Don't break any laws!

GannonFan
June 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Just download the whole CSN Yearbook yourself! Heck, whole parts of it were posted here in the past. xnodx Of course copying an entire "for sale" publication is illegal. Don't break any laws!

Absolutely - that's why I'll get the wife involved - we don't need to buy any book ever again - she'll copy the first half, I'll copy the second half, and we won't sell it to anyone!! Man, I hope everyone catches onto this loophole!!! xlolx

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM
... I'll get the wife involved - we don't need to buy any book ever again - she'll copy the first half, I'll copy the second half, and we won't sell it to anyone!! Man, I hope everyone catches onto this loophole!!! And goes to jail for it? xsmhx Don't break the law and copy a publication. Like the TOS here says, post only a portion.

Liberty2005
June 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM
And goes to jail for it? xsmhx Don't break the law and copy a publication. Like the TOS here says, post only a portion.

OH! So it's like the 30% rule? As long as it's a portion it's ok. xconfusedx

Like, it isn't cheating if she just gives you a bj.xcoffeex

slycat
June 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
It isn't illegal and store owners don't boot people for taking a picture (unless they have it posted as against store policy). Now if you try to copy an entire publication then that is illegal. Laws people. There is a reason for them. Geez Americans, take a picture... you have rights! Our government takes multitudes of pictures of you every day, so do stores.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

What you are doing is unethical. It doesn't matter if its for personal use or not. Like others have said its the same as copying a movie or song for personal use. You are stealing money from the person of group that created the item. I'm sure you would like to bust your ass at your job and just have people steal the results from you instead of paying for it.

If you were such a huge FCS fan you would pay for it.

smallcollegefbfan
June 14th, 2009, 06:58 PM
You are comparing apples to oranges.

What you are doing is unethical. It doesn't matter if its for personal use or not. Like others have said its the same as copying a movie or song for personal use. You are stealing money from the person of group that created the item. I'm sure you would like to bust your ass at your job and just have people steal the results from you instead of paying for it.

If you were such a huge FCS fan you would pay for it.

You are right but I am learning that it is best to ignore SE. He probably doesn't even do that but says it and says many other things just to get a rise out of him. If you stop replying to things like that he will probably stop because he will see that his motives are useless. xthumbsupx