PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina vs Gardner-Webb, Sept 12th

EagleDawg
June 7th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Could be a pivotal game for both teams as WCU will be coming off a road game at Vandy and GWU coming off a home opener against D2 Mars Hill. The odds would be that Western comes into the game at 0-1 and GWU 1-0. WCU to show continued improvement doesn't need to start 0-2 in OOC games and GWU to build momentum for an improved season needs to steal a game on the road in OOC games. With GWU having NC State and Buffalo later in the season, WCU is a huge opportunity to try and get one. I watched WCU play at Wofford and Elon last season and the Cats play was better than the Final Scores indicated. They moved the ball well but mistakes kept them out of the end zone too many times to contest for the win. GWU is returning around 17 or more starters and have a stout D against the run but the Cats throw the ball well with Jaynes. WCU should be favored but GWU can win it if the Offense puts points on the board and avoids crucial mistakes.

WCU LawCat
June 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
It is an interesting game but I wouldn't look past Mars Hill if I were GW because of the recruiting class they hauled in....and the transfers.

EagleDawg
June 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM
WCULawCat - You won't get any argument from me on that. GWU can't afford to look past anybody. Play one game at a time, respect all, fear none. My brother is a Western guy but my son will be playing for the RunninBullDawgs, sets up an interesting tailgate IMO.

wcucat85
June 7th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Coach Wagner has the program going in the right direction and needs this win badly to get the season off to a positive start.They have some good young talent and time is what they need to developxthumbsupx

wcucat85
June 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I am still amazed at where Elon came from and where their at now so quickly.Great Job by staff there.

catamount man
June 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM
WCU will win, IMO, but GWU will give us fits. We're still way too young. I see this one in the same way the 2 wins over PC went the last 2 years. It'll be the first home game and I plan on making a whole weekend of it. Coming up Friday, leaving Sunday. All GW fans drive over safe. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
June 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I see Western winning also but it could come down to the 4th quarter. A lot of young guys will be thrown into the fire early in the season. I see the team gradually improving throughout the year.

Zeus69
June 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
After playing against both teams last year I would have to say that WCU will win that game. They are tough to beat at home ( were up on Appy at half this past year ) and they are very well coached. GWU will have a good team coming back, but I would expect WCU to win by at least a touchdown.

g-webb1994
June 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Huge game for G-W. You figure we lose in Raleigh the following week to NC State, so this game at WCU could be the difference in heading into and off week before the first conference game at VMI either 2-1 or 1-2. I almost use the term 'must win' for G-W at WCU, simply because if we limp in at 1-2 heading to VMI, it won't bode well for the rest of the year and could snowball downhill in a hurry.

Patton's teams have disappointed greatly the past few years. The General needs a breakthrough season this year, and 5-6 or 6-5 isn't going to get it done.

The Cats
June 7th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I'm sure the Runnin Bulldogs will be up for this game..... BUT - if the Catamount lose this one - it's gonna be a l-o-n-g season!!!!

clinchBoy
June 12th, 2009, 11:12 AM
no way GW beats WCU! WCU should be able to run the ball. GW just doesnt have the players on the Dline to stop anyone. Mars Hill will give them trouble, mark it down. Doolittle can barely complete a hitch route. I see the dogs finishing only ahead of PC in the Big South. Paton is a joke!

EagleDawg
June 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM
clinchboy - While your prognostication may turn out correct I believe it will be a tight contest. WCU while improving has not shown they can win on any kind of consistent basis so I don't see where all the confidence comes from. GWU played Ga. Tech the best running team in the ACC last season to a 10-7 loss and held the ACC's leading rusher to under 50 yards. If that GWU defense shows up on Sept. 12 then the Cats will have their hands full. I saw Western play 3 times last year against Elon, Wofford and Furman and they could not stop the passing game nor could they avoid shooting themselves in the foot on Offense. I see both WCU and GWU as improving, whether either turns that into several more wins, only time will tell. I hope the Cat's players show up on Sept 12th with as much over confidence as you have and overlook their little FCS brother down the mountain. If that happens, you might have to eat a little crow you know. By the way it's Coach Patton, not Paton. xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

clinchBoy
June 12th, 2009, 06:31 PM
spell it how you want , eagle dawg... either way he is a joke. As long as that guy is there as the head guy then it is obvious GWU does not put the priority to win football games near what it should be. If the talent is close on the field then give the edge to the other team, because of that guy alone! He will lose 2 games a year for you guys all by himself.

EagleDawg
June 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Why all the hostility towards the head coach at GWU. Are you a disgruntled GWU fan, what's the deal. GWU has put quite a bit of money into facility upgrades over the last several years and the overall quality of their last few recruiting classes appears to be improving as well. Again time will tell but if you are a GWU fan, and they do show improvement, for goodness sakes, give the player's some support, you could even choose to toss Patton a bone. Oh one other thing, clearly GA. Tech was the superior team last fall so do just the players get the credit for playing a superior team tight down to the wire in spite of the coaching or did the coaches have a pretty good game plan for that one.

g-webb1994
June 12th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I lost a bunch of respect I had for Patton after hearing from several different sources that he enjoys going to Vegas in his free time. We know how the NCAA looks at any type of gambling, and you would think G-Webb would still have some sort of mettle to stand on the Christian principles that the school itself was founded on.

Patton seems to be a nice guy and all, but the program IMHO is stagnant. Repeated 6-5 efforts just don't cut it, especially in a supposed 'weaker' conference. Anyone around the program knows that Joe Pizzo does a bulk of the dirty work, how G-W keeps him around as beyond me.

EagleDawg
June 12th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Well I guess I have been surprised again. What started as a thread about GWU vs WCU has now been turned into National Bash Steve Patton Day. The head coach apparently is good for at least two losses a season no matter what his players or the opposing team does, it's said he even goes to Vegas in his free time. Can't help but think he may have a glass of wine with dinner too, now that's some really bad stuff. I bet he might even allow his players to look at girls on campus for more than 5 seconds. I don't know, maybe the guy can't coach a dang bit but there are 14 new young men who signed with GWU this season. I'm certain that he has the confidence of them, their parents, the rest of the team, his staff and apparently the university. Let's see what the Dawgs do this season. I guess every school in the Big South except for Liberty and Stony Brook needs to be looking for new head coaches if they are each held to the same standard as you guys are holding Patton.

Mountaineer
June 12th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Either of you guys could coach G-Dub and a victory over the Cantamounts wouldn't be that much of a surprise. xlolx

catamount man
June 13th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Either of you guys could coach G-Dub and a victory over the Cantamounts wouldn't be that much of a surprise. xlolx

Funny, I don't recall assclown being on the menu? xcoffeex xwhistlex xthumbsupx

g-webb1994
June 14th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Well I guess I have been surprised again. What started as a thread about GWU vs WCU has now been turned into National Bash Steve Patton Day. The head coach apparently is good for at least two losses a season no matter what his players or the opposing team does, it's said he even goes to Vegas in his free time. Can't help but think he may have a glass of wine with dinner too, now that's some really bad stuff. I bet he might even allow his players to look at girls on campus for more than 5 seconds. I don't know, maybe the guy can't coach a dang bit but there are 14 new young men who signed with GWU this season. I'm certain that he has the confidence of them, their parents, the rest of the team, his staff and apparently the university. Let's see what the Dawgs do this season. I guess every school in the Big South except for Liberty and Stony Brook needs to be looking for new head coaches if they are each held to the same standard as you guys are holding Patton.

Do we dare go the academic performance route, which is actually more of a disappointment since Patton is a Furman grad, and should have a bit more of an appreciation for academic standards?

Patton is a nice guy and all, but the two major 'money makers' at G-W, football and mens hoops, are stuck on neutral or reverse, and are in dire need of a fresh start, which won't happen under the watch of AD Burch or President Bonner.

EagleDawg
June 15th, 2009, 07:53 AM
:)G-Webb1994 - First, I am new to the GWU discussion but am hopeful and optimistic, primarily for my son's sake who will arriving at GWU soon to start the second session of summer school and begin voluntary work-outs so I don't know the background which forms yours and others opinions. I will say I was concerned after a Wofford poster questioned GWU's APR (Academic Progress Report) numbers but they are improving and hopefully will continue to improve. There are many things that affect APR's, especially at the FCS level and at a private school where the costs are relatively high to attend. If a student athlete leaves for any reason, even those reasons that are not academic related at all, they have a negative impact on the APR number. If what you say is true about the president and AD not making changes then it would seem to be a case where one works to change the president and AD and support the coaching staffs and the teams in everyway possible. There just doesn't seem to be any value in being negative about things that apparently can't or won't be changed, let's all do what we can in our own little way to be positive and improve not only the image but the performance of the Runnin Dawgs. Playing 2 D1 schools, playing a SOCON member and with Liberty showing the strength they have the last couple of seasons, a 5-6 or 6-5 record while not satisfying is not a doomsday season. Yeah, I want to see the Dawgs go 9-2 or 8-3 on a regular basis and as the overall talent depth at GWU improves, there is reason to believe that is attainable. At this time why you play to win every game, the odds are not in the Dawgs favor to beat the Ga. Tech's, NC States, Miss. States, Buffalo's, App. States or Woffords. The obvious first step is start taking care of business in conference and move forward from there. Of course every other team is tying to do the same and no matter how good teams may be, you're only gonna have one conference champion each season. Let's hope the Dawgs can climb that mountain. Long winded a bit but no apologies for that. :):)

clinchBoy
June 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
EagleDawg
Playing 2 D1 schools, playing a SOCON member and with Liberty showing the strength they have the last couple of seasons, a 5-6 or 6-5 record while not satisfying is not a doomsday season. Yeah, I want to see the Dawgs go 9-2 or 8-3 on a regular basis and as the overall talent depth at GWU improves, there is reason to believe that is attainable. At this time why you play to win every game, the odds are not in the Dawgs favor to beat the Ga. Tech's, NC States, Miss. States, Buffalo's, App. States or Woffords

GW has finished 6-5 or 5-6 the last 6 yrs. At the end of the season noone cares who you played. They care about your record. They should care about getting to the playoffs. You are right, GW did play a superior team close in G Tech. If you are
in to moral victories, but they should have won. If only paton wasn't on the sideline to call for a fake punt on their own 25 in the 2nd quarter when G Tech couldn't even gain a first down. Paton flopped on that one too! Reminded me of any number of Coastal C. games. Blame it on Burch. Him and Paton must be cut from the same cloth, cuz thats the only way to explain why that joke of a coach is around.

GridFan
June 15th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Eagle, don't sweat it.

I'd guess clinchBoy may be a disgruntled former player who didn't get as much playing time as he would've liked. Just a guess. There are a handful who always think the reason they don't/haven't played is the coaches' fault.

G-W will be fine in 2009 and 2010. I don't know if they'll beat Western Carolina or not, but they won't struggle with Mars Hill. They'll be as good or better on defense than they've ever been. Up front, at linebacker and in the secondary. This is a seven win team without any major upsets in their favor.

As far as the school's A.D. and president, you won't find anyone on the planet with more character and love for the school and its athletic program. Two great men. If you have a chance to meet either or both, you'll understand that completely. They want G-W to win, and to win the right way.

Thumper250
June 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Agreed on Burch and Bonner. Great people in general, but also the right people in charge. Very pleased that a school the size of Gardner-Webb can have two men of their quality leading the way.

As far as bashing the head coach, I'm with Eagle Dawg. No good can come of it. Its normally sour grapes. I don't know the guy personally, and I don't care about what he does with his time off the field.

Once the program has equitable resources to other programs in the Big South, if the wins aren't up to standard, then I would think eventually a change would be looked into. Right now, from what I know, the resources are much better than five or six years ago, but still a good bit behind the top tier of the league. That is something that is getting up to speed though.

EagleDawg
June 15th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Grid and Thumper - Not sweating it and I did have a chance to meet President Bonner and AD Burch this past March and they do come across as men of great character. Even though this is just a public message board and it's fine to have dissent or varying opinions, it is frustrating to hear coaches, players, schools, etc. get trashed. I'm old school in a way. If you got problems with something go try and fix it don't just stand there and talk about it all day. I like the Runnin Dawgs at 7-4, maybe better if things break there way. The game at WCU and the conference opener against VMI are two huge games in terms of seasonal momentum. Win those two and things could turn out pretty good. I know NC State will be a huge favorite but they have had a tendency to play poorly early in the season at home against lesser opponents but they usually still pull it out in the 4th qtr. but you never know, Ga. Tech was relieved to get out of that game with GWU last fall.

GridFan
June 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I think honestly you'd be hard pressed to find a group of linebackers in the country as good collectively as Mario Brown, Jeff Williams, Marty Patterson, Dami Teniola and Quan Jackson.

EagleDawg
June 15th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Grid - Agreed, LB is definitely a strength, also several of the recruits coming in, especially playing along the lines are being looked at to help. Don't know that any may start but they will add depth, improve the competition in practice and with more depth you can push the contact in practices more as well. All of these things help improve a team.

g-webb1994
June 15th, 2009, 11:20 PM
:)G-Webb1994 - First, I am new to the GWU discussion but am hopeful and optimistic, primarily for my son's sake who will arriving at GWU soon to start the second session of summer school and begin voluntary work-outs so I don't know the background which forms yours and others opinions. I will say I was concerned after a Wofford poster questioned GWU's APR (Academic Progress Report) numbers but they are improving and hopefully will continue to improve. There are many things that affect APR's, especially at the FCS level and at a private school where the costs are relatively high to attend. If a student athlete leaves for any reason, even those reasons that are not academic related at all, they have a negative impact on the APR number. If what you say is true about the president and AD not making changes then it would seem to be a case where one works to change the president and AD and support the coaching staffs and the teams in everyway possible. There just doesn't seem to be any value in being negative about things that apparently can't or won't be changed, let's all do what we can in our own little way to be positive and improve not only the image but the performance of the Runnin Dawgs. Playing 2 D1 schools, playing a SOCON member and with Liberty showing the strength they have the last couple of seasons, a 5-6 or 6-5 record while not satisfying is not a doomsday season. Yeah, I want to see the Dawgs go 9-2 or 8-3 on a regular basis and as the overall talent depth at GWU improves, there is reason to believe that is attainable. At this time why you play to win every game, the odds are not in the Dawgs favor to beat the Ga. Tech's, NC States, Miss. States, Buffalo's, App. States or Woffords. The obvious first step is start taking care of business in conference and move forward from there. Of course every other team is tying to do the same and no matter how good teams may be, you're only gonna have one conference champion each season. Let's hope the Dawgs can climb that mountain. Long winded a bit but no apologies for that. :):)

OK...but a hint.....a paragraph is a beautiful thing!xlolxxnodx

As for the Burch lovefest going on here on the thread, why don't you ask some of the fine Liberty people their opinion of the man who stood by and jeopardized the academic reputation of the entire institution (G-W not LU) while getting the grade of a basketball player changed.xwhistlex

EagleDawg
June 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM
G-Webb1994, Got it on the paragraph thing. As a GWU newbie I certainly don't know all the deails on the grade thing several years ago but I heard, you guessed it, a Wofford poster comment on it.

I though the former president was tied up in that deal and that's why he's no longer there. Seems if a president is rightfully forced out for that gross misstep then the AD if involved would have been cleansed too. Just doesn't seem logical any other way. His still being there would seem to indicate that he has the full trust and faith of the current President (Bonner) and I haven't heard anyone question his integrity.

I'm open to further comment on this stuff but really would like to talk about the football stuff?

GridFan
June 16th, 2009, 09:30 AM
C'man 94, that issue with the basketball players' grade had nothing to do with the A.D. Me thinks you might have put too much stock in that local paper during those days, or perhaps some people on campus who had an axe to grind.

Fact of the matter is that whole deal fell mostly on the prez, who is long gone. Trust me on that. I honestly don't understand your beef with the coaches and administration. The place (G-W) is much better off than it was 10-15 years ago during the NAIA and D2 days. Things are looking up.

Academic standards are rising, and athletically it's very common to read about national and regional awards for athletes' success in school. Not every kid (athlete or not) who applies gets in to school (and they did 15 years ago with very little exception). Academics are very important, and stressed, within the athletic department (and they weren't 15+ years ago). Those improvements come from the top. I've only met Mr. Burch a handful times, true, but I know people who I value greatly at the school who love his leadership and the vision.

As a former athlete, when the teams don't play as well as I think they should, I get just as frustrated as the next guy. But dang it, all I can do is cheer when I get a chance to watch in person and hope for the best. Having watched this thing grow from afar since the move up, I honestly see progress. Hopefully that will show up on the field this year.

EagleDawg
June 16th, 2009, 09:39 AM
GridFan - You got it right, most folks that I hear talk of GWU say that things are improving across the board with all things athletic at GWU. I believe this fall's football team has a solid chance to continue that progress. They have a tough schedule with a heavy dose of road games early and need to at least gain a split of the NC State, Buffalo, WCU and VMI games. That's a tough order but with the experience they have coming back, the D can hold up and the offense just needs to avoid costly mistakes. Hopefully, a little more in the run game can help in that area.

GridFan
June 16th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Sorry EDawg, 1994, Thumper. Had to share that opinion. Don't like people bad mouthing others who seem to be trying to make things better. Let's move on.

Alas, football.

Looking at what the team has coming back from 2008, I see positives on defense at linebacker (obviously) and at end with the Woods kid as a pass rusher. The secondary lost some experience at safety and the corners had some troubles at times, but have shown flashes in the past. If experience counts for much, I think that side of the ball should be better, and I hope that holds true.

Offensively, I'm not sure yet. Trey Perry was a good secondary receiver last year behind Collins with 50 catches or so. Somebody else is going to have to step up at that position for sure, but I'm not sure who will be that person. Running backs seem like they've been here forever. Peoples was pretty good late last year and is the biggest of that group. The radio guy mentioned during the last game at Liberty that there was a very good RB from up north (Jersey maybe?) who redshirted in 2008 and was a horse.

OL lost a good one in Deese. I think the other four starters are back, but I could be wrong there. The big tall guard is pretty good (ODaniels) and the other tackle isn't bad. They signed some good ones two years ago who redshirted, and some more this year who might play as freshmen.

Doolittle, Rock and Eppley are the quarterbacks returning, and the freshman kid from Raleigh is supposedly a horse too. Stan has the experience edge for sure and I think if he can stay healthy will have a good year.

I'm still with Eagle Dawg on the win guess. I think you'd have to be happy with 7-4. If you pull an unexpected win over Liberty or Coastal, and take care of business at home, 8-3 wouldn't be shocking. With a pair of FBS teams on tap though, 6-5 in 2009 isn't doomsday at all.

If Western is as improved as the Catamount fans say, then winning in Cullowhee will be very difficult. Not impossible though.

clinchBoy
June 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM
GridFan - You got it right, most folks that I hear talk of GWU say that things are improving across the board with all things athletic at GWU. I believe this fall's football team has a solid chance to continue that progress. They have a tough schedule with a heavy dose of road games early and need to at least gain a split of the NC State, Buffalo, WCU and VMI games. That's a tough order but with the experience they have coming back, the D can hold up and the offense just needs to avoid costly mistakes. Hopefully, a little more in the run game can help in that area.

GW will lose all four of those games that you mentioned above. Mark it down. It will be a long year. Im sure those freshman are a good bunch, too bad they are freshman. You can't count on those guys Eagle Dawg, they are too young and inexperienced. The d wont hold up against the run. THe lb's are solid, I just don't see the DL being able to get it done well enough to let those lb's play. GW will rely on the blitz because they won't get to the qb without it. That will open up for big plays down field. On offense they better hope for a strong run game to keep the D off the field and to keep Doolittle from having to throw the ball to win. And take into account that dope of a HC on the sideline for GW, 5 wins will be about it, so it sounds like an average year at GW. xbawlingx

EagleDawg
June 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM
ClinchBoy - Please tell me you're not a G-Webb fan If so, do you go to the games If so where do you sit? I want to be at the opposite end of the stadium. I went to UNC Games for years and this one guy over the years I sat behind him never uttered a positive word. You might have as much fun staying at home and kicking your own dog, try and leave our Dawgs alone.

If the Runnin Dawgs win at least one of those 4 will you come back and post something positive. Otherwise, the rest of us GWU fans might start referring to you as GrinchBoy. xlolxxlolxxlolx

clinchBoy
June 16th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I call it how I see it. If you don't like it... sorry. This is a message board that is open to all who wish to discuss FCS football. I just choose the opposite end of the spectrum as you on the topic of GWU and WCU. What's wrong with that? It's my opinion, not yours. Get over it! I just know that it all starts at the top. And from what I hear, the guy at the top is more concerned with his golf handicap and his next getaway to the nearest casino than he is with his football team. We will see who is closer to the correct record in the end. I say anywhere from 3-8 to 5-6.

OLDLCOACH111
June 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I for one am worried about GWU depth particularly on the defensive line. This past season GWU had about 4 guys on that front line that rotated between positions and brought a different level of speed and athleticism which was hard for teams to defend…..

I felt that the d-line was the biggest reason why GWU was so good against the run last year..... With 3 of those guys graduating it kind of worries me.....

Other than that, the linebacker corps should be one of the best in the country with 2 all Americans and 3 all conference players coming back...

This next year should be interesting.... I’m predicting 7-4 with two of the losses coming from NC State and Buffalo.

EagleDawg
June 16th, 2009, 06:38 PM
clinch - I'm not saying you aren't entitled to your opinion. I'm just trying to get an idea as to whether you're a G-Webb fan although one's that disgruntled or do you pull for someone else. If the latter, it's hard to see why you want to post all the negative stuff about a program that you have no connection to. Why not put the energy into positve comments about your own team instead of loading up on what you describe at best as a mediocre FCS team. Nothing easier than shooting fish in a barrel, right? Wow, an expert marksman may be in our midst. I call em like I see em too. From what you hear sounds to me like you need to start listening to somebody else. That's just my opinion of course.

EagleDawg
June 16th, 2009, 06:45 PM
OldCoach111 - The D-line has a couple of outstanding recruits coming in. Nick Stone 6-3, 245 and Matt Goods, 6-3, 275. I've watched film on these guys and they will help and play early. The Goods, kid coming from a prep school is a year older than most incoming freshman and has the size, strength and maturity to make an immediate impact (he's a Rivals 3-Star recruit). Time will tell but this team has a chance to go 7-4 for sure and the coaching staff is building the kind of depth you need to improve a program. Nothing is ever guaranteed, that's why they play the game, right? I like your outlook. xnodxxnodxxnodx

g-webb1994
June 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM
C'man 94, that issue with the basketball players' grade had nothing to do with the A.D. Me thinks you might have put too much stock in that local paper during those days, or perhaps some people on campus who had an axe to grind.

Fact of the matter is that whole deal fell mostly on the prez, who is long gone. Trust me on that. I honestly don't understand your beef with the coaches and administration. The place (G-W) is much better off than it was 10-15 years ago during the NAIA and D2 days. Things are looking up.

Academic standards are rising, and athletically it's very common to read about national and regional awards for athletes' success in school. Not every kid (athlete or not) who applies gets in to school (and they did 15 years ago with very little exception). Academics are very important, and stressed, within the athletic department (and they weren't 15+ years ago). Those improvements come from the top. I've only met Mr. Burch a handful times, true, but I know people who I value greatly at the school who love his leadership and the vision.

As a former athlete, when the teams don't play as well as I think they should, I get just as frustrated as the next guy. But dang it, all I can do is cheer when I get a chance to watch in person and hope for the best. Having watched this thing grow from afar since the move up, I honestly see progress. Hopefully that will show up on the field this year.

Just who in the heck do you think went to the former President White with the 'request' to 'reinterpret' Carlos Webb's cheating F grade...the tooth fairy? Hint.....his initials are C.B., and that is stone concrete fact.

OK, we'll pass for now....just find it hard to see credibility with the right hand man of the ousted President now being President after a supposed 'nationwide search', and both the AD and head hoops coach not even getting any disciplinary action, even after NCAA probation resulted, but yet, several faculty members get unceremoniously demoted, shown the door, etc. for just standing on academic principle.

The south part of campus has blossomed with new facilities, scholarship money, etc. yet the word 'scholarship endowment' is to be found nowhere near the Gardner-Webb campus.xsmhx

Now back on topic, sorry if my football view is not seen through scarlet and black glasses. With the talent in place, G-W should finish no worse than 8-3, meaning we will tank and limp to a 6-5 or 5-6 record again, which IMHO, shows a stagnant program that needs some fresh blood. We came into a weak Big South and rolled for two years, then the other programs caught up and some have passed us, and G-W hasn't adjusted.

clinchBoy
June 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
gwebb 1994
G-W should finish no worse than 8-3, meaning we will tank and limp to a 6-5 or 5-6 record again, which IMHO, shows a stagnant program that needs some fresh blood. We came into a weak Big South and rolled for two years, then the other programs caught up and some have passed us, and G-W hasn't adjusted.

Amen!

Libertine
June 18th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I heard that Kris King just left the G-W staff to be an offensive GA at UAB. How do you Dawg fans think that affects you?

EagleDawg
June 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Wouldn't think it would be a major issue and as with most young GA's, it's normal to see a lot of movement between schools until they land an assistant coach position. G-Webb has seen a couple of other changes since last season w/ last season's O-line coach departing, last season's D-line coach Doolittle moving over to O-line and an experienced new D-line coach being brought in. With all that said, the changes hopefully will have a positive effect as the overall experience of the staff has improved and Coach Doolittle is a no non-sense, old school type coach who should help add a little nasty streak to the O-line. That's gotta help a bit with a spread Offensive scheme which may try to get a little more out of the run game. All IMHO.

The Cats
June 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Enough guys..... you will not win in Cullowhee.

EagleDawg
June 18th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Little cat, big cat, it don't matter. Feline vs canine, well we know how most of those battles turn out. The Dawgs can take this one in an exciting seesaw type game in what most will say is a medium upset. Vandy will take the pre-season swagger out of the Cats the week before, the Dawgs get some momentum against Mars Hill and the table is set for the Big South to steal one against the SOCON. It sounds like a plan to me.xnodxxnodxxnodx

WCU LawCat
June 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Mars Hill may beat GW...seriously.

EagleDawg
June 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Seriously....just another feline (Mars Hill Lions), which means the RunninDawgs gotta a decent chance. They even took a bite out of a Wildcat on the hardwood not long ago, just ask them folks from Kentucky. Just something about cats and dogs you know.xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

wilddog96
June 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I like the way you think EagleDawg

The Cats
June 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
the RunninDawgs gotta a decent chance.

Problem is the " RunninDawgs" is runnin the wrong way..... xrulesx

What the heck is a "runnin bullfrog...er dog" any way?????

EagleDawg
June 18th, 2009, 09:52 PM
The Cats - Uh, if the dog ain't runnin, he sure can't catch the kitty and if he is runnin and the kitty gets caught, well it ain't a pretty picture. I've seen it sho enough! And if the kitty thinks he's badder than the dog, well, that cat deserves what he get's.

EagleDawg
June 18th, 2009, 09:54 PM
wilddog96 - good to hear from you. You heading to Boiling Springs next Wed. to help get the new pups settled?

GridFan
June 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
The WCU fans don't know a whole lot about the Bulldogs roster at all, obviously. There is plenty of talent there. Plenty. Especially on defense which we've covered. Two All-American linebackers, and basically five starters rotating between three spots. The D-Line will be salty with Goods and Stone joining a couple veterans. Jordan Woods is pretty dang good too.

wilddog96
June 19th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Yea, Austin is so excited but me and Stacy are a little sad. This will leave us with a empty nest.

EagleDawg
June 19th, 2009, 01:04 PM
wilddog96 - Empty nest, us too. See you guys on Wed. Lot of fun times ahead though, especially those fall tailgates and watching our boys take the field and hopefully contribute to a lot of RunninBulldog victories.

The Cats
June 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
The WCU fans don't know a whole lot about the Bulldogs roster at all, obviously.

It's quite obvious the reverse holds true as well.

Keep in mind, last season Western was coming off a 1-10 season.... and along with Western wins last year, there was a 3 point loss to Liberty (a 30-10 winner over the runnindogs), a 7 point loss to Furman, and a 7 point loss to Georgia Southern.

The Cats now have a full season with Coach Wagner under their belts, two recruiting classes by Wagner, and a team attitude that now thinks and expects to win every game they play (a far different mind set than under Coach Briggs). You will see a much improved, disciplined, and confident team this year in Cullowhee than the one Kent Briggs brought '04 to Boiling Springs.

GridFan
June 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Then Cats my friend, it should be a good game.

wilddog96
June 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I can't wait. See you guys Wed.