PDA

View Full Version : National Publication Rates FCS Players Among FBS Players

smallcollegefbfan
June 4th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I usually would not encourage folks to pick up a copy of a magazine that has just FBS teams in it but the Phil Steele national mag has ranked some FCS players such as AE, Matt McCracken, Scott Sicko, etc. among the FBS players. I think they missed a few guys but it is always good to see a few players given that attention. You can order it online at www.philsteele.com and the ACC/Big East and Pac-10 regionals will have FCS information in there as well for those who want their team previews.

I heard through the grapevine that CSN will have a magazine this year as well.

Great to see we will have 2 FCS previews! Anyone know if CSN is going to publish a book or if it will be online in PDF only this year?

Syntax Error
June 5th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I heard through the grapevine that CSN will have a magazine this year as well.
Great to see we will have 2 FCS previews! Anyone know if CSN is going to publish a book or if it will be online in PDF only this year?CSN always has a yearbook. No surprise there.

What other FCS yearbook is there? I know several FBS books have FCS sections but I only know of one FCS book (CSN). I would imagine that, like school books, the CSN book will be in pdf format.

jmufan999
June 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
i'd love to know more about Sicko.... i've listened to a few UNH games but haven't seen him play in any. all the ones i've tried to watch have been audio only.

maybe a UNH fan could give a quick scouting report? if he's rated as highly as he apparently is, i take it he's more of a pass-catching TE as opposed to more of a blocking TE? Antonio Gates as opposed to Jim Kleinsasser, for instance....???

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2009, 09:58 AM
i'd love to know more about Sicko.... i've listened to a few UNH games but haven't seen him play in any. all the ones i've tried to watch have been audio only.

maybe a UNH fan could give a quick scouting report? if he's rated as highly as he apparently is, i take it he's more of a pass-catching TE as opposed to more of a blocking TE? Antonio Gates as opposed to Jim Kleinsasser, for instance....???

From what I saw of Sicko, in 3 games, he is a great pass catching threat. He runs pretty well and has good hands. Blocking is his big weakness. He will try to block at times but can't sustain very well and gets turned out by bigger opponents. He is one of the best pass catching threats I have seen in a while. I think Clay Harbor of Missouri State is the best TE because he can block very well and rarely drops a pass. Both of them need to bulk up for the next level. Harbor is the better NFL prospect at this point from what I am hearing. He could go in the 6th or 7th round.

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
CSN always has a yearbook. No surprise there.

What other FCS yearbook is there? I know several FBS books have FCS sections but I only know of one FCS book (CSN). I would imagine that, like school books, the CSN book will be in pdf format.

The Phil Steele book is going to have FBS in it but half of it will be entirely devoted to FCS. I imagine that if demand is big enough they will move to putting out a FCS yearbook in stores.

Syntax Error
June 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
It would be great to have another national FCS book.

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
It would be great to have another national FCS book.

Agreed! xthumbsupx Wonder if maybe one of these websites such as FCS Now, Pete's Poll, etc. would ever do one so we could have 3 or 4 yearbooks like they do in FBS?

mcveyrl
June 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Agreed! xthumbsupx Wonder if maybe one of these websites such as FCS Now, Pete's Poll, etc. would ever do one so we could have 3 or 4 yearbooks like they do in FBS?

xeekxxeekx

I would LOVE to see Pete's yearbook. If it ever comes out, I will take responsibility for posting the over/under for posts in that thread.

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
xeekxxeekx

I would LOVE to see Pete's yearbook. If it ever comes out, I will take responsibility for posting the over/under for posts in that thread.

xlolx xlolx xrotatehx :D

Syntax Error
June 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Wonder if maybe one of these websites such as FCS NowOh, the website that claims it is the best and has been around for years? xlolx

bluehenbillk
June 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm looking forward to picking up Phil Steele's mag, it's the bible.

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I'm looking forward to picking up Phil Steele's mag, it's the bible.

Their national mag for FBS is out and it is REALLY thick and PACKED with information. I am sure the FCS content will be the same way. It has an example of a write-up with Richmond used. It looks pretty good.

Syntax Error
June 5th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I am sure the FCS content will be the same way. It has an example of a write-up with Richmond used. It looks pretty good.Um, didn't you write it? xeyebrowx

bluehenbillk
June 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Their national mag for FBS is out and it is REALLY thick and PACKED with information. I am sure the FCS content will be the same way. It has an example of a write-up with Richmond used. It looks pretty good.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/May09/DBMay31.html

Here's the info on his FCS preview for this year.....

Reading his preview is like reading that old sports newspaper from the early 90's, the National, you can just lose yourself in all the info - great stuff. That's what helps me get through the summer, that & watching the World Champs play baseball.

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Um, didn't you write it? xeyebrowx

No I did not. I think Jim Seman is the one who writes the team capsules.

Syntax Error
June 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM
No I did not. I think Jim Seman is the one who writes the team capsules.Okay, thanks for the info (The former Phil Seman changed his name to Steele because he thought it sounded better for the magazine (http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2007/08/15/phil-steeles-got-a-secret/))! xthumbsupx I was talking about the thread topic, "ranked some FCS players ... among the FBS players. "

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Okay, thanks for the info (The former Phil Seman changed his name to Steele because he thought it sounded better for the magazine (http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2007/08/15/phil-steeles-got-a-secret/))! xthumbsupx I was talking about the thread topic, "ranked some FCS players ... among the FBS players. "

No they are two people. There is a Phil Steele and Jim Seman. Maybe he did change his name but I know there is a Jim and Phil there.

Syntax Error
June 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
No they are two people. There is a Phil Steele and Jim Seman. Maybe he did change his name but I know there is a Jim and Phil there.Did not insinuate that JIM Seman was PHIL. I dunno. But PHIL apparently is a Seman too. I know, big whoop-ti-do. xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
June 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Did not insinuate that JIM Seman was PHIL. I dunno. But PHIL apparently is a Seman too. I know, big whoop-ti-do. xlolx

Maybe so.

Phil is one of the best and perhaps the most respected of all the writers. He knows his stuff. It is funny though how you will see something in his mag such as picking a team 10th or 12th and everyone else will have them unrated and he turns out to be right. His FBS info is very good and to be honest is the only FBS mag I take seriously because of the time and effort put into it. He is probably the only person who does notes on the 3rd and 4th string QB of most teams. You can sit like this xreadx for weeks and weeks and if you wanted to read the whole magazine probably could not do it before the season kicks off. :D