PDA

View Full Version : JMU Loses More Key Players

BDKJMU
June 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=38324&CHID=3&sub=

So far that makes 4 likely starters lost this offseason, 3 of them returnig starters:

-DT J.D. Skolnitsky- 2 yr starter who would have been a 5th yr senior, suspended for his 5th season for testing positive for a banned substance alledgedly from an OTC supplement. Was given a free agent contract by the Redskins
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=34727&CHID=3
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/44409547.html

-Safety Gerrin Griffin- 2 yr starter, out 6 months for operation, should be able to get a medical redshirt for a 6th year in 2010. Would have moved from his starting weak safety position to free safety to take over for departed AA Marcus Haywood, who took over for 4 time AA Tony Lezotte. The streak of 5 straight years with an AA free safety will end...

-OG Arthur Walker- academically ineligible. Would have been a RSo. He took over one of the starting guard spots for Vernon Eason, a 2 yr starter 06'-07' who had 2 years eligibility left who left the team in the winter of 08' for personal reasons.

-DE Quintrell Thomas. Would have been a RJr. A good possibility to start as de end. Kicked off the team for undisclosed rules violations.

2 deep from last season (and likely would have been again this season) or who would have likely been 2 deep lost this offseason:

-LB Colin-Fitz Maurice: would be a RSo. Career ending neck injury. Possibly would have been a starter, but more likely would have likely been the #3 or #4 LB, behind returning starter Jamie Veney & RFr Chase Williams who looked very good in the Spring. *Other returning starter at LB, Vidal Nelson, was moved back to safety.

-LB Reggie Hicks, would be a RSr. Graduated and elected not to return for his 5th yr. Would have been the 2nd LB on the 2 deep.

-LB Josh Johnson, would be a RFr. Highly touted recruit. MM apparently said if it wasn't for his injury (I recall he had a surgery before the 08' season) he would have played last yr as a true freshman. I guess it was a medical issue with him? Another likely 2 deep LB.

-OL Chris Clarke: Would be a RSr. Graduated and elected not to return for his 5th year. The last 2 seasons has been the top backup on the OL. Can play all 5 positions, but wasn't considered talented enough to be a starter.

-WR Doug McNeil, would be a RSo. Academically ineligible. Was either the 6th or 7th receiver last season, and would have likely been the 5th or 6th receiver this season, so that makes him a 2 deep loss.

-FB Trae Kenney: would be a RSr. Graduated and elected not to return for his 5th season. 2nd string fullback, and would have been again behind senior Charlie Newman. Kenney would have only seen special teams and mop up duty, so this doesn't hurt much.

-Cornerback Josh Baird: Would be a RSr. Graduated and elected not to return for his 5th season.Was the 5th cornerback last season. Likely would have been on the 2 deep this season as the 4th corner playing a role on special teams.

So instead of 7 starters (from the 2nd half of the season) returning on both sides of the ball JMU is looking at only 6 on offense and 5 on defense and less depth on the 2 deep. Only 1 confirmed likely I-A transfer who's a likely starter in Middleton from Syracuse.

Of 11 likely 2 deep players lost in the offseason:
4 graduated and elected not to return for their 5th yr.
3 are medical reasons
2 are academically ineligible
1 kicked off the team
1 for testing positive for a banned substance.

When it rains, it pours. I can't remember an offseason like this in a long time. xsmhx My outlook for JMU has gone to thinking 9-2/8-3 to 7-4/6-5. No way should JMU be ranked in anyone's preseason top 10 now, even top 15. If JMU were to make the playoffs this season it would be Matthew's best coaching job ever. I know some of the JMU haters will be rejoicing, but JMU likely now only start 3 seniors on both sides of the ball, heck on the whole 2 deep for that matter, so barring another offseason like this one, JMU should be back in the National title hunt in 2010.

Tribe4SF
June 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
As I said on the JMU board, this is reminiscent of Delaware a couple of years ago. Certainly looking like a rebuilding year for the Dukes.

The o-line was already a question mark, and now looks like a major area of concern. The secondary now missing 4 of 5 starters from last year. Depth has become a serious issue in every area of the defense.

GannonFan
June 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
The offensive line questions are the biggest - OL's matter a lot on every team, but with the way JMU likes to run its offense, it's even more important to that program. Certainly is the chance that maybe some unkown could step into the void, but the OL has carried JMU when they've been good and I can't see Mickey being able to make drastic changes offensively to get around a suspect line.

Hoyadestroya85
June 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Damn.. this isn't looking too good for the Dukes. Skolnitsky was a good player I remember hearing Mickey Quoted as saying he was his best pro prospect he's had since he was at JMU.

PapaBear
June 4th, 2009, 12:44 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=38324&CHID=3&sub=

So far that makes 4 likely starters lost this offseason, 3 of them returnig starters:

-DT J.D. Skolnitsky- 2 yr starter who would have been a 5th yr senior, suspended for his 5th season for testing positive for a banned substance alledgedly from an OTC supplement. Was given a free agent contract by the Redskins
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=34727&CHID=3
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/44409547.html

-Safety Gerrin Griffin- 2 yr starter, out 6 months for operation, should be able to get a medical redshirt for a 6th year in 2010. Would have moved from his starting weak safety position to strong safety to take over for departed AA Marcus Haywood, who took over for 4 time AA Tony Lezotte. The streak of 5 straight years with an AA strong safety will end...

-OG Arthur Walker- academically ineligible. Would have been a RSo. He took over one of the starting guard spots for Vernon Eason, a 2 yr starter 06'-07' who had 2years eligibility left who left the team in the winter of 08' for personal reasons.

-DE Quintrell Thomas. Would have been a RJr. A good possibility to start as de end. Kicked off the team for undisclosed rules violations

2 deep from last season (and likely would have been again this season) or who would have likely been 2 deep lost this offseason:

-LB Colin-Fitz Maurice: would be a RS0. Career ending neck injury. Possibly would have been a starter, but more likely would have likely been the #3 or #4 LB, behind returning starter Jamie Veney & RFr Chase Williams who looked very good in the Spring. *Other returning starter at LB, Vidal Nelson, was moved back to safety.

-LB Reggie Hicks, would be a RSr. Graduated and elected not to return for his 5th yr. Would have been the 2nd LB on the 2 deep.

-OL Chris Clarke: Would be a RSr. Graduated and elected not to return for his 5th year. The last 2 seasons has been the top backup on the OL. Can play all 5 positions, but wasn't considered talented enough to be a starter.

-WR Doug McNeil, would be a RSo. Academically ineligible. Was either the 6th or 7th receiver last season, and would have likely been the 5th or 6th receiver this season, so that makes him a 2 deep loss.

-FB Trae Kenney: would be a RSr. Graduated and elected not to return for his 5th season. 2nd string fullback, and would have been again behind senior Charlie Newman. Kenney would have only seen special teams and mop up duty, so this doesn't hurt much.

-Cornerback Josh Baird: Would be a RSr. Graduated and elected not to return for his 5th season.Was the 5th cornerback last season. Likely would have been on the 2 deep this season as the 4th corner playing a role on special teams.

So instead of 7 starters (from the 2nd half of the season) returning on both sides of the ball JMU is looking at only 6 on offense and 5 on defense and less depth on the 2 deep. Only 1 confirmed likely I-A transfer who's a likely starter in Middleton from Syracuse.

Of 10 likely 2 deep players lost in the offseason:
4 graduated and elcted not to return for their 5th yr.
2 are academically ineligible
2 are medical reasons
1 kicked off the team
1 for testing positive for a banned substance.

When it rains, it pours. I can't remember an offseason like this in a long time. xsmhx My outlook for JMU has gone to thinking 9-2/8-3 to 7-4/6-5. No way should JMU be ranked in anyone's preseason top 10 now, even top 15. If JMU wwere to make the playoffs this season it would be Matthew's best coaching job ever. I know some of the JMU haters will be rejoicing, but JMU likely now only start 3 seniors on both sides of the ball, heck on the whole 2 deep for that matter, so barring another offseason like this one, JMU should be back in the National title hunt in 2010.

Sandbagger.xwhistlex

WMTribe90
June 4th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I had JMU finishing fourth in the South before the latest round of unexpected losses. Not counting them out of course, but this is looking more and more like a rebuilding and not a reloading year for the Dukes.

Based on current information:

1) UR
2) VU
3) WM
4) UD
5) JMU
6) Towson

UR and VU are a full step above 3 through 5 to start the season. I want to put VU at 1, but they always seem to drop a headscratcher due to inconsistent play (slow start or fade down the stretch). UD, JMU and WM all have question marks, but by a slim margin I think WM now has fewer questions than JMU and UD.
North

1) UNH
2) UMass
3) Hofstra
4) Maine
5) URI
6) NU

I have UNH as a pretty heavy favorite in the north. Spots 2 through 4 are close. I think Hofstra is up and coming and I think Maine put together a nice season last year, but isn't an exceptionally talented team that takes a step back this season.

jmufan999
June 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM
you're killing me, BDK. and i, too, hope this is sandbagging.

every team has losses every year, just not every team posts negative news in a forum like this. free country, obviously. and i have to disagree that it's a rebuilding year, but to each his own.

there are some great losses, no doubt. but that's what incoming freshmen and (sometimes) transfers do... they fill holes. not every team is going to have 20 of 22 starters returning. there is nothing saying an incoming freshman won't do better than a 3 year starter.... maybe the frosh has more natural gifts, is bigger, faster, whatever. i'm not saying we're going to win it all, but i'm not saying we won't. it's way, way too early to get worried about losing a few players. you guys can freak out if you want, whatever works for you.

WMTribe90
June 4th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Sure, every team has to replace starters and that's not a sign of decline in and of itself. The unexpected losses JMU has sustained in the offseason appear to have really hurt the depth. If you're counting on freshmen to be starters of fill out your two deep, no matter how talented they may be on day one, you at a disadvantage. BDKJMU might be overselling JMU's demise, but you seem to be on the other end ofthe spectrum and ignoring reality.

bluehenbillk
June 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM
CHHOOOO CHHOOOOO, the sound of UD drving right past you, CHHOOOO CHHOOOO!!!xthumbsupx

JMU2004
June 4th, 2009, 02:00 PM
We lost another 2 starters....(though Walker was supposedly being beat by Babington in the Spring)

We'll see how this plays out....People have been predicting the downfall of JMU since 2004...Maybe this is the year they are right. Personally, I was much more worried in 2007 when Rascati moved on.

mcveyrl
June 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Sure, every team has to replace starters and that's a sign of decline in and of itself. The unexpected losses JMU has sustained in the offseason appear tohave really hurt the depth. If you're counting on freshmen to be starters of fill out yor two deep, no matter how talented they may be on day one, you at a disadvantage. BDKJMU might be overselling JMU's demise, but you seem to be onthe other end ofthe spectrum and ignoring reality.

Yea, I'm probably in the middle. The guys lost I was pretty confident would contribute. The new guys I'm unsure about their contribution.

Either way, I'll be at every home game. Too much fun not to go!

Tribe4SF
June 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
We lost another 2 starters....(though Walker was supposedly being beat by Babington in the Spring)

Didn't Babington work at Center during the spring? I understand he'll probably remain there, so I don't see how he was beating Walker.

catatac
June 4th, 2009, 02:38 PM
you're killing me, BDK. and i, too, hope this is sandbagging.

every team has losses every year, just not every team posts negative news in a forum like this. free country, obviously. and i have to disagree that it's a rebuilding year, but to each his own.

there are some great losses, no doubt. but that's what incoming freshmen and (sometimes) transfers do... they fill holes. not every team is going to have 20 of 22 starters returning. there is nothing saying an incoming freshman won't do better than a 3 year starter.... maybe the frosh has more natural gifts, is bigger, faster, whatever. i'm not saying we're going to win it all, but i'm not saying we won't. it's way, way too early to get worried about losing a few players. you guys can freak out if you want, whatever works for you.

the griz lost a boat load of talented seniors after the 07 season... several of which are playing in the NFL... so they were supposed to have a rebuilding year in 08. Look how that worked out for them... xwhistlex

BDKJMU
June 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
The offensive line questions are the biggest - OL's matter a lot on every team, but with the way JMU likes to run its offense, it's even more important to that program. Certainly is the chance that maybe some unkown could step into the void, but the OL has carried JMU when they've been good and I can't see Mickey being able to make drastic changes offensively to get around a suspect line.

Agree about the o-line. Ok, now for the positive.

JMU has 2 talented but inexperienced QBs (well, Dudzick is going to be a RJr, and everyone saw him against Montana, and Justin Thorpe (RFr) is going to be a star before he leaves JMU). Its likely Dudzick will start, but its still up in the air.

JMU is loaded at receiver and tailback.
-Top 4 receivers from 08' (Rockheed McCarter, Kerby Long, Bosco Willians and Marcus Turner) all return.

At tailback lost Holloman, but have returning:
-Griff Yancy, RJr (leading rusher 07', 2nd leading 08') (he was practicing at safety in the Spring as an experiment which went very well).
-Jamal Sullivan, RJr (3rd leading rusher each of the past 2 seasons, infamous fumble @ ASU 07' playoffs)
-Brandon Noble-, RSo: played as a true freshman 07' (controversial fumble call @ UD); redshirted 08'
-Corwin Acker, So, Temple transfer from 08'
-Lee Reynolds, RFr: Has sounded very promising

-At tightend return Mike Caussin, part time 07' starter and full time 08' starter

-At starting fullback/H-back & backup tightend Charlie Newman (Sr) returns.

O-line is the HUGE quesiton mark. Now only 2 starters returning (both will be 3rd yr starters. OG Dorian Brooks was 3rd team All CAA last season. Other is Theo Sherman at LT). 2 other starters, one an 08' transfer from WVU, sound pretty solid from what I've heard in the last 9 months. The big question will be right tackle. With likely Dudzick at QB, the talent at WR & tightend, and the o-line not being as good, I could see JMU passing A LOT more.

JMU and UNH offensively are in a similar boat. A lot of talent at the skill positions with big ? marks on the o-line. UNH lost 4 of 5 o-line starters.

Defensively:

De line JMU should have 2, maybe 3 beasts on the de line in DT Sam Daniels (08' 3rd team All CAA, should be pre season 1st team), DE Arthur Moats, 3rd team All CAA 08', and Middleton, the Cuse DE/DT who was reportedly practicing at DT with Cuse's 1st team during Spring ball. The #3 & #4 DTs from the 08' 2 deep return, but in additon to Middleton there will be 3 new faces in the 2 deep DL.

LBs (only 2 starters) Jamie Veney should have a breakout year after starting as a *true freshman (did have one post grad yr at Fork Union Military) and RFr Chase Williams sounded very promising from Spring reports. CAA Defensive rookie of the year Pat Williams was reportedly going to be moved up from SS to LB, but now I wonder if that will be the case.

The big question is the secondary. At one corner you have Scotty McGee who has started a lot of games the past 2 seasons, with the other starting corner being either Taveion Cuffee, who played last year as a *true freshman (another Fork Union Military post grad product) or Mike Allen, moved over from WR. There's also Jamaris Sanders (RSr), who has started a # of games at both corner and safty the last 2 seasons.

At safety: As far as I can see for the 3 safety spots 2 deep:
-Pat Williams,RSo, CAA defensive rookie of the year at SS if he doesn't move upo to LB would definitely be a starter.
- Vidal Nelson, RSo, who has been moved back to safety. He was moved up from safety and started at LB the 2nd half of last season after DJ Brandon went down to a knee injury.
-Jamaris Sanders, RSr, who has started a # of games at both corner and safty the last 2 seasons
-RSo Jonathon Williams
-RSo Jon Rose, moved up from tailback.
-San Mateo CC tansfer Richard Wilson who has 2 yrs eligibility.

It doesn't help that JMU will be breaking in a new kicker and punter.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 4-5 freshman not redshirt, which would be unusual for JMU the last 6 seasons.

Since winning the 04' NC and the opening of the 10 million Plecker Center in 05' and stadium expansion announced in 08' JMU in the last 5 recruiting classes has hauled in what might be their best 5 recruiting classes ever. The recruiting just seems to get better and better every year. Is still too much talent on this team to have a losing record, but enough youth & inexperience to mean no playoffs. 9-2 would shock me, as would 5-6. I expect it will fall somewhere between 6-5 to 8-3. Course my outlook would improve if Matthews could land 3-4 late I-A or even JUCO transfers to fortify the 2 deep, with a couple good enough to start. The only positions they wouldn't be needed at would be at QB/backs/tightend/receiver. (I hate using the term "skill" positions).

BDKJMU
June 4th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Didn't Babington work at Center during the spring? I understand he'll probably remain there, so I don't see how he was beating Walker.

Yes, RSo Roane Babington will be at center instead of guard, and RSr WVU transfer Donnie Smith will be at guard instead of center. Walker was being moved to RT.

PapaBear
June 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Your biggest challenge at QB isn't replacing Landers' talent. It's replacing the intangibles that made him and JMU a consistent winner during his tenure.

Dudzik did, indeed, fill in very well against Montana. I watched him and was very impressed.

But that, alone, tells me only that he's a talented backup. Can he step in as a team leader and sustain his performance at a high level over an entire season? Will he mesh well with the rest of the team, and with the coaches, to turn the offense into a cohesive unit capable of putting points on the board and responding to the ups and downs of a competitive game and competitive season? How will he react when he knows the season, not just a game, is riding on his shoulders?

I'm not doubting that he can handle all this. And I don't mean to wax overly philosophical.

Just reminding you that, unlike any other position on the field (and even any other position in sports) a QB has to provide much more than just athleticism and passing accuracy to win games. Intangibles like leadership and competitiveness mean just as much (maybe more), and you can't get a true sense of who'll provide those until you see a kid over the course of several games.

See you at Bridgeforth, guys. Can't wait to be subjected to that loony bin you call a "student section."

busybee14
June 4th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Some good news for you. JMU has been recruiting FL hard this offseason and that is a something they have not done much or at all in the past.Very talent rich and speedy area.Should pay off big over the next few years.

JMU2004
June 4th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Donny Smith was supposed to be the center this year....so Babington was to play guard. Of course, that all went out the window when Smith didn't play spring ball. Babington filled in at center so well that he will likely stay there and Smith will move to guard.

However, my orginal comment relates to last Summer when Babington almost beat Walker out at guard and certainly would have pressured him this year had Smith not gone down.

whew...

BDKJMU
June 4th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I had totally forgotten about LB Josh Johnson. He had surgery before last season, so took a redshirt. Mickey said he might have played as a true freshman if it wasn't for that. In April Mickey said in was talking about the LBs missing from Spring preactice who would be back in the fall, and he included Josh. But now he's not on the roster, so I'm not sure what the deal is. So maybe make that 11 likely 2 deep lost in the off season for one reason or another.

JMU Newbill
June 5th, 2009, 06:17 AM
How many years of eligibility does MM have left? Can we suit him up to play (edit) any position at all?

BDKJMU
June 5th, 2009, 07:28 AM
The big question is the secondary. At one corner you have Scotty McGee who has started a lot of games the past 2 seasons, with the other starting corner being either Taveion Cuffee, who played last year as a *true freshman (another Fork Union Military post grad product) or Mike Allen, moved over from WR. There's also Jamaris Sanders (RSr), who has started a # of games at both corner and safty the last 2 seasons.

At safety: As far as I can see for the 3 safety spots 2 deep:
-Pat Williams,RSo, CAA defensive rookie of the year at SS if he doesn't move upo to LB would definitely be a starter.
- Vidal Nelson, RSo, who has been moved back to safety. He was moved up from safety and started at LB the 2nd half of last season after DJ Brandon went down to a knee injury.
-Jamaris Sanders, RSr, who has started a # of games at both corner and safty the last 2 seasons
-RSo Jonathon Williams
-RSo Jon Rose, moved up from tailback.
-San Mateo CC tansfer Richard Wilson who has 2 yrs eligibility.

I had forgotten about Jamaris Sanders, as he has started a # of games at both corner and safty the last couple of seasons, and seen alot of PT at corner, so I added him in.

Also CAA defensive rookie of the year Pat Williams at SS was suppose to be moving up to LB, but now with Griffin not returning at safety and Veney and Chase Williams looking like the starting LBs, I wonder if Pat Williams will be staying at safety afterall.