PDA

View Full Version : JUNE FIRST. Will it happen?

RichH2
May 31st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Will Monday be the usual disappointment with PL transparency?

FU coach notes future schedules include Nova, Conn, Army and Navy. Not bad. FU appears to be moving forward regardless of possible PL action. Do they already know what PL plans? Or is it that they do not care?

If I knew how I would start a poll on whether anything happens at all?

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Has Fordham already signed the contracts with Villanova, UConn, Army and Navy...? When's the first one? That should give us an idea, if the contracts are signed - especially since the buyout for Fordham would stink!

Seawolf97
May 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM
If the contracts are signed I dont think Fordham would want to buy out of them. So it could be scholarships or bust. Of course none of those teams are hurting for opponents or money. Fordhams slot could be filled rather quickly.

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
If the contracts are signed I dont think Fordham would want to buy out of them. So it could be scholarships or bust. Of course none of those teams are hurting for opponents or money. Fordhams slot could be filled rather quickly.

Exactly my point...

Those schools could come up double-winner. They can get the Fordham buyout (if a contract is signed), plus still get just as good a deal, if not better.

Seawolf97
June 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
Nothing from the PL ?

CrusaderBob
June 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Last year the AI changes were approved at the Spring Meeting of the PL Council of Presidents. That news release came out June 13, the day after the PL Scholar athlete of the year was announced.

Based on that timing, I would guess the CoP meeting is next week and therefore, if there is to be any kind of announcement, I would not expect it before late next week

DFW HOYA
June 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Rhetorical question: Fordham gives the PL the Bronx cheer to play their one I-A road game a year (Army, Navy, etc.) Who schedules (or does not schedule) them going forward?

RichH2
June 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
OK, delay my rant to mid June BUT that's it no more extensions will be permitted (lol)

Fordham
June 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
http://www.newthoughtgeneration.com/power-of-positive-thinking.jpg

Positive thinking people. Let's channel those chakras into a positive result here.

RichH2
June 3rd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Fordham ,

Most all of us have lost patience with this Chinese water torture but what little optimism I have left I will toss your way.

ngineer
June 3rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Simple answer to the original question, supra. "No."

Go...gate
June 3rd, 2009, 11:52 PM
So, what next?

Syntax Error
June 4th, 2009, 01:13 AM
the waiting is the hardest part...

CrusaderBob
June 4th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Simple answer to the original question, supra. "No."

Well, here's the first question

Will Monday be the usual disappointment with PL transparency?

So you're saying there will not be disappointed and some form of allowing scholarships will be announced complete with how each school voted and other propositions considered? xeekx

Excellent! xsmiley_wix

Fordham
June 4th, 2009, 07:05 PM
oh yee of little faith!

RichH2
June 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Faith is not the issue. But where to put it now? I have faith that the sun will rise on Saturday, given its track record for doing so. PL track record on forward thinking not quite so bright

Ken_Z
June 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM
summary of my faith:

- i have faith that an announcement of some type will be made in June
- i have faith that it will not be a definitive directional decision
- i have faith it will buy time with Fordham for a couple of years
- i have faith that a majority of Fordham fans will be upset and call for immediate cessation from the League
- i have faith that a majority of PL fans will be unhappy with the announcement

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY,
- i have faith that within two years (perhaps only one year) the League will finally come to resolution on this issue and the answer will keep Fordham on board along with the addition of another league member (or two).

Ken_Z
June 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM
and here we go. parts 1, 2 and 3 of my profession of faith come to pass:

http://www.fordhamsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/060509aab.html

parts 4 and 5 should follow quickly (start posting guys).

part 6? well for those of youwho say waiting is the hardest part, your gonna have to suffer for a while.

DFW HOYA
June 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Outside of the orbit of Center Valley, PA, this makes absolutely no sense.

They're in the league, but the games or stats don't count in the standings. They offer full scholarships, but maintain an AI, so other PL schools' recruiting goes completely out of whack.

Fordham becomes instantly non-competitive with the rest of the league, but that non-competitiveness will be held against them as an at-large bid.

Does anyone else consider this strange?

Fordham
June 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Nice. Sorry to be vague about this fellas but I had a heads up about this scenario a little earlier and was remiss to post direclty until I had it completely confirmed.

Ken is dead on in all that he posted except for the fact that Fordham fans are not going to be screaming for leaving the PL (some will I'm sure but overall most are VERY pleased with this). Staying in the PL with the new AI is mitigated in a huge way by not have ANY scheduling challenges.

Further, the fact that we're not eligible for the league title but still possible as an at-large is really a wash since it's the same scenario/challenge that would be in place if we were to go independent.

Overall, a great day for Fordham fans imo. Not sure how the rest of the PL feels about it but given how most assumed the answer was 'sayonara Fordham' I would think any scenario that moves the group closer to scholarships overall is a good one.

DFW HOYA
June 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I would think any scenario that moves the group closer to scholarships overall is a good one.

How does this move Georgetown or Bucknell even one iota closer towards scholarships?

Ken_Z
June 5th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Ken is dead on in all that he posted except for the fact that Fordham fans are not going to be screaming for leaving the PL (some will I'm sure but overall most are VERY pleased with this). Staying in the PL with the new AI is mitigated in a huge way by not have ANY scheduling challenges.

hope you are right and most Fordham fans are happy.

Overall, a great day for Fordham fans imo. Not sure how the rest of the PL feels about it but given how most assumed the answer was 'sayonara Fordham' I would think any scenario that moves the group closer to scholarships overall is a good one.

this PL fan is delighted. not the idyllic outcome, i.e. league going forward with scholarships, but given the realm of reasonable expectations, i'll take this and keep the faith over the next couple of years.

aceinthehole
June 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
If both sides agree (Fordham/PL) to this agreement, who am I to complain.

However, let call a spade a spade - Fordham will not be a member of the PL after 2009. The arraingment, as described, is a simple scheduling agreement - nothing more.

If Fordham 1) doesn't count in league standing, 2) can't win the AQ, and 3) likely won't be eligible for PL awards, then what "associate membership" do they still maintain?

Again, if all side agree to this SCHEDULING AGREEMENT, then congrats to everyone!

Ken_Z
June 5th, 2009, 10:21 AM
However, let call a spade a spade - Fordham will not be a member of the PL after 2009. The arraingment, as described, is a simple scheduling agreement - nothing more.

disagree. the PL decision will be made by the end of 2010, Fordham will stay at least through that season. in a sense i would agree that this is very much a scheduling agreement, but more importantly it paves a seamless path to Fordhams continued league membership if it goes scholarship. without the agreement all schools would be out negotiating schedules on their own. reincorporating Fordham into the schedule, assuming schollys and Fordham interest in rejoining, could be a mess for a couple of years under that scenario.

aceinthehole
June 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM
disagree. the PL decision will be made by the end of 2010, Fordham will stay at least through that season. in a sense i would agree that this is very much a scheduling agreement, but more importantly it paves a seamless path to Fordhams continued league membership if it goes scholarship. without the agreement all schools would be out negotiating schedules on their own. reincorporating Fordham into the schedule, assuming schollys and Fordham interest in rejoining, could be a mess for a couple of years under that scenario.

I agree! If the PL adopts schollys in the next 3 years this was a brilliant strategy. It keeps Fordham in the PL while the full-members agree to a long-term strategy.

However, in the interm (if the PL maintains the status quo), this is a just a leagewide, 3-year scheduling deal between Fordham and the PL (2010-12). Of course this arringment can also be renewed, if both side like the arraingment.

UAalum72
June 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM
The next-to-last question in the article seems to answer one of the issues usually brought up in the discussion about adding scholarships:

Will these scholarships affect Fordham's Title IX status?

No. Since existing funds that are already included in Fordham's reporting are being reallocated and no new funds are being designated for football scholarships, the scholarships will not impact Fordham's Title IX status.

danefan
June 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM
So as of right now Fordham is going Indy for the 2010 season and has developed a scheduling agreement with all PL schools to continue playing them.

Syntax Error
June 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM
and here we go. parts 1, 2 and 3 of my profession of faith come to passposted: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60167

4th and What?
June 5th, 2009, 08:20 PM
So a lot of the PL's future is in Fordham's hands now. The best argument for the PL to adopt scholarships is for Fordham to significantly improve their football team in 3 years (how feasible is that though?) while not letting academics slip in any way.

Best of luck!