PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown 2009 Signees

DFW HOYA
May 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Here is the Hoyas' 2009 list--it appears the list had three decommits since the announcements made around signing day. Carney can give it a closer look.

http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052709aab.html

89Hen
May 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM
No big nasties for O-line. :(

colorless raider
May 28th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Here is the Hoyas' 2009 list--it appears the list had three decommits since the announcements made around signing day. Carney can give it a closer look.

http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052709aab.html

Who were the three de-commits?

DFW HOYA
May 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Decommit may not be the right word, but there were three which announced Georgetown in February through their local papers that aren't on the current list: a lineman, a linebacker, and a tight end.

colorless raider
May 28th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Decommit may not be the right word, but there were three which announced Georgetown in February through their local papers that aren't on the current list: a lineman, a linebacker, and a tight end.

any names? Do we know where they went?

carney2
May 28th, 2009, 09:48 AM
No big nasties for O-line. :(

Actually, not so. Time will tell if they are nasty, but the 5 OL recruits average 275, which is a huge (no pun intended) step in the right direction for the Hoyas who have been undersized in the trenches ever since joining the Patriot League.

LBPop
May 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Actually, not so. Time will tell if they are nasty, but the 5 OL recruits average 275, which is a huge (no pun intended) step in the right direction for the Hoyas who have been undersized in the trenches ever since joining the Patriot League.

As we all know, those size numbers can be distorted (distorted is spelled B-S). LBKid grew more than an inch and added about 10 to 12 lbs. the day his signing was announced. I will wait to apply the "eye test" to these "behemoths" when summer practice begins. xrolleyesx

89Hen
May 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM
the 5 OL recruits average 275, which is a huge (no pun intended) step in the right direction for the Hoyas who have been undersized in the trenches ever since joining the Patriot League.
Anthony Caligure OL 6-3 280
Jonathan Koslop OL/DL 6-2 275
Danny Murphy OL/DL 6-4 235
Kevin Sullivan OL/DL 6-4 275
Trip Watson OL 6-4 260

Three are 275. For comparison UD signed four lineman with only one under 300 (at 275).

carney2
May 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Trip Watson OL 6-4 260

Three are 275. For comparison UD signed four lineman with only one under 300 (at 275).

Delaware and Georgetown - or, for that matter, Delaware and anyone in the Patriot League - are not playing the same game.

Also, and of note, I categorized Murphy as a DL because no one is playing in the OL - not even in a PL OL - at 235. I did however, categorize Koslop and Sullivan as OL because of their size.

You missed

Donald Rhodes OL 6-3, 285

WMTribe90
May 28th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I found the best OL recruits at our level are the ones that come in their freshman year weighing in the 260 to 280 range. These kids may have been better on the DL in HS. In college they take their agility and foot work and add 20 to 30 pounds to become very good offensive lineman. Generally, I question OL that come in 290 or heavier. Its hard for a HS kid to add that much quality weight by their 18th birthday and the freaks of nature that are an athletic 290+ in HS are likely getting snatched up by a IA school. There are exceptions of course, but this seems to be the case more times than not.

DetroitFlyer
May 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I found the best OL recruits at our level are the ones that come in their freshman year weighing in the 260 to 280 range. These kids may have been better on the DL in HS. In college they take their agility and foot work and add 20 to 30 pounds to become very good offensive lineman. Generally, I question OL that come in 290 or heavier. Its hard for a HS kid to add that much quality weight by their 18th birthday and the freaks of nature that are an athletic 290+ in HS are likely getting snatched up by a IA school. There are exceptions of course, but this seems to be the case more times than not.

I could not agree more! You described Dayton's OL perfectly here.... Typically, these kids redshirt as freshman, put on that quality weight you mentioned, learn the system and then get a chance to play. We do very well with most of our lineman in the 260 to 290 range! Once in a while one of our kids will push the 300 lb mark, but not often.

Of course we run the spread offense, so the offensive line better be quick, athletic, and have great technique and footwork. Granted, our lineman are not going to earn a living in the NFL as offensive lineman, but they do very nicely in the world of FCS.

A couple of years ago, we had a center play at 240 lbs. He was PERFECT in shotgun snaps to Kevin Hoyng. Now, we hve several centers playing at a more traditional 270 lbs. plus, and we cannot snap the ball to save our lives on a regular basis.... In FCS, you simply do not have to be 350 lbs. to be an outstanding offensive lineman.

http://www.daytonflyers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bikowski_blake00.html

Hoyadestroya85
May 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Ben Ijalana, Villanova's starting Left Tackle is arguably the best lineman in the CAA and he came in absolutely huge. I think it depends on the person and the scheme.

phillyAPP
May 28th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Trip Watson OL 6-4 260

APP has non OVER 300lbs for another comparison.

If he isn't big he better be fast and nasty.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 28th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I understand why "jumbo points" are necessary, but I do agree that you don't need to be 300 lbs+ to be a great linemen. Princeton a few years ago didn't have a "O" lineman over 300 lbs (they, I think, had a tackle who couldn't have been more than 245), but their "O" line was one of the better ones I've seen.

Like anything, "O" lines are a mix of talent - size, speed, hands, feet, run blocking ability, pass blocking ability, plus they have to work together well as a unit. Size is only one part of the overall picture. Time will tell if they'll help build up the Hoyas.

chicagosports98
May 31st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Olineman do not have to big to play in the fcs as long as they can use correct technique and leverage to go along with explosiveness and strength.