PDA

View Full Version : Why Richmond is hosting...

thirdgendin
December 2nd, 2005, 10:49 AM
This was posted on TheUFFP (http://www.theuffp.com) by FUSID. I hope this answers some questions. I can't wait until Saturday so we can actually have some action happen ON the field!

"Everybody, I've been asked by university officials to clarify circumstances surrounding Richmond hosting the second round game.

When it was announced that Richmond was hosting, we were surprised as anyone. Although the committee can't respond offficially, indications from them were that they saw Richmond and Furman as being very equal in on-the-field performance. Subsequently, with Richmond traveling to a seeded team in the first round, their position was that it was only fair for them to host in the second round. As for the bids, they were very similar (ours may have been slightly higher), and it would have taken a substantial difference to change the host site. The bid process is financially risky. We barely covered our first round bid. The second round minimum bid increases dramatically, as does the financial risk. If it does rain tomorrow night, it will make it very difficult for Richmond to meet their financial commitment (i.e. bid). We hope this helps clarify some of the questions that have arisen."

henfan
December 2nd, 2005, 11:06 AM
Not that it matters one fig but that comment from Furman directly contradicts a report in the Richmond Times that UR's bid was several thousand dollars higher than FU's.

Richmond's guarantee to the NCAA was several thousand dollars more than Furman's, strengthening the perception that I-AA home playoff games are for sale.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128768477663&path=%21sports%21colleges&s=1045855934926

DTSpider
December 2nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
And we all know that the RTD is the mecca of news information :rolleyes:

Tribe4SF
December 2nd, 2005, 12:41 PM
And we all know that the RTD is the mecca of news information :rolleyes:

Yeah, wasn't O'Connor the guy who rated Lasalle in the preseason top 25 for Street&Smith's? xlolx

ButlerGSU
December 2nd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Maybe they like odd stadiums and Richmond has an odd stadium. I've never been there but the half bowl looks cool.

Tribe4SF
December 2nd, 2005, 12:55 PM
This was posted on TheUFFP (http://www.theuffp.com) by FUSID. I hope this answers some questions. I can't wait until Saturday so we can actually have some action happen ON the field!

"Everybody, I've been asked by university officials to clarify circumstances surrounding Richmond hosting the second round game.

When it was announced that Richmond was hosting, we were surprised as anyone. Although the committee can't respond offficially, indications from them were that they saw Richmond and Furman as being very equal in on-the-field performance. Subsequently, with Richmond traveling to a seeded team in the first round, their position was that it was only fair for them to host in the second round. As for the bids, they were very similar (ours may have been slightly higher), and it would have taken a substantial difference to change the host site. The bid process is financially risky. We barely covered our first round bid. The second round minimum bid increases dramatically, as does the financial risk. If it does rain tomorrow night, it will make it very difficult for Richmond to meet their financial commitment (i.e. bid). We hope this helps clarify some of the questions that have arisen."

There's an odd arrogance to this statement. As to Richmond having trouble covering their bid, if it's "slightly higher" than the minimum, they only need to sell about 4,000 tickets at $15. My guess is that's already been achieved.

blur2005
December 2nd, 2005, 01:01 PM
Maybe they like odd stadiums and Richmond has an odd stadium. I've never been there but the half bowl looks cool.
The half-bowl is cool, but the other side is just a big piece of metal that looks like it was built pretty cheaply.

OL FU
December 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
There's an odd arrogance to this statement. As to Richmond having trouble covering their bid, if it's "slightly higher" than the minimum, they only need to sell about 4,000 tickets at $15. My guess is that's already been achieved.

Yes that was rather strange. I would think the same (Bad weather) might apply to Furman as well :confused:

On the other hand, it was not an official press release.

Tom W
December 2nd, 2005, 02:11 PM
Its all about the Bid! Last year in the second round Eastern washington hosted the second round game against Sam Houston State! It was my understanding that SHS did not even make a second round bid assuming that the 16 seed would not beat the #1. The top four seeds automatically host the first two rounds as long as they win in round one.

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 02:29 PM
Its all about the Bid! Last year in the second round Eastern washington hosted the second round game against Sam Houston State! It was my understanding that SHS did not even make a second round bid assuming that the 16 seed would not beat the #1. The top four seeds automatically host the first two rounds as long as they win in round one.

follow please

the bids were similar and neither is a seed

FU97
December 2nd, 2005, 02:51 PM

I'm pretty sure the bid is money cleared after stadium expenses, not just revenue from the gate.

Tribe4SF
December 2nd, 2005, 03:18 PM
The NCAA gets 75% of the revenue, including parking. If the bid was $45,000 dollars, you'd need about $60,000 in ticket sales to cover the bid and expenses. That's not alot.

What seemed odd to me was the statement about Richmond having trouble covering their bid. A little out of line for an SID (if that's who made the post) to comment like that.

DTSpider
December 2nd, 2005, 04:04 PM
I believe it was Furman who said trouble about covering.

Richmond is too proud (i.e. arrogant) to ever mention such things. Besides, hosting is more than just money. A home playoff game should help raise a lot of money from donors.

Tod
December 3rd, 2005, 02:10 AM

Good point, but I must point out that there is no 16 seed. Don't assume that because a team has the #1 seed they're playing the 16 seed (or the 16th best team). It's regional.

December 3rd, 2005, 02:20 AM
This question was already covered on another thread here. It had to do with student welfare as was explained by the committee chair on Tuesday's I-AA WAVES show.

http://iaawaves.libsyn.com/media/iaawaves/20051129show.wma