PDA

View Full Version : MEAC reps to make official site visit at SSU

ButlerGSU
May 26th, 2009, 10:37 PM
The process for Savannah State University to be admitted to the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference is moving forward following a three-year delay.

I spoke with MEAC Commissioner Dennis Thomas today and he confirmed that he and other MEAC representatives will be at SSU on June 29-30 for an official site visit -- one of the final steps before joining a conference.

http://savannahnow.com/node/728656

Big Dawg
May 27th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Just let SSU and NCCU into the conference already.

Syntax Error
May 27th, 2009, 02:52 AM

xoutofrepx

kirkblitz
May 27th, 2009, 03:34 AM
please take SSU so our dumb commish doesnt try to xcoffeex

89Hen
May 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
No kidding. I've never seen such a drawn out process. xnonono2x

Pitbull
May 27th, 2009, 10:38 AM
We have the dumbest commish in the history of the world.....I hope he quits/retires/ or whatever and goes back to the SWAC....

3rd Coast Tiger
May 27th, 2009, 10:41 AM
We have the dumbest commish in the history of the world.....I hope he quits/retires/ or whatever and goes back to the SWAC....

Don't you mean Hampton? xrolleyesx

Go...gate
May 27th, 2009, 12:29 PM
No kidding. I've never seen such a drawn out process. xnonono2x

Except perhaps for that of the Patriot League.

Pitbull
May 27th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Don't you mean Hampton? xrolleyesx

No..I mean the SWAC...That's where he is from...Alcorn State..... xmadx

catdaddy2402
May 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I simply do not see what SSU would add to the MEAC.

Pitbull
May 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM

I guess the powers that be want a MEAC presence in Ga....This will also allow us to go to divisional play ( hopefully- if WSSU stays in)...we could then start paying a better OOC schedule.....I personally would like to see us play Coastal, Wofford, Furman and Ga Southern on a yearly bases....xthumbsupx Mayb mix in a trip to Boone every other year....;)

3rd Coast Tiger
May 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM
No..I mean the SWAC...That's where he is from...Alcorn State..... xmadx

I know he's from Alcorn but where did he get his Masters and PhD.?

I know you're trying to throw him off on the SWAC just because he graduated from a conference instituion but if it wasn't for Harvey giving him the opportunity to be Athletic Director AND gave him the Commissioner position; Hampton now needs to let him redeem himself and bring him back to where he is loved. xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Their baseball team is better than Coppin State's, and while they still have a ways to go in football to become a MEAC power in football they have gotten better. They beat Winston-Salem this past year. They'll get better as playing in a conference will help with recruiting, too.

blukeys
May 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM

A sure win for all of their football teams!!!!!!xlolxxlolxxlolx

catdaddy2402
May 27th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I guess the powers that be want a MEAC presence in Ga....This will also allow us to go to divisional play ( hopefully- if WSSU stays in)...we could then start paying a better OOC schedule.....I personally would like to see us play Coastal, Wofford, Furman and Ga Southern on a yearly bases.... Mayb mix in a trip to Boone every other year....
I can see where the divisional play thing would be a help for the teams that want to ramp up the OOC.

Their baseball team is better than Coppin State's

So by adding SSU they'll have the #302 and the #297 teams in the RPI.
That's certainly going to help the MEAC get a second NCAA baseball bid.xrolleyesx

and while they still have a ways to go in football to become a MEAC power in football they have gotten better. They beat Winston-Salem this past year. They'll get better as playing in a conference will help with recruiting, too.
So what kind of time frame are we looking at before they actually contribute something of substance to the MEAC? 3-5 years? Longer? Ever?

kirkblitz
May 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM
they are a hbcu so they want them no matter how **** their teams are

3rd Coast Tiger
May 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Now there's the kirkblitz I know! xthumbsupx

kirkblitz
May 27th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Now there's the kirkblitz I know! xthumbsupx

just playing my role ;)

Big Dawg
May 28th, 2009, 01:51 AM

Well are there any PWC's knocking on the MEAC's door???xcoolx

Big Dawg
May 28th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Adding SSU would definitely help us as far as travel goes.

Big Dawg
May 28th, 2009, 01:54 AM
So by adding SSU they'll have the #302 and the #297 teams in the RPI.
That's certainly going to help the MEAC get a second NCAA baseball bid.xrolleyesx

SSU was actually a decent baseball team a year or 2 ago. They actually came down and beat a strong Florida State baseball team not too long ago I believe.

bosshogg
May 28th, 2009, 08:20 AM

should there be? the meac has no leadership....which is why I wish we would leave.....

Eaglesrus
May 28th, 2009, 08:47 AM
All of the big three sports at SSU showed signs of turning things around this year, but they have a tremendously long way to go. I would think conference affiliation would be a great help for them, but for at least the first few years they wouldn't help the conference's standings at all, and there's certainly no guarantee that they ever would. Good for the MEAC if they extend that helping hand, but I gotta say that I would be glad it was them and not us.

Chad4Life
May 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Question on the basketball side for SSU--does it appear that Coach Broadnax is making a long-term commitment to remain there, or have there been rumblings that he would be interested at another job somewhere else? I realize some of his wins at SSU have been against non-DI schools, but I'm really impressed with the work that he's done at SSU. I do wonder, though, if he left, would SSU be able to build on what he's done, or would they fall back to previous levels.

Bulldog87
May 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Pitbull,I agree with your schedule wishes but "id want a home and home with all of the teams you mentioned including APP State. We have to get out of this always ending up the road team when we play OOC. Wofford,Furman and CCU have all benn hame and home series. I'd love to add APP,I just don't want to get in the same deal we had with The Citadel and play them 6 times at their place with no return visit. Our stadium is large enough,nice enough and our fans are very accomidating to visitors that like to Tailgate and enjoy a good ballgame.

Libertine
May 28th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Five years ago, I would have been thrilled for us to join the MEAC. In retrospect, I'm glad we didn't.

Eaglesrus
May 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Question on the basketball side for SSU--does it appear that Coach Broadnax is making a long-term commitment to remain there, or have there been rumblings that he would be interested at another job somewhere else? I realize some of his wins at SSU have been against non-DI schools, but I'm really impressed with the work that he's done at SSU. I do wonder, though, if he left, would SSU be able to build on what he's done, or would they fall back to previous levels.

I'm in Savannah, but being a GSU supporter I have no real insight related to your question. All I can say is that I've not heard anything one way or the other as to Coach Broadnax's level of commitment. I'm not even sure what path brought him to SSU, but I am also impressed with what he's done there. If he were to leave I would be very surprised if they could continue to improve at the pace he has set. He has apparently done it with very little resources to draw on, but they also have a new AD who seems to be pretty sharp, so who knows?

Big Dawg
May 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM
should there be? the meac has no leadership....which is why I wish we would leave.....

Exactly...but ask yourself, who else is gonna let SSU in? I think SSU having ANY kind conference affiliation would help them out in the long run.

kirkblitz
May 28th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Pitbull,I agree with your schedule wishes but "id want a home and home with all of the teams you mentioned including APP State. We have to get out of this always ending up the road team when we play OOC. Wofford,Furman and CCU have all benn hame and home series. I'd love to add APP,I just don't want to get in the same deal we had with The Citadel and play them 6 times at their place with no return visit. Our stadium is large enough,nice enough and our fans are very accomidating to visitors that like to Tailgate and enjoy a good ballgame.

i think sc state was probably one of my favorite home games ever, i will marry that band xrotatehxxrotatehx

Punchykky
May 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM
SSU will help with travel for the southern teams-SCSU, FAMU and BCU. That's probably the only reason they would be admitted into the MEAC.

catdaddy2402
May 29th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Our stadium is large enough,nice enough and our fans are very accomidating to visitors that like to Tailgate and enjoy a good ballgame.
Anybody who disputes that has never been to O'burg.

BearsCountry
May 29th, 2009, 12:24 PM
SSU will help with travel for the southern teams-SCSU, FAMU and BCU. That's probably the only reason they would be admitted into the MEAC.

It will help you northern guys out as well on travel especially in the Olympic sports.

Punchykky
May 29th, 2009, 03:15 PM
It will help you northern guys out as well on travel especially in the Olympic sports.

xthumbsupx