PDA

View Full Version : 2009 AGS Preseason Poll

AGSPoll
May 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 26, 2009

2009 FCS Preseason AGS Poll Announced

Reigning National Champion Richmond landed the top spot garnering 59 first place votes in the sixth annual preseason AnyGivenSaturday.com (AGS) Poll of the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) released today. The AGS Poll has been the first released national poll each year since it's inception in 2004.

Following the Spiders in the top ten were (in order): Appalachian State, Montana, Villanova, Northern Iowa, James Madison, Southern Illinois, New Hampshire, Weber State, and Elon. The full results are listed below.

Five other teams received first place votes including Appalachian State (20), Villanova (11), Montana (5), Northern Iowa (2), and James Madison (1).

A total of 18 squads received more than the five votes required to receive mention outside of the top 25.

The Colonial Athletic Association, FCS's largest league lead the way with eight teams in the Top 25; the Southern Conference had five, the Big Sky Conference had four, the Missouri Valley Football and Southland Conferences had three each, and the Great West Football and Mid-Eastern Athletic Conferences were each represented with one squad.

The pollsters also named Delaware as the biggest rising team from 2008 and Cal Poly as the biggest falling team.

In comparison to other polls, the AGS Poll had as many or more of it's preseason top 25 on it's final regular season poll than either of the other two polls (coaches and media) had on their's since their inception five years ago. The AGS Poll also had as many or more of it's preseason top 25 on it's final regular season poll make the playoffs than either of the other two polls the past five years.

AGS is the world's largest online community devoted to all of the FCS. The AGS Poll was created in 2004 to give distinguished members of the AGS community a place to voice their opinion, vote for the top 25 FCS programs in the nation, and provide the media and coaches of FCS a valuable resource to gauge general sentiment. In order to ensure that the poll is accurate and fair, a committee of AGS veteran members has established guidelines for voter eligibility and accountability.

The AGS Poll will be announced weekly throughout the season on Mondays and a final poll will be announced shortly after the National Championship game.

2009 Any Given Saturday Poll Preseason Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points

1. Richmond (59), 2338
2. Appalachian State (20), 2292
3. Montana (5), 2154
4. Villanova (11), 2152
5. Northern Iowa (2), 2011
6. James Madison (1), 1746
7. Southern Illinois, 1703
8. New Hampshire, 1695
9. Weber State, 1692
10. Elon, 1398
11. Wofford, 1326
12. Cal Poly, 1159
13. William & Mary, 1105
14. Central Arkansas, 1034
15. Maine, 841
16. McNeese State, 687
17. South Carolina State, 617
18. Massachusetts, 602
19. Eastern Washington, 538
20. Delaware, 409
21. South Dakota State, 397
22. Furman, 386
23. Texas State, 323
24. Georgia Southern, 311
25. Montana State, 306

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Jacksonville State (54), Liberty (48), Colgate (46), Harvard (43), Albany (36), Eastern Kentucky (36), Holy Cross (30), Samford (26), North Dakota State (24), Northern Arizona (24), Grambling State (14), Youngstown State (11), Florida A&M (10), Tennessee-Martin (8), Prairie View A&M (7), Western Illinois (7), Pennsylvania (5), UC Davis (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT RISE IN 2009: Delaware
MOST SIGNIFICANT FALL IN 2009: Cal Poly

# # #

Hoyadestroya85
May 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Not terrible.. if only i had given my real opinion and voted Villanova #1

crusader11
May 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Looks pretty good. Surprised that no Patriot League, Ivy League, or Albany cracked the 25.

AGSPoll
May 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM
CAA: 8
SoCon: 5
Big Sky: 4
MVC: 3
Southland: 3
MEAC: 1
Great West: 1

GOKATS
May 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Not a bad turn out for a holiday weekend- close to 100 voters.

Panther88
May 25th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Nice poll.

AGSPoll
May 25th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I did this next part on my own because it has been requested many times in the past. These numbers were NOT calculated by the voting software and minor errors are possible. Please only use this as a general idea of where teams receiving other votes are.

(Votes in parenthesis), Points
Harvard (43), 282
Liberty (48), 280
Jacksonville State (54), 280
Eastern Kentucky (36), 252
Colgate (46), 211
North Dakota State (24), 177
Holy Cross (30), 167
Northern Arizona (24), 123
Samford (26), 106
Albany (36), 97
Youngstown State (11), 66
Florida A&M (10), 59
Grambling State (14), 56
Western Illinois (7), 49
Tennessee-Martin (8), 29
Prairie View A&M (7), 26
UC Davis (5), 24
Pennsylvania (5), 17

danefan
May 25th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Looks pretty good. Surprised that no Patriot League, Ivy League, or Albany cracked the 25.

All in all though its a good poll. People are at least consistent.

xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 25th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Not terrible.. if only i had given my real opinion and voted Villanova #1

We cancelled each other out. I used the same strategy. I had the Cats #1. xbowx

Tribe4SF
May 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I did this next part on my own because it has been requested many times in the past. These numbers were NOT calculated by the voting software and minor errors are possible. Please only use this as a general idea of where teams receiving other votes are.

(Votes in parenthesis), Points
Harvard (43), 282
Liberty (48), 280
Jacksonville State (54), 280
Eastern Kentucky (36), 252
Colgate (46), 211
North Dakota State (24), 177
Holy Cross (30), 167
Northern Arizona (24), 123
Samford (26), 106
Albany (36), 97
Youngstown State (11), 66
Florida A&M (10), 59
Grambling State (14), 56
Western Illinois (7), 49
Tennessee-Martin (8), 29
Prairie View A&M (7), 26
UC Davis (5), 24
Pennsylvania (5), 17

Thanks for doing that. I've always thought we should list the others by points, rather than # of votes.

WMTribe90
May 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Good poll, I had Albany, Holy Cross, Liberty, JSU and EKU ranked. No real head scratchers though.

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Not bad. I would have put Richmond lower, Weber State higher, SC State higher, Texas State higher, Grambling State in the top 25, with UCA and Maine a good bit lower but not that bad for an early poll. It is very easy to nitpick the first one out. Overall a solid job by AGS. :)

GeauxLions94
May 25th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Not bad. I would have put Richmond lower (CHECK), Weber State higher (ONLY TEAM I HAD IN RIGHT SPOT), SC State higher (CHECK), Texas State higher (CHECK), Grambling State in the top 25 (CHECK), with UCA (CHECK) and Maine (CHECK) a good bit lower but not that bad for an early poll. It is very easy to nitpick the first one out. Overall a solid job by AGS. :)

Looks like we agree. From a Southland standpoint, definitely think that Texas State (w/ Bradley George and Karrington Bush) should have been higher and Central Arkansas should be ranked lower (I put them in at 18).

Tribe4SF
May 25th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I had FAMU, Holy Cross, Samford and Jax St. in mine. Did not have Cal Poly, Tex. St., Georgia Southern or Furman.

danefan
May 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for doing that. I've always thought we should list the others by points, rather than # of votes.

I can see that, but the only thing is then a few people that vote their team way high could "overpower" a lot of objective voters voting a different team in the bottom of the poll. Know what I mean?

MaroonDoom
May 25th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Hopefully EKU will be like Mine the Bird.

slycat
May 25th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I'm sorry but how can Cal Poly be the biggest faller and still be ranked 12??????

UCA will be lucky to finish 3rd in the Souhland this year.

slycat
May 25th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Good poll, I had Albany, Holy Cross, Liberty, JSU and EKU ranked. No real head scratchers though.

So did I, except for EKU. I threw in Samford as my fun pick.

Reign of Terrier
May 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
3. Montana--see below
4. Villanova--should be number 3, nothing against Montana (they will do well in conference) but I think Nova is better in terms of experience and returning talent
6. James Madison--a smidge to high
10. Elon--SHOULD NOT be higher than Wofford, we deserve the benefit of the doubt, we beat Elon pretty bad last year. Just swap w/Wofford
11. Wofford--see above
[B]12. Cal Poly--maybe a little high
20. Delaware--a little too early too rank them IMO
22. Furman--shouldn't be ranked IMO
24. Georgia Southern--should be ranked a little higher IMO but I can't complain

Native
May 25th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Good job AGS! I like to see the interest in teams down the ballot. It will be interesting to see which ones rise up.

It's a crap shoot at this stage, anyway.

Hoyadestroya85
May 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM
preseason polls are mostly useless.. i think polls should be released after about week 3

slycat
May 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
preseason polls are mostly useless.. i think polls should be released after about week 3

I completely agree

BarefootApp
May 25th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Me too. But what the hell.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM

I also agree completely.......only voted in this one to avoid a strike. My travel during the season often puts me at risk of missing a voting window. Didn't vote pre-season last year then got myself boxed into a corner with the registration process near the beginning of the season. Missed two before the real voting even got started. xoopsx :o xmadx

Gil Dobie
May 25th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Pre-season polls have some entertainment value for those that are easily amused, like me. :D

slycat
May 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Pre-season polls have some entertainment value for those that are easily amused, like me. :D

But it has merit on the regular season poll. Now teams will be ranked higher or lower automatically before any real games begin. It makes the poll less accurate.

Yeah its fun but not accurate.

UNHWildCats
May 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I also agree completely.......only voted in this one to avoid a strike. My travel during the season often puts me at risk of missing a voting window. Didn't vote pre-season last year then got myself boxed into a corner with the registration process near the beginning of the season. Missed two before the real voting even got started. xoopsx :o xmadx
As long as you logged in to register you woulda been all set. As far as I know preseason doesnt count as a strike.

Syntax Error
May 25th, 2009, 03:16 PM
But it has merit on the regular season poll. Now teams will be ranked higher or lower automatically before any real games begin. It makes the poll less accurate.Depends on the voter. Not everyone plays a shell game. Some start with a clean slate every week.
Yeah its fun but not accurate.It is the most accurate poll, sorry.

Hoyadestroya85
May 25th, 2009, 03:22 PM
But it has merit on the regular season poll. Now teams will be ranked higher or lower automatically before any real games begin. It makes the poll less accurate.

Yeah its fun but not accurate.

Example, had Villanova not been shafted early on in last years polling, they probably would have been seeded.

Hoyadestroya85
May 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Depends on the voter. Not everyone plays a shell game. Some start with a clean slate every week.It is the most accurate poll, sorry.

yes, but no preseason poll is accurate and they really stand no point.. look at where Delaware and NDSU were ranked last year.. Look where Villanova was ranked.

slycat
May 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Depends on the voter. Not everyone plays a shell game. Some start with a clean slate every week.It is the most accurate poll, sorry.

Accurate at the end of the year sure. But I seem to remember McNeese being ranked in the preseason top 5 or 10 last year.

I know you won't get everyone right but come on Cal Poly and UCA seem like no brainers.

Syntax Error
May 25th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I said most accurate, not completely accurate. xnodx

slycat
May 25th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Example, had Villanova not been shafted early on in last years polling, they probably would have been seeded.

Great point. People hold on to early ranking and it can screw teams over.

Syntax Error
May 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM
People hold on to early ranking and it can screw teams over.Too general. I don't think there were many teams not named in this poll that should have been. Double-digit rise and falls are not unusual during the season.

93henfan
May 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
The poll looks great with the exception of Delaware being way too low and not enough CAA teams in the top 25. :p

Hoyadestroya85
May 25th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Too general. I don't think there were many teams not named in this poll that should have been. Double-digit rise and falls are not unusual during the season.

which is exactly why polling should start after the beginning of the season

Syntax Error
May 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM
which is exactly why polling should start after the beginning of the seasonYes, fer gawds sakes! Why ask people what they think???? xrolleyesx FCS does not rely on polling for the postseason (NEC excepted but only for this year). So polls are just what the press release says
The AGS Poll was created in 2004 to give distinguished members of the AGS community a place to voice their opinion, vote for the top 25 FCS programs in the nation, and provide the media and coaches of FCS a valuable resource to gauge general sentiment.Sounds like some people are highly disappointed that their team did not fare better. xtwocentsx

slycat
May 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Yes, fer gawds sakes! Why ask people what they think???? xrolleyesx FCS does not rely on polling for the postseason (NEC excepted but only for this year). So polls are just what the press release saysSounds like some people are highly disappointed that their team did not fare better. xtwocentsx

Not really. I'm just happy to see Texas St ranked period.

UNHWildCats
May 25th, 2009, 04:57 PM
The preseason poll can give people an idea of teams to watch. Is it perfect? No. No system is perfect. But maybe I don't know North Dakota State is going to have a down year.... Maybe I don't know Delaware is going to be on the upswing... This preseason poll has those things on my radar now if they weren't already...

WrenFGun
May 25th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Good Poll, IMO.

Very few objections, led by SIU over UNH and Cal Poly at 12.

AppAlum2003
May 25th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hopefully EKU will be like Mine the Bird.

What? Beaten by a girl?

slostang
May 25th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Good Poll, IMO.

Very few objections, led by SIU over UNH and Cal Poly at 12.

I would agree that Cal Poly is a little high, but I think that they have proved over the last five years that they are a top program. They have finished in the top 25 each of the last five years. Here is their record the last six years:

2003: 7-4
2004: 9-2
2005: 9-4
2006: 7-4
2007: 7-4
2008: 8-3

WrenFGun
May 25th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Agreed...but I was fairly certain they lost most of their offense from last season. I ranked JMU lower, too, because they lost a critical player. I like to be conservative with new contributors.

slostang
May 25th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Agreed...but I was fairly certain they lost most of their offense from last season. I ranked JMU lower, too, because they lost a critical player. I like to be conservative with new contributors.

They did, but they return 8 starters on defense and they while they did lose a lot of their offensive stars, they do return some talent on that side of the ball.

They return four starter on the O-line, three backs that have at least 6 starts and a WR that ran 10.5 100 meter in track this season. The backs are FB Jon Hall (will be a four year starter in 2009) who ran for 354 yards on 57 carries (6.2 per carry) and two rushing TDs. He also had 109 yards receiving and another TD. The second back is Jordan Yocum who ran for 353 yards on 44 carries (8.0 per carry) and 3 TDs. The last back is Jono Grayson who ran for 357 yards on 41 carries (8.4 per carry) and 5 rushing TDs. The WR is So Jared Houston. I think that the cupboard is not bare.

Syntax Error
May 25th, 2009, 11:03 PM
CP is in the ranked-but-show-me category. Don't overlook the new coaches either. Something is brewing in San Luis Obispo.

slostang
May 25th, 2009, 11:17 PM
CP is in the ranked-but-show-me category. Don't overlook the new coaches either. Something is brewing in San Luis Obispo.

I agree. I am looking forward to seeing how they do.

uofmman1122
May 26th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I would agree that Cal Poly is a little high, but I think that they have proved over the last five years that they are a top program. They have finished in the top 25 each of the last five years. Here is their record the last six years:

2003: 7-4
2004: 9-2
2005: 9-4
2006: 7-4
2007: 7-4
2008: 8-3I like Cal Poly, but even I had them at 24. Getting a new coach and losing that many important starters on offense is what swayed me.

Even still, you have a pretty intense schedule this year. 2 FBS teams, South Dakota State, Montana, and Weber State!? If the coaching change and loss of players hurts like it seems they could, you might not win any of those games.

However, if Cal Poly makes the playoffs this year, they'll have definitely earned it, and I'll happily eat a lot of crow.

DLS
May 26th, 2009, 07:38 AM

it's a "PRESEASON poll". you want to start a "PRESEASON poll" after the season starts?

WrenFGun
May 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Re: Cal Poly.

My thoughts exactly. They're IN my poll because I believe they have some solid talent and because they have been solid over the last five years, but they are not in my top 20 because of the massive loss of talent and the coaching staff change.

That's not to say that I think the teams I had ahead of them will all finish with a higher record, but I do think that they bring back more to justify the ranking.

GannonFan
May 26th, 2009, 08:58 AM

Yes, fer gawds sakes! Why ask people what they think???? xrolleyesx FCS does not rely on polling for the postseason (NEC excepted but only for this year). So polls are just what the press release saysSounds like some people are highly disappointed that their team did not fare better. xtwocentsx

Gotta agree with S/E (ouch) in this case - preseason polls at this level are completely innocous. With the playoff system, no team is going to be so pigeon-holed from a bad preseason ranking that they won't be able to make the playoffs. Sure preseason polls in the FBS world are a bad thing because they do just that - they make it almost impossible for some teams to have a chance to play for the BCS Title, but that's a flaw in that system. With a 16 team playoff, you could have 16 teams that didn't even make the top 25 poll end up in the playoffs.

So since there's no harm in having a preseason poll, and even though it's apt to be inaccurate, in some cases not by much and in other cases by a large amount, eh, so what? No harm no foul.

appfan2008
May 26th, 2009, 09:01 AM
will be fun to see how this thing shakes out in only a few short months!

Houndawg
May 26th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I like Cal Poly, but even I had them at 24. Getting a new coach and losing that many important starters on offense is what swayed me.

Even still, you have a pretty intense schedule this year. 2 FBS teams, South Dakota State, Montana, and Weber State!? If the coaching change and loss of players hurts like it seems they could, you might not win any of those games.

However, if Cal Poly makes the playoffs this year, they'll have definitely earned it, and I'll happily eat a lot of crow.

That's exactly the situation SIU was in last year and they did pretty well considering. Reports of SLOs demise may be greatly exaggerated.

kirkblitz
May 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM
no respect for the big south. looks like we will have to teach it to yall.

89Hen
May 26th, 2009, 04:33 PM
no respect for the big south. looks like we will have to teach it to yall.
Teach on. Here are your 10 toughest I-AA games. How many of these do you think the Big South wins?...

Charleston Southern at Wofford
James Madison at Liberty
Presbyterian at Furman
Elon at Presbyterian
Presbyterian at The Citadel
Stony Brook at Hofstra
Stony Brook at Colgate
Stony Brook at UMass
VMI at James Madison
VMI at Richmond

danefan
May 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Teach on. Here are your 10 toughest I-AA games. How many of these do you think the Big South wins?...

James Madison at Liberty
Presbyterian at Furman
Elon at Presbyterian
Stony Brook at Hofstra
Stony Brook at Colgate
Stony Brook at UMass
VMI at James Madison
VMI at Richmond

But Hen you voted for Grambling at #21. Is that consistent with not voting anyone from the Big South in? Do you thing Grambling is going to win any of their OOC games? SC State or Oklahoma State? Maybe Northwestern State?

I could see saying no Big South if you didn't put Grambling in the top 25.

89Hen
May 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM
But Hen you voted for Grambling at #21. Is that consistent with not voting anyone from the Big South in? Do you thing Grambling is going to win any of their OOC games? SC State or Oklahoma State? Maybe Northwestern State?

I could see saying no Big South if you didn't put Grambling in the top 25.
I expect them to beat NWSt and maybe SCSU. xpeacex

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM

James Madison at Liberty
Presbyterian at Furman
Elon at Presbyterian
Stony Brook at Hofstra
Stony Brook at Colgate
Stony Brook at UMass
VMI at James Madison
VMI at Richmond

Maybe SB @ Hofstra?

Reign of Terrier
May 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Charleston Southern at Wofford No
James Madison at Liberty No
Presbyterian at Furman No
Elon at Presbyterian No
Presbyterian at The Citadel maybe but no
Stony Brook at Hofstra ???
Stony Brook at Colgate ???
Stony Brook at UMass ???
VMI at James Madison No
VMI at Richmond No

WMTribe90
May 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Best chances:

JMU at Liberty
SBU at Colgate

Hofstra will be improved and is my darkhores in the CAA North.

McNeese75
May 26th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I expect them to beat NWSt and maybe SCSU. xpeacex

xrolleyesx I wouldn't bet the farm on that one Hen.

kirkblitz
May 26th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Charleston Southern at Wofford Woff
James Madison at Liberty Lib
Presbyterian at Furman Presby
Elon at Presbyterian Presby
Presbyterian at The Citadel Cit
Stony Brook at Hofstra SB
Stony Brook at Colgate SB
Stony Brook at UMass SB
VMI at James Madison VMI
VMI at Richmond VMI

8/10

CCU at Kent State CCU

xthumbsupx

BEAR
May 26th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Those Demons have a great defense. Looking past them is a bad bad mistake.

uofmman1122
May 27th, 2009, 01:05 AM
That's exactly the situation SIU was in last year and they did pretty well considering. Reports of SLOs demise may be greatly exaggerated.My only rebuttal to that is look at Eastern Washington last year. And they only lost the head coach, not the entire offense.

Houndawg
May 27th, 2009, 04:50 AM
My only rebuttal to that is look at Eastern Washington last year. And they only lost the head coach, not the entire offense.

Not sayin they won't be down, just sayin that a coaching change doesn't guarantee it.

Redwyn
May 27th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Charleston Southern at Wofford No
James Madison at Liberty No
Presbyterian at Furman No
Elon at Presbyterian No
Presbyterian at The Citadel maybe but no
Stony Brook at Hofstra ???
Stony Brook at Colgate ???
Stony Brook at UMass ???
VMI at James Madison No
VMI at Richmond No

Stony Brook's OOC games will be quite interesting, esp in its first season of full scholarship game. We'll see what happens!

My personal prediction - SBU will take down Colgate and U Mass. Hofstra is a toss up. SBU has the potential to win, but we're afraid of Hofstra, so they usually win in most sports. Guess we'll see.

WrenFGun
May 27th, 2009, 08:25 AM
It's hard to win in UMass.

I'm looking forward to going down there and getting in arguments with UMass fans for three hours next year. Damn place is a house of horrors for me, though. I've been three times, and I've seen three losses, one in gut-wrenching fashion (24-21 loss in the playoffs on the goaline).

89Hen
May 27th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Maybe SB @ Hofstra?
FWIW, last year a 4-8 Hofstra beat SB 43-3.

89Hen
May 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't wager on SWAC/Southland anyway. :) But new coach, early in the season, @ Grambling... I stand by my prediction. Plus, I'm not a fan of a coach that says things like...

“Right now, I am not talking about winning championships,” Peveto said. “I am a firm believer that if we take care of all the little things then the big things will take care of themselves.

“I don’t know how successful we’re going to be this year, but I can promise you that we’re going to do it the right way.”

89Hen
May 27th, 2009, 08:43 AM
My personal prediction - SBU will take down Colgate and U Mass. Hofstra is a toss up. SBU has the potential to win, but we're afraid of Hofstra, so they usually win in most sports. Guess we'll see.
SB beat Colgate last year, so no reason they can't do that again, but I don't think they beat UMass or Hofstra. xpeacex

89Hen
May 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM

I'm looking forward to going down there and getting in arguments with UMass fans for three hours next year. Damn place is a house of horrors for me, though. I've been three times, and I've seen three losses, one in gut-wrenching fashion (24-21 loss in the playoffs on the goaline).
Can't win at UMass and can't lose in Newark. Go figure. xoopsx

McNeese75
May 27th, 2009, 09:47 AM
My only rebuttal to that is look at Eastern Washington last year. And they only lost the head coach, not the entire offense.

I believe they lost most of a very experienced offensive line from 2007 as well which was probably the biggest factor in their spriral last year.

McNeese75
May 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't wager on SWAC/Southland anyway. :) But new coach, early in the season, @ Grambling... I stand by my prediction. Plus, I'm not a fan of a coach that says things like...

I am not convinced Peveto is a good or great coach based on his LSU showing but if the Demon coaching staff pulls their team into a diciplined and well coached team, I would bet they will beat Grambling.

jmufan999
May 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Liberty's not beating JMU. i don't make many guarantees, but i'll guarantee that one right now. i don't care if it's being played in Lynchburg or on Mars.

by the way, in case anyone would pull this out... i did guarantee a JMU win over Montana BUT i also said "the only way we'll lose is if we're -3 in turnover differential or something" (which we hadn't even come close to up until that point), and we were -4. so that was right.

UNHWildCats
May 27th, 2009, 10:52 AM

well if that track record continues we will have to handcuff you to the goalpost in Durham when UNH travels to UMass xnodxxnodxxnodx

WMTribe90
May 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Liberty's not beating JMU. i don't make many guarantees, but i'll guarantee that one right now. i don't care if it's being played in Lynchburg or on Mars.

by the way, in case anyone would pull this out... i did guarantee a JMU win over Montana BUT i also said "the only way we'll lose is if we're -3 in turnover differential or something" (which we hadn't even come close to up until that point), and we were -4. so that was right.

Funny, I recall many JMU fans saying there was no way they'd lose @ CCU back in the day xsmiley_wix Sure its unlikely, but never say never.

Redwyn
May 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM
FWIW, last year a 4-8 Hofstra beat SB 43-3.

Yeah, my point exactly. IMO even that score is deflated compared to how SBU played. It should have been over 50 for Hofstra. We get very scared of big name schools, esp those that SBU touts as "rivalry games". Never understood why, but I kinda equate it to a 5 year old and the monster in his closet. It could just be dust, but before he knows it the monster scares the bejeezus out of him.

As for U Mass, I am being a bit optimistic. Home field is tough stuff to overcome. However I'm quite high on SBU's running game and new QB (Coulter used to be a 3 star prospect), so hopefully the team can hold it together and at least make it a fun game to watch.

ToTheLeft
May 27th, 2009, 11:33 AM

You've said that before, with no real reason behind it, like you did here.

Not sure why you think it's such a slam dunk, but whatever. I'll be on the 50 making fun of your purple clad classmates all the same.

kirkblitz
May 27th, 2009, 04:55 PM

agreed, i wish i could change my ballot now. I saw some new articles and i think theyll be lucky to get 3rd in the BSC

ccd494
May 31st, 2009, 02:13 PM

I've always wanted to see a 100 yard field goal.

Uncle Buck
May 31st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Yeah, my point exactly. IMO even that score is deflated compared to how SBU played. It should have been over 50 for Hofstra. We get very scared of big name schools, esp those that SBU touts as "rivalry games". Never understood why, but I kinda equate it to a 5 year old and the monster in his closet. It could just be dust, but before he knows it the monster scares the bejeezus out of him.

As for U Mass, I am being a bit optimistic. Home field is tough stuff to overcome. However I'm quite high on SBU's running game and new QB (Coulter used to be a 3 star prospect), so hopefully the team can hold it together and at least make it a fun game to watch.

I feel a lot better about the Dutch this year, last year we were absolutely ravaged with injuries and ended up having to start our 3rd string true freshman QB who actually faired pretty good. This year, i think we return a ton of young talent and IMO, Probst will probably get the nod at QB, he seemed to get better week by week. This Hofstra team may not win a CAA title, but i think they will be good enough to win against good teams. SBU will be pumped and so will i. Looking forward to making it 13 in a row! xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
September 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM
2009 Any Given Saturday Poll Preseason Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points

1. Richmond (59), 2338
2. Appalachian State (20), 2292
3. Montana (5), 2154
4. Villanova (11), 2152
5. Northern Iowa (2), 2011
6. James Madison (1), 1746
7. Southern Illinois, 1703
8. New Hampshire, 1695
9. Weber State, 1692
10. Elon, 1398
11. Wofford, 1326
12. Cal Poly, 1159
13. William & Mary, 1105
14. Central Arkansas, 1034
15. Maine, 841
16. McNeese State, 687
17. South Carolina State, 617
18. Massachusetts, 602
19. Eastern Washington, 538
20. Delaware, 409
21. South Dakota State, 397
22. Furman, 386
23. Texas State, 323
24. Georgia Southern, 311
25. Montana State, 306

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Jacksonville State (54), Liberty (48), Colgate (46), Harvard (43), Albany (36), Eastern Kentucky (36), Holy Cross (30), Samford (26), North Dakota State (24), Northern Arizona (24), Grambling State (14), Youngstown State (11), Florida A&M (10), Tennessee-Martin (8), Prairie View A&M (7), Western Illinois (7), Pennsylvania (5), UC Davis (5).

MOST SIGNIFICANT RISE IN 2009: Delaware
MOST SIGNIFICANT FALL IN 2009: Cal Poly

# # #

Not too much movement yet