PDA

View Full Version : Would I-AA work in Wichita??

W. DeMontague
May 24th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Having read this piece (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59511) in the news feed, I think I-AA football would be supported well in Wichita if they'd agree to it.

Opinions? Yes? No?

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Before the Old Guard jumps on you - it is now known as the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), not I-AA. :)

laxVik
May 24th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Before the Old Guard jumps on you - it is now known as the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), not I-AA. :)
It will always be known as 1-AA. Get used to it.

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
It will always be known as 1-AA. Get used to it.

Not officially.

The name of FCS has these guy's stamp of approval...

http://ncaasportbetting.com/files/2008/05/ncaa.jpg

ValleyChamp
May 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Who cares, everybody in Wichita is a big D-bag.

Syntax Error
May 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM
It will always be known as 1-AA. Get used to it.It has never been 1-AA. Get informed. :p It hasn't been I-AA for years but hey, be sure to watch the Chicago Staleys this year. Aren't they playing the Buffalo All-Americans? xlolx

DFW HOYA
May 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
It has never been 1-AA. Get informed. It hasn't been I-AA for years but hey, be sure to watch the Chicago Staleys this year. Aren't they playing the Buffalo All-Americans?

No, I think the Providence Steamrollers and the Pottsville Maroons are the teams to beat. xlolx

And yes, I-AA is fine. Most fans outside this board wouldn't know FCS from the FCA.

JayJ79
May 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Not officially.

And officially, the BCS has absolutely nothing to do with basketball.
But people still talk about it all the time during the March tournament.

laxVik
May 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
It has never been 1-AA. Get informed. :p It hasn't been I-AA for years but hey, be sure to watch the Chicago Staleys this year. Aren't they playing the Buffalo All-Americans? xlolxI see. So it's division "i" double "a", or division "1"?

appsfan
May 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Could that be a Roman Numeral ?

laxVik
May 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Could that be a Roman Numeral ?Sure could.

appsfan
May 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
So I guess that means it was "Division One Double A or Division One AA", now FCS...

Tim James
May 24th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I think it would work because they have a ready made power conference to go right into.

TCisMYhero
May 25th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Having read this piece (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59511) in the news feed, I think I-AA football would be supported well in Wichita if they'd agree to it.

Opinions? Yes? No?

They look down on our brand of football. Some sort of superiority complex from having one successful year in basketball and a baseball team that 5% of baseball fans in America know exists.

spdram
May 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM
How do you define "work"? I think it can work anywhere, but it will "lose money" in most places. If they define regular winning, making money, filling stands as "working" then it will likely not work. Do bands, theaters, dance recitals, speaking engagements, on campus entertainers, etc always "make mone" for the University? If you define "working" as giving a common ground to the alums, student, staff, community that can "generate" excitement and provide a "unifying bond", then it can work. Some of the points I think people miss when looking at the numbers related to football are: how often does football act as the catalyst to bring people back to campus for long periods, cf football to other offerings. By bringing people back to campus don't you have a greater chance of creating unity and thereby a chance to generate more alum and community support for the institution as a whole? Translate dollars. Often times, athletics, and football in particular because of it's sheer numbers and skill sets required bring to the student body an individual that doesn't fit the "perfect" mold of the "ordinary student" already on campus thus creating a greater diversity within the student body. And isn't diveristy a part of the educational experience? Personally I think the FBS programs have grown so large and isolated they have lost this benefit, but the FCS programs continue to maintain that contact and continue to enhance the diversity of the institusion. The administration and the staff have much to say about how the players are allowed to act. If misbehavior is tolerated it will continue. If community and/or university involvement are demanded they will be obtained.
I know the purpose of the thread is not to discuss the University of Richmond, but I say these things only as proof it can work. Richmond is a small school with less than 3,000 students, it strives to maintain a high academic standing (top 10 APR), ranked highly in many academic rankings, demands good behavior and community and university involvement from our athletes. I could tell you numerous stories about the players on our recent National Championship team (as well as others) that volunteer time with local schools and community organizations. So yes it can WORK anywhere!

Bull Fan
May 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
It would be a shocker...

CollegeSportsInfo
May 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Not officially.

The same group that has given their stamp of approval to the BCS running football at the highest level. Must be a competent organization then xoopsx

Of the 3 basic options the NCAA had: merge I-A and I-AA into one division (whether bowls or playoff), remain at I-A and I-AA, or create a new naming structure of FCS and FBS, only 1 option was garbage: the one they chose.

tw_fatcat
May 25th, 2009, 12:35 PM
They look down on our brand of football. Some sort of superiority complex from having one successful year in basketball and a baseball team that 5% of baseball fans in America know exists.

Wichita State has had many years of success in Basketball. They are almost 30 years removed but they were a very strong basketball team for quite some time. Their baseball is well known across the country. Even though they have failed to make it to Omaha in 13 years they are still known as a powerful baseball program (yes I realize they were not good this year). I will defend their baseball as I have no doubt that they will be back. Having amazing facilities does not hurt.

It seems to me a school with an athletic budget (15 mil) rivaling and beating a majority of those schools already with FCS football is absurd not to field a football team. That school has the money to put together a solid program and in time they would find support to some extent. They average sell outs in basketball (over 10,000 even with a losing record) and well over 5,000 a game in baseball. I would imagine that their very faithful fan base could stir up enough support for a football team.

BearsCountry
May 25th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Shocker fans with a superiority complex never. xlolx Sorry Shockerman keep up the fight for football.

centexguy
May 25th, 2009, 02:17 PM
If Lamar can bring back football then so can Wichita State, but only if the administration is committed to bringing it back. Lamar's president and AD have worked a long time to get football back at the school. Dr. Simmons (LU's current president) was the band director back in the 1970s and witnessed the decline of the school first hand when football was killed.

A few things have worked in Lamar's favor: (1) located in Texas where the economy isn't that bad and football is king, (2) having a local supporter that has given millions to the school, and (3) the state allows student fees to help support the athletic program.

I don't see football coming back to Wichita State unless the school is dedicated to bringing it back. A half-hearted effort will not work, and someone with deep pockets need to help out. Hopefully one day they will get football back. I can imagine a new conference that would be a very strong baseball and basketball conference that could eventually be a force in football too:

Missouri State
Wichita State
Texas State
UTSA
LU
SHSU
Oral Roberts
La Tech
New Mexico State
Central Arkansas

strike00
May 26th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Shocker fans putting down FCS football is nothing but a defensive reaction and an attempt at justifying not having football IMO, I think that if it was brought back it would be supported heavily. I hope they do end up bringing it back.

I don't know if I could stomach many shocker fans on here though, It's painful enough to deal with them during other seasons. (not fans like Shockerman of course)

89Hen
May 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Would love to see MV football expand to Kansas. xthumbsupx

Shockerman
May 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
How did I miss this thread? Football will happen at WSU and sooner than later. However, it will probably require a new President as the current one doesn't seem to be in favor of it. "Supposedly", when he was hired by the board of regents (which at that time was all KU alums) he was told he could have the job as long as he did not oversee the return of football. After that hire, several WSU alums went viral and got the legislature to add a law requiring that the board of regents have equal representation among the states 3 DI schools. The current AD is a propenent of Football and is the son of an All American Football player at WSU. Twice, two donors have offered a total of 10 million to get the program rolling but the President has nixed it.

OSBF
May 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM
If Lamar can bring back football then so can Wichita State, but only if the administration is committed to bringing it back. Lamar's president and AD have worked a long time to get football back at the school. Dr. Simmons (LU's current president) was the band director back in the 1970s and witnessed the decline of the school first hand when football was killed.

A few things have worked in Lamar's favor: (1) located in Texas where the economy isn't that bad and football is king, (2) having a local supporter that has given millions to the school, and (3) the state allows student fees to help support the athletic program.

I don't see football coming back to Wichita State unless the school is dedicated to bringing it back. A half-hearted effort will not work, and someone with deep pockets need to help out. Hopefully one day they will get football back. I can imagine a new conference that would be a very strong baseball and basketball conference that could eventually be a force in football too:

Missouri State
Wichita State
Texas State
UTSA
LU
SHSU
Oral Roberts
La Tech
New Mexico State
Central Arkansas

Why would you need to screw around with any conference re-allingment? The rivalvaries already exist in the MVC, and it is already one of the top 3 to 5 FCS conferences in the land. Why mess with something that's already working?

I'd love to see it happen. I can hear the Creighton and Bradley fans now...........