PDA

View Full Version : preseason AGS poll voting is now open

AGSPoll
May 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
You may now begin voting in the 2009 AGS preseason poll. Voting runs from now until Monday at 12 PM CST.

To access the voting page just click the link in my signature or scroll to the bottom of any page on AGS and log in.

We appreciate your continued participation in the best FCS poll.

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 05:19 PM
My breakdown of the top 25 (by conference)... ;)

CAA 6
SoCon 4
MVFC 3
Big Sky 3
SLC 3
Patriot 2
GWFC 1
OVC 1
Ivy 1
MEAC 1

smallcollegefbfan
May 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
My breakdown:

CAA- 6
Big Sky- 4
SoCon- 3
SLC- 2
MVFC- 2
Patriot League- 2
Great West- 1
MEAC- 1
OVC- 1
SWAC- 1
NEC- 1
Ivy - 1

crusader11
May 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Here's how I went:

Colonial - 8
Southern - 4
Big Sky - 4
Patriot - 2
Missouri Valley - 2
Ivy 1
Great West - 1
Southland - 1
MEAC - 1
Northeast - 1

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Here's how I went:
Colonial - 8
Southern - 4
Big Sky - 4
Patriot - 2
Missouri Valley - 2
Ivy 1
Great West - 1
Southland - 1
MEAC - 1
Northeast - 1

You went heavy with CAA, SoCon and Big Sky! xeekx

Where are your CAA? Hope there are several outside of the top 10, 15.

crusader11
May 24th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I took 4 from both the Big Sky and SoCon. You took 4 from the SoCon and 3 from the Big Sky. I guess you went heavy on that as well.

I have 3 from the CAA at 16, 17, and 25.

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I took 4 from both the Big Sky and SoCon. You took 4 from the SoCon and 3 from the Big Sky. I guess you went heavy on that as well.

I have 3 from the CAA at 16, 17, and 25.

Now that you put it that way.... xoopsx

I just hope that we do not see an overwhelming amount of CAA teams in the top 15 (i.e taking up 7 of top 15 spots). Of course, I am very curious to see what people think of Patriot, Ivy, OVC, SLC, MEAC and SWAC. Are we all going with the same teams in those leagues?

danefan
May 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM

I just hope that we do not see an overwhelming amount of CAA teams in the top 15 (i.e taking up 7 of top 15 spots). Of course, I am very curious to see what people think of Patriot, Ivy, OVC, SLC, MEAC and SWAC. Are we all going with the same teams in those leagues?

I think you seriously need to reconsider your view of the NEC. I just don't get how you can include 2 PL teams and an Ivy and not Albany. Doesn't make sense to me.

crusader11
May 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I think you seriously need to reconsider your view of the NEC. I just don't get how you can include 2 PL teams and an Ivy and not Albany. Doesn't make sense to me.

I am lookin' out for your Great Danes. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Why should I reconsider my view of the NEC?

It is like the SWAC, in my opinion. Your conference has not done anything over the last few years. You may have a good team or two, but the rest of the league is relatively average or below average. The top teams in the league are circled in my book and once they win a noteworthy out of conference game, will receive their proper respect...

Albany was #36 in GPI last year. Top SWAC team was #40. After that, no one until 63 (SWAC), 64 (NEC). Your conference brings you down...

The Patriot League has done something recently and a few teams in the Ivy have beaten the teams from the PL who have done something. Again, what have the NEC done for me lately?

ToTheLeft
May 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
8- Colonial
4- SoCon
3- Big Sky
2- MVFC
2- OVC
1- GWC
1- IVY
1- Big South
1- MEAC
1- SLC
1- Patriot

Tribe4SF
May 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM
CAA 8
Big Sky 4
SoCon 4
MVC 3
MEAC 2
SLC 2
OVC 1
PL 1

Tribe4SF
May 24th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I just hope that we do not see an overwhelming amount of CAA teams in the top 15 (i.e taking up 7 of top 15 spots).

Because you don't think they're good enough to warrant it? Would you exclude a team just because you think there are too many from the conference, without rating them objectively?

danefan
May 24th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Why should I reconsider my view of the NEC?

It is like the SWAC, in my opinion. Your conference has not done anything over the last few years. You may have a good team or two, but the rest of the league is relatively average or below average. The top teams in the league are circled in my book and once they win a noteworthy out of conference game, will receive their proper respect...

Albany was #36 in GPI last year. Top SWAC team was #40. After that, no one until 63 (SWAC), 64 (NEC). Your conference brings you down...

The Patriot League has done something recently and a few teams in the Ivy have beaten the teams from the PL who have done something. Again, what have the NEC done for me lately?

What exactly did the Patriot do last year? What did the Ivy do? The Patriot beats the Ivy - the Ivy beats the Patriot - but somehow that's good enough to get 3 teams from the two leagues in? Are you still relying on the Colgate run in 2003?

The PL champion got worked by Villanova in the playoffs - worked. But apparently that was good enough?

Albany is arguable as a top 25 team. That's fine. But your voting is consistently inconsistent.

And relying on the GPI to vote is circular logic. The GPI uses your vote as a component. You are voting based on your voting.

sorry, but I just don't get . And I'm not the only one.

Syntax Error
May 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM
CAA in full effect from their AGS members, I question the objectivity

kirkblitz
May 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM
when are the results posted? also i dont even know if this is possible but it would be cool if when i pick a team and move to the next number the team i picked earlier wouldnt be on my drop down list :)

AGSPoll
May 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
when are the results posted? also i dont even know if this is possible but it would be cool if when i pick a team and move to the next number the team i picked earlier wouldnt be on my drop down list :)

Poll results are announced Monday afternoons.

GannonFan
May 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
8- Colonial
4- SoCon
3- Big Sky
2- MVFC
2- OVC
1- GWC
1- IVY
1- Big South
1- MEAC
1- SLC
1- Patriot

This guy who had 8 CAA teams in his list is from a school from the Big South - should we question the objectivity of Big South voters now as well? Frankly, I'd question the objectivity of the more strident anti-CAA people. Way too much focus on the name of the conference rather than the teams involved, if you ask me. xwhistlex

ToTheLeft
May 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
This guy who had 8 CAA teams in his list is from a school from the Big South - should we question the objectivity of Big South voters now as well? Frankly, I'd question the objectivity of the more strident anti-CAA people. Way too much focus on the name of the conference rather than the teams involved, if you ask me. xwhistlex

For real. I look at what teams are the best. I am not going to just put teams in to make the "conference distribution" more balanced. That would be unfair, and kinda ridiculous.

Tribe4SF
May 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM

Holy Cross fan also has 8 from CAA.

SE denies lobbying, but he has been vocal about "too many from the CAA". If he would name his picks, and justify them, then we could have a reasonable discussion. His comments, unfortunately, are all focused on conferences, rather than any meaningful discussion of teams he questions being ranked.

Tribe4SF
May 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Not sure what "full effect" means. I'm the only CAA poster on this thread prior to your post.

So what are you talking about?

jmufan999
May 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM

TribeSF, you made some good points about this.

i think the CAA has earned the respect we're getting. when a conference has FOUR different national champions from 1998-2008 (UMass, Delaware, JMU, Richmond), i think we've proven it in the playoffs. get mad if you want, but those are facts; conference strength is more than one team, it's top to bottom. to give you an FBS equivalent, the SEC has only had 3 different champs in that same period (Tennessee, LSU, Florida).... and they don't have to do battle for a 4 week playoff, where teams from smaller conferences could knock them off.

to the person that said the CAA was only getting biased votes from AGS fans (forget who it was), the CAA had 4 of the top 8 (including #1 and #2) of the final GPI last year, which is completely unbiased and is a determing factor on Selection Sunday, a la the RPI in bball.

this topic doesn't make me mad, it just confuses me. every time someone says the CAA is overrated (which is what was implied), i never hear/read: the CAA is an inferior conference to _______ conference, and here's why: _____________.

jmufan999
May 24th, 2009, 08:54 PM
one more thing... i know this point has been made before, but heading into the playoffs last year, Richmond was the CAA's third representative (JMU #1, Nova #2). just saying.

93henfan
May 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_n9vv_SzKaWk/RcPRQvy2NsI/AAAAAAAAAAM/5DxJNvt4WNc/s400/complaint_department.jpg

But seriously, in a preseason poll, all you can go on is what you saw last year, when the CAA was clearly the strongest conference, and make reasonable assumptions based on players lost and players gained. Most of the best CAA teams didn't lose a whole lot, and some of the mediocre ones made significant additions, be it through players coming off injuries, transfers, recruiting, and everyone else getting another year stronger and smarter.

Syntax Error
May 24th, 2009, 09:18 PM
This guy who had 8 CAA teams in his list is from a school from the Big South - should we question the objectivity of Big South voters now as well? Frankly, I'd question the objectivity of the more strident anti-CAA people. Way too much focus on the name of the conference rather than the teams involved, if you ask me. xwhistlexWho is anti-CAA? xrolleyesx

93henfan
May 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Who is anti-CAA? xrolleyesx

MEAC refs. ;)

Syntax Error
May 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Not sure what "full effect" means. I'm the only CAA poster on this thread prior to your post.Sorry, I read more than one thread and have posted about many teams. Just because I do not agree with you about having CAA teams make up a third of the top 25 doesn't mean you have to get all personal. xreadx

Syntax Error
May 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
to the person that said the CAA was only getting biased votes from AGS fans... someone says the CAA is overrated (which is what was implied), i never hear/read: the CAA is an inferior conference to _______ conference, and here's why: _____________.Well if no one said any of those things then why be confused or expect your statement???

Gil Dobie
May 24th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Wonder how the turnout is so far

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Because you don't think they're good enough to warrant it? Would you exclude a team just because you think there are too many from the conference, without rating them objectively?

Is the CAA going to get 7, 8 teams in the playoffs this year?

Answer...NO.

Most of us vote in the poll at the beginning of the year based on how we think things will end up at the end of the year. There is no way the CAA will have half the teams in the top 15 at the end of the year.

Reading some of the posts on this board makes me believe that people are voting very heavy CAA and putting them really high up. Even if the top half of the league beat up on everyone else, there's still not enough teams to go around to have that many from the CAA amongst the top 15 in the nation!

And relying on the GPI to vote is circular logic. The GPI uses your vote as a component. You are voting based on your voting.

My vote? Yes, I vote in both AGS and TSN polls. However, I must say, there are many more factors and my vote is 1/90th of each of those two components of the much larger GPI.

93henfan
May 24th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Most of us vote in the poll at the beginning of the year based on how we think things will end up at the end of the year. There is no way the CAA will have half the teams in the top 15 at the end of the year.

Reading some of the posts on this board makes me believe that people are voting very heavy CAA and putting them really high up. Even if the top half of the league beat up on everyone else, there's still not enough teams to go around to have that many from the CAA amongst the top 15 in the nation!

So then you seem to be saying that you are putting weaker non-CAA teams ahead of stronger CAA teams, because by the end of the year the CAA teams will attrit each other. Interesting.

I prefer to rank the teams from strongest down to 25th strongest, regardless of their schedule. I treat each poll submission as a snapshot in time today (or at least through opening kickoff), not a crystal ball of late November.

To each their own I guess.

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I prefer to rank the teams from strongest down to 25th strongest, regardless of their schedule. I treat each poll submission as a snapshot in time today, not a crystal ball of late November.

To each their own I guess.

That's always been the debate...thought this was why the AGS poll has always had the best numbers at the end of the year compared to the other polls...? We have people that follow all the programs and can paint a pretty good picture of what will happen at the end of the year.

I know that I aim for the end of the year and then alter as the schedules, wins and losses go along.

kirkblitz
May 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
What do you have for your biggest rise next year? I think Liberty will get a at large berth and make it out of the first round.

93henfan
May 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
What do you have for your biggest rise next year? I think Liberty will get a at large berth and make it out of the first round.

I'm not ashamed to admit I was a serious homer with my biggest rise pick. :)

UNHWildCats
May 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
that could be tough. If they make it in they will almost surely face one of the 4 seeded teams.

Syntax Error
May 24th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I wonder if a Socon fan would get questioned as a homer if they had 8 Socon teams in the top 15?

Hoyadestroya85
May 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I'm not ashamed to admit I was a serious homer with my biggest rise pick. :)

I also picked them as biggest riser.. which is a coincidence because i named them biggest faller last year

ToTheLeft
May 24th, 2009, 10:47 PM

Awwww <3 Thanks sweetheart.

GannonFan
May 24th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I wonder if a Socon fan would get questioned as a homer if they had 8 Socon teams in the top 15?

Well, that would be 8 out of 9 teams from that conference. That would seem to be a lot, especially percentage-wise, especially since some have said that 2/3 of a team from one conference is way too much. But hey, if they can defend it logically, then by all means. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
May 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Is the CAA going to get 7, 8 teams in the playoffs this year?

Answer...NO.

Although I certainly love the playoff system, the playoff system does not mean that the top 15 teams are in the playoffs every year. Autobids are part of the equation and sometimes, a lesser team gets in.

Big Dawg
May 24th, 2009, 11:06 PM

I wanted to put Florida A&M as my Biggest Rise for 2009, but I went with Bethune Cookman(I didn't want to be a homer). I HONESTLY believe that by the time the playoffs roll around, The MEAC could possibly have 3 teams in the Top 25(FAMU, SCSU, and BCU). BCU had a very solid recruiing class and has alot of talent this year.

Hoyadestroya85
May 24th, 2009, 11:27 PM
shoot.. i left FAMU out of my top 25.. they should be good this year

smallcollegefbfan
May 24th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Although I certainly love the playoff system, the playoff system does not mean that the top 15 teams are in the playoffs every year. Autobids are part of the equation and sometimes, a lesser team gets in.

Great point. Just look at Texas State last year and the Patriot League in most years. Always 1-3 teams worthy who are left out due to auto bids.

Hoyadestroya85
May 24th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I think the autobids should be eliminated.. the best teams should get in. '07 Villanova could have made a lot of noise in the playoffs with the way they played down the stretch... Bill & Mary should've made it last year etc.

crusader11
May 24th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I think the autobids should be eliminated.. the best teams should get in. '07 Villanova could have made a lot of noise in the playoffs with the way they played down the stretch... Bill & Mary should've made it last year etc.

It's debateable. You think autobids should be eliminated in NCAA hoops too?

kirkblitz
May 24th, 2009, 11:51 PM
i think during some years they shouldnt be there and other years they should. I prefer them if i can get one lol. Hopefully when the BSC gets theirs the best team will get in, not just the luckiest!

FargoBison
May 24th, 2009, 11:52 PM
CAA-7
SoCon-4
Big Sky-3
MVFC-3
SLC-2
GWFC-1
Ivy-1
MEAC-1
NEC-1
OVC-1
PL-1

Skjellyfetti
May 25th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Seems like most everyone has 4 teams from the Socon in the top 25.

I assume three of the teams are App, Wofford, and Elon. Are most of y'all in agreement on the fourth? And is it Furman, Samford, or Georgia Southern? Those three teams seem to be on pretty equal footing at this point to me. Just curious which one is thought of as the best currently (although, I guess I can just wait until the poll comes out).

Tribe4SF
May 25th, 2009, 02:01 AM

Why does it make you believe that? We're talking top 25 here, not top 15.

You also mentioned projecting to the end of the year, and referenced the GPI. In the final GPI last year there were six CAA teams in the top 15, and seven in the top 25.

On my current ballot I have five in the top 15, and eight in the top 25. Based on your criteria that doesn't seem like a stretch at all.

Tribe4SF
May 25th, 2009, 02:07 AM

I assume three of the teams are App, Wofford, and Elon. Are most of y'all in agreement on the fourth? And is it Furman, Samford, or Georgia Southern? Those three teams seem to be on pretty equal footing at this point to me. Just curious which one is thought of as the best currently (although, I guess I can just wait until the poll comes out).

I would guess all three are getting some votes. They were all close for me, but Samford got a vote.

Syntax Error
May 25th, 2009, 02:31 AM
On my current ballot I have five in the top 15, and eight in the top 25. Based on your criteria that doesn't seem like a stretch at all.
Like I said before...

Tribe4SF
May 25th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Like I said before...

Sorry, I don't follow your point. Are you saying that TT's criteria are incorrect, or that the final GPI was erroneous to rank so many from the CAA at the end of '08?

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2009, 07:38 AM

I did not rank any of those other three but have them all in the 26-30 range and feel like any of them could end the season ranked. Samford is real interesting because they have talent but won't be able to sneak up on anyone and GSU was very young last year. Furman has a good QB and always reloads on the OL so it will be intriguing to see how things unfold there. I think the SoCon will have 2 or 3 teams in the playoffs this year.

Saint3333
May 25th, 2009, 07:44 AM
They will have 3 teams that will be worthy of the playoffs, but due to the W-L records, likely only two will make it. If only we didn't have to play everyone in our conferencexsmiley_wix.

dgreco
May 25th, 2009, 08:40 AM
my login no longer works =/

Gil Dobie
May 25th, 2009, 08:56 AM
my login no longer works =/

I got a new login this year via the email sent by AGS

AGSPoll
May 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Just a reminder that voting time is winding down, if you haven't gotten your ballot done yet time is running out.

Gil Dobie
May 25th, 2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.sandysknitting.com/images/voted.gif

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM

I had Furman in. Aside from 2 1-A games, I like how their schedule lines up, with the big SoCon games at home.

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM
As someone else posted.

http://www.sandysknitting.com/images/voted.gif

Hoyadestroya85
May 25th, 2009, 10:47 AM
It's debateable. You think autobids should be eliminated in NCAA hoops too?

That's a tougher one.. I wouldn't be upset if they got rid of them, but i'm not particularly huge on doing so. From an economic standpoint, it would make sense to the NCAA

Ivytalk
May 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Got mine in! danefan will be thrilled to learn that I have no Ivies ranked.xwhistlex My lone PL team is Holy Cross, and I put Delaware toward the bottom. The improved QB situation alone is worth the "gamble" in our new sports betting climate!:D

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM
That's a tougher one.. I wouldn't be upset if they got rid of them, but i'm not particularly huge on doing so. From an economic standpoint, it would make sense to the NCAA

I see where he is coming from but the David vs. Goliath and Cinderella aspect is what makes the NCAA Tournament so intriguing. Who doesn't like to see an upset? xthumbsupx

crusader11
May 25th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I see where he is coming from but the David vs. Goliath and Cinderella aspect is what makes the NCAA Tournament so intriguing. Who doesn't like to see an upset? xthumbsupx

Bingo. There doesn't seem to be that same intrigue with having a 15 or 16 playing against a 1 or 2 in the FCS Tournament. When was the last time one of these seeds advanced to the second round?

Tribe4SF
May 25th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Got mine in! danefan will be thrilled to learn that I have no Ivies ranked.xwhistlex My lone PL team is Holy Cross, and I put Delaware toward the bottom. The improved QB situation alone is worth the "gamble" in our new sports betting climate!:D

xeekxxeekxxeekx Another CAA Homer!!! xeekxxeekxxeekx

Ivytalk
May 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM
xeekxxeekxxeekx Another CAA Homer!!! xeekxxeekxxeekx

I have W&M ranked a lot higher, Tribe4SF!xnodxxsmiley_wix

Hoyadestroya85
May 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM
There would still be upsets.. it would just be lesser upsets. I don't think they need to change the NCAA Tourney though... I just think it would be a breath of fresh air to see the best 16 teams play for the FCS title considering some conferences never do well and others seem to always go far.

Tribe4SF
May 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I have W&M ranked a lot higher, Tribe4SF!xnodxxsmiley_wix

Well then, that's OK!xthumbsupx