PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Projections and Information

smallcollegefbfan
May 23rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Guys,

Let's face it the SWAC pumps out solid NFL players at times and has a couple of good teams. We don't know much about the league in general and their best players. Let's hear some info from SWAC fans and those who know of the top players and others. Here is a list of some SWAC players on my radar as possible All-America, NFL, or those who could have a big year in the league.

QB Bryant Lee, Southern, Sr.
WR Juamorris Stewart, Southern, Sr.
WR William Osbourne, Texas Southern, Sr.
WR Thomas Harris, Alabama A&M, Sr.
OT Mikael Harshaw, Jackson State, Sr.
OG Eric Jones, Jackson State, Sr.
C Xavier Manuel, Alabama A&M, Sr.
RB Donald Babers, Prairie View A&M, Sr.
DE Christian Anthony, Grambling State, Sr.
DE Jeremy Maddox, Alabama A&M, Sr.
DE Sam Washington, Jackson State, Sr.
LB Marcus Jamison, Jackson State, Sr.
DB Anthony Beck, Prairie View A&M, Sr.
DB Kevin Thornton, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Sr.
DB Kenneth Anio, Grambling State, Sr.
DB Malcolm Palmer, Jackson State, Sr.
K Jeremy Licea, Alabama A&M, Sr.
P Pedro Ventura, Prairie View A&M, Jr.
RS Kiare Thompson, Grambling State, Jr.

I really think Jackson State will be solid this year. They have a good defensive group and return all of their starters on the OL. They are having to break in some new WRs but have young talent that should make for an intriguing year watching the Tigers. The nickname for the JSU defense is the "Dark Side" defense.

Anyone else have some predictions or interesting tidbits from the SWAC?

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
My questions...

What kind of year is William Osbourne going to have? I really think he is one of the fastest guys in FCS from watching him on the tube and reading up on him. Is he going to put himself in position to be drafted?

Can Comegy win the big one(s) this year?

smallcollegefbfan
May 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
My questions...

What kind of year is William Osbourne going to have? I really think he is one of the fastest guys in FCS from watching him on the tube and reading up on him. Is he going to put himself in position to be drafted?

Can Comegy win the big one(s) this year?

Osbourne is too small to be a NFL prospect. He reminds me of a slightly less productive DaVon Fowlkes who was given a free agent deal but cut very quickly after camp. I just don't see Osbourne being drafted based on my experience with NFL scouts and players.

datruth4u
May 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Grambling is by far the cream of the crop this season....They return essentialy everyone from last season SWAC Title team.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
Grambling is by far the cream of the crop this season....They return essentialy everyone from last season SWAC Title team.

Creating another question... where does Grambling stand nationally? Can they beat South Carolina State AND Northwestern State? Would either win really impress people?

smallcollegefbfan
May 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Creating another question... where does Grambling stand nationally? Can they beat South Carolina State AND Northwestern State? Would either win really impress people?

They shouldn't beat SCSU but I would think that they should beat NW State possibly. SCSU returns a lot of talent and peoplep forget to mention that several of their players would be in the ACC or SEC right now, if not for academic issues. Based on pure talent they should be a top 15 team, easily. We will see if what they have on paper translates to wins again.

DFW HOYA
May 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Where does Prairie View stand in regards to 2009? PVA&M's recent turnaround is one of the more underrated stories in years.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Where does Prairie View stand in regards to 2009? PVA&M's recent turnaround is one of the more underrated stories in years.

I think as long as Henry Frazier III is at the helm, they will have the talent. Still need that breakthrough win against Grambling...

Problem with HF3, is the school has not made the best moves as far as scheduling and shorted him a chance to really give his program a chance at an at-large if they can take care of everything else sans Grambling...

datruth4u
May 23rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
They shouldn't beat SCSU but I would think that they should beat NW State possibly. SCSU returns a lot of talent and peoplep forget to mention that several of their players would be in the ACC or SEC right now, if not for academic issues. Based on pure talent they should be a top 15 team, easily. We will see if what they have on paper translates to wins again.

I wouldn't sleep on a loaded Grambling team in 2009....That defense will be ruthless...Grambling more than likely will loose one game in 09 and it will be to a FBS program.

Smendy
May 23rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks to Hampton's propensity of picking up big time FCS transfers, the MEAC would probably have more talent than the SWAC, correct?

blackcaesar3k5
May 23rd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Coach Henry Fraizer has wonderful job at PVAM.. The Panthers definitely need play more FCS teams from Southland, Southern, and Meac conference... Frazier owe some of his success to Defensive Coordinator Hershima Northern.. The Purple haze defense are going give offensive coordinators nightmares in SWAC..

Small: Jackson State does has what it takes to win SWAC Conference.. Coach Comegy has done wonderful job since replacing James Bell back in 06.. JSU definitely got the defense in place to win SWAC conference.. There only problem is on offensive side of ball and quarterback Trae Ruthland.. Ruthland hasn't live up hype since transferring Jackson State back in 07.. I believe Offensive Coordinator James Woody is going to make offense simply for him and give more freedom this season.. Woody' runs offensive system silimar to Indianapolis Colts, San diego Chargers, South Carolina Gamecocks and Florida State.. So don't be surpise if you see Jackson State rely more on running the football in 09..

TT: I believe Grambling State will beat South Carolina State and NW State...

Tribe4SF
May 24th, 2009, 06:01 AM

Good luck to Grambling against SCSU. I see a different outcome.

813Jag
May 24th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Don't count out Southern, they get PV at home and Grambling in N.O. (which always can go either way). The have some holes to fill on defense, but in this case that could be a blessing. The defense was inconsistent last season. Offense should be fine with Lee and Stewart in the passing game and Silas Gibbs and a host of backs capable of carrying the ball. That's providing Coach Orlando gets his head out of his hind quarters (which I doubt). xnonono2x

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Coach Henry Fraizer has wonderful job at PVAM.. The Panthers definitely need play more FCS teams from Southland, Southern, and Meac conference... Frazier owe some of his success to Defensive Coordinator Hershima Northern.. The Purple haze defense are going give offensive coordinators nightmares in SWAC..

The athletic department stopped the SHSU series from happening. When Morehouse dropped, there was flexibility to get it going. A shame PV. Now, we're booked for '09 and '10.

We'll see. If Grambling goes 0-2 in that stretch, it would be interesting. I'm just not certain that Northwestern State is going to be a patsy this year some think. Peveto is turning that program around and they could end up in the hunt for an SLC title.

Considering the SWAC has slipped lately as far as results outside of conference, that would be a big win if they can get it...

813Jag
May 24th, 2009, 08:04 AM
The athletic department stopped the SHSU series from happening. When Morehouse dropped, there was flexibility to get it going. A shame PV. Now, we're booked for '09 and '10.

We'll see. If Grambling goes 0-2 in that stretch, it would be interesting. I'm just not certain that Northwestern State is going to be a patsy this year some think. Peveto is turning that program around and they could end up in the hunt for an SLC title.

Considering the SWAC has slipped lately as far as results outside of conference, that would be a big win if they can get it...
I agree, at this point any FCS OOC wins are good wins.

blackcaesar3k5
May 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Tribe: South Carolina State head football coach Buddy Pough has history of choking in big games.. Don't be surpise if Grambling upset SCSU Bulldogs in Orlando, FL...

blackcaesar3k5
May 24th, 2009, 01:46 PM
813: Texas Southern might shock some people in swac for 2009 season.. Johnnie Cole has kanck for turning around losing program and running quick-strike wide open offense as well..

TexasTerror
May 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
813: Texas Southern might shock some people in swac for 2009 season.. Johnnie Cole has kanck for turning around losing program and running quick-strike wide open offense as well..

What's their situation at QB? Didn't they get a JUCO quarterback? Cole is going to get some offensive numbers out of most anyone throws behind center, but the question is will it be a game-changer?

blackcaesar3k5
May 25th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Let's not forget about the Alabama A&M Bulldogs... Anthony Jones is still coaching on the sidelines in Normal, Alabama..

JagHammer
May 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Don't count out Southern, they get PV at home and Grambling in N.O. (which always can go either way). The have some holes to fill on defense, but in this case that could be a blessing. The defense was inconsistent last season. Offense should be fine with Lee and Stewart in the passing game and Silas Gibbs and a host of backs capable of carrying the ball. That's providing Coach Orlando gets his head out of his hind quarters (which I doubt). xnonono2x

I actually believe that Orlando will actually utilize the backfield we are blessed with, especially with Silas in the backfield. The success of the offense will truly rest upon their execution of the plays, and the strength of the O-line, which would open up holes for the running back, and create time for B. Lee or any other QB to bomb it out to Stewart or any other one of the wide receivers.

The DB and Linebacker corps should be solid this year, with a few surprises up front. It will be interesting to watch, especially with The Dean finally getting his carrot. :)

813Jag
May 26th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I actually believe that Orlando will actually utilize the backfield we are blessed with, especially with Silas in the backfield. The success of the offense will truly rest upon their execution of the plays, and the strength of the O-line, which would open up holes for the running back, and create time for B. Lee or any other QB to bomb it out to Stewart or any other one of the wide receivers.

The DB and Linebacker corps should be solid this year, with a few surprises up front. It will be interesting to watch, especially with The Dean finally getting his carrot. :)
I don't have much faith in Orlando, but hopefully the backs will get more carries instead of Lee. I don't worry about the receivers. Hopefully the D can contain running QBs this year.

I'll be at a few games this season. xthumbsupx

JagHammer
May 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I don't have much faith in Orlando, but hopefully the backs will get more carries instead of Lee. I don't worry about the receivers. Hopefully the D can contain running QBs this year.

I'll be at a few games this season. xthumbsupx

Sweet!xthumbsupx

Panther88
May 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Grambling is the top dog in the SWAC (right now). Until they're dethroned, IMO, they're the #1 team. They're very solid on O (led by qb Dillon) and their D is solid from stopping the run to halting the pass.

The SWAC W, IMO, is the strongest of the divisions from top to bottom. I REALLY hate that PV is in the West lol. Every single team is dangerous and can potentially be the SWAC West rep. UAPB is an up and coming as is sTu. Both squads are physically gifted/talented and have the capability to win as required. Southern is beyond the capability as well. Well coached and w/ physically gifted/talented student-athletes, they too could easily win the SWAC W and possibly the SWAC Football Championship.

PV has shown a glimpse of what it's about to evolve to. The biggest question for PV is.... who's going to lead us? lol The QB position has been one of great debate the last few years. Loyalty vs winning vs 2nd guessing caused some "stuff" to come out (political) that was never evident before. We do have returnees Mr Bluford (4th yr sr), Mr Black (W Kentucky txfer), Mr PSt (txfer 6'4" 220lbs and has a canon/laser for an arm), Mr Dewberry (2nd best dual threat qb out of the D/FW metroplex 2 yrs ago - still learning), Mr Nwokobia - (FBISD product who was somewhat regarded leaving HS), and Mr "Boomer Sooner" (txfer from OU - big kid 6'5" 230lbs of laser arm). Couple that w/ the redshirts from last year (somewhat regarded big WRs, big safeties, OL, and DL) - txfer big WRs from UKan/UMizzou, I thnk we'll be okay. We also retrurn 17 of 22 starters. Some have questioned our defensive MLB and OLB positions w/ the departure of Mr East. From what I saw in the spr' game, we'll be a-okay @ the LB positions.

blackcaesar3k5
May 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM
813jag: Is Southern still running the Fast break no-huddle offense under Orlando or they running spread offense like Florida gators????

Native
May 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Guys,

Let's face it the SWAC pumps out solid NFL players at times and has a couple of good teams. We don't know much about the league in general and their best players. Let's hear some info from SWAC fans and those who know of the top players and others. Here is a list of some SWAC players on my radar as possible All-America, NFL, or those who could have a big year in the league.

QB Bryant Lee, Southern, Sr.
WR Juamorris Stewart, Southern, Sr.
WR William Osbourne, Texas Southern, Sr.
WR Thomas Harris, Alabama A&M, Sr.
OT Mikael Harshaw, Jackson State, Sr.
OG Eric Jones, Jackson State, Sr.
C Xavier Manuel, Alabama A&M, Sr.
RB Donald Babers, Prairie View A&M, Sr.
DE Christian Anthony, Grambling State, Sr.
DE Jeremy Maddox, Alabama A&M, Sr.
DE Sam Washington, Jackson State, Sr.
LB Marcus Jamison, Jackson State, Sr.
DB Anthony Beck, Prairie View A&M, Sr.
DB Kevin Thornton, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Sr.
DB Kenneth Anio, Grambling State, Sr.
DB Malcolm Palmer, Jackson State, Sr.
K Jeremy Licea, Alabama A&M, Sr.
P Pedro Ventura, Prairie View A&M, Jr.
RS Kiare Thompson, Grambling State, Jr.

I really think Jackson State will be solid this year. They have a good defensive group and return all of their starters on the OL. They are having to break in some new WRs but have young talent that should make for an intriguing year watching the Tigers. The nickname for the JSU defense is the "Dark Side" defense.

Anyone else have some predictions or interesting tidbits from the SWAC?

...and none from Alcorn State. xsmhx

What an unfortunately dysfunctional cluster farm after President Bristow died. The so-called "adults" are caught up in office politics and maneuvering for position while the kids suffer. xnonono2xxnonono2x

I was glad to see Lee Robinson get picked up by Denver, though. I suppose 2009 (or 2010?) will be the last season for coach Johnny "Ripsaw" Thomas' recruits to play. Anybody know what hapened to Ripsaw? He beat Comegy and ruined the JSU hopes for a conference playoff game in Comegy's first year at JSU in 2006.

I hope the "Brave" get their act together soon.

813Jag
May 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM
813jag: Is Southern still running the Fast break no-huddle offense under Orlando or they running spread offense like Florida gators????
they run more of a spread option with the QB getting most of the carries. They did throw the ball down field more last season.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 27th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Here's to an extremely competitive 2009 SWAC season. xthumbsupx

Mr. Tiger
May 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Grambling and Jackson State were young in several positions. Grambling should be better. Jackson State will be better IF we can get better QB play. Southern is dangerous because of its QB and Prairie View will be solid. Alabama A&M should be solid. Texas Southern will show improvement and upset someone. Overall, it should be a better year than last season and the West will be stronger than the East.

Here's my prediction

East
1. Jackson State
2. Alabama A&M
3. Alabama State
4. Mississippi Valley
5. Alcorn

West
1. Grambling
2. Southern
3. Prairie View
4. Texas Southern
5. UAPB

jstate83
May 28th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Grambling and Jackson State were young in several positions. Grambling should be better. Jackson State will be better IF we can get better QB play. Southern is dangerous because of its QB and Prairie View will be solid. Alabama A&M should be solid. Texas Southern will show improvement and upset someone. Overall, it should be a better year than last season and the West will be stronger than the East.

Here's my prediction

East
1. Jackson State
2. Alabama A&M
3. Alabama State
4. Mississippi Valley
5. Alcorn

West
1. Grambling
2. Southern
3. Prairie View
4. Texas Southern
5. UAPB

Question of the day now is WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE WILL WE HAVE. xsmiley_wix
Lot of shat went down last night at the JSU athletic Complex.
My phone started blowing up around 6:30pm last night about this.

JAMES WOODY out as JSU OC?..........Tune in tomorrow. (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=1c2c0fa2a68b4861acc36c26240252e2&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a1c2c0fa2a68b4861acc36c26240252e2 Post%3aaf86546e-df47-47c4-a7ed-3b998fe2589c&sid=sitelife.clarionledger.com)

Kareem Copeland's page
JSU beat writer for the Clarion ledger.

Get back in town from nearly a week away and things are going down already...
Looks like offensive coordinator James Woody has been fired. No official comment from the university yet,
but one is expected this afternoon. The football staff is in meetings as we speak and the athletic administrators have meetings scheduled to discuss something...

However, I did get it confirmed from someone close to the program that couldn't speak about it.
Apparently something happened yesterday because Woody was in the office in staff meetings.
His office phone still prompts messages for James Woody.

Panther88
May 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I really hate that we're in the SWAC West. lol All I see is strength week in and week out. :(

813Jag
May 28th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I really hate that we're in the SWAC West. lol All I see is strength week in and week out. :(

I just made some calls, got all my connections for that Thursday night game. Expect to see lots of this........ xflaggedx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Panther88
May 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I just made some calls, got all my connections for that Thursday night game. Expect to see lots of this........ xflaggedx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

lol Yeh, we expect you all to bring in the "special" referees. lol The game hasn't officially started yet and I think SU is up 14-0 entering the 1st quarter. xlolx

blackcaesar3k5
May 29th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Derrick McCall is the new offensive coordinator at Jackson State...

813Jag
May 29th, 2009, 09:36 AM
lol Yeh, we expect you all to bring in the "special" referees. lol The game hasn't officially started yet and I think SU is up 14-0 entering the 1st quarter. xlolx
I'm getting the gumbo ready to feed the refs, we have a nice place to feed them now. xlolx Gotta look good on TV with the facility.

Mr. Tiger
May 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM

xflaggedx As Lee Corso would say......Not so fast my friend.

crossfire07
May 31st, 2009, 05:36 AM
We'll see. If Grambling goes 0-2 in that stretch, it would be interesting. I'm just not certain that Northwestern State is going to be a patsy this year some think. Peveto is turning that program around and they could end up in the hunt for an SLC title

I don't think Northwestern would lose to Grambling even if Stoker was still there.I never considered Northwestern to be a patsy even in their worst years but everybody is getting pretty high on Peveto but I will wait and see how it plays out. people have great expectations for a man that has yet to play a game as a head coach at any level. I truly wish him the best except the nights he plays McNeese. do you think people's expectations would be as high if he would have been a fired coach at any other school instead of LSU?
I doubt it either.

Syntax Error
May 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM
AWESOME SWAC talk!

jstate83
June 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM

xflaggedx As Lee Corso would say......Not so fast my friend.

This has been the most bullshat week in JSU football in a long time.
5 day's suspension without pay.

Oh well.xlolx
If that offense don't spark this fall, people here will not be screaming for Woody's head anymore.
It's all on COMEGY now. xnodx
You know how it is here Mr. Tiger.

Two perfect oppertunities to get rid of him.
#1) After last season and then that gawd awful SCG performance.xsmhx
#2) THIS WEEK.......................xsmhx

blackcaesar3k5
June 1st, 2009, 02:41 PM
JSU83/MR Tiger: I agree that Comegy should made changes on offensive side of the coaching staff.. He should had fired offensive line coach Bruce Johnson and went after somebody like Walt Highsmith..

Trae Ruthland has never lived up to hype comming out of high school anyway.. Tigers coaching staff should pray that they could get gunsliger that transfer from FBS like FAMU did back in 08..

Mr. Tiger
June 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
JSU83/MR Tiger: I agree that Comegy should made changes on offensive side of the coaching staff.. He should had fired offensive line coach Bruce Johnson and went after somebody like Walt Highsmith..

Trae Ruthland has never lived up to hype comming out of high school anyway.. Tigers coaching staff should pray that they could get gunsliger that transfer from FBS like FAMU did back in 08..

Rutland and Johnson xnonono2x I agree. But don't give Woody a free pass because his play-calling is HIGHLY suspect and he is the main reason Rutland IS the starter. He has yet to change his spread offense to meet our personnel and he has run off several players. We had about six quarterbacks to start the season last year and ended the season with Rutland, an injured backup, and a WR who played QB in high school. xsmhx

blackcaesar3k5
June 2nd, 2009, 04:36 AM
Tiger: The offensive system worked well at FAMU, Tuskegee and Central State.. Coach James Woody should take more of conservative apporach with offense by running the ball and using more of ace packages and two tight end sets like New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers..

I understand that one of the players left because he were homesick and Britt was basically another whinner and complained to his parents....

kdinva
June 2nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
When will the SWAC powers-that-be adjust their master schedule so they can participate in the 1-AA playoffs?xcoffeex

crossfire07
June 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
I have been wondering the samething for years.it isn't like they couldn't make it happen if they wanted to.

jstate83
June 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
When will the SWAC powers-that-be adjust their master schedule so they can participate in the 1-AA playoffs?xcoffeex

Probably when the NCAA gives teams in the FCS playoffs a share in the advertising revenue like they do in FBS.
I would love to see JSU back in the playoff's but with money tight at all our schools, we got to maximize our dollars any way we can.

SU/Gram, JSU/Alcorn, and Bamma State/Tuskeegee put's a lot of dollars in the coffers that we would not get in the playoff's.
If they move the JSU/Alcorn game back to Thanksgiving, then we are talking about a bump in attendance up from 35,000-43,000 up to over 55,000 guranteed for that game.

jstate83
June 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Tiger: The offensive system worked well at FAMU, Tuskegee and Central State.. Coach James Woody should take more of conservative apporach with offense by running the ball and using more of ace packages and two tight end sets like New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers..

I understand that one of the players left because he were homesick and Britt was basically another whinner and complained to his parents....

Woody had 6'5", 260lb Marcell Frost, (Ohio State Transfer), for 3 years and didn't even look at him during a game.
Dude would be open all day down the middle and he would only get 1 or 2 passes to him all game and they usually came in the 1st qtr.
After that, marcel was a forgotten player the rest of the game.
Every week Woody would get on TV talking about how FROST would be used in the offense "this week".
After the game it's the same old shat.
Frost ....... 2 catches.........50 yards.........in the 1st qtr.xsmhx

As for running the ball, Woody's favorite play is the QB draw.
He call's that play 20 times a game and it don't take a expert on the opposite side of the field to figure Woody out in 1 qtr.
As for the running backs, he recruit's all these 5'6", 190lb dudes from Pennsylvania and Ohio.
All these big fast arse brusing running back's in this area and he recruit's NONE.
hell.................HE HARDLY RECRUIT'S THE JACKSON METRO.

We had 4 JUCO's from Pennsylvania come in last year.
Three little RB's and a QB named MacNamaria(?).
NONE OF THOSE GUY'S LASTED THE YEAR AND DIDN'T DO SQUAT.
The QB didn't even make it to August and the homesick QB from OHIO never got started.
People just sit in this city and shake their head's at some of the decisions being made now.
I don't mind out of state recruit's at all so don't get me wrong.
But with all the great football being played in this state, nobody can tell me they can't do a better job right here at home and reduce that "homesickness".

They only got 2 recruit's from an area, (Jackson Metro), that has over 15 school's in the 2 largest classifications, (5a/4a) in Mississippi alone.
That's not even counting all the other's within a 20 mile radius.

JSU 2009 Recruits
1. Alfred Moreland, ATH, Banneker HS (Atlanta, GA) 5-7, 180 pounds
2. Milton Patterson, LB, Banneker HS (Atlanta, GA), 5-11, 230 pounds
3. Akeem Williams, CB, SWMS CC (McComb, MS), 6-2, 190 pounds
4. Richar Hughes, FS, SW Dekalb HS (Decatur, GA), 6-0, 185 pounds
5. Todd Wilcher, ILB, Westlake HS (Atlanta, GA), 6-1, 220 pounds
6. Tobias Williams, ILB/RE, Stephenson HS (Lithonia, GA), 6-2, 245 pounds
7. DeAndre Davis, OT, ML King HS (Decatur, GA), 6-4, 300 pounds
8. Darius Mitchell, OG/C, Westlake HS (Atlanta, GA) 6-2, 320 pounds
9. Ameer Townes, OG, Converse-Judson HS (San Antonio, TX) 6-1, 300 pounds
10. Chris Holmes, DT, Grand Rapids CC, 6-3, 300 pounds
11. Jonathan Archie, DE, Starkville HS (Starkville, MS) 6-2, 230 pounds
12. Antowan Westry, OT, Montgomery HS (Seemes, AL) 6-2, 295 pounds
13. Antonio Brame, CB, Trinity HS (Eulies, TX) 6-1, 170 pounds
14. Jonathan Billups, DT, Picayune HS (Picayune, MS) 6-1, 305 pounds
15. Reginald Bailey, LB, Picayune HS (Picayune, MS) 6-3, 210 pounds
16. Rico Richardson, WR, Natchez HS (Natches, MS) 6-0, 185 pounds
17. Jerel Walker, C, Lackawanna CC, 6-2, 285 pounds
18. Aristacus Forster, OT, Verbum HS (Los Angeles, CA) 6-3, 305 pounds
19. Cardell Turner, WR, Reedley CC (Fresno, CA) 6-3, 190 pounds
20. Milton Thomas, DT, Auburn HS (Auburn, AL) 6-2, 295 pounds
21. Derrick Jean , C, Miami Central HS (Miami, FL) 6-3, 255 pounds
22. Jordan Miller, OT, Miami Central HS (Miami, FL) 6-2, 260 pounds
23. Quatavis Parks, ATH, Maplewood HS (Nashville, TN) 5-10, 185 pounds
24. Stephen Capler, C, Ridgeland HS (Ridgeland, MS) 6-2, 280 pounds
25. Nathan Simms, CB/ATH, Arkansas Baptist CC , 6-1, 190 pounds
26. Mike Hill,LB, Murrah HS, Jackson, MS, 6-0, 185 pounds.

Complete write up on each recruit. (http://meacswacsports.blogspot.com/2009/02/jsu-football-inks-28-on-initial-signing.html)

The Jackson State coaching staff may have narrowed the geographical reach of its recruiting efforts this year, but it certainly didn't shrink its out-of-state success. Only seven of 28 signees were Mississippi natives, with seven coming from the Atlanta area of Georgia alone. "We went in there as teams and covered a lot of Georgia," JSU coach Rick Comegy said. "Georgia had the gold mine this year. I think we got some of the best out of that state."

kdinva
June 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
I have been wondering the samething for years.it isn't like they couldn't make it happen if they wanted to.

Maybe the SWAC and the Ivies can hold their own set of playoffs:p

JagHammer
June 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
He call's that play 20 times a game and it don't take a expert on the opposite side of the field to figure Woody out in 1 qtr.
As for the running backs, he recruit's all these 5'6", 190lb dudes from Pennsylvania and Ohio.
All these big fast arse brusing running back's in this area and he recruit's NONE.

That's going to hurt y'all in the long run. I'm glad the Dean knows to keep a balance between in and out of state recruits. A program never wants to alienate its hometown athletes. Jackson State does not have the disadvantages Southern has. Southern influence on recruiting locally is hampered by the juggernaut LSU is. You all got to fix that...xrotatehx

JagHammer
June 2nd, 2009, 09:56 AM

That's going to hurt y'all in the long run. I'm glad the Dean knows to keep a balance between in and out of state recruits. A program never wants to alienate its hometown athletes. Jackson State does not have the disadvantages Southern has. Southern influence on recruiting locally is hampered by the juggernaut LSU is. You all got to fix that...xrotatehx

3rd Coast Tiger
June 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Probably when the NCAA gives teams in the FCS playoffs a share in the advertising revenue like they do in FBS.
I would love to see JSU back in the playoff's but with money tight at all our schools, we got to maximize our dollars any way we can.

SU/Gram, JSU/Alcorn, and Bama State/Tuskegee put's a lot of dollars in the coffers that we would not get in the playoff's.
If they move the JSU/Alcorn game back to Thanksgiving, then we are talking about a bump in attendance up from 35,000-43,000 up to over 55,000 guranteed for that game.

That just about sums it up. xthumbsupx

blackcaesar3k5
June 2nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Tiger: I believe Woody should coached and call plays from pressbox like his mentor and old boss Billy Joe did at Central State and FAMU..

83: Marcel Frost dropped lots of passes as well during 08 season.. Especially during the MEAC-SWAC challenage against Hampton..

Maybe you guys need to put pressure on Recruiting coordinator Jack Bush... He's the one responblie for scouting and recruiting talent to Jackson State..

crossfire07
June 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM

advertising revenue? it is not like every playoff game is on tv therefore there is no advertising revenue. I see all these really small schools in the playoffs every year and they find the money to be able to swing it. even Nicholls in the Southland has the money as hard as they are always strapped for cash. I know whenever most FCS schools have a game on tv it is usually full of ads from companies that already support the program so I don't get it.

kdinva
June 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM
advertising revenue? it is not like every playoff game is on tv therefore there is no advertising revenue. I see all these really small schools in the playoffs every year and they find the money to be able to swing it. even Nicholls in the Southland has the money as hard as they are always strapped for cash. I know whenever most FCS schools have a game on tv it is usually full of ads from companies that already support the program so I don't get it.
So true. Wofford: 1160 TOTAL students (and a private college with higher fees than Jack. st., et al), find a way to make the post-season, and they don't forfeit because of $$$$. Furman: about 2500-2700 students (private school). U of R; about 3200-3400 students (private).

Mr. Tiger
June 3rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
So true. Wofford: 1160 TOTAL students (and a private college with higher fees than Jack. st., et al), find a way to make the post-season, and they don't forfeit because of $$$$. Furman: about 2500-2700 students (private school). U of R; about 3200-3400 students (private).

Wofford and Furman have athletic budgets that are twice as large as Jackson State. You can't compare private to public. We are a state-supported school in a state with limited funds, especially during the recession. I love the playoffs and would support a return to the playoff system, but right now I am more concern with increasing our athletic budget with good FCS matchups. I would like for us to schedule a Southland or Southern Conference team next year or even this year since we only have a 10-game schedule. But this year we should move the Alcorn game to Thanksgiving to boost attendance.

jstate83
June 3rd, 2009, 07:50 AM

Making the post season is no problem.
You misunderstood what I'm saying.
I said I would love for JSU to be BACK in the playoff's but the $$$$$ we get from the CCC, (Same with SU/GRAM BC and Alabama/Tuskeege), is too much to turn down right now.
The JSU/Alcorn game is already in compliance with the NCAA playoff schedule because we play the day BEFORE the playoff bid's go out.
Gram and SU play the week after and is the only FCS school's that have a deal with one of the MAJOR NETWORK's to televise a game every year.
That is money and exposure that can't be turned down.

Wofford and Furman have athletic budgets that are twice as large as Jackson State. You can't compare private to public. We are a state-supported school in a state with limited funds, especially during the recession. I love the playoffs and would support a return to the playoff system, but right now I am more concern with increasing our athletic budget with good FCS matchups. I would like for us to schedule a Southland or Southern Conference team next year or even this year since we only have a 10-game schedule. But this year we should move the Alcorn game to Thanksgiving to boost attendance.

Thank you.

I'm not worried about JSU scheduling team's we used to play.
I would like for us to get the Louisana FCS school's back on our schedules in the regular season like we used to do.
Comming off that mandate, it's just going to take a little longer to get everythng schedule wise worked out for 3 or 4 years down the line.

jstate83
June 3rd, 2009, 07:55 AM

I know there is more to it than that but I'm just saying if the NCAA can afford to pay 2 FBS school's $17 million to play in one bowl game, nobody can tell me the NCAA can't work out a better deal money wise for us in FCS for the playoffs.
It would not take moving the Earth out of orbit for the NCAA to do a better job of advertising and getting sponsership behind the FCS playoffs.
As it stands right now, the NCAA just say you in the playoff's now basically put on the show.
Again, I know there is more to it than that but that is the nutshell hangup our leadership have with the playoff's right now.
Nobody is scared to play cause if we were, none of us would be scheduling these FBS teams we play at the beginning of the season.

crossfire07
June 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
anything that happens in the FBS you can in no way shape or form try to translate to FCS ball simply because the networks deem us unworthy so any school that uses that as an excuse is just hurting themselves.
the SWAC usually leads the nation in FCS football attendance so tons is getting raised through ticket sales alone so they are generating good money so others are do more with MUCH MUCH less.
I would be happy to play JSU again in some ball. I'd like a road trip to Florida. I have a good friend that lives just down the road in Lake City.McNeese owes you one from our last meeting when you was in the conference before moving to the Ohio :D
We have Grambling and Southern in state. Grambling is always a good people to play but I don't think they want to play anymore. probably like the Northwestern match up better. Southern still owes us a home game from 2005 that I think is supposed to be FINALLY played next year but we will wait and see so I doubt any long standing home and home will come from those 2.