PDA

View Full Version : Former Bison player charged with drug possession with intent to deliver

gt_bison
May 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Well, the Bison Football program is now seeing some of the negative things that come with big-time athletics. Jordan Shultenover's dismissal from the team was noted here (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59224). Yesterday, he was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver, as The Forum reports (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/241145/).

As an alum and a fan, I hate to see situations like this happen. This kid had a good future with the program, and he threw it away. However, Coach Bohl's response of dismissing him before criminal charges were even filed is a good sign. I seem to recall instances where coaches (especially in FBS) have waited until well after charges were filed even on very clear-cut cases like this one before dismissing players. Hopefully the coach's actions will make it clear to the remaining players and future recruits that this is not going to be tolerated.

And now, all of us in Bisonville prepare for the public flogging that will ensue.

darell1976
May 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Is there going to be a team left??

Gil Dobie
May 20th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Is there going to be a team left??

Hopefully a better team, that wants to play more than they want to party.

NoCoDanny
May 20th, 2009, 08:59 PM
It was bound to happen in N. Dakota considering it borders Montana.

gt_bison
May 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM
It was bound to happen in N. Dakota considering it borders Montana.

Unfortunately, I don't know that we can blame it on Montana, since there's a lot of rather empty space between Missoula and Fargo. (And before anyone from west of the river jumps on me, I'm from west river, too, and love that empty space for what it is. I just don't think it's capable of quietly transferring criminal tendencies from the Griz.)

Hoyadestroya85
May 20th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Geez, your program is really on a roll.. Hopefully your coach has done a good job sifting out the bad eggs in the basket.

uofmman1122
May 21st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Unfortunately, I don't know that we can blame it on Montana, since there's a lot of rather empty space between Missoula and Fargo. (And before anyone from west of the river jumps on me, I'm from west river, too, and love that empty space for what it is. I just don't think it's capable of quietly transferring criminal tendencies from the Griz.)xoopsx

You sound like you're actually taking that Griz criminal theory somewhat seriously...

gt_bison
May 21st, 2009, 08:28 AM
xoopsx

You sound like you're actually taking that Griz criminal theory somewhat seriously...

Doesn't everyone? ;)

Gil Dobie
May 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM
Geez, your program is really on a roll.. Hopefully your coach has done a good job sifting out the bad eggs in the basket.

He was same player kicked off the team a few weeks back, not a new problem.

Bill Hanson
May 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
hahaha. Serves your program right for all the HOLIER THAN THOU talk you have been spewing all over the board last year.

Gil Dobie
May 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
hahaha. Serves your program right for all the HOLIER THAN THOU talk you have been spewing all over the board last year.

Last year we were 6-5, not quite holier than thou. :(

Do you have links to show me what the heck you are talking about xconfusedx

89Hen
May 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Last year we were 6-5, not quite holier than thou. :(

Do you have links to show me what the heck you are talking about xconfusedx
How could he? He only joined in Feb of this year. xeyebrowx

Bill Hanson
May 21st, 2009, 02:39 PM
How could he? He only joined in Feb of this year. xeyebrowx

I have been reading for 2+ years. Last time I checked one is still able to read the football discussion page. Maybe that has changed since I joined AnyGivenSaturday.com.

Gil Dobie
May 21st, 2009, 02:44 PM
I have been reading for 2+ years. Last time I checked one is still able to read the football discussion page. Maybe that has changed since I joined AnyGivenSaturday.com.

If the post exist, they are could be available

Bill Hanson
May 21st, 2009, 02:47 PM
If the post exist, they are could be available

There is a 3 year gap in posts available via the Search function.

89Hen
May 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
I have been reading for 2+ years.
Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second.

Bill Hanson
May 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM
Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second.

If that is what you believe than fine, but it is not correct.

89Hen
May 21st, 2009, 02:55 PM
If that is what you believe than fine, but it is not correct.
FWIW, I know I am not alone in my belief.

Bill Hanson
May 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM
FWIW, I know I am not alone in my belief.

OK whatever.

Back on topic. Hope NDSU is done with the problems, it is not good for any institution to have these kinds of issues, but it has been a nice for the fans to remember not to throw stones when they might live in glass houses.

Gil Dobie
May 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM
Here's a posting on the Bison Media Blog. Hopefully changes are made for the positive.

Hallstrom Link (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/)

UGLY with a capital U. That's how today's news looks for NDSU. No way to sugarcoat, spin, launder, or disinfect it. Assorted thoughts on the deal...

1. Other players on the team obviously knew what was going on. Why didn't somebody go to this kid a couple months ago (or a group of captains/seniors) and demand he get the stuff cleaned up before it got ugly and hurt the entire program? If you care about your team and the program you play for, you sack up and do what needs to be done.

2. They say weed isn't addictive. Maybe so, but it must have some pull on you to make you throw away your senior season when you're going to be showcased for NFL scouts.

3. The police warrant says the smell of pot was detected by people in the building. How dumb can you be?

4. The apparatus, etc. was left lying all around the apartment in plain sight. Again, how dumb can you be?

5. Ramon Humber knew he was going to get NFL looks. This is exactly what you want to do to help your chances -- live with a drug dealer and use his bongs.

6. With a player on the team dealing in that part of town, you have to wonder if he was selling to any high school kids (since there is a high school right across the street.)

7. Craig Bohl has many decisions to make here in the near future. He needs to decide how he wants to handle this publicly. At some point he needs to be direct and honest with how he feels, and what he'll do to try to make sure this doesn't happen again. You do not want the reputation of being a program that houses drug dealers.

8. He also needs to decide how his recruiting philosophy may change. You can't stop recruiting in major urban areas, yet you'd better know what kind of environment many of those kids have grown up in.

9. This is a good wakeup call for all schools in this area. Of course the shots will come out at Bohl and NDSU, but scenes like this are playing out just about everywhere.

10. Back in the old days when the coaches were at the BSA all the time, the players were right under their noses for weights, classes, etc. Now that they've moved the offices over to the dome, it's gotta be harder to keep a healthy eye on the kids or just keep their fingers on that pulse. And with so many new assistants, maybe they've lost just a bit of the old rapport with the players that they used to have. This is probably a small thing, but maybe all the small things add up at a time like this.

JayJ79
May 21st, 2009, 09:44 PM
personally, I consider this a less-severe offense than a DUI/OWI

jmufan999
May 22nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
hahahahahahahahaha "intent to deliver". that's funny.

what is he, UPS?

darell1976
May 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM
hahahahahahahahaha "intent to deliver". that's funny.

what is he, UPS?

What can Brown (or Green and Gold) do for you.xlolx