PDA

View Full Version : Will UTSA Ever Play Southland Football

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Here's a little bit from the most recent edition of Down South, which is about the growth of the Southland Conference from within - namely the addition of Lamar and more of note for this conversation, UTSA.

Read below and pull from it what you want - but do you think that UTSA will ever play down of Southland football?

UTSA does raise some questions upon its entrance into the league.

Commissioner Burnett is on record stating that he is not interested in having a school use the conference as a stepping stone, by making a short stop in the league on its way to FBS.

In 2006, he stated in the San Antonio Express-News, “I don’t know what interest we would have in (a program) being in our conference a few years on their way to I-A.”

Kyle Stephens, the sports information director at UTSA, informed me that the Roadrunners will play two seasons of independent ball before joining the SLC in 2013. Despite this planned start date, the school, according to the conference, has not yet requested to be placed on league schedule.

Down South: http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/05/13/csn-down-south-the-growth-within?blog=5#more4935

Other UTSA threads...

Football at UTSA by 2010? (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17323)

Ex Miami coach Larry Coker eyes new UTSA program: (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56145)

UTSA Approved for Football (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54536)

centexguy
May 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I think UTSA is holding out for an invite to a FBS conference before it commits to the SLC, especially since UTSA stated publicly it wants to go FBS. Since Texas State has also publicly said they want to go FBS, it makes you wonder if they are both working behind the scenes to get into some FBS conference, although at the moment there's not many options for them.

UTSA, Texas State and Lamar are using new student fees for their football programs and for upgrading their facilities. Would they be doing so just to stay in the SLC? With so few FCS non-conference teams in the region (except for the SWAC), maybe it does make sense to go FBS. They'll be playing a FBS game or two a year anyway, why not go FBS and get some return games too? Of course, wanting to go FBS doesn't mean they can or will go FBS. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I think UTSA is holding out for an invite to a FBS conference before it commits to the SLC, especially since UTSA stated publicly it wants to go FBS. Since Texas State has also publicly said they want to go FBS, it makes you wonder if they are both working behind the scenes to get into some FBS conference, although at the moment there's not many options for them.

Problem is the moratorium. You can hold out for FBS, but do you know if you will be able to move into FBS when the moratorium is lifted? The two schools are in a jam as it relates to that, particularly UTSA. TXST is already in the scheduling fold, but until UTSA puts in an official request to get on the schedules, are they just going to schedule as independents...?

UTSA, Texas State and Lamar are using new student fees for their football programs and for upgrading their facilities. Would they be doing so just to stay in the SLC? With so few FCS non-conference teams in the region (except for the SWAC), maybe it does make sense to go FBS. They'll be playing a FBS game or two a year anyway, why not go FBS and get some return games too? Of course, wanting to go FBS doesn't mean they can or will go FBS. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

SHSU just got a fee increase...and the most valid point is the one that I bolded. Also as I stated before, SHSU won't wait and watch as TXST and Lamar go FBS without them, at least as long as our current President sits watch.

And as it relates to FBS games, if more SLC teams come into the fold - you are looking at four home, four away games. Just need three OOC games a year, which would be relatively easy to find, which is also brushed upon in the story.

chrisattsu
May 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I suspect that they are holding out to see what the moratorium brings. Doesn't it expire in 2010? If so, there is no reason for them to commit to a schedule especially if all of the pieces are in place for them to move to an FBS conference.

They know that the FCS product is not going to sell in the San Antonio market. Their aspirations are to compete against the likes of Houston, SMU, and the rest of Conference USA.

JSU02
May 18th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I suspect that they are holding out to see what the moratorium brings. Doesn't it expire in 2010? If so, there is no reason for them to commit to a schedule especially if all of the pieces are in place for them to move to an FBS conference. .

Looks like it expires August 9, 2011.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=3384

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Looks like it expires August 9, 2011.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=3384

Which would put UTSA in a bind for 2013. You can't expect to schedule a whole 2013 slate (and 2014) that late - especially if you are looking for teams during the "conference season". I would assume the SLC will begin working on 2013, 14 schedules next year.

For those curious, Tx St is a part of the schedulees through 2012.

centexguy
May 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I suspect that they are holding out to see what the moratorium brings. Doesn't it expire in 2010? If so, there is no reason for them to commit to a schedule especially if all of the pieces are in place for them to move to an FBS conference.

They know that the FCS product is not going to sell in the San Antonio market. Their aspirations are to compete against the likes of Houston, SMU, and the rest of Conference USA.

I don't think the FCS product sells that well in any part of Texas, but being FBS doesn't guarantee big crowds either. I think UTSA would draw decent home crowds against CUSA teams, but so would Texas State, Lamar and Sam Houston. I guess UTSA is banking on the fact that they the only D1 school in San Antonio to get them in some FBS conference.

slycat
May 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Will Lamar and SHSU be able to have the attendance requirements to move up? Texas St will struggle to make the 15,000 mark and they outdraw SHSU. I can't imagine Lamar pulling a huge crowd in Beaumont.

Also I doubt there is room in FBS for all 4. Heck theres really not room for UTSA and Texas St. A major split or new conference would have to form and no one will want to be apart of that new conference if it includes 4 SLC teams. Plus then no bball bid.

But at this time it seems teams will move up in this order:
Texas St
UTSA
Lamar
SHSU?

BEAR
May 18th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I think the attendance requires "sold tickets" not actual butts in seats. xthumbsupx xlolx

txstatebobcat
May 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I don't think the FCS product sells that well in any part of Texas, but being FBS doesn't guarantee big crowds either. I think UTSA would draw decent home crowds against CUSA teams, but so would Texas State, Lamar and Sam Houston. I guess UTSA is banking on the fact that they the only D1 school in San Antonio to get them in some FBS conference.

I think that it is hard to say one way or another whether FCS is well accepted in Texas. With only exceptions (TxSt and SHSU both reaching the semis) Texas FCS football has been average at best. If one team ever ran a string of 8 or 9+ win seasons, then we would really know how well FCS football sells. Personally I've always believed that if TxSt went three straight years with 8+ win seasons, a 15,000 avg. would be very easy to believe.

BearsCountry
May 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM
If say Texas State moves on up, couldn't UTSA just take their spot in the scheduling rotation?

catdaddy2402
May 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Also I doubt there is room in FBS for all 4. Heck theres really not room for UTSA and Texas St. A major split or new conference would have to form and no one will want to be apart of that new conference if it includes 4 SLC teams. Plus then no bball bid.

Depends on the conference, and how many teams proceed with moving up when the moratorium ends.

For example, if there aren't any significant changes in the BCS I don't see CUSA splitting....but I can see the Sun Belt splitting into two more geographical friendly conferences....One made up of the Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana schools plus the Southland move ups and one of everybody else, plus some southeastern move ups.

However, if the BCS goes away and the FBS schools institute a playoff system similar to the FCS playoffs you are going to see a ton of movement, even involving some of the current autobid conferences to make the chances better of getting an automatic bid to the playoffs.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM
If say Texas State moves on up, couldn't UTSA just take their spot in the scheduling rotation?

I doubt Texas St-San Marcos goes to FBS and UTSA sticks behind. Could go the other way around with the Bobcats remaining in FCS. They know they can not jump unless they have a conference to go to. Independent is not the way. SLC will not do a ULM (FBS in football, all sports for everything else).

I think that it is hard to say one way or another whether FCS is well accepted in Texas. With only exceptions (TxSt and SHSU both reaching the semis) Texas FCS football has been average at best.

SFA had a nice little run...they are after all, the only team to make the finals. I know you TXST guys typically were done with football in October back then and not paying much attention in November. xwhistlex

JSU02
May 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Depends on the conference, and how many teams proceed with moving up when the moratorium ends.

For example, if there aren't any significant changes in the BCS I don't see CUSA splitting....but I can see the Sun Belt splitting into two more geographical friendly conferences....One made up of the Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana schools plus the Southland move ups and one of everybody else, plus some southeastern move ups.

However, if the BCS goes away and the FBS schools institute a playoff system similar to the FCS playoffs you are going to see a ton of movement, even involving some of the current autobid conferences to make the chances better of getting an automatic bid to the playoffs.

I agree.

The western half made up of:
Ark-LR
Ark St
U-LA-La
U-LA-Mo
UNO
UNT
Denver
TxST
UTSA

and eastern half made up of:
MTSU
t-roy
FAU
FIU
South Ala
WKU
JSU
GA Southern ?
App State ?

Both should be able to keep auto bids since most of each conference would have played together for the appropriate amount of time.

slycat
May 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I think the attendance requires "sold tickets" not actual butts in seats. xthumbsupx xlolx

Of course.

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Both should be able to keep auto bids since most of each conference would have played together for the appropriate amount of time.

Not true. Only one of those two would be able to keep the Sun Belt mantra (and with it, the NCAA windows, auto-bids, etc) and I do not see Denver as part of the equation.

TexasTerror
June 21st, 2009, 09:55 PM
They are going for C-USA...anyone know if this arena got some help from the Legislature?

A new arena could be critical to UTSA’s hopes of eventually joining a Division I-A athletic conference. An aging building built in 1975, UTSA’s current Convocation Center has a capacity of 4,495 for basketball — smaller by at least 500 than any of the 12 venues in Conference USA, UTSA’s informal target destination.

“Nobody’s going to hold us out of Conference USA because we don’t have an adequate baseball stadium,” Parrott said. “But if we don’t have an adequate basketball arena, that probably is a reason to keep us out. (So) the Convocation Center could be a deal-killer.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/local_colleges/UTSA_Northside_discuss_joint_basketball_arena.html

centexguy
June 22nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
I can't see how UTSA could get a school district to split the cost of a $80 to $100 million arena with them, no matter what size that school district is.

BearsCountry
June 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
I can't see how UTSA could get a school district to split the cost of a $80 to $100 million arena with them, no matter what size that school district is.

Umm you live in Texas have you seen some of the facilites that high schools have down there.

chrisattsu
June 22nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
They are going for C-USA...anyone know if this arena got some help from the Legislature?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/local_colleges/UTSA_Northside_discuss_joint_basketball_arena.html

Their talk has always been Conference USA. I just don't see it happening. Teams like Marshall and ECU already complain that they have to make too many trips to Texas. Why would the eastern half of the Conference vote to bring them in?

The UNT fans indicate that SMU is blocking their admission to the confence, why would SMU welcome UTSA, but not UNT?

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
UNT is direct competition to SMU - being that they share the DFW Metroplex. UTSA is a bit of a different situation.

C-USA will split before UTSA joins in anyway with the 'eastern teams' dropping out. Figure we'll see some sort of new league with Marshall, ECU.

chrisattsu
June 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
UNT is direct competition to SMU - being that they share the DFW Metroplex. UTSA is a bit of a different situation.

C-USA will split before UTSA joins in anyway with the 'eastern teams' dropping out. Figure we'll see some sort of new league with Marshall, ECU.

I understand the DMA argument, but they wouldn't fight to keep TCU out
While the legislature named both UNT and UTSA Emerging Research Institutions, UNT has a better academic profile. They have higher admission standards, student retention & graduation rates, produce more PhDs.

If that is the case, who remains in the Old CUSA? The Texas 4 + Tulsa, Tulane?

TexasTerror
June 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
I understand the DMA argument, but they wouldn't fight to keep TCU out

SMU wants to be with TCU. TCU on the otherhand does not want to be with them...

While the legislature named both UNT and UTSA Emerging Research Institutions, UNT has a better academic profile. They have higher admission standards, student retention & graduation rates, produce more PhDs.

UNT also lacks a baseball team and bowl connections while UTSA could potentially sway the Alamo Bowl to become a C-USA bowl.

If that is the case, who remains in the Old CUSA? The Texas 4 + Tulsa, Tulane?

A new C-USA could be...Rice, Houston, SMU, UTEP, Tulane, Tulsa, Southern Miss, South Alabama and a Louisiana school to be named later...?

McTailGator
June 22nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Here's a little bit from the most recent edition of Down South, which is about the growth of the Southland Conference from within - namely the addition of Lamar and more of note for this conversation, UTSA.

Read below and pull from it what you want - but do you think that UTSA will ever play down of Southland football?

Down South: http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/05/13/csn-down-south-the-growth-within?blog=5#more4935

Other UTSA threads...

Football at UTSA by 2010? (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17323)

Ex Miami coach Larry Coker eyes new UTSA program: (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56145)

UTSA Approved for Football (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54536)

We should NOT do them ANY favors, and boot them ASAP

MaximumBobcat
June 22nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
We should NOT do them ANY favors, and boot them ASAP

Care to elaborate why?

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Care to elaborate why?

Maybe he feels that way for the same reasons that the Bobcats should be given the boot in the opinion (and interpretation) of some? The SLC by-law regarding announcing intent to leave the conference...?

I do not think the SLC wants another ULM.

MaximumBobcat
June 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Maybe he feels that way for the same reasons that the Bobcats should be given the boot in the opinion (and interpretation) of some? The SLC by-law regarding announcing intent to leave the conference...?

I do not think the SLC wants another ULM.

I don't really know the history about ULM. Care to explain what they did that was so bad?

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
I don't really know the history about ULM. Care to explain what they did that was so bad?

ULM played football at the FBS level and retained all their other sports in the SLC.

That is the simple history - the league does not want to go back to affiliate members for football (see Jacksonville State and Troy) nor a school that has their hands in two different pots.

Being in FBS arguably was of great benefit to their program - who excelled at several major sports. Baseball in particular and women's hoops as well. Oddly enough, when they went full foot into the Sun Belt, lots of their sports really fell to the wayside. Wonder why... xwhistlex

MaximumBobcat
June 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
ULM played football at the FBS level and retained all their other sports in the SLC.

That is the simple history - the league does not want to go back to affiliate members for football (see Jacksonville State and Troy) nor a school that has their hands in two different pots.

Being in FBS arguably was of great benefit to their program - who excelled at several major sports. Baseball in particular and women's hoops as well. Oddly enough, when they went full foot into the Sun Belt, lots of their sports really fell to the wayside. Wonder why... xwhistlex

OK, but UTSA hasn't talked at all about doing this right?

I just don't understand Mctailgator's or anybody else's rationale for not allowing UTSA into the SLC for football play, even if it's for only a few years. You get another regional FCS team on your schedule. With so many SLC school's STILL scheduling DII's, why would you guys rather have St. Joseph's and Henderson State over UTSA on your schedule?

Until I see some real reasons against, seems like an ego/spite thing to me, but I am still willing to hear any valid reasons against them.

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
OK, but UTSA hasn't talked at all about doing this right?

The SLC would not allow it anyway.

UTSA has continually talked about playing an SLC schedule and has had numerous representatives also talk about moving into FBS within the next few years.

At this point - the Roadrunners have not even filed to be on the 2013 slate, as was reported by College Sporting News.

I just don't understand Mctailgator's or anybody else's rationale for not allowing UTSA into the SLC for football play, even if it's for only a few years. You get another regional FCS team on your schedule. With so many SLC school's STILL scheduling DII's, why would you guys rather have St. Joseph's and Henderson State over UTSA on your schedule?

The commissioner and the league have made it clear. They do not want to have a school in the conference for just a few years and be used as a stepping stone. His quote from 2006...“I don’t know what interest we would have in (a program) being in our conference a few years on their way to I-A.”

SHSU's schedule is actually supposed to be all Div I for the next few years (2010 features WIU, Baylor, Lamar and Gardner-Webb). St. Joseph's (Ind.) was a late addition in wake of Prairie View screwing us over. Do not forget we now have Lamar too, which changes things up.

Until I see some real reasons against, seems like an ego/spite thing to me, but I am still willing to hear any valid reasons against them.

Valid enough - do you really want just a two-year fix from a program? That lends no credibility to the league. Do we really want to look at our league in the same way that we look upon the Great West with all these schools coming and going? There needs to be a breaking point.

bandit
June 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
I just wonder if it makes sense to burn bridges with UTSA. They could be a success at the 1-A level, and might be in position to return favors at some point.

What happens if 10 years down the road, some other Southland schools - Lamar or SHSU for instance - decide to make the move to 1-A. What if UTSA has found a nice conference home and is in position to help - or hinder - their former conference mate from joining as well?

Even if that doesn't happen, what about the possibility of playing UTSA non-conference?

UTSA might be a flop, but if they are successful it seems to me that the Southland schools would be foolish to turn on them now when they might be in position to help the league later. I firmly believe in not burning bridges, you never know when you might need them. Unless there is a good reason....

TexasTerror
June 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I just wonder if it makes sense to burn bridges with UTSA. They could be a success at the 1-A level, and might be in position to return favors at some point.

What happens if 10 years down the road, some other Southland schools - Lamar or SHSU for instance - decide to make the move to 1-A. What if UTSA has found a nice conference home and is in position to help - or hinder - their former conference mate from joining as well?

This all may be a moot point if UTSA decides to not join the conference as a football-playing member. I am relunctant to believe they will, since they have not yet finalized their plans with the league as it relates to the beginning of their conference affiliation. One would think this would be near the top of their list of things to accomplish...

Even if that doesn't happen, what about the possibility of playing UTSA non-conference?

There is no question that the SLC schools will play UTSA in out of conference play, starting in 2011. Just look at the three (if not four) schools that lined up to play Lamar in 2010 - their first year. The Cards have SHSU, McNeese, SLU and perhaps SFA or Nicholls.

msusig
June 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
I hope the SLC schools welcome UTSA with open arms while beating the crap out of them in football and embarrass them every year they are in the FCS.

metrolax
June 23rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
I think that UTSA has set its sights on big-time football. They're the only
show in a city of a million-plus, with a strong area football culture.
They could play in the Alamodome almost immediately.

I believe that Texas State owns the name "Southwest Conference".
I have a strong hunch that once the moratorium is lifted, Texas State
will be contacting its Texas brethren such as UH, Rice, SMU, UTEP,
and even North Texas. And, yes, I believe also that UTSA will be
part of that conversation.

There will be a lot of sentiment in Texas for just such a league. CUSA
is basically a marriage of convenience for would-be independents that
felt they needed to be in a conference. How else can one justify
UTEP and East Carolina being in the same league?

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2009, 07:41 AM
UH will have no part of a league like that. They have this grand vision and are wanting to be in a conference like the Big 12 or SEC. A "Southwest Conference" would be a venture in the wrong direction for the school...

Texas St-San Marcos can contact whomever they want, but especially if UTSA gets this basketball arena situation improved five-fold as they are attempting, this will leave them in the dust...

MaximumBobcat
June 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM
UH will have no part of a league like that. They have this grand vision and are wanting to be in a conference like the Big 12 or SEC. A "Southwest Conference" would be a venture in the wrong direction for the school...

Texas St-San Marcos can contact whomever they want, but especially if UTSA gets this basketball arena situation improved five-fold as they are attempting, this will leave them in the dust...

Most likely won't happen.

The more I think about it, I know everybody says we might need to latch onto UTSA to have a chance of going to FBS, but I think if anything they might need us! No BS.

Once the San Antonio community sees that the UTSA students care more about the Cowboys and Spurs then their own teams, the SA community will lose all interest.

Watching a football game in a ghost town (10% filled Alamodome) will be a HORRIBLE atmosphere. Once the UTSA admin sees in the beginning years that the most attended game at the Alamodome will be the game against Texas State, they will see how beneficial it will be to them to have a close rival with an established program.

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Once the San Antonio community sees that the UTSA students care more about the Cowboys and Spurs then their own teams, the SA community will lose all interest.

How is it any different than the San Marcos community - which has the Spurs, Cowboys and Longhorns...? That community has not supported their teams to its fullest as well and at least in San Antonio, there are more people and would not like San Marcos, be sandwiched within 30 minutes of two FBS programs.

Watching a football game in a ghost town (10% filled Alamodome) will be a HORRIBLE atmosphere. Once the UTSA admin sees in the beginning years that the most attended game at the Alamodome will be the game against Texas State, they will see how beneficial it will be to them to have a close rival with an established program.

I do not see why the game against TXST would not be their biggest attended game if both are FBS. Does not mean each school needs to be in the same conference and of course, UTSA with the Alamodome can bring a more legitimate program with their facility than TXST could with theirs - even in the final stage.

DFW HOYA
June 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Not according to the trademark:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4001:8fj3th.2.11

Casey_Orourke
June 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
How is it any different than the San Marcos community - which has the Spurs, Cowboys and Longhorns...? That community has not supported their teams to its fullest as well and at least in San Antonio, there are more people and would not like San Marcos, be sandwiched within 30 minutes of two FBS programs.
I do not see why the game against TXST would not be their biggest attended game if both are FBS. Does not mean each school needs to be in the same conference and of course, UTSA with the Alamodome can bring a more legitimate program with their facility than TXST could with theirs - even in the final stage.

It is the same problem with Portland State, We have to deal with the fact that thw local "newspaper" The Oregonian, local TV stations and Portlanders in general seem to be more interested in the Potrland Trailblazers, Portland Beavers (AAA baseball), Portland Winterhawks (ice hockey), the upcoming MLS soccer team (probably will be called the Timbers), Oregon Ducks, Oregon State Beavers, Washington Huskies, Washington State Cougars and Seattle Seahawks, while anything positive about Portland State is usually ignored and anything negative is siezed upon.

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM
It is the same problem with Portland State, We have to deal with the fact that thw local "newspaper" The Oregonian, local TV stations and Portlanders in general seem to be more interested in the Potrland Trailblazers, Portland Beavers (AAA baseball), Portland Winterhawks (ice hockey), the upcoming MLS soccer team (probably will be called the Timbers), Oregon Ducks, Oregon State Beavers, Washington Huskies, Washington State Cougars and Seattle Seahawks, while anything positive about Portland State is usually ignored and anything negative is siezed upon.

Exactly...

At least San Antonio is in the major city and not "squeezed" between them as Texas State University - San Marcos is when it comes to Austin one way and San Antonio the other. That's a big crunch!

metrolax
June 24th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I cannot say with all certainty what will be happening with CUSA. It really is
a marriage of convenience of sorts, but at least with the 2 divisions one
can see where a split could occur.

The Western Division of CUSA, with UH, Rice, SMU, UTEP, etc. is already
a "set table" for a new independent league. Its just a matter of adding
the number of schools it needs. I can easily see where Texas State and
UTSA could fit in there.

If you look a little ways past the here and now, and see a longer and bigger
picture, that scenario starts to come into more focus, IMHO.

Retro
June 24th, 2009, 02:11 PM
UTSA needs to take a good hard look at Dallas.. Here's a major city with lot's of college football tradition, yet even with the success of TCU and past success of SMU, those teams along with North Texas still struggle to bring in the gate...

UTSA may be in bigger city than San Marcos, but that will help their cause very little for years to come. They still have to battle the legacy of Texas and Texas A&M to pull in fans..

They are going to end up like UL-L and similar teams regardless of where they end up conference wise if they quickly move to FBS. Same with Texas State..

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM
UTSA needs to take a good hard look at Dallas.. Here's a major city with lot's of college football tradition, yet even with the success of TCU and past success of SMU, those teams along with North Texas still struggle to bring in the gate...

UTSA may be in bigger city than San Marcos, but that will help their cause very little for years to come. They still have to battle the legacy of Texas and Texas A&M to pull in fans..

They are going to end up like UL-L and similar teams regardless of where they end up conference wise if they quickly move to FBS. Same with Texas State..

You bring up valid points...though TCU has often gotten the better situation of the schools in the DFW Metroplex, typically by trying to stay away and "ahead" of them since the demise of the SWAC but, who in your opinion has the better situation of the two - UTSA or TXST?

MaximumBobcat
June 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Because we already have a crowd of anywhere from 10K-15K (and somewhere around 18K for playoff games now) that show up (or would show up if more seats) for home games and a hardcore-enough fanbase of 6-8K that would travel to San Antonio for the game. UTSA has no football fanbase! Their students simply don't care from what I've seen! If they play a normal Southland schedule say in the next few years, they would probably average 8k. Maybe less.

So if you're looking at hoping to have average attendance of high 20's to mid 30's a few years after the jump, both schools have a LOOONG ways to go and are both going to need their fair share of good fortune to accomplish this.

That's why your statements about leaving the Bobcats in the dust was so absurd in my opinion. Talking about the Bobcats struggling (as most institutions do) in their first years in the FBS is fine, but UTSA will have to go through all the same things.

I was talking about in the beginning stages.

Of course if after a few years in FBS, they managed to snag a deal with A&M or UT, then yeah that would definitely outsell the Bobcat games, but that is a LOOOONG ways off.

Just watch, if they sign a deal with TxSt in either their first or second year, it will be the highest attended. I guarantee it!

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Because we already have a crowd of anywhere from 10K-15K (and somewhere around 18K for playoff games now) that show up (or would show up if more seats) for home games and a hardcore-enough fanbase of 6-8K that would travel to San Antonio for the game.

10k-15k. You averaged 11k this past year. I still do not believe it based on previous attendance figures. It is about sustaining attendance. Not every year will see the squad have Barrick Nealy behind center...

UTSA has no football fanbase! Their students simply don't care from what I've seen! If they play a normal Southland schedule say in the next few years, they would probably average 8k. Maybe less.[/quotes]

Says, who? Have they had a football game yet? Have they ever had a football program? No on all accounts. In fact, you really will not know until they begin selling season tickets. One thing is certain, in San Antonio and around the state, UTSA football is already getting more attention that the team in San Marcos, the other upstart in Beaumont and well - all FCS teams in the state. Don't tell LU fan. They're already frustrated about it...

[QUOTE=MaximumBobcat;1361188]So if you're looking at hoping to have average attendance of high 20's to mid 30's a few years after the jump, both schools have a LOOONG ways to go and are both going to need their fair share of good fortune to accomplish this.

That's why your statements about leaving the Bobcats in the dust was so absurd in my opinion. Talking about the Bobcats struggling (as most institutions do) in their first years in the FBS is fine, but UTSA will have to go through all the same things.

I was talking about in the beginning stages.

Of course if after a few years in FBS, they managed to snag a deal with A&M or UT, then yeah that would definitely outsell the Bobcat games, but that is a LOOOONG ways off.

UTSA will be able to sign those deals the second they go FBS. If South Alabama can get 2-for-1 and home-and-home with BCS programs, it would not surprise me if UTSA is able to get home-and-homes with some impressive FBS programs from BCS conferences. Just think of some of the home-and-homes that UCF has been getting. People will want to come to Texas to play, they'll want to play in a professional facility. UTSA offers both, TXST - just one.

Just watch, if they sign a deal with TxSt in either their first or second year, it will be the highest attended. I guarantee it!

I do not doubt that. It will be their highest attended for a short while. We'll just have to wait and see. What happens if three years from now we're talking about the fact that UTSA has sold 20k season tickets and Bobcat Stadium is still at 16-17k seats...?

Everything will make itself clear. UTSA is clearly a program on the rise. If they get the arena and some of the other things being discussed both publicly and privately, wow...UTSA on one side, Texas on the other. It will be tough for TXST to deal with such a crunch. They'll be hard-pressed to compete for the corporate support with that...

BearsCountry
June 24th, 2009, 07:11 PM

If SMU was winning like TCU is they would be the talk of Dallas. They would be all over the Dallas media and would sell out Ford Stadium in a heart beat.

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2009, 07:23 PM
If SMU was winning like TCU is they would be the talk of Dallas. They would be all over the Dallas media and would sell out Ford Stadium in a heart beat.

If SMU had not suffered the death penalty and had their program decimated like that, things would potentially be a lot different today...

BearsCountry
June 24th, 2009, 09:33 PM
If SMU had not suffered the death penalty and had their program decimated like that, things would potentially be a lot different today...

Very true. SMU is the school for the elite in Dallas, if they start winning again watch out. Heck look what they shelled out for June Jones.

MaximumBobcat
June 25th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Says, who? Have they had a football game yet? Have they ever had a football program? No on all accounts. In fact, you really will not know until they begin selling season tickets. One thing is certain, in San Antonio and around the state, UTSA football is already getting more attention that the team in San Marcos, the other upstart in Beaumont and well - all FCS teams in the state. Don't tell LU fan. They're already frustrated about it...

lol, I am glad I threw the hypothetical stuff like utsa averaging 8k in my last post because it's the the same crap you post out on the net about utsa and txst's moves to fbs, just the reverse opposite. i've been telling you for ages that we should just let this play out and stop making dumb statements like one team leaving the other "in the dust". glad to see you're finally agreeing on this one TT. :D:D:D

I do not doubt that. It will be their highest attended for a short while. We'll just have to wait and see. What happens if three years from now we're talking about the fact that UTSA has sold 20k season tickets and Bobcat Stadium is still at 16-17k seats...?

Everything will make itself clear. UTSA is clearly a program on the rise. If they get the arena and some of the other things being discussed both publicly and privately, wow...UTSA on one side, Texas on the other. It will be tough for TXST to deal with such a crunch. They'll be hard-pressed to compete for the corporate support with that...

UTSA would have to be doing extremely well on the field to sell 20K season tickets. Will they be able to pull it off...who knows? I wonder if Coker wasn't the right man for the job though. Check this article. Coker picked up his recruits at Miami based on Rivals Star Rankings.... xlolx

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2009/06/22/youd-probably-do-the-same-thing/

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2009, 07:47 AM
lol, I am glad I threw the hypothetical stuff like utsa averaging 8k in my last post because it's the the same crap you post out on the net about utsa and txst's moves to fbs, just the reverse opposite. i've been telling you for ages that we should just let this play out and stop making dumb statements like one team leaving the other "in the dust". glad to see you're finally agreeing on this one TT. :D:D:D

Yes - but if certain things fall into place (as UTSA seems to be lining up), it will be hard to deny that UTSA is moving forward at a quicker pace than TXST. I believe getting that arena would be a very huge step towards FBS...and if their season ticket drive pays off to the tune of 20k plus - BAM!

And of course, there is no denying the issue that San Marcos squished between Austin and San Antonio. Does not seem like it will bold well for raising corporate dollars or getting proper media attention in either market - two big aspects of making the move to FBS. That seemed to be ignored. ;)

UTSA would have to be doing extremely well on the field to sell 20K season tickets. Will they be able to pull it off...who knows?

See ODU's ticket sales? They sold, what - 16, 17k season tickets before getting on the field. If UTSA does this right, they will be in a similar situation. I can not imagine them not doing a huge season ticket drive.

centexguy
June 25th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I live in Austin and they only talk about UT on the tv and radio. Every now and then they'll mention Texas State but not very often. UTSA should get a lot more attention in San Antonio than Texas State does in Austin.

ODU's season ticket sales are pretty amazing considering they are restarting football and are not talking FBS. Texas State has been talking about moving up to FBS for a few years but their season ticket sales are still around 3000 or so. It'll be interesting to see how well UTSA does. I'm guessing that Texas State will be relying mostly on student fees to fund their drive to the FBS. UTSA is also using student fees, but they are also working with the local governments and school districts to help build up their facilities (and being part of the UT system doesn't hurt either).

As a Lamar fan but it really doesn't bother me that Texas State and UTSA want to go FBS. Since Lamar doesn't have the large enrollment to fund a move to FBS, they'll have to rely on ticket sales and community support if they want to go FBS. If they do have as well with ticket sales as ODU then I'll be happy.

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I'm guessing that Texas State will be relying mostly on student fees to fund their drive to the FBS. UTSA is also using student fees, but they are also working with the local governments and school districts to help build up their facilities (and being part of the UT system doesn't hurt either).

And herein lies the difference between what I think will happen with UTSA and what happens with TXST. xthumbsupx

chrisattsu
June 25th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Yes - but if certain things fall into place (as UTSA seems to be lining up), it will be hard to deny that UTSA is moving forward at a quicker pace than TXST. I believe getting that arena would be a very huge step towards FBS...and if their season ticket drive pays off to the tune of 20k plus - BAM!

And of course, there is no denying the issue that San Marcos squished between Austin and San Antonio. Does not seem like it will bold well for raising corporate dollars or getting proper media attention in either market - two big aspects of making the move to FBS. That seemed to be ignored. ;)

See ODU's ticket sales? They sold, what - 16, 17k season tickets before getting on the field. If UTSA does this right, they will be in a similar situation. I can not imagine them not doing a huge season ticket drive.

UTSA football is buzzing around the city. I have friends that went there, and are already looking to purchase jerseys and tickets for the first season. They will average a good attendance during the first season, but once the novelty has worn off (especially if they do not win games) they will drop back down.

The dome is a double edged sword. Sure it is not 'on campus', but anyone who has ever been to an Alamobowl knows that its location to downtown and the riverwalk is great. Locals are familiar with the location, VIA busroutes already stop there, and it is not any different than driving across town for a Spurs, Rampage, or Missions game across town.

It would look impressive if it was full, but it will be pretty lackluster with anything under 20,000 within its walls. Plus after attending a number of events there, I just can't see it being an enjoyable venue for football. That sport is meant to be played outside. I think I would get sick of watching all of my games in that sterile
box. The only leg up that this stadium has to an on campus is they will have the ability to sell beer to the fanbase throughout the game.

GA St. MBB Fan
June 29th, 2009, 10:33 AM
A new C-USA could be...Rice, Houston, SMU, UTEP, Tulane, Tulsa, Southern Miss, South Alabama and a Louisiana school to be named later...?

Perhaps Lousiania Tech? Which is currently in the geographically awkward WAC?

I think that UTSA has set its sights on big-time football. They're the only
show in a city of a million-plus, with a strong area football culture.
They could play in the Alamodome almost immediately.

There will be a lot of sentiment in Texas for just such a league. CUSA
is basically a marriage of convenience for would-be independents that
felt they needed to be in a conference. How else can one justify
UTEP and East Carolina being in the same league?

Even if it isn't called the "Southwest Conference" per se, this is interesting. If the TX schools leave C-USA - to form another conference with other TX schools - then that could open the door for four new memberships in C-USA.

Maybe Charlotte makes a return to C-USA? Add in Georgia State and Georgia Southern? And maybe Louisiana Tech?

Just a thought.

TexasTerror
August 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
From their "guide"...they still have not submitted a request to be on the SLC schedules in 2013 and are apparently searching for an FBS invitation. How long can they wait? And will the SLC let them in if they are so clear in this?

Fall 2013
Play Southland Conference schedule or pursue NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) invitation

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13100&ATCLID=204774918