PDA

View Full Version : Wagner football players will save lives by donating bone marrow

Seahawks Fan
May 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Last month the Wagner College football team hosted a Bone Marrow Donor Registration program on Staten Island. As it turns out, two of the Seahawks are matches for leukemia patients. Good job by the Seahawks!

Wagner football players Abdul, Nelson will save lives by donating bone marrow

by Jack Minogue
Staten Island Advance
Saturday May 16, 2009, 8:45 AM

Wagner College football will have to make a first-time notation after Patrick Abdul's and Dustin Nelson's names when it puts together its press guide for the upcoming season.

Abdul, a returning starter at defensive end, and Nelson, a quarterback-turned-tight-end, will have assumed much more significant roles before camp opens in August: Life savers.

As a result of Wagner football's first participation in the National Marrow Donor Program last year, both have been found to be donor matches, and next month will offer themselves in an attempt to save the lives of two children afflicted with leukemia.

http://www.silive.com/sports/advanceonsports/index.ssf/2009/05/wagner_football_players_to_don.html

aceinthehole
May 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
A great story!

Seawolf97
May 16th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Really a great story and a noble gesturexthumbsupx

401ks
May 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
The absolute best!

xthumbsupx

slostang
May 16th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Great story. Way to go Mr. Abdul and Nelson.

Hoyadestroya85
May 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Andy Talley should win some serious award for this program.. like an honor from the president or something. The number of people who have been tested as a result of this program has got to be in the thousands and pretty soon it will be all over the country. Kudos to Coach T and these fine football players from Wagner!

dgreco
May 16th, 2009, 08:47 PM
very cool story

Head Cat
May 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Incredible that they found matches just a couple of weeks after Wagner held its screenings.

eaglewraith
May 16th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I have to give kudos to these guys for doing this. I had a bone marrow test not too long ago and I have to say as a young guy, you have strong bones which makes it pretty damn painful. Nice to see things like this going on in sports today, instead of what we normally hear about.

Head Cat
May 17th, 2009, 12:21 AM
The screening test (which I did last year at Villanova) actually consists slowly of a cheek swab to find out your DNA. You don't have to do the bone marrow collection unless someone is a match and you agree to be a donor. The test takes a few minutes. Every school in FCS should do this. It is a great program.

seahawkfan2007
May 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Proud to be a Seahawk Fan. Good job men!

aceinthehole
May 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Again, congrats for all those players involved! On a side note, with the realtionship between Hamline and Talley, would we ever see a 'Nova-Wagner matchup in a few years?

I think we've seen Wagner turn the corner in scheduling this year. They took a game with Delaware State (even though the Hornets backed out). They then agreed to fly out to NDSU for a $$$ game. They have a 2-year deal with Cornell.

This would be great for Wagner and the NEC!