PDA

View Full Version : SLC Prediction of Finish for 2009...?

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2009, 01:37 PM
If you had to rank the SLC schools in order of their predicted finish at this point - based on what you know now - how would you rank them? Keep in mind the recent transfers to SLC schools (i.e Wolfe to NWST) and those expected soon (i.e Joseph to SHSU).

SLC schools...

McNeese State
Texas State
Southeastern Louisiana
Central Arkansas
Sam Houston State
Northwestern State
Nicholls State
Stephen F. Austin

BEAR
May 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
SLC schools...

McNeese State
Texas State
Southeastern Louisiana
Central Arkansas
Sam Houston State
Northwestern State
Texas State
Nicholls State
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F. Austin

Go ahead and take the Bears out of the line-up for one more year. It makes more sense that way. Your lineup looks great. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
If they are top in the standings, it's all the same. They have a huge impact on the conference race, just ask TXST - who won the AQ and benefited from wins by UCA over other teams.

Gil Dobie
May 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
If you had to rank the SLC schools in order of their predicted finish at this point - based on what you know now - how would you rank them? Keep in mind the recent transfers to SLC schools (i.e Wolfe to NWST) and those expected soon (i.e Joseph to SHSU).

SLC schools...

McNeese State
Texas State
Southeastern Louisiana
Central Arkansas
Sam Houston State
Northwestern State
Nicholls State
Southeastern Louisiana
Stephen F. Austin

What is the difference between the Southeastern Louisiana teams? xeyebrowx;)

89Hen
May 14th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I will be reading this one intently as I have no idea what to expect out the Southalnd. xreadx

MaximumBobcat
May 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
If they are top in the standings, it's all the same. They have a huge impact on the conference race, just ask TXST - who won the AQ and benefited from wins by UCA over other teams.

Well Texas State or McNeese should be the favorites to win it all. They both return their starting QB and head to head advantage is for TxSt, as we have them at home this season. UCA and SHSU might be darkhorses to win, if they get lucky and find a decent QB. I'll put the rest in no particular order, as they are a crapshoot and it's just likely to get someones panty's in a twist. xrotatehx

Texas State
McNeese State
Central Arkansas
Sam Houston State
Northwestern State
Southeastern Louisiana
Nicholls State
Stephen F. Austin

BEAR
May 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Bigger question for the SLC this year: Will there be any (better) defense?
Scenario: TxSt and McNeese finish first and second, no part. order. Who has the defense to make some noise in the playoffs if 2 teams are allowed?xeyebrowx

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Well Texas State or McNeese should be the favorites to win it all. They both return their starting QB and head to head advantage is for TxSt, as we have them at home this season. UCA and SHSU might be darkhorses to win, if they get lucky and find a decent QB. I'll put the rest in no particular order, as they are a crapshoot and it's just likely to get someones panty's in a twist. xrotatehx

I got TXST at #2 in mine. If I had to go game-by-game and predict, I already have them with two losses at the two schools that give them problems - UCA and Nicholls. Bobcats may start off lower in the standings, but 3 of 4 at home to end. HUGE.

QBs a plenty this year for sure. Last year was a huge year (Bomar, Brown topping the list). However, there's George, Moses and Babin.

Bigger question for the SLC this year: Will there be any (better) defense?

I would hope so. I think that Scott Stoker coming to SHSU will make things better for them. The league definitely has some talented defensive players - particularly at SLU (Connors, Newbill), plus you got Hart (UCA), Knicky/Williams (SFA), Brown (SHSU), among others. Definitely some playmakers.

slycat
May 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM
It'll be a tough race again. Last year had some surprises with many teams having playoff hope in the final two weeks.

McNeese and Texas St seem to be the front runners and will again be helped by a decent UCA throwing out some losses. Texas St returns a potent offense and hopefully the defense will keep showing the improvement they showed late in the 2008 season.

I expect NWST to have a good shot at sneaking in. SFA could make noise but I don't think they have enough talent after Moses to get it done. SHSU is in for a slight rebuilding year after losing some talent, though they may be about the same as last season. I don't know enough about SELA or Nicholls to be fair but SELA seems to be slowly improving and Nicholls always causes headaches.

Texas State
McNeese State
Central Arkansas
Northwestern State
Southeastern Louisiana
Sam Houston State
Stephen F. Austin
Nicholls State

I think this is the first time I've ever picked Texas St first.

McNeese75
May 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM
There are too many unknowns in the McNeese lineup for 2009 to be putting the Cowboys at the top of the conference predictions. There is a nice redshirt freshman class that should play a major role this year. If they produce, it could be special, if not, it could be mediocre. (in short, we need a DEFENSE) ;)

lionsrking2
May 14th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Tough to predict an order of finish at this point, but Texas State should get the nod as pre-season favorites, and I like our chances of pushing our way into the top three. We have a lot of experience coming back at key positions and should be much improved defensively, particularly in the front seven against the run. We've recruited well the last three cycles and this should be the year we start to see it pay off. If the confidence level coming out of spring practice is any indicator, this should be a fun season for Lions fans.

MCFAN
May 15th, 2009, 11:24 AM
If the o-line plays well we have the skill people returning to be potent on offense. Defense, who knows? Other than giving the edge to Texas State to win it, I couldn't guess at an order of finish.

TexasTerror
May 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
TT's Fearless Predictions...

1. TXST (5-2)
2. McNeese (5-2)
3. SLU (4-3)
4. SHSU (4-3)
5. NWST (3-4)
6. UCA (3-4)
7. SFA (2-5)
8. Nicholls (2-5)

BEAR
May 15th, 2009, 01:22 PM

1. TXST (5-2)
2. McNeese (5-2)
3. SLU (4-3)
4. SHSU (4-3)
5. NWST (3-4)
6. UCA (3-4)
7. SFA (2-5)
8. Nicholls (2-5)

Fearless? You're joking! xlolx Alright, I'll put my two cents worth in so it's fair, (You can take your shots at my prediciton)
Team and last years results plus opinion

Central Arkansas 6-1 Touchdown Brown is gone but with an SEC qb and 10th year senior Park back xlolx, the offense isn't as effective but gets the job done. On defense, Hart and other CC transfers have already shown their abilities in the spring. Look out SLC! UCA finishes first or second.

Texas State 5-2 Strong offense leads to many victories, but defense is the question again this year. Especially on the long pass. Losses to UCA and McNeese. Could be first or second.

McNeese State 4-3 Cowboys pick up where they left off but have trouble with chemistry. Losses to UCA, Texas State and maybe Nicholls. Could be second or third.

Northwestern State 4-3- Getting stronger every year but still not enough to reach the top of the heap. Defense wins many games for this team. But offense doesn't carry them to the promise land.

Nicholls State 3-4 I'm thinking more like 4-3. Offense gets on track and defense feeds off it. I know this team is picked near last, but it's my darkhorse for the year. I'll be watching them closely.

Southeastern Louisiana 2-5 I don't know. xlolx

Sam Houston State 2-5 Qb questions. Defense looks good though but we'll have to see if the Kats have it together to win. No more Bomar to drive them down the field. .

Stephen F. Austin 2-5 Great QB but Jacks play the short pass game and defenses can handle that. If they use long ball, watch out SLC!

I'm not an analyst and i'm going off what happened last year and what I think will happen with the new info on the teams. Scrutinize away but don't expect a response if your critical. It's just an opinon from someone way up in Arkansas who doesn't get all the SLC info like the Texas and Louisiana fans do. xcoffeexxlolx

Retro
May 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM
History has shown that teams in the SLC and particular the FCS that do well usually have a strong QB position... That being said......

A new coach at NWST could go a number of ways for them..

Mcneese should have potent Offense , but has lot's of defensive questions..

Texas state has a strong QB like Mcneese, but not has many weapons..

Sam Houston has lot's of questions, especially at QB...

SFA could be the sleeper if they develop some consistancy on both sides of ball..

SELA has too many questions except at QB where they are solid..

Nicholls is always a threat to sneak up from nowhere, but i don't see it this year..

buckp
May 15th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Any way you look at it - SLC provides some great football for fans because there are no guarantees and usually any team can work their way up to the top of the conference. Can't wait for the season to start.... xrotatehx

lionsrking2
May 15th, 2009, 06:17 PM
SELA has too many questions except at QB where they are solid..

Other than we haven't "done it" yet, what are the "too many questions" for the Lions? Other than a lack of experience at cornerback, this should be our best team by far since bringing football back.

TexasTerror
May 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Central Arkansas 6-1 Touchdown Brown is gone but with an SEC qb and 10th year senior Park back xlolx, the offense isn't as effective but gets the job done. On defense, Hart and other CC transfers have already shown their abilities in the spring. Look out SLC! UCA finishes first or second.

I am interested to see how Mr. SEC QB does. I think Hart (my vote for preseason DOFTY) is very strong, but I do not know as much about the JUCO/CC transfers as I do some of other transfers around the league.

Texas State 5-2 Strong offense leads to many victories, but defense is the question again this year. Especially on the long pass. Losses to UCA and McNeese. Could be first or second.

They need to beat UCA this year and they go to Nicholls - which has been a challenge for them. I think they win one of those two challenges. Question is - can they beat SUU on the road? That game could set the tone.

McNeese State 4-3 Cowboys pick up where they left off but have trouble with chemistry. Losses to UCA, Texas State and maybe Nicholls. Could be second or third.

Second or third is about right. They always have such good talent in Lake Chuck.

Northwestern State 4-3- Getting stronger every year but still not enough to reach the top of the heap. Defense wins many games for this team. But offense doesn't carry them to the promise land.

We'll see what the new energy and some of the new players do. New coach!

Nicholls State 3-4 I'm thinking more like 4-3. Offense gets on track and defense feeds off it. I know this team is picked near last, but it's my darkhorse for the year. I'll be watching them closely.

Losing Webb hurts. Lack of assistants, spring training cut short could prevent development. If they don't go 2-2 in OOC, I think we'll know how this will end up.

Brian Babin. Love their defense. They are finally going to shed the darkhorse and be top three in the league!

Sam Houston State 2-5 Qb questions. Defense looks good though but we'll have to see if the Kats have it together to win. No more Bomar to drive them down the field. .

No QB questions. They are over-exaggerated. Blake Joseph is already working out with Kats. We have the best 1-2 RB combination in the league (Poullard, Aston). Kats are going to score some points, especially if the defense holds their own - STOKER!

Stephen F. Austin 2-5 Great QB but Jacks play the short pass game and defenses can handle that. If they use long ball, watch out SLC!

Great QB! Edison is finally gone. Just not sure they are ready for primetime.

I'm not an analyst and i'm going off what happened last year and what I think will happen with the new info on the teams. Scrutinize away but don't expect a response if your critical. It's just an opinon from someone way up in Arkansas who doesn't get all the SLC info like the Texas and Louisiana fans do. xcoffeexxlolx

I think I was nice! ;)

JohnStOnge
May 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I'm wondering how McNeese's offensive line will be. The Cowboys really had a great offensive line last year. I think they won the battle up front against every defensive front they played, including North Carolina. They were dominant and it's kind of a shame their effort was a little bit wasted due to the problems on defense. Anyway, that was an excellent offensive line and I don't know if it'll be possible for McNeese to be that good in that area in 2009. I hope so, but there are some big shoes to fill.

BEAR
May 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM
You were nice TT. xthumbsupxxnodxxlolx Thanks!

griz&beer
May 16th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Didn't Texas Stat lose their QB last year.

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Didn't Texas Stat lose their QB last year.

That's a negative. Bradley George is back.

Biggest loss for TXST was their talented WR Cameron Luke.

katstrapper
May 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM
1. Texas State--Should be preseason favorite, but history is not on their side. Bobcats have talent, but do they have the mentality to get it done? Defense has been their achilles heel like many teams in this league last year.

2. McNeese State--Its McNeese, nuff said. Rich football tradition and rabid fans always carry them during the season.

3. Central Arkansas-- Central Arkansas in the same boat as SHSU. Need a QB. Have the athletes everywhere else. Clint Conque is a better coach than Whitten.
Sam Houston State-- If QB issues are resolved, Kats will compete. O-Line is solid and plenty of talent at skill positions. Defense will be MUCH improved with Stoker now the DC. Tough OOC schedule this year and a subpar head coach will hold this team back.

4. Stephen F. Austin-- SFA is a scary team offensively if they start stretching the field. They could be the team to watch this year. Score lots of points

5. Northwestern State-- New coach will take his lumps this year. Putting in new schemes and new philosophies will probably cause Demons to struggle a bit this year, but Stoker didnt leave the cupboard bare.

6. Southeastern Louisiana-- Coach Lucas better get things in gear or he could be looking for a new job.

7. Nicholls State-- Not up to the minute on Colonel football, but based on last years performance, will probably have a rough ride this fall. Plus, their best defensive player is gone. However, the triple option still gives teams fits.

Of course, everyone that follows the Southland Conference knows that this conference is a dog fight year in and year out. Anybody can win on any given day.

NSUDemon98
May 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM

SLC schools...

McNeese State
Texas State
Southeastern Louisiana
Central Arkansas
Sam Houston State
Northwestern State
Nicholls State
Stephen F. Austin

1. Texas State - SLC co-champs
Northwestern State - SLC co-champs with NSU getting the head-to-head win over Texas State. Bobcats have never played well in Turpin Stadium.
3. Southeastern Louisiana
4. McNeese
5. Sam Houston St.
6. Central Arkansas
7. SFA
8. Nicholls

NSU has a favorable SLC schedule with Texas State, UCA, SLU and SFA at home. Away they have McNeese, Nicholls and Sam Houston. I think this year we break our 20 year losing streak in Lake Charles.

Someone will get their panties in a wad over my predictions but all this is is a wishful way I'd like to see things end up.

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Outside of katstrapper, it seems most have SLU in the top three of the conference. With such a talented QB and an even more talented defense, they could definitely play the role of a top tier team in this league.

What are the Demon fans thinking of the NWST offense with Wolfe in the fold? Also read that a pair of LSU corners may be moving to Natchitoches. What other transfers do you guys have? I can't keep up with you guys - so it is hard to get a good feel for what we'll see.

NSUDemon98
May 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Outside of katstrapper, it seems most have SLU in the top three of the conference. With such a talented QB and an even more talented defense, they could definitely play the role of a top tier team in this league.

What are the Demon fans thinking of the NWST offense with Wolfe in the fold? Also read that a pair of LSU corners may be moving to Natchitoches. What other transfers do you guys have? I can't keep up with you guys - so it is hard to get a good feel for what we'll see.

It's hard for me to get a feel for what we'll see. With practically a new coaching staff...Peveto running the defense and finally a real offensive coord. A solid recruiting class with probably MANY that will see action as a freshmen...one thing that I am VERY confident in is that we will see a MUCH better product on and off the field than we have the past few years.

It's been pretty quiet on the NSU forum regarding transfers. I haven't heard about the kids from LSU. We are pretty pumped about getting the 6'5 QB from Louisville so that finally we will have some competition and depth at the QB position. Something you know we haven't had in several years. I know a couple weeks ago we were getting looked at by Lenard Creer(RB from Tennessee) but reports have him looking at TCU and LaTech.

I will inquire about the cornerback transfers as someone is bound to have heard something.

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I will inquire about the cornerback transfers as someone is bound to have heard something.

Here you go...

There is a good chance that new Northwestern State head coach Bradley Dale Peveto will use his connections to LSU to pick up at least two players. Defensive backs Shomari Clemons from West Monroe and John Williams of Breaux Bridge will likely head north to Natchitoches to reunite with the former co-coordinator of the 2008 Tiger defense.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/sports-blogs/the-sports-mole/134330-north-iberville-closing-lee-high-in-danger.html

lionsrking2
May 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Here you go...

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/sports-blogs/the-sports-mole/134330-north-iberville-closing-lee-high-in-danger.html

Neither are corners...Clemons is a LB and Williams is a WR. Williams tried to play corner but struggled and was moved to WR in the spring. Clemons has been in and out of trouble since he's been at LSU.

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Neither are corners...Clemons is a LB and Williams is a WR. Williams tried to play corner but struggled and was moved to WR in the spring. Clemons has been in and out of trouble since he's been at LSU.

I hardly follow the Tigers. Makes me sick, how obsessed people are with them, especially here in New Orleans, where there are two Div I programs in the city and then the "outliers" (Nicholls, SLU) that get no coverage... xnonox

McNeese75
May 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Fearless? You're joking! xlolx Alright, I'll put my two cents worth in so it's fair, (You can take your shots at my prediciton)
Team and last years results plus opinion

Sounds reasonable but I don't get the "Chemistry" comment about the Pokes. I think the Bruins could have more chemistry questions than McNeese will this year.

BEAR
May 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Sounds reasonable but I don't get the "Chemistry" comment about the Pokes. I think the Bruins could have more chemistry questions than McNeese will this year.

I made that statement because McNeese kind of slid toward the end of last year and I wonder if they will continue the same this year. You're right about chemistry with UCA. That's the big factor for me. If Nathan Dick or Robbie can drive the team down the field at a decent pace, the defense will take care of the rest. What was the reason for McNeese's collapse last year? I don't know so you'll have to fill me in. xconfusedx

McNeese75
May 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I made that statement because McNeese kind of slid toward the end of last year and I wonder if they will continue the same this year. You're right about chemistry with UCA. That's the big factor for me. If Nathan Dick or Robbie can drive the team down the field at a decent pace, the defense will take care of the rest. What was the reason for McNeese's collapse last year? I don't know so you'll have to fill me in. xconfusedx

xlolx Not sure I can make up enough excuses :D

Thinking back IMO it was mistakes at critical times that were the major contributors.

Two fumbles against Tx State inside the 5 yard line.
Nicholls game was just sloppy.
Fumble by Whitehead inside the 10 yard line in Conway. (of course we don't win a 3 OT game in Brookings without his goal line catch)
etc

These are not excuses, the opposing defense obviously played a part in those mistakes but they were definite momentum changers.

Seat16Demon
May 26th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Well, we have a couple of JUCO guys coming from California (#2 JUCO center and another OL); we also have a WR coming from Colorado. I'll let you know as I hear more.

GeauxLions94
May 27th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I hardly follow the Tigers. Makes me sick, how obsessed people are with them, especially here in New Orleans, where there are two Div I programs in the city and then the "outliers" (Nicholls, SLU) that get no coverage... xnonox

You don't have to tell me twice about lack of coverage from the New Orleans Times Pic-Your-Nose on SLU, Nicholls, UNO and on occasion Tulane. That paper isn't even worth using at the bottom of a bird cage xnonono2x.

TexasTerror
May 27th, 2009, 08:08 AM
You don't have to tell me twice about lack of coverage from the New Orleans Times Pic-Your-Nose on SLU, Nicholls, UNO and on occasion Tulane. That paper isn't even worth using at the bottom of a bird cage xnonono2x.

Is SLU or Nicholls going to even get coverage of their home football games this coming year? I am sure they can spare one of the two writers they send to LSU or Tulane to do it... xreadx

Cat79
May 31st, 2009, 01:28 PM
I am predicting the following order for the SLC:

Northwestern State-New Coach and tons of talent coming in via transfer-Watch OUT for this Team-Transfers can change the balance of power in the SLC

McNeese State-Very Talented Team adding Texas A & M players who have started into the mix on Defense

Texas State-Established QB Good Offensive Talent / Defensive Questions Loom

Sam Houston State-Good Talent / Improved Defense / Coach on the hot seat to produce

UCA-Good Talent-Especially on the Defensive side / If offense gells could move to the top

SLU- Established QB / This team has potential as darkhorse

SFA-Talented QB / Need better defense to make it happen

Nicholls State-Down year

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Am I not alone when it comes to the thought that SFA may score 40+ points in every SLC game this year and still possibly lose them all...?

slycat
May 31st, 2009, 03:27 PM
Am I not alone when it comes to the thought that SFA may score 40+ points in every SLC game this year and still possibly lose them all...?

You could probably put most the SLC schools in that boat as well. I expect a lot of shoot outs this season.

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2009, 04:53 PM
You could probably put most the SLC schools in that boat as well. I expect a lot of shoot outs this season.

Nicholls State will have a hard time getting to 40 on the offensive side and teams will have a tough time topping 40 against them if they can execute the option to some degree...

Southeastern Louisiana has two of the better defensive players in the state and I think will have the first or second best defense in the league...

The only reason people voted for UCA in the polls is because of what they have returning on defense (plus in their backfield - running back-wise).

I have a hard time believing Northwestern State (BDP) and Sam Houston State (Stoker) are going to head south compared to last year since there's even greater priority on that side of the ball...

Biggest defensive questions this year in the SLC...Texas State University-San Marcos and Stephen F. Austin.

katstrapper
May 31st, 2009, 07:46 PM
If Kats solve their QB issues early, they could be a contender. O-line returns all but one, the RB position is loaded and with the return of Darnell Jones at receiver, the wideouts will be solid.

Biggest question on defense is secondary as usual, but if Stoker brings his aggresive style of defense every game, Kats will put pressure on opposing offenses. We have plenty of speed at the defensive ends and LB's are GOOD.

Kats will go somewhere if Whitten will pull his head out of his behind. He better produce this year however its my opinion that AD Bobby Williams doesnt have the nads to pull the plug. If Whitten is still around after another subpar season then Williams needs to go!!xcoffeex

McNeese75
May 31st, 2009, 11:22 PM

Northwestern State-New Coach and tons of talent coming in via transfer-Watch OUT for this Team-Transfers can change the balance of power in the SLC

McNeese State-Very Talented Team adding Texas A & M players who have started into the mix on Defense

Sam Houston State-Good Talent / Improved Defense / Coach on the hot seat to produce

UCA-Good Talent-Especially on the Defensive side / If offense gells could move to the top

Nicholls State-Down year

xrolleyesx Your opinion is about as good as anyone else's at this time of the year. I am not sure I agree with you about Northwestern and it remains to be seen how the 5 spring transfers (one of which is already gone) will help McNeese.

crossfire07
May 31st, 2009, 11:27 PM
nobody did a great job of stopping McNeese from moving the ball or putting points up last year. The D just was not able to slow down others just enough to win. In games they lost, the average points they scored was 34 with a low of 27. the biggest thing I had issues with on the D was the secondary and that coach has moved on down the road so I am going to wait and see what happens. I am excited and I have no doubt things will be better this year. I don't think they will show much at the home opener but nothing will get held back in Boone xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Would I maintain this prediction today? Not sure I would. I can see some shuffling as it relates to TXST due to some concerns on the offensive side of the ball (had them before, but now as we get closer to the season, thinking about them more) and possibly moving NWST up the ladder (everyone I talk to can't stop talking about the Demons)

This is what I had...

1. TXST (5-2)
2. McNeese (5-2)
3. SLU (4-3)
4. SHSU (4-3)
5. NWST (3-4)
6. UCA (3-4)
7. SFA (2-5)
8. Nicholls (2-5)

txstatebobcat
August 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I've lurked at all the SLC forums trying to get a feel for the other teams and if anything, everything is murkier. Maybe around the third week we will finally see how things shape up. As of right now, I can see how seven out eight teams can be legit contenders for the SLC crown. With that said here are my predictions.

TxSt - My opinion is contrary to what Texas Terror thinks, the more I think about it, the more solid this offense looks. I say this mainly because we have the best O-line that I've ever seen wear a TxSt uniform returning. Using that as a foundation, it will be easy to say that George will have plenty of time to find his receivers and Bush will easily have a 1,500+ yard/season with 2,000+ not being out of the question. Added depth at both interior D-line and DB (redshirt freshmen coming up) will shore up a defense that went from "the worst I've ever seen (at the beginning of last year to merely a "bad defense" at the end. Don't get me wrong, I think this will be a slightly below average defense. Which, when combined with our offense will be good enough to put us solidly in first place. One other thing: TxSt was never a good road team until last year. Coach Wright has changed that and now I will never see road games as automatic losses like I used to.

Sam Houston - The addition of the transfer QB really makes me upgrade their chances. They do have one of the best RB combos in the SLC and will see vast improvements on the defensive side of the ball with the former NSU coach being the DC. Also their coach is very much in the hot seat, he needs to win otherwise its back to the ranks of assistant coaches at some D-II school for him.

SLU - I put UCA in the same category. They will have both a decent offense and a good defense returning. With SLU however, I see improvements in both sides of the ball.

UCA - A rare combo in the SLC in which they will have a decent offense and a good defense. While I think their offense will be good, I still don't see how it how it will be anywhere near as good as last year. The will have the best returning defense in the SLC, however the more I think about it the more I see improvements in defense across the board in the SLC which will somewhat negate the importance of any improvements on this side of the ball.

McNeese - They will have fantastic skill players on the offensive side of the ball, O-line on the other hand will be, on paper at least, a huge downgrade from last year. This coupled with my belief that SLC defenses will see an upgrade from last year, leads me to believe that they will have a harder time than last year moving the ball.

Northwestern St - I said it last time and I'll say it again. Their out of conference schedule will take a lot out of them. They do have a lot of talent, but I just don't see it happening this season. Next year though things will get exiting.

SFA - Biggest mystery in the SLC IMO. They return the most players from last year. However that team sucked. Their offense should be even better than last year, and their defense should also be improved, but some team has to be a cellar dweller.

Nicholls State - Should be better than last year, but even then I don't see it happening.

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Would I maintain this prediction today? Not sure I would. I can see some shuffling as it relates to TXST due to some concerns on the offensive side of the ball (had them before, but now as we get closer to the season, thinking about them more) and possibly moving NWST up the ladder (everyone I talk to can't stop talking about the Demons)

This is what I had...

hmmmm...let's see.

QB--George, top 10 in FCS in Passing Efficiency

RB--(Bush) Third-Team All-American, Arguably the best RB in the league (with the guy from McNeese), avg. 8 yrds/carry and a Kick Returner; Canady--a damn good backup

WR--Young but VERY gifted. Return everyone but Luke. Good combo of speed and size.

TE--More athletic in this position. More of a receiving threat now.

OL--Very experienced...very good

So, what exactly is your question? Maybe you meant defense instead of offense...

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM
No, I do question the offense...

As a fan on your board said, maybe the inability of the offense to move the ball is more a sign of a good defense for the Bobcats this year. We'll see.

Knowing the Bobcats, they'll fool us all. They're going to squeak one out against Angelo State and they'll struggle against TCU. Probably will put up their typical performance against Southern Utah, which will lead fans to get the pitchforks ready and Texas Southern will let them work out their kinks.

We won't know for sure what to expect until SLC play begins.

89Hen
November 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I will be reading this one intently as I have no idea what to expect out the Southalnd. xreadx
Remind me next year not to listen to any of you guys. :p

Texas State
McNeese State
Central Arkansas
Sam Houston State
Northwestern State
Southeastern Louisiana
Nicholls State
Stephen F. Austin

Texas State
McNeese State
Central Arkansas
Northwestern State
Southeastern Louisiana
Sam Houston State
Stephen F. Austin
Nicholls State

1. TXST (5-2)
2. McNeese (5-2)
3. SLU (4-3)
4. SHSU (4-3)
5. NWST (3-4)
6. UCA (3-4)
7. SFA (2-5)
8. Nicholls (2-5)

1. Texas State - SLC co-champs
Northwestern State - SLC co-champs with NSU getting the head-to-head win over Texas State. Bobcats have never played well in Turpin Stadium.
3. Southeastern Louisiana
4. McNeese
5. Sam Houston St.
6. Central Arkansas
7. SFA
8. Nicholls

Nicholls State-Down year

SFA - Biggest mystery in the SLC IMO. They return the most players from last year. However that team sucked. Their offense should be even better than last year, and their defense should also be improved, but some team has to be a cellar dweller.

MaximumBobcat
November 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hey in my defense if you read my post I only ranked the top 4.

:o

MSU_77
November 17th, 2009, 03:29 PM
With all the talent they returned this season, a couple folks whose opinion I respect were predicting NWST to be on top, with Tx State a close second and McNeese 3rd or 4th. So, what changed at NW this year? Oh yeah, the coach! Stoker's not looking so bad now, is he? SFA seemed to come out of nowhere, but if you think about it, they really didn't. Once they assembled a respectable defense, which they did this year, they were bound to be heard from.

DG Cowboy
November 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Well, Old Hen, next year we'll see if SFA has really turned the corner, or if even a blind squirrel can find an acorn now and then. I like J.C. Harper so I hope they are back. Makes the SLC more interesting!!

TexasTerror
November 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Let's revisit this thread after next week's games for the 'final verdict' on the situation.

Looks like we penned Nicholls in the right spot and all bought into the annual hype that is Northwestern State. I'm absolutely done with that going forward. And this is across all sports, since they have hyped some of their lesser sports as well...