PDA

View Full Version : DSU forfeits game with NC A&T

bonarae
May 14th, 2009, 02:38 AM
NC A&T has made it official that the game between them and Delaware State on Oct. 17 is no more. A&T is now 1-0 and DSU is 0-1.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9571244/Delaware-St.-forfeits-game-four-months-before-season

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina A&T has already captured its first win of the 2009 season - four months before the opening kickoff.

North Carolina A&T said Wednesday that Delaware State will forfeit their game this season because the two sides couldn't settle on a date to renew the rivalry.

kirkblitz
May 14th, 2009, 02:57 AM
wow, i guess you gotta take a win any way you can. HBCU's arnt really good with schedules are they?

appmaj
May 14th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Take the $$$$ and run DSU

andy7171
May 14th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I think DelState leaves for the Big South in a couple years.

89Hen
May 14th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I think DelState leaves for the Big South in a couple years.
May as well. They don't exactly pack them in for MEAC games in Dover. xeyebrowx

This is just stupid BTW. xnutsx

andy7171
May 14th, 2009, 09:09 AM
May as well. They don't exactly pack them in for MEAC games in Dover. xeyebrowx

This is just stupid BTW. xnutsx

How was the crowd when the played Coastal Carolina? I seem to remember there being big crowds when we played them there for some reason.

89Hen
May 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
How was the crowd when the played Coastal Carolina? I seem to remember there being big crowds when we played them there for some reason.
Weak (3200), but so are many of their games. 3200 is the same number for Bethune that same year and they only had 1,985 for the season finale against Howard right before their first trip to the playoffs. Last year they had a game with under 1000. It was a tough season, but still... under 1000? xsmhx

andy7171
May 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Weak (3200), but so are many of their games. 3200 is the same number for Bethune that same year and they only has 1,985 for the season finale against Howard right before their first trip to the playoffs. Last year they had a game with under 1000. It was a tough season, but still... under 1000? xsmhx

Yeah but you have to take into account the field behind the visitor bleacher might have just had manure spread for those games. Not a great game day atmosphere. I speak from experience. xlolx

Syntax Error
May 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah but you have to take into account the field behind the visitor bleacher might have just had manure spread for those games. Not a great game day atmosphere. I speak from experience. xlolxxlmaox

Ivytalk
May 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM
The DSU Stadium offers a great view of...Route 13.xcoolx

andy7171
May 14th, 2009, 11:23 AM
The DSU Stadium offers a great view of...Route 13.xcoolx

Is Rte 13 a scenic byway? :D

Libertine
May 14th, 2009, 11:29 AM
The last time we went up to DSU was in 2000 and it happened to be the same weekend as the NASCAR race in Dover. The nearest available hotel was in Salisbury, MD and the helpstaff picked that week to go on strike and picket the hotel. The racetrack is practically across the street from Memorial Stadium and the roar from the Busch cars drowned out the PA announcer and the small crowd. It got a lot quieter when they stopped the race because it started raining.

And, oh yeah, we were up 25-7 at the half and lost by 17. Fun weekend.

Libertine
May 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Back to the topic at hand, with the impending loss at Michigan will this make DSU the first team to lost two games on the same day?

IaaScribe
May 14th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I can't believe the MEAC is allowing Delaware State to take this course of action. Sets a terrible precedent.

henfan
May 14th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I can't believe the MEAC is allowing Delaware State to take this course of action. Sets a terrible precedent.

Allow it?! Heck, the MEAC head office is to blame. If they had any control over their membership, they could have intervened and come up with a very workable solution to accomodate all sides. Alas, they did seemingly little to resolve it.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 14th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Plenty of blame to go around: DSU, league office, Norfolk State...

danefan
May 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Allow it?! Heck, the MEAC head office is to blame. If they had any control over their membership, they could have intervened and come up with a very workable solution to accomodate all sides. Alas, they did seemingly little to resolve it.

They didn't even have to come up with it themselves. Travis emailed them the easy solution.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1339096&postcount=50

Howard and Morgan State could move their game from October 17 to September 5.

North Carolina A&T moves their game with North Carolina Central from October 3 to October 24, and their game with Howard from October 24 to October 17.

These three moves open October 3 on A&Ts schedule where the Delaware State/North Carolina A&T game can now be played.

Meantime, Howard and Morgan State have gotten away from the dreaded week 1 bye, while North Carolina Central has made some friends in their future conference...

MR. CHICKEN
May 14th, 2009, 08:49 PM
DAT WOODAH REQUIRED CO-OPERATION......FROM FOUR MEAC SCHOOLS....xsmhx....DELAWARE COULDN'T GET RICHMOND'S CO-OPERATION....AN' DEY ARE THOUGHT OF......AS PRESTIGIOUS....xsmhx....FURMAN DUMPED DUH HENS.......FURMAN (USED TA BE) PRESTIGIOUS....xnodx....BRAWK/OBAMA!!

Reign of Terrier
May 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Plenty of blame to go around: DSU, league office, Norfolk State...

...Bush (I kid, I kid)

DEX
May 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM
They didn't even have to come up with it themselves. Travis emailed them the easy solution.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1339096&postcount=50

There were plenty of solutions right in front of our face had the commissioner bothered to get involved. Instead he chose to sit back and watch us implode. xsmhx

hebmskebm
May 14th, 2009, 10:17 PM
http://deadspin.com/5254536/delaware-state-forfeits-conference-game-so-they-can-beat-michigan-instead

3rd Coast Tiger
May 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM
http://deadspin.com/5254536/delaware-state-forfeits-conference-game-so-they-can-beat-michigan-instead

It seems the Wolverines needed another I-AA (sorry, I refuse to yield) patsy to round out their non-conference schedule, so they called the Hornets and slid them into the October 17 slot in Ann Arbor.

xlolx Hey TT, please copy me on the "enlightening" email you're about to send the writer. Thanks! xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
May 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM
MEAC reviews Delaware State's league forfeit to face Michigan (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/meac/2009-05-14-delaware_state_N.htm)

Head Cat
May 15th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Other schools in other conferences help their fellow conference members when situations like this arise. You've got to wonder why North Carolina A&T couldn't be more flexible with Delaware State on this one. It's rather embarrassing for the MEAC to have something like this happen. You would think that Dennis Thomas could get all of the parties together to work something like this out, but that would probably take too much work for him.

kirkblitz
May 15th, 2009, 10:23 PM
the meac and the schools in it are a joke (cept sc state) they dont seem to have a issue fudgen up their schedules in or outside the conf.

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM
This Delaware State forfeiting has brought a great deal of publicity to the school. Some of it bad, some of it good, a good deal of it focusing on the tough economic times that are being faced by colleges (including athletic departments).

The decision is paying off and more in the amount of money that DSU is picking up from Michigan for playing them this year.

nwFL Griz
May 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Other schools in other conferences help their fellow conference members when situations like this arise. You've got to wonder why North Carolina A&T couldn't be more flexible with Delaware State on this one. It's rather embarrassing for the MEAC to have something like this happen. You would think that Dennis Thomas could get all of the parties together to work something like this out, but that would probably take too much work for him.

NC A&T isn't the one being inflexible here. They agreed to move the date of their game with DSU to Nov 14. However Norfolk St would not move their game with DSU to Oct. So, in essence, NSU is the one being inflexible.

Head Cat
May 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM
NC A&T isn't the one being inflexible here. They agreed to move the date of their game with DSU to Nov 14. However Norfolk St would not move their game with DSU to Oct. So, in essence, NSU is the one being inflexible.

That's why the conference needed to step in and take control of this situation. It's the tail wagging the dog.

Syntax Error
May 16th, 2009, 02:24 PM
the meac and the schools in it are a joke (cept sc state) they dont seem to have a issue fudgen up their schedules in or outside the conf.

That's a little strong coming from a CCU fan in the Big South. To accuse them of premptively screwing up their schedule is remarkable.

DEX
May 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM

So says the Big south! xlolx

93henfan
May 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM

Uh oh! One of the commenters came up with a moniker that might stick .xlolx

Sheesh, any team that would sacrifice its conference obligations for a big pay day should be called the Whorenets.

kirkblitz
May 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM
That's a little strong coming from a CCU fan in the Big South. To accuse them of premptively screwing up their schedule is remarkable.my comment is in relation to what was pulled earlier this season by a meac school

http://thesunnews.typepad.com/coastal_carolina/2009/03/football-revises-09-schedule.html

Coastal Carolina finalized its 2009 football schedule on Thursday, utilizing the simplest solution to resolve its scheduling conflict. Coastal will now travel to Towson on Sept. 19, will host N.C. A&T on Sept. 26 and have its bye on Oct. 3, coach David Bennett said.

No other changes were necessary to the schedule Coastal released earlier this month. The conflict was created when N.C. A&T mistakenly double-booked two opponents, Coastal and N.C. Central, for Oct. 3.

Coastal was originally scheduled to meet Towson on Sept. 26, but both teams had byes on Sept. 19 and were able to move their game to that date. That gave Coastal the ability to host N.C. A&T on Sept. 26.

Big Dawg
May 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Good one...xlolx

Proves you don't know what the heck you're talkin about.

kirkblitz
May 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Good one...xlolx

Proves you don't know what the heck you're talkin about.

read the post above yours xrulesx

Big Dawg
May 16th, 2009, 08:19 PM
read the post above yours xrulesx

Read it...now name the OTHER schools in the MEAC who have had scheduling problems during this offseason.

I will say that you are correct when you say that the MEAC, those that run the conference, have no clue.

kirkblitz
May 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I will say that you are correct when you say that the MEAC, those that run the conference, have no clue.

ill settle for that xsmiley_wix

however i do think sc state is the only school in that conf worth anything (best band ever!)

Big Dawg
May 16th, 2009, 08:26 PM
ill settle for that xsmiley_wix

however i do think sc state is the only school in that conf worth anything (best band ever!)

That's a DEFINITE NO!!! The best team AND band in the conference is located in Tallahassee, Florida!!!xnodx

The Marching 101 can't handle the Marching 100...xlolx

DEX
May 16th, 2009, 08:49 PM
my comment is in relation to what was pulled earlier this season by a meac school

http://thesunnews.typepad.com/coastal_carolina/2009/03/football-revises-09-schedule.html

Dude it was a scheduling snafu on our part that was worked out. At some point it happens to every school including CCU.

Punchykky
May 17th, 2009, 12:05 AM
That's why the conference needed to step in and take control of this situation. It's the tail wagging the dog.

Listen. Our Commissioner has already ruled that we(NSU) don't have to adjust our schedule to accomodate DSU. The MEAC schedule has been set years in advance. NSU always schedule out of conference games around the master MEAC schedule, and DSU should have done the same thing. NSU has missed out on lucrative FBS games and paychecks in the past to accomodate the MEAC schedule. Why did we do that? Because we respect the master MEAC schedule.xthumbsupx

Punchykky
May 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM

xrolleyesxYou're callin' the MEAC a joke? When was the last time the Big South won the FCS championship? Please don't be the pot calling the kettle black!xrolleyesx

Head Cat
May 17th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Listen. Our Commissioner has already ruled that we(NSU) don't have to adjust our schedule to accomodate DSU. The MEAC schedule has been set years in advance. NSU always schedule out of conference games around the master MEAC schedule, and DSU should have done the same thing. NSU has missed out on lucrative FBS games and paychecks in the past to accomodate the MEAC schedule. Why did we do that? Because we respect the master MEAC schedule.xthumbsupx
Your commissioner dropped the ball on this one. There is no reason that a conference schedule can't be adjusted. What happens when a new schools comes into a league, like Winston-Salem State? So much for the years in advance thing. What was keeping Norfolk State from helping a fellow conference member? That is what schools in the same conference do. Other conferences help each other with these kind of problems all of the time. What happens the next time Norfolk State gets the chance for a money game? Will the other MEAC schools be there to help the Spartans? What goes around, comes around. Bad Karma all around on this one.

Punchykky
May 17th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Your commissioner dropped the ball on this one. There is no reason that a conference schedule can't be adjusted. What happens when a new schools comes into a league, like Winston-Salem State? So much for the years in advance thing. What was keeping Norfolk State from helping a fellow conference member? That is what schools in the same conference do. Other conferences help each other with these kind of problems all of the time. What happens the next time Norfolk State gets the chance for a money game? Will the other MEAC schools be there to help the Spartans? What goes around, comes around. Bad Karma all around on this one.

xthumbsupxHC, I hear you loud and clear on this issue, and you might have a point. But the fact of the matter is, the MEAC schedule is set years in advance. We always schedule out of conference games around the MEAC schedule, which we feel is obviously set in stone. As I understand it, we have missed out on lucrative FBS games and paydays and other FCS games in the past because of our faithfulness to the MEAC schedule.
And you might be correct; what goes around, come around; there might be a game in our future that might require us to tweak the MEAC schedule, and we won't get what we wish. And maybe our commissioner did drop the ball on this issue. But it is what it is,,,,for now.

By the way, we've already added WSSU to our schedule as the last game of the season, which works out for them as well as us.

Head Cat
May 17th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I don't doubt that the schedule is set years in advance, but to be so inflexible to not allow change is crazy. A lot of conferences make schedules in advance and still change things from year to year, as necessary. A lot of folks around FCS have never been impressed with Thomas on leadership issues and this is just the latest example.

Do you think that this issue will make the Delaware State-Norfolk State more heated this year?

Punchykky
May 17th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I hope so! They've beaten us for the last 6 years! And the last 2 years, we were in the DAMN LEAD till the 4th QUARTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Head Cat
May 17th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I was actually in the stands in Dover for the game in 2007. I thought you had those guys beaten until an injured Shahir McBride to catch the TD pass that turned things around. Saw the 2008 game on TV. Those were heartbreakers, but Pete Adrian has done a great job turning things around at NSU.

P.S. Love your band. Those are some of the coolest band uniforms in college football.

kirkblitz
May 17th, 2009, 04:10 AM
xrolleyesxYou're callin' the MEAC a joke? When was the last time the Big South won the FCS championship? Please don't be the pot calling the kettle black!xrolleyesx

how is that related? you are institutions of learning that supposedly are accredited. You should be able to look at a schedule and see what days are open and what arnt...

thats hbcu education for ya i guess xcoffeex

Punchykky
May 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
how is that related? you are institutions of learning that supposedly are accredited. You should be able to look at a schedule and see what days are open and what arnt...

xrolleyesx

But you are damning the conference as a whole just because 1 school's a maverick. I don't think that's right nor fair to the other schools who follow the rules and MEAC schedule. And my HBCU education served it's purpose for me, thank you very much.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM

So are you saying a HBCU education prepares one to make ill-informed decisions?

DEX
May 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM

Please share the reason for your contempt of HBCU's. Surely there has to be more to it than football scheduling errors? xsmhx

kirkblitz
May 18th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Please share the reason for your contempt of HBCU's. Surely there has to be more to it than football scheduling errors? xsmhx

there is a whole list of issues for which would most likely get me banned if i laid them all out .

Like i said earlier, only good thing about them is their bands xrotatehx

3rd Coast Tiger
May 18th, 2009, 11:56 PM
there is a whole list of issues for which would most likely get me banned if i laid them all out .

It's probably best that this thread is put to bed right here; right now. Seriously.

Big Dawg
May 19th, 2009, 01:22 AM
It's probably best that this thread is put to bed right here; right now. Seriously.

Yep, cause it can get REAL ugly in this thread.

kirkblitz
May 19th, 2009, 02:24 AM
i guess no one can be critical of the mighty hbcu schools..... xcoffeex

DSUrocks07
May 19th, 2009, 06:06 AM
xpopcornx

WileECoyote06
May 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM

You can be critical of individual schools. Each HBCU has it's own mission, scope and purpose, so even though we have some similarities, and are thought of as a group, each one is different.

Your statement is the equivalent of saying, "I can't stand schools within fifty miles of the coast". xthumbsupx

DEX
May 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Criticize to your hearts delight as none of us are beyond reproach; however to make a sweeping condemnation of all HBCU's based on the mistakes of a single athletic conference is just flat out ignorant. xnonox

kirkblitz
May 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
my condemnations would be stemming from the much bigger issues a lot of them seem to be having as of late. However their scheduling skills still suck.

WileECoyote06: Good response about the ocean :)

SU Jag
May 20th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Go ahead, we're all grown here! Tell us how you feel!xcoffeex

SU Jag
May 20th, 2009, 10:02 PM
The whole DSU thing is a joke. The MEAC should drop the hammer on DSU!xnodx

DSUrocks07
May 21st, 2009, 08:20 AM

xanim_chaix

UAalum72
May 21st, 2009, 11:59 AM
DSU's forfeit is this week's Sports Illustrated Sign of the Apocalypse.

henfan
May 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM

So long as the MEAC also drops the hammer on their own heads. They were bad actors in this as well.xsmhx

SU Jag
May 21st, 2009, 06:38 PM
So long as the MEAC also drops the hammer on their own heads. They were bad actors in this as well.xsmhx

I agree!xthumbsupx

DEX
May 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM

No, we need to drop the hammer on the commisioner. He should have been able to resolve this issue rather easily.

TexasTerror
May 26th, 2009, 01:18 PM
ESPN column...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=4199819&sportCat=ncf

YoUDeeMan
May 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
ESPN column...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=4199819&sportCat=ncf

Cue the clown music. xlolxxlolx

henfan
May 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Simply embarrassing for the DSU administration. Carter's probably wondering what the heck he's gotten himself into. I'd find a way to beat a retreat back to Bowie State.

kirkblitz
May 26th, 2009, 04:02 PM
hahahaxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotateh xxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrot atehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx xrotatehx

bosshogg
May 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM
someone please invite SC State to join their conference! Send an official invite to our Board of Trustees.....PLEASE

Punchykky
May 29th, 2009, 08:44 AM
someone please invite SC State to join their conference! Send an official invite to our Board of Trustees.....PLEASE

xthumbsupx More power to you! I think SCSU should be in the Big South or Southern Conference anyway.xpeacex

SU Jag
May 29th, 2009, 06:35 PM

SCSU would be a damn fool for leaving the MEAC! But I do agree, the MEAC commish is running the conference down. You guys need new blood over there.

Bulldog87
May 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
SCSU would be a damn fool for leaving the MEAC! But I do agree, the MEAC commish is running the conference down. You guys need new blood over there.Not if we keep the current commish. Thomas couldn't ontrol the Football team when he coached at SCSU. Why the MEAC gave him the top spot is puzzling? I'd rather stay in the MEAC without Thomas. The SoCon would be good place to land if we copuld play A&T,FAMU and a FBS team OOC every year.

SU Jag
May 29th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Not if we keep the current commish. Thomas couldn't ontrol the Football team when he coached at SCSU. Why the MEAC gave him the top spot is puzzling? I'd rather stay in the MEAC without Thomas. The SoCon would be good place to land if we copuld play A&T,FAMU and a FBS team OOC every year.

Yeah the commish is horrible, but our commish isnt all that great either!xcoffeex