PDA

View Full Version : Con about IAA playoffs

catbob
November 30th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I love the playoffs, but there is one thing I've always felt gives an unfair advantage to winning teams.

You get at least one extra game a season to develop returning players. You get one, two, three and sometimes even four extra games in a season. It is no wonder that the perennial powers are just that - they have longer seasons.

What if every team that missed the playoffs was allowed to schedule an extra game (though it would be short notice - not sure how that would work).

Just a few thoughts I've had, maybe I'm an idiot.

MR. CHICKEN
November 30th, 2005, 07:43 PM
NO MAYBE....'BOUT IT......C-BOB!.............xsmoochx...........A-10WK!

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I love the playoffs, but there is one thing I've always felt gives an unfair advantage to winning teams.

You get at least one extra game a season to develop returning players. You get one, two, three and sometimes even four extra games in a season. It is no wonder that the perennial powers are just that - they have longer seasons.

What if every team that missed the playoffs was allowed to schedule an extra game (though it would be short notice - not sure how that would work).

If it is an advantage, it is an earned advantage.

89Hen
November 30th, 2005, 07:52 PM
If it is an advantage, it is an earned advantage.
That's what I was going to say. It's an equal opportunity advantage.

TheValleyRaider
November 30th, 2005, 08:10 PM

I guess that makes sense. On the other hand though, once you get to the playoffs, you may end up decreasing the number of guys who get PT because you have to play the guys you know you can rely on, which in many cases are seniors. If this is the case, then the only time you'd get to give time to developing players who aren't starters is during a blowout (regardless of which side you're on, but most likely if you're winning). Same principle as shortening your bench in basketball at tournament time. Your most reliable players will get the time on the field. :twocents:

rokamortis
November 30th, 2005, 08:24 PM

I had a similar thought. Not so much for the development but just to have an extended season - just setup an impromptu 'bowl' game with a regional team. Sounds like a winner to me. It doesn't really mean much than just another game - but would be fun. Do it the week or 2 weeks after Thanksgiving to give the schools time to set it up, watch film on the other team, and give the guys a break for the holiday.

matfu
November 30th, 2005, 10:34 PM
an advantage for sure...but as stated above an equal opportunity advantage. this is certainly one of the reasons i like to win in the playoffs.

grizband
December 1st, 2005, 12:06 AM
Yes, it does give this advantage. But you can also use the argument that playing all of the extra games tires the players out (they use this excuse in the NFL). From 2000-2005, the Griz have played in 16 playoff games. Thats another season and a half added on the normally six seasons there. On average , that is is 2.5 more games per season.

Reed Rothchild
December 1st, 2005, 12:12 AM
The extra practices are usually not used for player development. This isn't like I-A where they have a month of free practices to do whatever you want with. Most of those teams use the majority of those practices (except game week) for player development. In I-AA, you have a small time frame to prepare for a team whom you probably have not seen for a long time or not at all. That means the guys who will be playing in the games will need as many reps as possible. The others who need the development will be the fodder for those extra reps.

Good for the starters, who are mostly seniors, bad for the young players.

Pete's Weekly
December 1st, 2005, 05:39 AM
I think that you may want to look at that from the opposite perspective. Many schools do not participate in the post-season because of academics and team depth for just this reason. Let's be honest ... at least half of the teams in I-AA (with scholarships) have hopes, but no asperations of the post-season. It takes more developed programs to advance in the post-season. Those that do are very much "beat up", when they get there.

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 06:27 AM
Only to of the teams left standing made it this far last year, Furman and UNH. If your theory were correct, where's the other 6? Seems like other teams easily made up for the "advantage" given to playoff teams last year, including many newcomes such as Cal Poly and TxSt.

PapaBear
December 1st, 2005, 06:40 AM

Actually, the "extended season" creates a disadvantage to these coaches. They have less time to hit the road and recruit new players. Granted, most of them were out the previous May doing school visits. But the immediate post-season -- from November through January, leading up to early Feb signing day -- is the most active recruiting time of the year. Even a delay of a few weeks can be very hard to make up. Not impossible, but a clear challenge.

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2005, 06:55 AM
HOWEVERAH....BY VIRTUE O' YER SQUAD MAKIN' DUH PLAY-OFFS........AN' POSSIBLY WINNIN' IT ALL......SOME O' DUH RECRUITIN' HAS BEEN DONE FOR YA!.....:beerchug:.....BRA-10WK!

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 07:41 AM

You get your chance during the season...if you don't take advantage of it, you sit at home. It's the same with every single competitive sport on almost every level (I don't know about peewee's and the like, doesn't matter). That is, every sport except I-A football.

I don't think that the Philly Eagles are taking advantage of the extra games they had in the NFL last season...do you?

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 07:42 AM
Only to of the teams left standing made it this far last year, Furman and UNH. If your theory were correct, where's the other 6? Seems like other teams easily made up for the "advantage" given to playoff teams last year, including many newcomes such as Cal Poly and TxSt.

HAHA...JMU just got plain worn out by those 4 road games last season! xlolx They didn't have a chance to recover before this season! :o

SoCon48
December 1st, 2005, 07:55 AM
Actually, the "extended season" creates a disadvantage to these coaches. They have less time to hit the road and recruit new players.

Totally agree. Glad to finally see somebody else express that idea, PapaBear.
If the publicity and media exposure for the play-offs were far greater, the returns would balance out for the lost time. Sadly, it doesn't come close.

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2005, 09:32 AM
UH HERD O' POTENTIAL RECRUITS...ARE USHERED THRU TUBBY FIELD...EVERAH SEASON......DEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN DUH U. D. PITCH.......AN' ARE SEEIN' DUH COLLEGE GAME DAY EXPERIENCE FIRSTHAND..........NOW WHEN MAKIN' DUH PLAY-OFFS..AN' POSSIBLY WINNIN' OUT........THIS FACTOR WOULD HELP SWAY UH RECRUIT.....EVEN AS RECRUITIN' TIME IS SHORT!...........BY DUH WAY......'03 NATIONAL CHAMP COACH.....KC KEELER...& STAFF....MANAGED TA RECRUIT...NEARBY GEORGIA AREA...WHILE IN CHATTY!.........:rotateh:.........BRA-10WK!

henfan
December 1st, 2005, 09:51 AM
Yeah, playoff teams have an advantage. Sure. Try telling that to playoff coaches, who have to prepare for a game and recruit. If anything, teams who don't participate in the playoffs are afforded an unfair advantage in recruiting during a very critical time.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 09:56 AM
BUT.............

winning playoff games is one of the best recruitment tools IMHO

arkstfan
December 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM
It's certainly not player development time unless you are replacing injured players and in the worst case having to burn red-shirts.

You hopefully get opponent game film late Sunday or early Monday and start breaking it down. Depending on timing you may or may not have your scout team running the opponent's look on Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday you are practicing your game plan. Thursday probably have a light workout. If you are on the road you travel on Friday and do a walk through. Play on Saturday. If you win, hopefully you've already swapped film both potential opponents and can start breaking down film late on Saturday and all day Sunday. Then start the scout team out with the opponent look on Monday.

Just keep repeating the process until you lose or there are no more games left.

The time window is so small that you just don't have time to work with anyone except the guys you think have a reasonable chance of seeing action. The guys that won't see action are running the opponent's plays.

The coaches are busy working to win a game and can spare little time for visits and calls to recruits.

With a bowl game, different world. You take a few days off to rest and heal. The players run and lift weights the first few days and might go through some light 7 on 7 stuff. The coaches are on the phone and out visiting. Then you start breaking down film and creating a game plan. You have a lot of practice time so back-ups can get some more intense action since you are giving the starters fewer practice snaps to rest and heal. Finally about two weeks out you have installed all or most of your game plan and start moving into a more serious mode. Instead of traveling to the game venue the day before you go there 3 days to 7 days early. You will likely do at least one practice in the game stadium in addition to the walk through. You probably do some practices at a local high school, juco or college.

The I-AA coach has less time to plan and less time to recruit. While he may be calling players, his rivals are there in person. He has fewer problems keeping his team focused because he is going to be on pretty much the same schedule that the team has been on all season and doesn't have to contend with figuring out just when to ramp back up the intensity or avoiding distractions from pre-game festivities like pep rallies, luncheons and tours of local sites.

The I-A coach goes in knowing the opponent inside and out and knows his opponent will know his team inside and out. He has to get the intensity up to the right level at the right time. Too early and the team burns out, too late and the team isn't dialed in to the game. He has to let the team do some of the festivity stuff or they will be disgruntled about the trip but if they go overboard they lose sight of the fact they still have a game to play.

Neither way is "better" from a coach's standpoint because either way creates problems that have to be addressed.

catbob
December 1st, 2005, 11:58 AM
I wasn't referring to the extra practice time; rather I was referring to the gameday experience underclassmen get from a few extra games a year.

But it is definately a downside for coaches unable to hit the recruiting trail.

I still think it would be fun to set up some sort of regional game, maybe two weeks after the season has ended, for teams not participating. Kind of a mini bowl type series. Maybe just include the rest of the top 25 who didn't make it. Give out bids, etc.

rokamortis
December 1st, 2005, 12:17 PM
I still think it would be fun to set up some sort of regional game, maybe two weeks after the season has ended, for teams not participating. Kind of a mini bowl type series. Maybe just include the rest of the top 25 who didn't make it. Give out bids, etc.

I'm with ya bob. Although I would open it up to anyone who would want to play a game. I don't think the I-AA purists would like it if we made it too bowlish.

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2005, 12:23 PM
IFIN' PLAY-OFF TEAMS ARE HAVIN' SUCH UH HARD TIME RECRUITIN'........DEN...HOW DOES.......GEORGIA SOUTHERN......MONTANA......FURMAN.......DELAWARE.. .....LEHIGH........ETC........MANAGE TA RETURN TA DUH DANCE...YEAR IN AN' YEAR OUT :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

igo4uni
December 1st, 2005, 01:19 PM
IFIN' PLAY-OFF TEAMS ARE HAVIN' SUCH UH HARD TIME RECRUITIN'........DEN...HOW DOES.......GEORGIA SOUTHERN......MONTANA......FURMAN.......DELAWARE.. .....LEHIGH........ETC........MANAGE TA RETURN TA DUH DANCE...YEAR IN AN' YEAR OUT :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

East Coast bias.

:D

peace

igo4uni

SoCon48
December 1st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Yeah, playoff teams have an advantage. Sure. Try telling that to playoff coaches, who have to prepare for a game and recruit. If anything, teams who don't participate in the playoffs are afforded an unfair advantage in recruiting during a very critical time.

Well said, henfan.

89Hen
December 1st, 2005, 02:31 PM
Not sure I'd agree with that. IMO a playoff appearance may do more for recruiting than any trip to the living room by a coach.

henfan
December 1st, 2005, 02:38 PM
89', I'm merely repeating what Tubby Raymond, KC Keeler and other coaches have said about recruiting during playoff time. Sure, it helps to have your team on TV during the playoffs, if they're on TV, but that only means less time for your staff to get in front of the recruit and his family. It's a big time tradeoff that doesn't always work to the advantage of the playoff team.

89Hen
December 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM
I'm merely repeating what Tubby Raymond...
:eek: I can't wait to hear what comes out of your mouth next then. :p ;)

BTW, I was only speculating. I've never been recruited for football, so I really don't know what goes into it. We read stuff on Rivals, in papers, on boards.... but probaly most people, like me, have no real clue about this.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 1st, 2005, 03:18 PM
FWIW, I do recall comments in articles after the UNH Quarterfinal loss to Montana. The coaches commented on how they had to quickly switch gears to recruiting because they were already behind where they would have been in a non-playoff year. In no way was this complaining, just stating some facts.

henfan
December 1st, 2005, 03:21 PM
I can't wait to hear what comes out of your mouth next then.

What are you saying, you redneck hot dog?! :D

AppFootballAlum
December 1st, 2005, 03:24 PM
an advantage for sure...but as stated above an equal opportunity advantage. this is certainly one of the reasons i like to win in the playoffs.

Agreee

PapaBear
December 1st, 2005, 03:36 PM
:eek: I've never been recruited for football

My son was, very heavily, by at least two teams that went deep into last year's playoffs. Both of them told me they loved playing for the championship but that it definitely cut into recruiting.

It was a tradeoff worth taking, tho, they said.

89Hen
December 1st, 2005, 03:37 PM
What are you saying, you redneck hot dog?! :D
Just saying to be careful repeating what comes out of Tubby's mouth these days. :)

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 03:39 PM
My son was, very heavily, by at least two teams that went deep into last year's playoffs. Both of them told me they loved playing for the championship but that it definitely cut into recruiting.

It was a tradeoff worth taking, tho, they said.

Just taking a stab here...
Two teams that went deep into the playoffs last year...I'm going to assume that they were both kinda close together for recruiting purposes....JMU & W&M?

89Hen
December 1st, 2005, 03:39 PM
The coaches commented on how they had to quickly switch gears to recruiting because they were already behind where they would have been in a non-playoff year. In no way was this complaining, just stating some facts.
So maybe they were they behind in watching tape, assessing recruits, lining stuff up... more of the logistical stuff? I was thinking of it more along the lines of saying it was another team getting their foot in the door with a kid while the other coaches were still coaching.

PapaBear
December 1st, 2005, 04:29 PM
Just taking a stab here...
Two teams that went deep into the playoffs last year...I'm going to assume that they were both kinda close together for recruiting purposes....JMU & W&M?

Logical thinking but actually the two schools weren't anywhere close, geographically.

( :eyebrow: Not trying to be evasive. Just want to be anonymous enough to comment freely. But on recruiting issues, I do speak from close, first-hand experience with both I-A and I-AA schools.)

arkstfan
December 1st, 2005, 06:51 PM
89', I'm merely repeating what Tubby Raymond, KC Keeler and other coaches have said about recruiting during playoff time. Sure, it helps to have your team on TV during the playoffs, if they're on TV, but that only means less time for your staff to get in front of the recruit and his family. It's a big time tradeoff that doesn't always work to the advantage of the playoff team.

Larry Lacewell said it to. He was 6-4 in the playoffs and said that if the games had been on TV it would have helped because as it was there was so little coverage that the kids couldn't follow your progress unless they lived close by where there was some coverage.