PDA

View Full Version : List of FCS transfers playing at FBS schools:

Smendy
May 7th, 2009, 01:18 AM
This site, which I like because they follow the small schools closely in the off-season, has listed 15 FBS transfers (seniors) that will playing at FCS schools this fall and could be NFL prospects in 2010. Good list, but there must be more they could've added. I'm sure Hampton has a few more, in addition to Coker?

Again, I like the site, but they are really grasping at straws if they think Beecher and Sexton are NFL prospects. I like the WR that transfered to Liberty as a potential FCS star, though. Will be interesting to see if he can dominate for the Flames?

http://draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Here are some to add

UMASS WR Jeremy Horne transferred from Syracuse
Eastern Kentucky OT Andre Barbour transferred from North Carolina

Both of those are possible free agent names to add.

Smendy
May 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks smallcollegeFBfan, I watched the Minutemen last season and I was impressed with Horne. I just looked up his stats and was even more impressed. Nice stats for a tall receiver:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=175915

I thought they were missing Pat Delvin on their list, but turns out he won't be a senior this fall. Do you think Delvin is a bigtime NFL prospect, looking down the road?

I thought Penn State made a mistake with him. Clark, and all good dual-threat quarterbacks, are fine if you want to beat Wisconsin, Michigan and Purdue and win the Big 10....but if Paterno wants to win a national title, he needs a pro style QB to take down the likes of USC, Oklahoma and Florida in bowl games.

Franks Tanks
May 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks smallcollegeFBfan, I watched the Minutemen last season and I was impressed with Horne. I just looked up his stats and was even more impressed. Nice stats for a tall receiver:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=175915

I thought they were missing Pat Delvin on their list, but turns out he won't be a senior this fall. Do you think Delvin is a bigtime NFL prospect, looking down the road?

I thought Penn State made a mistake with him. Clark, and all good dual-threat quarterbacks, are fine if you want to beat Wisconsin, Michigan and Purdue and win the Big 10....but if Paterno wants to win a national title, he needs a pro style QB to take down the likes of USC, Oklahoma and Florida in bowl games.

Holy Cross had a kid leave and walk-on at Ohio State this winter

colorless raider
May 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Dan Methany dt

kirkblitz
May 7th, 2009, 02:31 PM
damn liberty stop stealing our cocks! xsmiley_wix

Smendy
May 7th, 2009, 03:36 PM

FT, small schoolers jumping to a top 10 school is rare. I wish him luck. This might seem like a dumb question, but does he have to sit out a year making the jump up to FCS?

Another player I can think of that went from FCS TO FBS is qaurterback Levi Brown. He left Richmond for Troy and was the Sun Belt Player of the year last season. I think he sat out a year, but not sure?

Franks Tanks
May 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM
FT, small schoolers jumping to a top 10 school is rare. I wish him luck. This might seem like a dumb question, but does he have to sit out a year making the jump up to FCS?

Another player I can think of that went from FCS TO FBS is qaurterback Levi Brown. He left Richmond for Troy and was the Sun Belt Player of the year last season. I think he sat out a year, but not sure?

I believe he does have to sit out.

He is basically a preferred walk on as I understand it, but yes it is rare.

Several years ago Lafayette had a player leave and walk on a Penn State. He actually ended up starting a few games for Penn State at LB during the early 2000's.

CharlestonAppFan
May 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Didn't LSU's QB to start the year last year transfer from Harvard to LSU? And then started? That's really very rare

andy7171
May 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Towson has a big DE transfer from Boston College, Brady Smith.

Back when Towson State dropped football scholarships in 1995, Chad Scott transferred up to Maryland. He didn't have to sit out, though the rules may have been different back then because Madieu Williams did have to sit out a year when he transfered out of Towson to Maryland.

jmufan999
May 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM
we have an incoming freshman (D-end) that turned down Boston College and Maryland (meaning, turned down OFFERS on the table, not just "they had interest")... does that count?

yes, that was a shameless plug and has nothing to do with the topic. whatever. but yes, we also got a transfer from Army, i think a guard??? maybe one more from Marshall, don't remember his position.

pantherbacker
May 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Owen Schmitt went from UW-River Falls to West Virginia.
I know its not FCS to FBS but this is an even bigger jump.

And they were a top 10 team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Schmitt

Smendy
May 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Towson has a big DE transfer from Boston College, Brady Smith.

Andy, Brady Smith is a good player, who got in legal trouble. That's a good name, as I wondering what happened to him? The site I linked only had seniors in their quick FCS look, but I know there are some good underclassmen that transfered down-- Eastern Illinois has a back from Florida that was once highly regarded.

Panther, Owen Scmitt is a great example of a player that transfered upwards and became a FBS star.

JMU fan, I love following the Ivies. I know Princeton recently got a kid (forget his name) from Greenwich, CT (Steve Young's school) that was offered a full ride (LB/FB) by Florida, Oklahoma and everyone else, but decided to go FCS due to the superior academics.

andy7171
May 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Andy, Brady Smith is a good player, who got in legal trouble. That's a good name, as I wondering what happened to him?

He had 4 sacks in the Black and Gold game.