PDA

View Full Version : Big South Predictions in 2009

EagleDawg
May 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Let's not let all the other conference posters have all the fun guys, let's get our pre-season picks out there too. I'll kick it off. I'm picking GWU, a ton of returning starters and a solid recruiting class. I'll admit a bit of bias since EagleDawg, Jr. is part of the recruiting class. The match-up on Sept. 12 at Western Carolina could be key as well as the conference opener against VMI.

1. Gardner-Webb
2. Liberty
3. Charleston Southern
4. Stony Brook
5. VMI
6. Coastal Carolina
7. Presbyterian

Go Runnin Bulldogs! xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

gophoenix
May 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Let's not let all the other conference posters have all the fun guys, let's get our pre-season picks out there too. I'll kick it off. I'm picking GWU, a ton of returning starters and a solid recruiting class. I'll admit a bit of bias since EagleDawg, Jr. is part of the recruiting class. The match-up on Sept. 12 at Western Carolina could be key as well as the conference opener against VMI.

1. Gardner-Webb
2. Liberty
3. Charleston Southern
4. Stony Brook
5. VMI
6. Coastal Carolina
7. Presbyterian

Go Runnin Bulldogs! xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Has Coastal really fallen down that much?

EagleDawg
May 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM
gophoenix - That's just my guess on Coastal Carolina but they really struggled to score points last season and I read where they only scored 3 points in their Spring Game. While defense wins championships you still gotta score to win a game. I'm sure a Coastal poster will set the record straight before too long though. Good luck to the Phoenix in 2009, the SOCON should have a tremendous number of quality match-ups this year.

BJuice
May 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM
We have Liberty at home as our Homecoming game this year. In recent years, we have been very good at home. Don't be surprised to see Charleston Southern in the second spot.

IaaScribe
May 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Liberty won 50-10 in its last trip to Chucktown. Just throwing that out there.

Tribe4SF
May 5th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Liberty won 50-10 in its last trip to Chucktown. Just throwing that out there.

Scribe,

What's your take on the Flames this year. Big losses from '08.

jcmanson
May 5th, 2009, 07:57 AM
There's only 2 games on our Big South schedule that worry me: @ G-W and @ SBU.

Our other conference games:

Coastal at home for homecoming, not going to lose.

@CSU. I just don't see it happening.

Presby at home. After losing to them in the fluke game last year that likely cost us the playoffs, I expect a thrashing.

VMI at home could be a stumbling block, but I think we'll have enough to overcome them.

I think we're 5-1 at worst in conference, but we do have some question marks on offense.

IaaScribe
May 5th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Scribe,

What's your take on the Flames this year. Big losses from '08.

Very much so, especially at the skill positions on the offensive side of the ball.

The defense will be fine. The big losses there are accounted for. Doncel Bolt should step in for Nick Hursky just fine at Mike linebacker; Larry Claiborne played excellent in big games as a freshman last year and will be the new starting strong safety. The guy who was supposed to be their top nickel back last year, Donald Manns, returns from an injury and steps in at corner.

There's no doubt there's uncertainty on offense. They won't know until the summer who will start at QB since Tommy Beecher won't be on campus until then. It'll be between Beecher and Mike Brown there. LU is a mess at tailback right now, as the presumptive starter, freshman SirChauncey Holloway, is still working his way through the NCAA clearinghouse and didn't participate in spring practice. I think a few receivers will emerge from the mix of VT transfer Ervin Garner, SoCar transfer Freddie Brown and returners Chris Summers and Jimmy Eden.

They'll have a tough time getting going with so many new faces because the schedule is not easy (at WVU, vs. NC Central, at Lafayette, vs. JMU). I think they'll be good come conference time though. I don't think you'll be hearing about Liberty in terms of playoff discussion unless the QB and RB situations come along much quicker than people are anticipating.

SuperJon
May 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Liberty - Just like Coastal two years ago, I think you have to put us on top until we lose the title.

Stony Brook - they lose the entire D-line and two of three backups but return entire LB and DB corps as seniors. They're going to be tough on defense. Offense is the question, namely quarterback. They're going to have the best running back in the conference. They're likely going to be 1-3 coming into the conference season, so they could be beat up and that could change everything, but in terms of the conference, they should be alright.

G-W - Defense will be good, offense can score some, but they give away stupid games and fade at the end of the season. Having SVU right before the meat of their conference schedule can help them a ton.

VMI - They favor from the schedule. Stony Brook comes there for the first time ever and it's hard to win there. Coastal can't stop the run to save their lives. PC is, well, PC. GWU and CSU are both at home. They could surprise people. The 50/50 games are at home and you know how hard it is for teams to win there. Their off date is terrible. Then they have their conference schedule in the middle of the season, which is normally where they lose steam before picking it up at the end of the season. They're dangerous in the first two weeks and November. Not so much in October which incidentally is when five of their six games are.

Coastal - They're not going to be much better if any. They have no wide receivers and lost their best offensive lineman. Unless something drastic changes, I could run for 100 yards on them (and then need a ton of oxygen). They go to Clemson on a Friday night after coming back from Long Island the week before. After that beat down, they've got to play three games they could win, but how healthy will they be?

CSU - They are what they are. They may win a game they shouldn't because of Jay Mills, but they have huge question marks everywhere, especially QB. They haven't had the same QB two years in a row since Drafts graduated. Their bye week is perfect. How they still have Jay Mills is anyone's guess.

PC - They're PC. They may win something, but Bobo hasn't recruited anyone worth a crap in two years. They're taking spread athletes and trying to run a real offense with them. Bobo's offense is the only reason they won a few games. It'll take a year or two for them to get back.

The game in Long Island on November 21 could theoretically be the Big South Championship game. The Big South schedules are better this year, but can these teams (us included) compete in some of them? If they can, great. If not and they get beat up, all bets are off. I don't know how many of these teams have the off-season conditioning programs and strength programs to be playing Kent St/Clemson, NC State/Buffalo, Florda/USF, JMU/Richmond, etc. The schedules are good, but can they handle it?

Zeus69
May 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I would rank the teams in this order....
1. Liberty.. have to beat the champ to be the champ
2. Stony Brook... tough, physical run game is the key to their success
3. Gardner-Webb.. have good talent, but they seem to fade late.
4. VMI... they have the potential to have a breakout year with all those young guys getting experience the last couple of years.
5. Coastal.... how far they have fallen, but they are still real athletic.
6. CSU... soft... dont know how else to say it.
7. Presby... how they beat us(Liberty) last year I will never know.

EagleDawg
May 5th, 2009, 09:55 AM
SuperJon - Pretty good analysis. I just had GWU taking the two games against Liberty and Stony Brook as they have them at home and both of those teams do have pretty big question marks on offense and GWU should have the best D in the Big South. GWU must improve on the give aways on offense but hopefully some of that comes via more experience. With enhanced depth along both the D and O lines the wear down factor towards the end of the season can be muted provided those units avoid significant injuries. The GWU game at VMI is key for the Dawgs and they do have to find a way to beat CCU but that may be more doable this year. The Chants are missing something that goes beyond X's and O's and players but I can't figure it out.

SuperJon
May 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I don't know how much of it's been depth the past few years and how much of it has been GWU just straight up quitting. Two years ago, they could've won the league, and instead they get beat 31-0 on senior night. Last year they got killed at Liberty and then lost again on senior night to a bad Coastal team. It didn't look like depth issues. It looked like they just didn't show up.

The trademark of Gardner-Webb football is to not show up at the end of the season. They haven't won on senior night since 2004. Since 06 they have dropped their final two conference games. The last two years they have started the season 2-4, rolled back to win three straight games, and then didn't show up in the last two games.

Gardner-Webb is the anti-VMI. They do terrible at the beginning of the season, play great in October, then play terrible in November.

EagleDawg
May 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
SuperJon - Can't argue with the quitting bit as I wasn't there to see the games in person. The GWU staff emphasized line recruiting this year and indicated they needed more depth and better size. When you get whipped in the trenches it can resemble quitting as you don't stop the other team from scoring and you can't score yourself. Time will certainly tell but there's one new Dawg who certainly will never quit and I sense that many of new his mates are cut from the same cloth. I saw Elon play App. State last year as tough as I'ver ever seen a team play ASU in Boone on a raw, cold, rainy, icy and snowy Saturday and then the Phoenix lay an egg at Liberty the very next week. Some may say Elon quit but I think they were just completely used up physically, mentally, etc. and the tank was just flat empty. It happens in sports and it happens at every level. Eventually, to be a champion you have to fight and work your way thru it when you're faced with it. Liberty has the last two seasons, I'm just thinking it may be GWU's time.

SuperJon
May 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Don't know if you saw my edit that I did. I talked about why it seems GWU doesn't show up in the end of the year.

EagleDawg
May 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
SuperJon - Saw it after I posted. It's all good, it's opinions. It's great to get some discussion going on the league for next season. Everybody's tied for 1st right now, that's what makes it fun to get the discussion going.

jcmanson
May 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Everybody's tied for 1st right now

Except for Presby xsmiley_wix

Zeus69
May 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I dont really think Elon laid down as much as they were physically overmatched. However, if Gardner Webb continues to have no rushing attack they will have a hard time against the Flames.

EagleDawg
May 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
jc.. you got me on that one. It's gotta be hard to play each week with the goal to spoil someone's season but have no shot to win your conference. Not that it would happen but if PC were to run the table and with the Big South not having the automatic bid until 2010 couldn't they make it in (FCS) as an At-Large Team just like any other team in the league or are they precluded from post season no matter what?

EagleDawg
May 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Zeus - GWU's RB's all average above 4.5 ypc, the play's evenly split between the run and pass, it's just the ypg that could use improvement. I would think when you get into the 4th quarter and want to protect a lead and run clock that it's a little more challenging to do out of the spread and with OL who are accustomed to 2-pt stances. It would awesome to be able to flip the switch and go from the spread to a Wofford style with a lead in the 4th qtr but not many teams can do that, flip the switch or play Wofford style.

gobluehose1
May 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM
There's only 2 games on our Big South schedule that worry me: @ G-W and @ SBU.

Our other conference games:

Coastal at home for homecoming, not going to lose.

@CSU. I just don't see it happening.

Presby at home. After losing to them in the fluke game last year that likely cost us the playoffs, I expect a thrashing.

VMI at home could be a stumbling block, but I think we'll have enough to overcome them.

I think we're 5-1 at worst in conference, but we do have some question marks on offense.

I swear y'all said the same thing last year

gobluehose1
May 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Except for Presby xsmiley_wix

I think we are eligible to win it this year, just not go to the playoffs....remember we don't have an autobid yet, so that is not really an issue like it was with UCA and their conference last year.....

SuperJon
May 5th, 2009, 11:51 AM
PC is able to win the league this year. Their games count towards conference standings as opposed to last year.

Redwyn
May 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I'm high on Stony Brook and Liberty doing well yet again in the conference. Liberty has a strong winning tradition, and doesn't lose enough of its Big South winning squad (RB was a big hit though) to be counted out.

As for Stony Brook, a consistent issue with its offense in 08 was its passing game. With Coulter in at QB you have a much more dynamic passer, and with Gowins and Cuttino back there will be a very powerful offense. Keep in mind that SBU also has hit maximum scholarships this year, which is a good indicator that it will improve in those areas where it was weakest.

Hoseinexile07
May 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
What does "PC is PC" mean?

I don't entirely disagree with our relegation to the basement of the Big South due to the fallout from "The Bobby Bentley Affair." But so far in both of our seasons in I-AA, we've managed to humiliate someone. In '07 it was Coastal. In '08 it was Liberty. So while we aren't poised to win the league or even finish in the top half, we can still be dangerous.

Also, I was a junior in 2005 when we ran the tables in the SAC after being picked to finish close to the bottom. That year, we beat everybody* and thrashed Carson-Newman, who was a lot of people's pre-season SAC champ and a team predicted to make a deep run in the playoffs. I like being the underdog, and while I'm not saying we'll go 11-0 this season, a surprising run is not outside the realm of possibility.

*in the league

SuperJon
May 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM
PC is PC means just that. It means you are still a transitional school that has been competitive and shocked a couple people but have also gotten killed. It means that for right now, there's no reason to put you anywhere but the bottom. It's just like me saying GWU is GWU. I expect them to start of slow, make a run in the middle, and then fade at the end. It's what they do. I expect VMI to be tough at the beginning of the season, fade a little in the middle, and then get really dangerous in November. Once again, it's what they do. It's how they've been the past few years.

SideLine Shooter
May 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
PC is PC means just that. It means you are still a transitional school that has been competitive and shocked a couple people but have also gotten killed. It means that for right now, there's no reason to put you anywhere but the bottom. It's just like me saying GWU is GWU. I expect them to start of slow, make a run in the middle, and then fade at the end. It's what they do. I expect VMI to be tough at the beginning of the season, fade a little in the middle, and then get really dangerous in November. Once again, it's what they do. It's how they've been the past few years.

Could that not be said about the whole Big South Conference?

No disrespect meant, just being real.

EagleDawg
May 5th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Is the current silence from Coastal posters indicative of the expectations for the 09 Chants (i.e not to be heard from)? Who will it be to challenge the Flames and end their 2 year run, Stony, GWU, VMI, CSU? I still like GWU's chances with the way their schedule is arranged. Liberty, CSU and Stony in Boiling Springs with road games at VMI, Coastal and PC.

Seawolf97
May 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
With 2 1000 yard plus running backs returning , a new 4-3 defensive line up and new defensive co ordinator I think we will be in the mix for first place. I agree the game against Lberty on 11/21 at StonyBrook could decide the conference title.

SuperJon
May 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I don't understand why you guys went to a 4-3 when you had every linebacker from the 3-4 coming back.

Seawolf97
May 5th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I don't understand why you guys went to a 4-3 when you had every linebacker from the 3-4 coming back.

A new defensive co ordinator from SMU and few redshirts that we will be adding this season is probably the reason. It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

SuperJon
May 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
To me it just seems counter productive. I hope some of those OLBs were able to bulk up to play DE.

g-webb1994
May 5th, 2009, 09:37 PM
1. Liberty - struggling on offense seems like a lame excuse when a former USC Gamecock may not even see the field as the starting QB. I don't buy it. LU is loaded for a playoff push.

2. Gardner-Webb - the defense will be stout, still have questions about Doolittle at QB....could easily see them shock LU for the Big South lead in Boiling Springs in November, only to crap it away at PC in the finale, that would be typical Patton football.

3. Stony Brook - solid defense along with getting LU and Coastal at home helps.

4. Coastal Carolina - have lost alot, Bennett under pressure to right the ship, could see them 4-2 in conference play at best.

5. VMI - Sparky has the Keydets pointed in the right direction, tough road-heavy schedule may take its toll.

6. Presbyterian - new coach thrown into the mix unexpectedly, along with not being able to sneak up on anyone within conference, leads to subpar year.

7. Charleston Southern - they may not be this bad, but the brutal three-game road stretch of UF, Wofford, and South Florida to start the season will take its toll physically to the point that they won't recover fully for conference play.

I see Liberty running the table in conference, key to the Flames getting a berth will be only losing to WVU out of conference, meaning beating JMU at home.

I see G-W at 6-3 overall and unbeaten in conference going into the LU game at home, then proceeding to lose to LU and PC to end the year, limping to another typical Patton 6-5 performance. The WCU game in Cullowheeeee is big for momentum, heading into the bye before the VMI game at 2-1 as opposed to 1-2, would be huge IMO.

Darkhorse for the season is VMI. Sparky hasn't lost his ability to coach and motivate, he just doesn't have the athletic talent on the roster that other schools have, but as we all know, games aren't won on paper.

Seawolf97
May 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
At least one DE slot should be filled by Chris Perry 6'3 275lbs. transfer from Colorado. He sat out last year so it is hard to tell how he will do. He did play DE for the Buffalo's when he was out there.

Seawolf97
May 5th, 2009, 09:44 PM
If we can get through our non conference schedule at 3-2 I would be happy. Especially since 4 out 5 games are on the road Hofstra, Colgate, U Mass and North Dakota. We only have Brown at home which I feel is a toss up right now.

Redwyn
May 6th, 2009, 04:05 AM
If we can get through our non conference schedule at 3-2 I would be happy. Especially since 4 out 5 games are on the road Hofstra, Colgate, U Mass and North Dakota. We only have Brown at home which I feel is a toss up right now.

Our best shots for wins OOC are going to be Colgate and North Dakota. Hofstra seems to be a hang up for SBU in general...something about that name. Brown is winnable though a very tough team. A win at U Mass would certainly be a statement game this season.

While very optimistically the team could run the table, I agree realistically a 3-2 OOC would be a great finish. Never know though, this could be our year to break out!

jcmanson
May 6th, 2009, 07:50 AM
1. Liberty - struggling on offense seems like a lame excuse when a former USC Gamecock may not even see the field as the starting QB. I don't buy it. LU is loaded for a playoff push.

Think what you want, but at the skill positions we are very, very young. Our top 2 wideouts are gone. Our 3rd wideout from last season, is currently penciled in as our starting QB. Our top 3 RBs that entered the season in 08 are gone (2 graduated, 1 is playing defense). Then of course we lost our 3+ year starter at QB in Brock Smith.

It is unknown at this point if Beecher will replace Mike Brown as QB. I think we are the team to beat in conference, but I don't foresee us making a run at the playoffs this year.

kirkblitz
May 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM
1. ccu - huge offensive powers, weak defense. CCU national champs. Bennett fired at end of season.

Hoseinexile07
May 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
1. VMI [upset alert]
2. LU
3. Coastal, Stony Brook, CSU
10. Presbyterian
xoopsx

Seriously though, I don't know anything about any of the other teams in the conference at this point. But what I do know is that we're going to struggle this year...and next year probably. It will probably be 2011 before we start to put anything impressive together. Our guys have had to adjust constantly between different assistant and head coaches' MOs and packages on both sides of the ball. We've graduated some great players on our O-Line, like Jesse Painter and Jeff Hallen. SJ Worrell was dismissed from the team at the end of last season, but his replacement is in all likelihood Mario Carter, and behind him is Lance Byrd. Both these kids have serious wheels. What I do know is that our quarterback position is stacked up. Both Tim Webb and Brandon Miley are excellent and smart signal callers. Miley also has the ability to get out of trouble and get down-field if his pocket collapses. We'll have to see if our wide outs can rise to the occasion, but at this point, R.So. Sean Adegbola looks to make a significant contribution. We'll see, though. Preseason intangibles don't always translate into success once the pigskin's flying.

BJuice
May 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
7. Charleston Southern - they may not be this bad, but the brutal three-game road stretch of UF, Wofford, and South Florida to start the season will take its toll physically to the point that they won't recover fully for conference play.

I remember reading this same sort of thing last year when we had a three game stretch like the one this year. Once again, we'll see. I think we'll be just fine.

CSU - They are what they are. They may win a game they shouldn't because of Jay Mills, but they have huge question marks everywhere, especially QB. They haven't had the same QB two years in a row since Drafts graduated. Their bye week is perfect. How they still have Jay Mills is anyone's guess.

Have you ever thought that we still have Jay Mills because he believes in what he is doing at Charleston Southern and wants to stay to see it through? It says a whole lot more for a coach and his character to stay and continue to build than to just leave because somebody else comes calling. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

We are what we are right now (a football program with a bright future headed in the right direction) because of Coach Mills and his hard work.

We will surprise people again this year.

SuperJon
May 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM
You say that about Jay Mills like he hasn't even looked for other jobs. He wanted the USA job pretty badly from what I was hearing. Just because he hasn't left doesn't mean that he is there for life. When the right job comes along, he's gone. He's good enough to move up in the coaching world if given the chance.

clinchBoy
May 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM
1. liberty
2. coastal
3. vmi
4. chuck south
5. gwu
6. pc

Redwyn
May 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
1. liberty
2. coastal
3. vmi
4. chuck south
5. gwu
6. pc

.....so Stony Brook gets booted from the conference on your table?

Seawolf97
May 7th, 2009, 12:58 PM
1. liberty
2. coastal
3. vmi
4. chuck south
5. gwu
6. pc

YIKES ! Where do we go now?xcoffeex

Redwyn
May 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM

In an attempt to find an even more unlikely location for a school in New York, Stony Brook will transfer to the NAIA Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. It'll be good for us. http://www.kcacsports.com/index.php

bigSfan89
May 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM
good thread with some thoughtful comments

LIBERTY HAS TO GET THE NOD FOR conf. champ in 09.

CSU will be third or better. you may be right that Jay Mills may leave CSU, but he is still our coach and he claims that this years incoming class is his best yet. from what i hear he is pleased with the whole team. he has two QBs who were very impressive in spring drills.

i do think Sparky will do well at VMI, but this is only his second year.

Bennett at Coastal is a class act, he's not going anywhere but up.

Go Big South; Go BUCS!!!

kirkblitz
May 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
good thread with some thoughtful comments

LIBERTY HAS TO GET THE NOD FOR conf. champ in 09.

CSU will be third or better. you may be right that Jay Mills may leave CSU, but he is still our coach and he claims that this years incoming class is his best yet. from what i hear he is pleased with the whole team. he has two QBs who were very impressive in spring drills.

i do think Sparky will do well at VMI, but this is only his second year.

Bennett at Coastal is a class act, he's not going anywhere but up.

Go Big South; Go BUCS!!!

cant fall much further i hope xreadx

clinchBoy
May 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM

sorry

forgot about you guys
dont know how

liberty
coastal/stony brook
vmi
chuck south
gwu
pc

CSUbucFan
May 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM
when is chuck south going to get any respect? Yes, i understand we got crushed by liberty ath their place... but i mean we are constantly picked at the bottom and somehow end up towards the top......we have good athletes and a great schedule......i think this season is all about respect

jmufan999
May 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM
They'll have a tough time getting going with so many new faces because the schedule is not easy (at WVU, vs. NC Central, at Lafayette, vs. JMU).

i don't know much about your conference, but one thing i do know is that you have absolutely nothing to worry about with NC Central. nothing against them personally, of course. their marching band has one of the most entertaining halftime shows i've ever seen. but the football team is very, very raw. very. i remember scotty mcgee terrorizing them last year, if memory serves me. which it doesn't always.

jmufan999
May 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM
ok i checked. he only had 38 returning yards but had a touchdown. so i take that last comment back. it was our running game that did them in. 14.5 yards per carry and 6 rushing TD's.

oh and by the way, the halftime show i mentioned... it was a Michael Jackson theme. i remember they did Smooth Criminal, and the cheerleaders all had the suits with the hats, doing the MJ dance and stuff. it was kick a**. we have a LOT of pride in our 400+ member band (i used to be in it), but even our fans were impressed.

ok, i'm done now.

EagleDawg
May 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Alright, although I'm still one of the newer posters here and I did start this thread, you can go ahead and get me on the record with this following quote "If the Runnin Bulldogs of GWU finish next to last as ClinchBoy says, then I will suggest that their mascot be changed to the Runnin Toy Poodles". Is it possible, yes, is it likely, no. Alright Dawgs, don't make me look bad now!

BJuice
May 11th, 2009, 02:11 PM
You say that about Jay Mills like he hasn't even looked for other jobs. He wanted the USA job pretty badly from what I was hearing. Just because he hasn't left doesn't mean that he is there for life. When the right job comes along, he's gone. He's good enough to move up in the coaching world if given the chance.

I'm not saying he shouldn't look and he shouldn't respond if contacted. I am also not saying that I believe he should be at Charleston Southern for the rest of his coaching life.

It is good to have a coach that other schools want. I just believe that it is still early in the building process that he is orchestrating at CSU. He has done a great job so far, but still has a ways to go. The future is bright for Coach Mills and Charleston Southern together.

Libertine
May 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Mills was also one of about 30 applicants for the Sam Houston job when it last came open.

IaaScribe
May 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM
when is chuck south going to get any respect? Yes, i understand we got crushed by liberty ath their place... but i mean we are constantly picked at the bottom and somehow end up towards the top......we have good athletes and a great schedule......i think this season is all about respect

Last four CSU-Liberty meetings:
@LIB 42, CSU 0
LIB 50, @CSU 10
@LIB 34, CSU 20
@CSU 31, LIB 30 -- CSU has to rally from 12 points down to beat the worst Liberty team in school history (1-10).

That's why it's tough for me to give CSU much of a chance against LU. I've been on the beat for four years and haven't seen an impressive CSU performance against the Flames yet.

Wildcat80
May 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM
just curious are there any VMI posters on these boards?

Tealblood
May 12th, 2009, 05:53 AM
used to be 1 or 2
but no not much of a following here

kdinva
May 12th, 2009, 05:55 AM
just curious are there any VMI posters on these boards?
yeah, 3 or 4 of us occasionally........

1) Liberty
2) Stony Brook
3)_VMI
4) CCU
5) Gard-webb
6) CSU
7) Presby...

Redwyn
May 12th, 2009, 06:00 AM
yeah, 3 or 4 of us occasionally........

1) Liberty
2) Stony Brook
3)_VMI
4) CCU
5) Gard-webb
6) CSU
7) Presby...

Gotta think that projection's pretty close. Maybe up or down one for each team, but that's the magic of early season projections. A lot will deal with momentum from OOC schedules.

clinchBoy
May 12th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Alright, although I'm still one of the newer posters here and I did start this thread, you can go ahead and get me on the record with this following quote "If the Runnin Bulldogs of GWU finish next to last as ClinchBoy says, then I will suggest that their mascot be changed to the Runnin Toy Poodles". Is it possible, yes, is it likely, no. Alright Dawgs, don't make me look bad now!

GWU will struggle to break .500....again. Ok, maybe 3rd to last.

Libertine
May 12th, 2009, 11:01 AM
@LIB 34, CSU 20

Just as an added note. This was the '06 meeting in which CSU came into the game 9-0, ranked in the TSN top 25 and on a 14-game winning streak. They never led and, at one point in the 4th, were down 34-7.

g-webb1994
May 12th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Just as an added note. This was the '06 meeting in which CSU came into the game 9-0, ranked in the TSN top 25 and on a 14-game winning streak. They never led and, at one point in the 4th, were down 34-7.

Ouch.

Ol Blue
May 15th, 2009, 09:20 AM

CSU has improved a lot since then. At that time we were playing a lot of DII and NAIA schools, hence the "streak." The weak schedule was a common source of criticism for CSU that year. Playing weak teams does not build competitiveness as we all know.

Our tougher schedule in the beginning of this season will help us this year just like it did last year. It may soon become the way most Big South teams earn more respect in the league.

Overall we will be competitive in most of our games.

Libertine
May 15th, 2009, 11:05 AM
CSU has improved a lot since then.

I think the scores Scribe posted would indicate otherwise. xcoolx