PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Baltimore Columnist...

Hood
May 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Sent: Mon 5/4/2009 4:38 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Lardarius Webb

- Hide quoted text -
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravensnotes27apr27,0,2260835.story

I know I am a week late on this, but the article published April 27th about Lardarius Webb repeatedly says he did not come from a Division I school. This is false. Nicholls State is a Division I institution. It plays Division I in all sports. In football it plays Division I on the Playoff Subdivision also known as FCS. The difference between FBS and FCS is 85 scholarships as opposed to 63 scholarships, which the latter is what is offered at NSU.

Schools that are NOT Division I, like Division II and Division III offer 35 and no scholarships. (And there's also the NAIA with scholarship offering institutions).

I can understand a typo, but for a sports writer in BALTIMORE with a QUARTERBACK from an FCS level school (You know, Flacco) to make that mistake multiple times in the same article is just poor journalism.

Signed,

Hood

Proud graduate of Nicholls State University

Response I get:

from Hensley, Jamison <[email protected]>

Greg Hood
date Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:43 AM
subject RE: Lardarius Webb

I know the difference. It's just a different name for Division I-AA. It's not Division I football, believe me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I was maybe a little harsh with the "poor journalism" jab.

If I hit reply right now, it'll be all anger, so I'm venting to my AGS brethren. "I know the difference." "It's not division I football believe me."

9 freaking years, every single home game, multiple away games, 2 victories over Division I schools and you're going to tell me I've NOT been watching D-I games?

What an arrogant jerk.

I ought to call him a tabloid writer on par with Weekly World News. They're both newspapers.

I'm open to some diplomatic responses. I'm particularly interested in hearing from some Hen fans and Baltimore area people.

nwFL Griz
May 4th, 2009, 03:55 PM
This journalist is clearly an idiot. He says it's not Division I football, but right before that says it's I-AA. Now maybe I'm blind, but there is clearly a I in I-AA....making it Division I, no?

Even the NCAA states this is Division I, why it's even included in the NCAA Division I handbook.

There's just no dealing with stupid people.

appmaj
May 4th, 2009, 04:41 PM
We play for the Divison I championship!!! Show him the trophies!
or the NCAA's own website.

http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2008/ncaa_bracket_FCS_football.html

93henfan
May 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Let me be the first to coin the moniker: Jamison "Douchebag" Hensley.

hippy@GSU
May 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hey hon, don't youz be cuallin those teams a bad name, hon. Ill cuall the radio car oin youz guys and warsh youz guys mouths out with soap, hon.

Now Ill go and git a Natty Bo and go downy oshin, hon!

(Baltimorese)

TexasTerror
May 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM
How many FCS programs are within 30 minutes of Baltimore???

sportsfan
May 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I would guess 3..
Towson St, Delaware, Delaware St.
UMBC is another D-I school but they do not play fb

MR. CHICKEN
May 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
MORGAN STATE/TOWSON....xnodx....AWK!

DIS WRITER IS WHAAAA.......YA ONLY BELIEVE....1/2...O' WHAT....YA READ.....xeyebrowx....DOODLES!!

MR. CHICKEN
May 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM

MORGAN STATE/TOWSON.............xnodx..............BRAWK/OBAMA!!

Tribe4SF
May 5th, 2009, 05:07 AM
The Div. I gaffe is common. What brands this guy as clueless is referencing Mel Kiper's opinion.

HensRock
May 5th, 2009, 07:39 AM
It's common mistake. Fighting it is like pissing in the wind.
Hood, you even made the mistake yourself in your post:

... 2 victories over Division I schools ...

Only 2?
I count 34 Division I victories for Nicholls State in the past 9 years.
xsmiley_wix

andy7171
May 5th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Hensley is on the radio here too. A complete douchebag.

I would guess 3..

xconfusedxxrolleyesx

89Hen
May 5th, 2009, 07:52 AM
What an arrogant jerk.
I'm going to piss off Andy, but this is a second city inferiority thing. I've seen it time and time again by writers for smaller papers in smaller cities. I wouldn't let it bother you hood. xpeacex

89Hen
May 5th, 2009, 07:55 AM

I would guess 3..
If you expand to 45 minutes you get Towson, Morgan, Delaware, DelSt, Georgetown and Howard. xpeacex

andy7171
May 5th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I'm going to piss off Andy, but this is a second city inferiority thing. I've seen it time and time again by writers for smaller papers in smaller cities. I wouldn't let it bother you hood. xpeacex

Baltimore DEFINATELY has an inferiority complex, annoyingly so. But I am from Washington, so I don't give an F.

The Sun is reduced to two 5-7 page sections. Pathetic.

89Hen
May 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Baltimore DEFINATELY has an inferiority complex, annoyingly so. But I am from Washington, so I don't give an F.

And I really should have been more specific. It's the writers in the large, smaller cities that often have the problem. If you write a person at the Frederick News-Post, they're just happy to have somebody write them. They know they work for a small town paper and don't get all uppity like the DB in question. The guy in Long Island is notorious.

andy7171
May 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM
And I really should have been more specific. It's the writers in the large, smaller cities that often have the problem. If you write a person at the Frederick News-Post, they're just happy to have somebody write them. They know they work for a small town paper and don't get all uppity like the DB in question. The guy in Long Island is notorious.

Thing is Hensley worked for The Carroll County Times for years, he recently got hired by the Sun after they laid off 60-70 people. He's a hack.

IaaScribe
May 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Blame Tribune, which owns the Sun, for that andy. Sam Zell and slashing and burning every newspaper he owns from Baltimore to Hartford to the L.A. Times. It's sad.

andy7171
May 5th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Blame Tribune, which owns the Sun, for that andy. Sam Zell and slashing and burning every newspaper he owns from Baltimore to Hartford to the L.A. Times. It's sad.

While that has a lot to do with it, The Sun has been been blatantly in the back pocket of certain government officials. They pick and choose what they write about and what they don't.

The Wire was spot on.

IaaScribe
May 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
So you're saying Carcetti bought his press coverage? :)

andy7171
May 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
So you're saying Carcetti bought his press coverage? :)

xlolx

No O'Malley didn't even have to pay for it. Wait! Did I say O'Malley? I meant Carcetti.:D

LBPop
May 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Arguing with an idiot never really solves anything. And the silly thing about this ongoing slight by much of the media is that it's mostly about semantics. I-AA football is Division I football by definition--it's not up for discussion. But if someone wants to make the case that I-AA football is generally not played at the same level of I-A, that really cannot be reasonably argued either.

I have been a I-AA fan now for about six years and early on I used to be bothered by this kind of stuff. But after getting to know the kind of kids that play at this level and after being able to follow a real championship tournament each season, I have decided to let these ignorant people remain ignorant. I follow both levels of football avidly and I love them both for what they are. The names don't matter to me anymore.

bluehenbillk
May 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Arguing with an idiot never really solves anything. And the silly thing about this ongoing slight by much of the media is that it's mostly about semantics. I-AA football is Division I football by definition--it's not up for discussion. But if someone wants to make the case that I-AA football is generally not played at the same level of I-A, that really cannot be reasonably argued either.

I have been a I-AA fan now for about six years and early on I used to be bothered by this kind of stuff. But after getting to know the kind of kids that play at this level and after being able to follow a real championship tournament each season, I have decided to let these ignorant people remain ignorant. I follow both levels of football avidly and I love them both for what they are. The names don't matter to me anymore.

Some of you guys amuse me. You can define 1-AA football (not calling it FCS here) as D-1, but for the vast majority of the country, they look at 1-A as D-1. Cmon now, even the CAA pales in comparison with the SEC & all the BCS league schools so stop acting all insulted, We're the second tier, plain & simple.