PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Depth

jstclmet
May 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I was preparing to do a "CAA FORECAST" starting with William & Mary, and I noticed a number of their opponents are an injury away from a .500 or worse season, which got me to thinking about team depth in FCS.

How do you feel about your team's depth. Do you share the opinion that your team may be an injury away from a .500 or worse season. Or is your team on the opposite side of the coin where you have an abundance of depth.

As for Nova, I'm of the opinion their pretty strong with their starting units, however, depth is a very huge concern at the QB, DL, LB spots. While other positions have depth, they don't have a lot of experience. Hopefully, the incoming freshman class can put some of that anxiety to rest.

I'll get back to that "CAA Forecast" in the coming weeks.

achrist70
May 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I voted for Special teams because of the fact that we really don't have a punter with any experience, and a new holder. The secondary might be inexperienced but there are a lot of people at the same talent level. All other positions have a lot of players with experience I think that UNI might be one of the deepest teams in FCS.

already123
May 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
no depth at quarterback, K/P, and RB. We are also breaking in a relatively new secondary

89Hen
May 4th, 2009, 11:56 AM
QB and OL most definitely.

OL FU
May 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Receivers, really hurt last yearxnodx

Maybe some defensive positions, will take a look and get back to you.

or hope one of the other Furman posters gets to this before I doxlolx

ngineer
May 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I voted for OL for Lehigh. The line seems to be improving, but it takes time to jell as a unit and a serious injury can effect the efficiency with guys moving to new positions.

ValleyChamp
May 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I voted for Special teams because of the fact that we really don't have a punter with any experience, and a new holder. The secondary might be inexperienced but there are a lot of people at the same talent level. All other positions have a lot of players with experience I think that UNI might be one of the deepest teams in FCS.

Billy Hallgren couldn't kick a footall into the ocean from a boat in the spring.

BEAR
May 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I'd say the OL, but Conque has brought in some high school OL kids that haven't had the chance to show what they can do yet. He's typically very good at recruiting OL for the QB, so I can't imagine that will be a depth issue for long..but for now the defense is looking great because of it! xlolx

(O.K. they know the playbook...but it shouldn't stop the Oline from stopping them from crossing over!)

BEAR
May 4th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Billy Hallgren couldn't kick a footall into the ocean from a boat in the spring.

Here you go Valley...from the UCA -SHSU football game last October, via the LogCabin Democrat in Conway.

Out of timeouts, the Bearkats' only chance at victory was to recover an onside kick. Unfortunately for them, place-kicker Taylor Wilkins apparently overdid getting the right touch and the ball trickled sideways right down the 30-yard line. Like a golf putt nicely on line, it went out of bounds on the SHSU sideline on the 31 as the Bearkat coaches grimaced and put their arms over their heads.

He kicked it straight down the line and he was about in the middle of the field! OUCH! Kicker are an asset sometimes xnodx...sometimes to the other teams! xlolx

achrist70
May 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM

That might be true but I think that our backup kicker is better than the kickers on 95% of FCS teams.

technocat
May 4th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I said receiver. Right now we have one on our roster that has shown he can be a consistent threat. Last year he went down and our passing game pretty much ceased to exist.

jmufan999
May 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
easy one for me.... JMU is thin at DB without a doubt.

we've had an all-american safety each of the last five years (lezotte, haywood). but we're very thin at CB in my opinion. there is talk that Scotty McGee will be our #1 CB. well, unless he has drastically improved in the offseason, that's going to be a problem. he's not very physical at all and doesn't seem to track the ball that well in the air. also doesn't seem to be a fantastic leaper. haven't seen it yet, anyway. that could prove to be a very tricky area for us. front 7 should be fine. offense should be fine, i'm a big Dudzik fan at QB.

footballer23
May 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
It's kind of tricky up here at NDSU... we only have one healthy "QB" on the roster, so losing him would hurt... kinda. It's a catch-22- he does make a lot of bad decisions.

jmufan999
May 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM
front 6, excuse me (4-2-5 defense).

McNeese75
May 4th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Definitly QB for McNeese this year. We will have a 4 year starter in place but if something happens to him we will be scrambling as the backups have very limited playing experience.

BossEagle
May 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
The O-Line, i'm thinking. Some returning freshmen but not alot of experience, really good at WR and QB, OHHH and the Dline's lacking this year, LB & secondary return alot.

UNHFootballAlum
May 5th, 2009, 11:11 AM
inexperienced OL and a no experienec behind RJ Toman

blukeys
May 5th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I voted OL and it looks as if all of FCS has that problem. One needs 10 decent players for a solid 2 deep on the OL and it looks as if the scolly limit hits all of us.

McNeese72
May 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Definitly QB for McNeese this year. We will have a 4 year starter in place but if something happens to him we will be scrambling as the backups have very limited playing experience.

Beau Lasseigne looked good in spring workouts and the Spring Game. The coaches were pleased with his play.

Doc

jstclmet
May 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I voted OL and it looks as if all of FCS has that problem. One needs 10 decent players for a solid 2 deep on the OL and it looks as if the scolly limit hits all of us.

From the responses so far, it seems there is a bigger need at OL than QB, who would've thunk it.

I guess you can teach an athlete to play QB (well, except maybe @ UD xsmiley_wix),
but you can't teach an athlete to be 6'4, 325 and downright nasty.

Eaglesrus
May 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM
The O-Line, i'm thinking. Some returning freshmen but not alot of experience, really good at WR and QB, OHHH and the Dline's lacking this year, LB & secondary return alot.

I would reverse the order and mention the D-line first and then the O-line. We do have seniors Dunmon, Loving, Fountain and Barker back on offense, I think that Maxwell and Petkovich got a good bit of playing time last year, and Flowers has at least been around the program for a couple of years. I feel good about all other areas, including WR, though some people think there is cause for concern there.

Hoyadestroya85
May 5th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Villanova it's definitely QB.. if whitney gets hurt, we're royally screwed

McNeese75
May 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Beau Lasseigne looked good in spring workouts and the Spring Game. The coaches were pleased with his play.

Doc

I thought he looked pretty good as well but the lack of experience concerns me. But who knows, he could come out like an all star. xnodx