PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Predictions

gvilleapp
May 3rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Sitting in a trailer at a plant shutdown in Jesup, GA and I need a diversion. Didn't see a thread about SoCon picks so here goes. Feel free to rip me apart.

1. App State, 10-1, 8-0 Tough game at ECU, but should be competitive. I sure hope so. ECU and NCSU have the guts to play us, unlike other in-state FBS, most notalbly the Tar Heels and Deacons, so for that I salute them. Apps biggest in conference challege should be Wofford on the road, Oct. 17th. Thankfully, it should be cooler than the game there is '07. That is the hottest I've ever been at a sporting event. Furman on the road will be tough too. Could be most talented App team ever.

2. Wofford, 8-3, 7-1 Tough OOC, but I think Wofford can make it thru the SoCon with only one loss. Will be a knock down against Furman as FU tries to climb up the ladder. Must replace Romero, but Britenstein looked good for them at times last year.

3. Furman, 7-4, 6-2 A senior QB with lots of talented recruiting classes for several years now. Bobby Lamb needs to have a big year to stick around and I think he pulls it off and possibly sneaks into the playoffs. OOC against Auburn and Mizzou are brutal.

4. Samford, 8-3, 5-3 Big shock last year. Sullivan seems to have it going on. Can't see them beating the three teams above, but I know they played App tough in '08 so you never know.

5. Elon, 6-5, 4-4 Riddle is back, but I'm still not sold on them. They probably will have to pull upset against App in 10th game to make the playoffs.

6 Georgia Southern, 6-5, 3-5 Eagles always have tons and talent and I think they have the right man in charge. From what I've been hearing they may be a year away. Nice OOC game against North Carolina. Anyone else think it's funny that UNC will schedule GSU and The Citadel, but doesn't want anything to do with App?

7. The Citadel, 3-8, 2-6 I thought '08 was going to be a breakout year for the Dogs, but they faded mid-season. Blanchard and Roberts are a great QB/Receiver combo and could both have big years. Tough OOC games against North Carolina and Princeton. They could surprise me and beat Princeton and maybe sneak in another couple conference wins to have a winning season which would be big for this program that is struggling to re-build it's fan base.

8. Western Carolina, 3-8, 1-7 I know they are getting better under Wagoner, but I can't see them beating anyone in the league except UTC. Tough game against Vandy to open the year.

9. UTC 2-9, 0-8 UTC has a great stadium, is locating in a HS talent rich area, but the previous coaches have not gotten it done. It may start to change this year, but I doubt it.

Reign of Terrier
May 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
App 10-1--there loaded
Wofford--9-2 with losses to App (by less than 20) and USF
Everybody else

hippy@GSU
May 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Georgia Southern - 15-0. Write it down!

I'm serious

BarefootApp
May 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
No, you're not.

BarefootApp
May 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
More importantly, gville, best of luck regarding the plant closing. That is a tough deal.

gvilleapp
May 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
More importantly, gville, best of luck regarding the plant closing. That is a tough deal.

Bad choice of words on my part, I work for a contractor and we're part of a maintenance shutdown at Rayonier Paper in Jesup, they are still very much in business. Hopefully they will stay that way.

It's pretty down here, but the gnats and other flying critters are amazing. Must be all the swamp land.

BarefootApp
May 3rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
good.

blueballs
May 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Bad choice of words on my part, I work for a contractor and we're part of a maintenance shutdown at Rayonier Paper in Jesup, they are still very much in business. Hopefully they will stay that way.

It's pretty down here, but the gnats and other flying critters are amazing. Must be all the swamp land.

That plant is huge and just stinks to all be damned... is the river still overflowing like it was at Easter?

EagleGus2 lives only about 10 minutes from there and my coast house is only about 25 minutes from there.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
GSU 7-1...my optomistic/homer pick (why not?). Hatcher will have the offense going. Also, Hatcher seems to be better at winning SoCon games on the road (compare 2-6 to 6-1) and will make it two in a row in Boone, Spartanburg, and get his first win over Elon :o(loss: either Furman or Samford) Yeah, I know I shouldn't pick a loss to Furman but the team that's doing better tends to lose the GSU/Furman game.

App. State 6-2...ASU is improved but won't run the table. They are past due for a loss to Furman and will lose to GSU at the rock (losses: Furman, GSU)

Wofford 5-3...ankle-biters scare the pants off of UW and USF (and possibly even win) but will fall short of the playoffs this year unless they can be the first team to win two FBS games in a season. (losses: GSU, ASU, and one other by any team other than Chatty)

Furman 5-3...will be better this year, but 2 tough FBS games keep them out of the playoffs (losses: any 3 teams not including Chatty and ASU, as I already picked them to beat ASU)

The Citadel 4-4...IMO the most improved team second to GSU. They will light up some scoreboards this year (losses: GSU, ASU, any other pair of teams not including Chatty)

Samford 4-4...will be imrproved but will end with same SoCon record as last year (losses: ASU, any other set of four teams not including GSU)

Elon 3-5...good talent, but having your third OC in 3 years will make it very hard for them (losses: GSU, ASU, and any three teams that does not have Chatty in it)

Western 2-6...will be improved, but still won't be able to match the firepower of the SoCon (losses: GSU, ASU, and any four teams not involving Chatty)

Chatty 0-8...They'll lose every game, but won't be kicked around like last year (losses: everyone)

SideLine Shooter
May 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Elon wins National Championship!

CID1990
May 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Not sure how beating Princeton will be a surprise. Also not sure what is meant by struggling to rebuild our fan base. Also not sure what planet you are from.

We'll just leave it at that for now. No predictions.

blitz4
May 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
1. App/Wofford winner
2. App/Wofford loser
3. Elon
4. Sam
5. GSU
6. Cit
6. Furman
7. Western
8. Chatt

I don't see a team going through the league without a loss.

gophoenix
May 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
People don't have to be sold on Elon. The same thing has been said for two seasons now.

Honestly, I think GSU, App, Wofford, Elon, Samford, Furman, The Citadel are just too close to call and as usual, like for the past two seasons, they'll beat up on each other and screw each other out of the playoffs. I also think that Western is going to be a player this year. They won't compete for the top, but they are going to pull upsets setting up for 8 of the 9 teams to be players for the next seasons to come.

I don't see anyone going through the league without a loss. Though, I think it is possible UTC goes without a win this time around.

catamount man
May 3rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
I have no prediction. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
May 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
I think Furman suprises one of the two FBS schools. The Paladins, historically, play FBS schools as tough as any team in the FCS. Auburn is rebuilding (though still stout on defense) and Missou lost most of its offensive playmakers. I think the Paladins will hang around in both games.

App still is the winner until they are unseated. They might have a tougher row to hoe with more tough road games than usual.

WCU LawCat
May 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM
It should be a fun season in Cullowhee. Wagner took an 0-11 D-II team and went 7-4 in his 2nd season. What will he do at Western in 2009?

PaladinFan
May 4th, 2009, 07:11 AM
It should be a fun season in Cullowhee. Wagner took an 0-11 D-II team and went 7-4 in his 2nd season. What will he do at Western in 2009?

I was impressed by what I saw out of the Catamounts last season at Furman. They looked quite a deal better than I remember them being in years. I don't think Western is going to emerge as a conference front runner, but I think they could be good enough to upset a team or two.

Saint3333
May 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM

I see WCU winning 2 conference games maybe 3, still a season away from challenging the mid-tier SoCon teams.

PhoenixPhan06
May 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Sure having a new OC for the third year in a row will be tough, but thats what spring and summer ball is for. You can count Elon out all season if you want, but the talent hasn't gone anywhere. The offense has too many weapons with Riddle at QB, Hudgins leading a strong receiver core, and a stable of RB's led by Brandon Newsome. Throw in a senior laden defense with big play makers coming back and I see Elon finishing no less than tied for 2nd. With that said,

1) ASU: 8-0
2) Elon: 7-1; Loss to ASU
3) Wofford: 6-2; Losses to ASU, Elon
4) Furman: 4-4; Losses to ASU, Elon, Wofford, Samford
4) Samford: 4-4; Losses to ASU, Elon, Wofford, GSU
4) GSU: 4-4; Losses to ASU, Elon, Wofford, Furman
7) WCU: 2-6; Wins against Citadel, Chatty
8) Citadel: 1-7; Only win against Chatty
9) Chatty: 0-8; Atleast theres basketball

PaladinFan
May 4th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Sure having a new OC for the third year in a row will be tough, but thats what spring and summer ball is for. You can count Elon out all season if you want, but the talent hasn't gone anywhere. The offense has too many weapons with Riddle at QB, Hudgins leading a strong receiver core, and a stable of RB's led by Brandon Newsome. Throw in a senior laden defense with big play makers coming back and I see Elon finishing no less than tied for 2nd. With that said,

8) Citadel: 1-8; Only win against Chatty
9) Chatty: 0-9 Atleast theres basketball

Elon still has yet to get over the hump and win the big games late in the season. This might be the year, though.

appmaj
May 4th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Looks good to me xthumbsupx

OL FU
May 4th, 2009, 11:01 AM

4) Furman: 4-4; Losses to ASU, Elon, Wofford, Samford4) Samford: 4-4; Losses to ASU, Elon, Wofford, GSU

Sure is going to suck watching the home games this yearxlolx

OL FU
May 4th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I think 4-4 is possible for Furman I think 5-3 is a little more likely. Even though it is a tough home stretch, I don't see Furman losing every home conference game. I'll take beating Samford at home and we will beat one of the other three (WC, ASU, EU). Not really making an official prediction because I haven't thought that much about it. But at present I would have 5-3 and 6-5 overall for FU.

elon77
May 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I think 4-4 is possible for Furman I think 5-3 is a little more likely. Even though it is a tough home stretch, I don't see Furman losing every home conference game. I'll take beating Samford at home and we will beat one of the other three (WC, ASU, EU). Not really making an official prediction because I haven't thought that much about it. But at present I would have 5-3 and 6-5 overall for FU.

Will the natives be restless at 6-5 or 5-6 ?xconfusedx

OL FU
May 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Will the natives be restless at 6-5 or 5-6 ?xconfusedx

xlolxThe natives are already restlessxnodx

I have mixed emotions. Certainly we are off our best. But I don't want to be one of those schools that fires a coach that has never had a losing season, been rated in the top 5 two times and been to the playoffs 50% of the time. Plus the AD loaded up the schedule with two BCS schools and Lamb has always been a Paladin.

Personally , I think 6-5 might end his coaching career but I hope not. 5-6 is probably 50/50. worse than that and he is out. IMHO.

The big question is where do we go? I don't think Napier would leave Clemson would be too much of a pay cut. Debusk has done ok in DII. Maybe we would go outside the Furman family for the first time in a long time. Let's hope we don't have to make that decision.

PaladinFan
May 4th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I am of the impression that Lamb would walk away before Furman let him go, and not because Furman is going to sit on its hands. Lamb has given the last 25 years to the school, I'm sure he's not interested in watching the program decay on his watch.

I don't think things are that bad off, though. Furman still graduates something like 98% of its players, recruits just as well as anyone, and has had three players drafted in the last four years to the NFL. Lamb overhauled the offense AND defense last year in an effort to modernize the team. The defense was second best in the conference last year, and I'm expecting good things from the offense with the return of every skill player. If the fates align, and RJ Webb is healthy for a season, this Paladin team will be right in the mix.

ASUG8
May 4th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Sure is going to suck watching the home games this yearxlolx

I'll be with you for one of them - I'll bring the Boone's Farm and Velveeta. xsmiley_wix

OL FU
May 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I am of the impression that Lamb would walk away before Furman let him go, and not because Furman is going to sit on its hands. Lamb has given the last 25 years to the school, I'm sure he's not interested in watching the program decay on his watch.

I don't think things are that bad off, though. Furman still graduates something like 98% of its players, recruits just as well as anyone, and has had three players drafted in the last four years to the NFL. Lamb overhauled the offense AND defense last year in an effort to modernize the team. The defense was second best in the conference last year, and I'm expecting good things from the offense with the return of every skill player. If the fates align, and RJ Webb is healthy for a season, this Paladin team will be right in the mix.

I hope you are right on both counts. I would hate to see Furman fall farther and I would hate to see the administration make what I think would be a rash decision on Lamb. xnodx

Woof
May 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I hope you are right on both counts. I would hate to see Furman fall farther and I would hate to see the administration make what I think would be a rash decision on Lamb. xnodx

"Rash" and "Furman"...two words that connote the need for ointment !xlolxxlolxxlolx

I know, I know...belongs on Smack, but OL FU really misses my witty reparte during the off-season and that one was just too easy to resist.

GATA
May 4th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I'm positive that Chattanooga will finish last.

OL FU
May 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
"Rash" and "Furman"...two words that connote the need for ointment !xlolxxlolxxlolx

I know, I know...belongs on Smack, but OL FU really misses my witty reparte during the off-season and that one was just too easy to resist.

Leave my ankes alone:pxlolx

PaladinFan
May 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Well, in my view, it comes with the burden of being a small liberal arts college playing this level of football. Lamb has been phenomenal in many of the areas that count to Furman administration, quality student athletes. I mean, William Middleton just got drafted by Atlanta and he was heading to medical school for pete's sake.

Furman fans aren't blood thirsty. However, they do get riled up when they feel like a team is performing under capability. He has talent to work with and talent coming in. Eventually, someone has got to say "coach, you got probably the third most talented roster in the conference, why not start picking up a few more wins every year."

OL FU
May 4th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Well, in my view, it comes with the burden of being a small liberal arts college playing this level of football. Lamb has been phenomenal in many of the areas that count to Furman administration, quality student athletes. I mean, William Middleton just got drafted by Atlanta and he was heading to medical school for pete's sake.

Furman fans aren't blood thirsty. However, they do get riled up when they feel like a team is performing under capability. He has talent to work with and talent coming in. Eventually, someone has got to say "coach, you got probably the third most talented roster in the conference, why not start picking up a few more wins every year."

Not to change the thread topic but I suppose it is related. Don't disagree. I remember Satterfield and how tough that was but the program had clearly fallen off very quickly. There is no doubt we are down from where we were. I think if this year is worse than 6-5 ( I hope it is better) then the consideration becomes more justified. I suppose I am favorably pre-disposed toward a guy with purple in his veins. :o

As I said, let's hope we don't have to worry about itxthumbsupx

appmaj
May 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I'm positive that Chattanooga will finish last.

Finally..Something we can all agree on!!!!

Reign of Terrier
May 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
xlolxThe natives are already restlessxnodx

I have mixed emotions. Certainly we are off our best. But I don't want to be one of those schools that fires a coach that has never had a losing season, been rated in the top 5 two times and been to the playoffs 50% of the time. Plus the AD loaded up the schedule with two BCS schools and Lamb has always been a Paladin.

Personally , I think 6-5 might end his coaching career but I hope not. 5-6 is probably 50/50. worse than that and he is out. IMHO.

The big question is where do we go? I don't think Napier would leave Clemson would be too much of a pay cut. Debusk has done ok in DII. Maybe we would go outside the Furman family for the first time in a long time. Let's hope we don't have to make that decision.

You know if I get extremely bored I go on the Furman website and read the comments during the Wofford game...I laugh so hard!!!xlolxxlolx

gvilleapp
May 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM
That plant is huge and just stinks to all be damned... is the river still overflowing like it was at Easter?

EagleGus2 lives only about 10 minutes from there and my coast house is only about 25 minutes from there.

River is still high. Good seafood down here at Captain John's in Jesup and expecially The Shell House in Savannah. Have you ever eaten there?

PaladinFan
May 4th, 2009, 05:50 PM
You know if I get extremely bored I go on the Furman website and read the comments during the Wofford game...I laugh so hard!!!xlolxxlolx

you have to excuse the fan base. We just aren't used to losing to you guys, in like anything. :)

gvilleapp
May 4th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Not sure how beating Princeton will be a surprise. Also not sure what is meant by struggling to rebuild our fan base. Also not sure what planet you are from.

We'll just leave it at that for now. No predictions.

Wife's family is all Citadel grads as well as my son, a '08 grad from Charlie Co. I remember going to games at JH in the 80's where you guys had a full house and now the seats are a little over 1/2 full. I'm sure it would be cured by some 8-3 or better seasons.

I was at The Citadel/Princeton game last year and that was a very evenly matched game. Thought they may have you at halftime, but that's why they play the whole game right? Should be a bigger challenge being away from home this year.

Just hope someone shuts up that idiot band they have.

gophoenix
May 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I think this is a problem in the SoCon right now. There appear to be 8 schools that care about football. And that's not to say UTC doesn't care, but it seems clear that football comes in second at UTC to Basketball. While at the rest of the schools, football seems to be first (except maybe Samford, they seem to have a pretty well rounded women's sports program). We're all strong in other sports, but football seems to be what the rest of the school's fans care about.

With that said, someone has to be first and someone has to be last. And that is a stark reality that we as fans are going to have to get used to as long as the once weaker teams start competing mid and high tier.

So, what happens when or if App starts falling to 2nd or below? It is bound to happen again. GSU being where they are, that isn't just to blame on the administration or coaching changes. Furman where they are. The simple fact of the matter is that Elon, Samford, The Citadel and Western are coming to play and aren't content at being a bottom dweller. It is unusual for the conference in what it's been the past 20-25 years. So, what's going to have to give for us fans to be happy one year when we finish 6th instead of 2nd? Is it going to be the end of the world still, even if you're competitive every game?

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 4th, 2009, 06:36 PM
No matter what happens, there will be at the very least one disappointed fan base in the conference. There's just not as much room at the top anymore.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think we will be lucky to get two teams into the playoffs this year even though we will probably have 4 or 5 that are no worse than the worst AL bid team. Mark that down - we will be a one-bid league this year.

You know what I think the solution is? We need to either bring in some more teams into the SoCon or force those non-football playing punks in our conference to get a team. That way we can split the conference into two divsions. Then there will be more possibilities for having more teams with better records.

gophoenix
May 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM
No matter what happens, there will be at the very least one disappointed fan base in the conference. There's just not as much room at the top anymore.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think we will be lucky to get two teams into the playoffs this year even though we will probably have 4 or 5 that are no worse than the worst AL bid team. Mark that down - we will be a one-bid league this year.

You know what I think the solution is? We need to either bring in some more teams into the SoCon or force those non-football playing punks in our conference to get a team. That way we can split the conference into two divsions. Then there will be more possibilities for having more teams with better records.

Sadly, I think you're right. Davidson should be with us, end of story. I don't care if the want to fund it or not, they have a team and it is outrageous that they aren't playing with us. If the four private schools, and The Citadel, can fund teams, then Davidson can do it too. But outside of that, when you talk expansion, we always want the cream of what's out there. Right now, Liberty and Coastal aren't going to help us, they'd be right there fighting in the thick of it too. Unless you are talking about adding Presbyterian, Del State and Charleston Southern.

Baldy
May 4th, 2009, 08:19 PM
River is still high. Good seafood down here at Captain John's in Jesup and expecially The Shell House in Savannah. Have you ever eaten there?
Ewwwww...Cap't Joe's is Ok if you're looking for a Long John Silver's in a family type restaurant. The Shell House is pretty good, but if you are looking for the best seafood, you need to head to the Darien, Townsend, Eulonia, area. Sapelo Station, B&J's, Mudcat Charlie's, Skippers, etc.

PhoenixMan
May 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I would like nothing better than to predict the App vs. Elon game will be for a conference championship. Elon will have the most talent and experience since Lembo has been there this fall. HOWEVER, the way they have completely fallen apart at the end of the last two seasons prevents me from making that prediction. When all you have to do is beat Liberty and you are in the playoffs and you lose 26-3.........well, that speaks for itself in terms of getting it done when it matters. But, maybe this year we get over that hump!

SoCon48
May 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Sadly, I think you're right. Davidson should be with us, end of story. I don't care if the want to fund it or not, they have a team and it is outrageous that they aren't playing with us. If the four private schools, and The Citadel, can fund teams, then Davidson can do it too. But outside of that, when you talk expansion, we always want the cream of what's out there. Right now, Liberty and Coastal aren't going to help us, they'd be right there fighting in the thick of it too. Unless you are talking about adding Presbyterian, Del State and Charleston Southern.

UNC-Greensboro and CofC should also. Why are you leaving them out of the equation?

gophoenix
May 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM
UNC-Greensboro and CofC should also. Why are you leaving them out of the equation?

Because I just assume they both should be gone. :D

I am just not a fan of the G or CofC at all. Just feel like they should never have been admitted to the conference. The SoCon is a football conference and is strong in other sports (baseball, soccer, tennis for everyone as a whole) with or without them.

And Davidson, I just have no respect for them because they refuse to step it up and take it like a man. I mean, they could do it but won't. There's no way they could be worse than VMI was in the 90s; we were a few years ago or Elon was for the first handful of season in the conference. And the money and recruiting excuses are nothing but that, EXCUSES. They have the money. And if the Patriot teams can recruit and have good teams with great student athletes, then they could do it too. But honestly, Davidson does nothing but pipe all their money into basketball and halfway support everything else.

I really hope we stick it to them at the beginning of this season.

ElSissy
May 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I can't respect VMI for leaving the SoCon, just as you can't respect Davidson for playing football in another conference. If the VeeMees had any respect for themselves, they'd have at least one representative on AGS.

gvilleapp
May 4th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Ewwwww...Cap't Joe's is Ok if you're looking for a Long John Silver's in a family type restaurant. The Shell House is pretty good, but if you are looking for the best seafood, you need to head to the Darien, Townsend, Eulonia, area. Sapelo Station, B&J's, Mudcat Charlie's, Skippers, etc.

Where are those places? I've just had the Savannah area added to my territory and I'm still stumbling around. I know what you're saying about Cap't Joe's, but when you're working a plant shutdown that qualifies as gourmet cuisine. What about Paula Dean's place in Savannah? Is it worth the trouble to get in?

I will say I like coastal GA so far. Nice folks and pretty country.

Baldy
May 5th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Where are those places? I've just had the Savannah area added to my territory and I'm still stumbling around. I know what you're saying about Cap't Joe's, but when you're working a plant shutdown that qualifies as gourmet cuisine. What about Paula Dean's place in Savannah? Is it worth the trouble to get in?

I will say I like coastal GA so far. Nice folks and pretty country.

Lady & Sons is a tourist trap. There are plenty of other places with much better food of that style.

Those places I mentioned are in my neck of the woods, and as the crow flies not far from Jesup at all (30 minutes). IMH(biased)O, the best restaurant is Sapelo Station (I think blueballs would agree) and it is right off I-95 @ Exit 58 in McIntosh County...<5 miles from my house. The Shell House is off of exit 94 so it isn't very far at all.

http://www.sapelostation.com/index.html

If you want any more suggestions, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

gophoenix
May 5th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Lady & Sons is a tourist trap. There are plenty of other places with much better food of that style.

Those places I mentioned are in my neck of the woods, and as the crow flies not far from Jesup at all (30 minutes). IMH(biased)O, the best restaurant is Sapelo Station (I think blueballs would agree) and it is right off I-95 @ Exit 58 in McIntosh County...<5 miles from my house. The Shell House is off of exit 94 so it isn't very far at all.

http://www.sapelostation.com/index.html

If you want any more suggestions, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

I'm with Badly, those places are tourist traps (just like all the crap popular places in Charleston). There are so many better places in Savannah. Danny's on Savannah Beach Rd is about as good as anywhere i have ever been. Cheap, service sucks but the food is awesome.

JMU Newbill
May 5th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I like Elon to steal the conference this year. They have enough bulletin board material and more than enough talent coming back to be a serious contender.

People won't like this comment, but hey, no one likes JMU anyway. Haha. I think App, and AE in particular, will have a chance to get too confident, maybe borderline cocky, this year. Not saying it isn't well deserved, but let's be honest, they haven't done anything but dominate the SoCon over the last X number of years. I think this is the year another team wins the SoCon outright. With that being said, I like Elon to pull it off, with Wofford a close second. App still makes the playoffs either way.

OL FU
May 5th, 2009, 06:45 AM
you have to excuse the fan base. We just aren't used to losing to you guys, in like anything. :)

It is difficult to take. losing to an NAIA schoolxbawlingx

JMU Newbill
May 5th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Oh yea.... I forgot the precursor/disclaimer statement so I don't get pounded by the angry mob. The previous statement in no way, shape, or form is meant to say App State sucks, that they aren't good, or that I think the CAA is better than the SoCon. Does that cover all bases?

OL FU
May 5th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Oh yea.... I forgot the precursor/disclaimer statement so I don't get pounded by the angry mob. The previous statement in no way, shape, or form is meant to say App State sucks, that they aren't good, or that I think the CAA is better than the SoCon. Does that cover all bases?

But App State does suckxconfusedx

Dinman31
May 5th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Not to change the thread topic but I suppose it is related. Don't disagree. I remember Satterfield and how tough that was but the program had clearly fallen off very quickly. There is no doubt we are down from where we were. I think if this year is worse than 6-5 ( I hope it is better) then the consideration becomes more justified. I suppose I am favorably pre-disposed toward a guy with purple in his veins. :o

As I said, let's hope we don't have to worry about itxthumbsupx

Furman fans need to hope and pray that Lamb succeeds because the real problem with the football program comes from much higher than Lamb. The administration has done very little to support this program recently and will most definitely go with a cheap out of the Furman family choice if they get rid of Lamb.

Forget the academic standards, until Lamb gets to work with anything close to the resources that ASU, GSU, Elon or Samford have I think it is unfair to criticize a coach who has never finished worse than 6-5 in eight seasons.

OL FU
May 5th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Furman fans need to hope and pray that Lamb succeeds because the real problem with the football program comes from much higher than Lamb. The administration has done very little to support this program recently and will most definitely go with a cheap out of the Furman family choice if they get rid of Lamb.

Forget the academic standards, until Lamb gets to work with anything close to the resources that ASU, GSU, Elon or Samford have I think it is unfair to criticize a coach who has never finished worse than 6-5 in eight seasons.

Good points and I agree.

Just for the record, my comments were based on conversations with other fans. They are not my opinion. My opinion is that Lamb should stay (and as with any issue, subject to further review). I support not only his football accomplishments but the academic acocmplishments of his players.

Eaglesrus
May 5th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I'm with Badly, those places are tourist traps (just like all the crap popular places in Charleston). There are so many better places in Savannah. Danny's on Savannah Beach Rd is about as good as anywhere i have ever been. Cheap, service sucks but the food is awesome.

Danny's is one that I've never heard of and I've lived in Savannah all my life; guess I need to look it up. Until very recently I would have said that Love's on Highway 17 just east of Richmond Hill on the Ogeechee River is the best seafood for the price in the Savannah area, but they changed their menu a little and the last couple of visits I've been a little disappointed.

I'm with Baldy on The Lady and Sons. Our office windows look right down on that place and we often remark about the suckers lined up outside waiting to get in so that they can pay too much for what is at best an average meal, though personally I would rate it below average, and I hate to say that because I think that Paula Dean has done a lot for the city.

If you are looking for a more upscale setting for seafood in Savannah I would suggest you try Pearl's Salt Water Grille.

Eaglesrus
May 5th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Oh, and this being a SoCon prediction thread, somebody will win and somebody will lose and the rest will fall somewhere between those two. Seriously, though I think that App State and Wofford should be considered the favorites, I also believe that this is another year that will continue a trend toward any one of at least six teams having a shot. To me there are just more questions about Elon, Furman, The Citadel and GSU, and it depends on how those questions get answered. How's that for going out on a limb?

gophoenix
May 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Danny's is one that I've never heard of and I've lived in Savannah all my life; guess I need to look it up. Until very recently I would have said that Love's on Highway 17 just east of Richmond Hill on the Ogeechee River is the best seafood for the price in the Savannah area, but they changed their menu a little and the last couple of visits I've been a little disappointed.

I'm with Baldy on The Lady and Sons. Our office windows look right down on that place and we often remark about the suckers lined up outside waiting to get in so that they can pay too much for what is at best an average meal, though personally I would rate it below average, and I hate to say that because I think that Paula Dean has done a lot for the city.

If you are looking for a more upscale setting for seafood in Savannah I would suggest you try Pearl's Salt Water Grille.

My mom used to live there, and every time we went to SAvannah, this is a place we went to. I want to say Danny's, maybe not. It's on the road going out to Savannah Beach not terribly far from Fort Pulaski. It is on a road that used to have a draw bridge, with the new road being a taller bridge sort of above the road so you see the roof of the restaurant. I remember it being quite popular with the locals.

Eaglesrus
May 5th, 2009, 08:35 AM
My mom used to live there, and every time we went to SAvannah, this is a place we went to. I want to say Danny's, maybe not. It's on the road going out to Savannah Beach not terribly far from Fort Pulaski. It is on a road that used to have a draw bridge, with the new road being a taller bridge sort of above the road so you see the roof of the restaurant. I remember it being quite popular with the locals.

I think you might be talking about Williams' Seafood, which was an institution locally, but went down hill after the founding couple and their children were no longer able to participate in the operation. It burned down a number of years ago. My mother used to have to call ahead and ask them to fry some chicken because my brother wouldn't eat any seafood but that was all they had on the menu for years.

gophoenix
May 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM
William's, that's it! It burned down?!?!? That is a crying shame!!!

SideLine Shooter
May 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I like Elon to steal the conference this year. They have enough bulletin board material and more than enough talent coming back to be a serious contender.

People won't like this comment, but hey, no one likes JMU anyway. Haha. I think App, and AE in particular, will have a chance to get too confident, maybe borderline cocky, this year. Not saying it isn't well deserved, but let's be honest, they haven't done anything but dominate the SoCon over the last X number of years. I think this is the year another team wins the SoCon outright. With that being said, I like Elon to pull it off, with Wofford a close second. App still makes the playoffs either way.

I don't think a 3rd place SoCon team can get into the playoffs with the powers that be. Like I said before, Elon wins the National championship if their heads don't get in there way.
Chatty will hate that unless thay are playing App St for the title.xnodxxnodx

Eaglesrus
May 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
William's, that's it! It burned down?!?!? That is a crying shame!!!

Yeah, many thought the circumstances of the fire were questionable, particularly in view of the decline in business, but it was declared an accident. Most of the property is now a parking lot for a casino boat operation.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2009, 09:09 AM

After losing to Richmond last year I believe this ASU team will be as hungry as ever.

Saint3333
May 5th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I don't think a 3rd place SoCon team can get into the playoffs with the powers that be. Like I said before, Elon wins the National championship if their heads don't get in there way.
Chatty will hate that unless thay are playing App St for the title.xnodxxnodx

Elon has improved, but a team that has never made the playoffs wins the national title?

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 5th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Pretty much. Once when I went there with family for a special occasion, we waited close to an hour to be seated. Their selection was terrible, and while the salad I ordered wasn't inedible, I could honestly get a better salad at Burger King. There's a locally owned place in Statesboro that has a buffet that's better than their buffet, too. It's also expensive (about $20 per person, too).

The problem with Elon is that they are having their third OC in three years. Wouldn't be a big deal if the OC duties were shared with Lembo, but as I understand it the OC takes full responsibility for the offense (correct me if I am wrong).

gophoenix
May 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Lembo shared it last year. May be part of why we saw a dual attack rather than a pure passing team.

SoCon48
May 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Lembo shared it last year. May be part of why we saw a dual attack rather than a pure passing team.

Coach L is a heck of a recruiter. It appears he has come up with a more balanced attack to take the presure off Ritter.

terrierbob
May 5th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, many thought the circumstances of the fire were questionable, particularly in view of the decline in business, but it was declared an accident. Most of the property is now a parking lot for a casino boat operation.

And an ugly-assed casino boat at that. Grey and black-- it looks like a floating smoking lounge.

My SoCon predictions:

App
GaSo.
Wofford
Elon
Furman
THE Citadel
Samford
WC
Chatty

App still has AE, GaSo's losses were all by one or two points (I think). Wofford is rebuilding our OL, and we lose Romero and Andy Strickland. Breitenstein at FB may be as big of a hoss, though. WC will lose two conference games, lose to USF and the Badgers, and finish 7-4. Anything over that's great coaching and luck. Elon seemed to fade after running close with App. REALLY wish we could beat App this year, though.

PhoenixPhan06
May 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Coach L is a heck of a recruiter. It appears he has come up with a more balanced attack to take the presure off Ritter.

He's done well to really shape the team into a more complete ball club. The OL that he's brought in over the years will pay dividends this season while protecting All-American candidate Scott Riddle at QB. Look for the DL to really step it up this year and once again, we have a solid linebacking core lead by Brandon Wiggins and Josh Jones.

Woof
May 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM

You are either floating down that big river in Egypt (De Nial) or you don't read anything more than the comics...Just to bring you up to speed, here is a brief summary of the past year's Wofford - Furman events you may have missed whilst in your Furple Haze:

Football: 45-20 (2007) and 35-10 (2008)

Basketball: 85-82 and 80-55

Baseball: Wofford took 2 of 3 in our only series

So by "like anything" we are left to assume you meant things like ball room dancing, synchronized swimming and other insignificant competitions in which our Mighty Terriers do not compete.xcoffeex

OL FU
May 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
You are either floating down that big river in Egypt (De Nial) or you don't read anything more than the comics...Just to bring you up to speed, here is a brief summary of the past year's Wofford - Furman events you may have missed whilst in your Furple Haze:

So by "like anything" we are left to assume you meant things like ball room dancing, synchronized swimming and other insignificant competitions in which our Mighty Terriers do not compete.xcoffeex

I think he has a memory longer than one (or two) year(s)xnodxxsmiley_wix

terrierbob
May 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I think he has a memory longer than one (or two) year(s)xnodxxsmiley_wix

We Terriers are sensitive creatures.

OL FU
May 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM
We Terriers are sensitive creatures.

But determinedxnodx
http://littlebeasts.com/assets/archive06/pod36.jpg

terrierbob
May 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
But determinedxnodx

xlolx

CID1990
May 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM
His eyes are wide open because his pecker is caught.

Woof
May 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
But determinedxnodx

Nice ! Tried to give you some reppys, but was told I have to spread them around more ? What's the world coming to when even our donation of reppys are regulated ?...oh well, maybe that TARP check the Prez promised you for having to wear purple will arrive soon. xpeacex

T-Dog
May 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
but hey, no one likes JMU anyway. Haha.

There's a reason for that. xcoffeex

but let's be honest, they haven't done anything but dominate the SoCon over the last X number of years.

This is the aforementioned reason. A comment so asinine only a JMU fan could have made it. xnodx

And before you say "I meant 1 year", it says "years" in the original comment, which means it includes at least one year which App won a Title (and beat JMU along with most the CAA South)

mcveyrl
May 5th, 2009, 05:00 PM
There's a reason for that. xcoffeex

This is the aforementioned reason. A comment so asinine only a JMU fan could have made it. xnodx

And before you say "I meant 1 year", it says "years" in the original comment, which means it includes at least one year which App won a Title (and beat JMU along with most the CAA South)

I think by "haven't done anything" he meant they have not really struggled against the SoCon when AE is healthy (like a superiority figure of speech), since he was also talking about ASU possibly getting cokcy. But if he meant it any other way you're right, it completely ignores the national championships, which I don't think he was doing.

Didn't we do SoCon predictions a while back? I can remember pissing off some Samford fans...I'm not posting mine again, because I'm sure I won't post the same as before.

JMU Newbill
May 6th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Wow... I won't even comment

JMU Newbill
May 6th, 2009, 06:15 AM
let me rephrase what i said to appease an idiot like t-dog.....

uhhh... i like hunting and fishing... app state is awesome... they will win the socon again this year lol xoxo!!!!!

OL FU
May 6th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I think by "haven't done anything" he meant they have not really struggled against the SoCon when AE is healthy (like a superiority figure of speech), since he was also talking about ASU possibly getting cokcy. But if he meant it any other way you're right, it completely ignores the national championships, which I don't think he was doing.

Didn't we do SoCon predictions a while back? I can remember pissing off some Samford fans...I'm not posting mine again, because I'm sure I won't post the same as before.

What's the big deal? For three years running they dominated FCSxconfusedx

JMU Newbill
May 6th, 2009, 07:33 AM
which is what i was saying....

mcveyrl
May 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM
What's the big deal? For three years running they dominated FCSxconfusedx

Samford?? xconfusedx;)

The big deal was T-Dog jumped all over him and assumed what he said was a slight. I was just trying to mediate and play interpreter. He didn't mean any disrespect to ASU, and was just noting that they dominated the SoCon and predicting some overconfidence (which I disagree with).

I'm the rare breed: A Tennessee hillbilly that went to JMU. It's like being bilingual but cooler.xpeacex

OL FU
May 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Samford?? xconfusedx;)

The big deal was T-Dog jumped all over him and assumed what he said was a slight. I was just trying to mediate and play interpreter. He didn't mean any disrespect to ASU, and was just noting that they dominated the SoCon and predicting some overconfidence (which I disagree with).

I'm the rare breed: A Tennessee hillbilly that went to JMU. It's like being bilingual but cooler.xpeacex

He should feel free to slight ASU at every opportunityxnodx

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM

Which is completely consistent with what I said. Go back more than two years and check scores. Up until the 2007 game Mike Ayers was something like 1-11-1 against Furman. I remember sitting in a basketball game against Wofford maybe three or four years ago and hearing "Worse than Erskine" cheers from the FU students (I think we were up by somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 points).

Wofford has turned it around on us recently, completely true. But I was talking about going back a bit. Furman has owned most of the sports between the two schools for the better part of the last 15 years. Ergo, most Furman fans aren't used to losing to Wofford.

edit: Found the basketball game I was referring to. In 2004 Furman beat Wofford 91-55 in Greenville, a week after we'd beaten Erskine 89-51. I don't have to tell you how mediocre FU baskeball is, either.

Laserlips
May 6th, 2009, 01:55 PM

gvilleapp:

Don't guess you've noticed the smelly plant is located right by the Altamaha River, which of course has swamplands all around it?

If you think the "gnats and other flying critters" are bad in Jesup, spend a weekend at the pricey St.Simons Is., or Amelia Island Plantation resort. (Fernindina,Fl.). At least in Jesup after you've been besieged by the hoards of flying biters you can afford to buy Benadril to ease the pain.

I've found flying biting critters are much worse around salt marshes than freshwater. Sand gnats that are like miniature flying piranha... Horse flies that will attack in squadrons and take no prisoners and if those mama's leave any flesh left unmarred the yellow flies will finish you off.

But, Rayonier has been the lifeblood for the folks in Wayne County for decades, and as hard as jobs are to find in our little part of the world the smell is a small price to pay for economic stability, and even if the plant went away the sweet little Georgia critters aren't going anyplace.xlolx

Best Wishes,

Jesse

blueballs
May 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
gvilleapp:

I've found flying biting critters are much worse around salt marshes than freshwater. Sand gnats that are like miniature flying piranha...

Those three type of bugs you mentioned are out of control at my Isle of Wight/Jerico River place. The wifey poo and I have taken to calling them "flying teeth."

terrierbob
May 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Those three type of bugs you mentioned are out of control at my Isle of Wight/Jerico River place. The wifey poo and I have taken to calling them "flying teeth."

From DNR website:

So why does it hurt like mad when a gnat takes a meal from your arm or, even worse, your scalp? The secret is in the mouth parts. Sand gnats don't just puncture your skin like mosquitoes do. http://crd.dnr.state.ga.us/assets/images/308.jpg After inserting two sharp, sword-like blades into the skin as anchors, the sand gnat uses the cutting teeth to rip up the skin and get the blood flowing. As if that weren't enough, the gnat then squirts a chemical into the open wound to inhibit blood clotting. The tiny pool of blood that forms is then sucked up through a straw-like structure called the proboscis. Some human victims have allergic reactions to the chemical and must endure itchy red spots or even swollen welts.

mcveyrl
May 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
From DNR website:

So why does it hurt like mad when a gnat takes a meal from your arm or, even worse, your scalp? The secret is in the mouth parts. Sand gnats don't just puncture your skin like mosquitoes do. http://crd.dnr.state.ga.us/assets/images/308.jpg After inserting two sharp, sword-like blades into the skin as anchors, the sand gnat uses the cutting teeth to rip up the skin and get the blood flowing. As if that weren't enough, the gnat then squirts a chemical into the open wound to inhibit blood clotting. The tiny pool of blood that forms is then sucked up through a straw-like structure called the proboscis. Some human victims have allergic reactions to the chemical and must endure itchy red spots or even swollen welts.

Aw man, I just threw up on my computer.

Reign of Terrier
May 6th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Which is completely consistent with what I said. Go back more than two years and check scores. Up until the 2007 game Mike Ayers was something like 1-11-1 against Furman. I remember sitting in a basketball game against Wofford maybe three or four years ago and hearing "Worse than Erskine" cheers from the FU students (I think we were up by somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 points).

Wofford has turned it around on us recently, completely true. But I was talking about going back a bit. Furman has owned most of the sports between the two schools for the better part of the last 15 years. Ergo, most Furman fans aren't used to losing to Wofford.

edit: Found the basketball game I was referring to. In 2004 Furman beat Wofford 91-55 in Greenville, a week after we'd beaten Erskine 89-51. I don't have to tell you how mediocre FU baskeball is, either.

You have to remember that we've been D1 for less than 15 years, we had to gain some prestige...the worst is yet to come and quite frankly I'm tired of Furman fans saying "we haven't lost to them 3 times straight so I'll mark down a W"...I don't think the Citadel lost to us 10 straight before our current run and I have a feeling they were concerned around the 3rd straight time...and not basing things on what history told them...But I don't know, I didn't have the internet back then:D

gvilleapp
May 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
From DNR website:

Screw this job, I'm outta here! Actually I left to come home to the beautiful upstate yesterday, just in time to come into a wave of mosquitos at my house. Aw, but they are my mosquitos. It's good to be home.

Rayonier actually didn't smell when I was in Jesup because production was shutdown for maintenance. Like I said, nice folks down there.

OL FU
May 7th, 2009, 06:40 AM
You have to remember that we've been D1 for less than 15 years, we had to gain some prestige...the worst is yet to come and quite frankly I'm tired of Furman fans saying "we haven't lost to them 3 times straight so I'll mark down a W"...I don't think the Citadel lost to us 10 straight before our current run and I have a feeling they were concerned around the 3rd straight time...and not basing things on what history told them...But I don't know, I didn't have the internet back then:D

The entire point of the post was simply to say Furman isn't used to losing to Wofford. Nothing more, nothing less. We may have to get used to it, at this point, we aren't.

OLDMAIN80
May 7th, 2009, 08:01 AM
gvilleapp:

But, Rayonier has been the lifeblood for the folks in Wayne County for decades, and as hard as jobs are to find in our little part of the world the smell is a small price to pay for economic stability, and even if the plant went away the sweet little Georgia critters aren't going anyplace.xlolx

Smells like moneyxthumbsupx

BullDog85
May 7th, 2009, 08:20 AM
http://www.postandcourier.com/blogs/bulldog_bites/2009/may/06/APR/
Chattanooga, a chronic offender in football, has been banned from postseason play in 2009, the first Division I football program to be thus penalized under ARP guidelines.
Across the SoCon, Georgia Southern football and men’s basketball lost scholarships, as did Chattanooga basketball and Western Carolina football.
The APR score is a four-year average, with a score of 925 equal to a graduation rate of 60 percent, according to the NCAA. Scores below 925 can be subject to penalty.
Chattanooga reached a new level of penalty when its football program was banned from postseason play for 2009. With a multi-year APR of 870, Mocs football was hit by the harsher “historical” penalties reserved for habitual offenders.
New Mocs coach Rick Huesman also will have fewer scholarships (56.64 out of a maximum of 63) and less practice time (16 hours, down from 20) next season.
“We really do remain optimistic about where the program’s going and our ability to correct this, but it’s certainly painful sit here and have to deal with it year after year,” Mocs athletic director Rick Hart said when the school announced the penalties late last month. “It impacts our program in a very significant, very negative way.”
Also dealing with bad news is Georgia Southern, which lost two scholarships in men’s basketball and 3.02 in football; Chattanooga (one scholarship in men’s basketball); and Western Carolina (3.04 scholarships in football).

biggie
May 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Shouldn't the postseason ban have to be in a year where they could possibly get into postseason? Or they can't wait that long?

PhoenixMan
August 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Sitting in a trailer at a plant shutdown in Jesup, GA and I need a diversion. Didn't see a thread about SoCon picks so here goes. Feel free to rip me apart.

1. App State, 10-1, 8-0 Tough game at ECU, but should be competitive. I sure hope so. ECU and NCSU have the guts to play us, unlike other in-state FBS, most notalbly the Tar Heels and Deacons, so for that I salute them. Apps biggest in conference challege should be Wofford on the road, Oct. 17th. Thankfully, it should be cooler than the game there is '07. That is the hottest I've ever been at a sporting event. Furman on the road will be tough too. Could be most talented App team ever.

2. Wofford, 8-3, 7-1 Tough OOC, but I think Wofford can make it thru the SoCon with only one loss. Will be a knock down against Furman as FU tries to climb up the ladder. Must replace Romero, but Britenstein looked good for them at times last year.

3. Furman, 7-4, 6-2 A senior QB with lots of talented recruiting classes for several years now. Bobby Lamb needs to have a big year to stick around and I think he pulls it off and possibly sneaks into the playoffs. OOC against Auburn and Mizzou are brutal.

4. Samford, 8-3, 5-3 Big shock last year. Sullivan seems to have it going on. Can't see them beating the three teams above, but I know they played App tough in '08 so you never know.

5. Elon, 6-5, 4-4 Riddle is back, but I'm still not sold on them. They probably will have to pull upset against App in 10th game to make the playoffs.

6 Georgia Southern, 6-5, 3-5 Eagles always have tons and talent and I think they have the right man in charge. From what I've been hearing they may be a year away. Nice OOC game against North Carolina. Anyone else think it's funny that UNC will schedule GSU and The Citadel, but doesn't want anything to do with App?

7. The Citadel, 3-8, 2-6 I thought '08 was going to be a breakout year for the Dogs, but they faded mid-season. Blanchard and Roberts are a great QB/Receiver combo and could both have big years. Tough OOC games against North Carolina and Princeton. They could surprise me and beat Princeton and maybe sneak in another couple conference wins to have a winning season which would be big for this program that is struggling to re-build it's fan base.

8. Western Carolina, 3-8, 1-7 I know they are getting better under Wagoner, but I can't see them beating anyone in the league except UTC. Tough game against Vandy to open the year.

9. UTC 2-9, 0-8 UTC has a great stadium, is locating in a HS talent rich area, but the previous coaches have not gotten it done. It may start to change this year, but I doubt it.

Elon 5th?? 18 of 22 starters back. Riddle and Hudgins. I'll be happy to wager that they finish no worse than 3rd. I will give you possible losses to App. and Wofford, but I think they win one of those. But, I understand....until you make the playoffs you get no love. I'm with you...miss the playoffs this year and it's time for a coaching change.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 18th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Elon 5th?? 18 of 22 starters back. Riddle and Hudgins. I'll be happy to wager that they finish no worse than 3rd. I will give you possible losses to App. and Wofford, but I think they win one of those. But, I understand....until you make the playoffs you get no love. I'm with you...miss the playoffs this year and it's time for a coaching change.

I do think you guys will beat either App. or Wofford, but come on, your wins over GSU, Furman, and Samford aren't guaranteed by any means.

SideLine Shooter
August 18th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I do think you guys will beat either App. or Wofford, but come on, your wins over GSU, Furman, and Samford aren't guaranteed by any means.

EXACTLY! No guaranteed wins in the SOCON. Not this year. Well, maybe UTC, but somebody might overlook them and get stung. Anything is possible.

phoenix3
August 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM

I'm not afraid of the App game. Win or lose we will be prepared and up for the game. What concerns me most regarding making the playoffs is our last game away at Samford after putting our hearts into the App game. It smells just like the Liberty game of last year just against a better opponent and a conference team to boot.

SideLine Shooter
August 18th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I'm not afraid of the App game. Win or lose we will be prepared and up for the game. What concerns me most regarding making the playoffs is our last game away at Samford after putting our hearts into the App game. It smells just like the Liberty game of last year just against a better opponent and a conference team to boot.

You are right 3. Samford can do a lot of damage in the SOCON. They are a much better team than the Flamers. Better look out.xlolxxlolxxlolx

ASU_MBA
August 18th, 2009, 08:32 PM
No way Elon goes 6-5 unless Riddle and T-mobile both quit the team. They return way too much talent. Anything less than 2nd in the SoCon would be a sad year for them.

CopperCat
August 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
EXACTLY! No guaranteed wins in the SOCON. Not this year. Well, maybe UTC, but somebody might overlook them and get stung. Anything is possible.

1-4 or even 5 in the socon will be tough. App should be #1, but with the resurgence of Elon and Wofford, Furman, and even Samford putting up solid efforts last year with lots of returning talent it should be fun to watch the mayhem play out. The socon has alot of grit in the top half.

PaladinFan
August 19th, 2009, 08:12 AM

Elon has some good players, no doubt. But so does everyone else.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM

One more comment - if GSU loses more than 4 conference games I will personally spray-paint a giant App. State Logo on the press box of Paulson Stadium. I will tear up the grass and replace it with purple turf. And I'll tear down the letters that say "Allen E. Paulson Stadium" and put up letters that say "Welcome to the Stink". Barring a cataclysmic year of injuries or some unforseen debacle, it ain't going to happen.

AshevilleApp2
August 19th, 2009, 09:26 AM
One more comment - if GSU loses more than 4 conference games I will personally spray-paint a giant App. State Logo on the press box of Paulson Stadium. I will tear up the grass and replace it with purple turf. And I'll tear down the letters that say "Allen E. Paulson Stadium" and put up letters that say "Welcome to the Stink". Barring a cataclysmic year of injuries or some unforseen debacle, it ain't going to happen.

Oh please, please, pleeaasssseee lose 5 conference games. xsmiley_wix xlolx

I don't see it happening either.

biggie
August 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I'll go ahead and quote this, cause losing more than 4 is very possible for anyone this year.

The Cats
August 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM
- if GSU loses more than 4 conference games I will personally spray-paint a giant App. State Logo on the press box of Paulson Stadium. I will tear up the grass and replace it with purple turf. And I'll tear down the letters that say "Allen E. Paulson Stadium" and put up letters that say "Welcome to the Stink".

WOW.... Have you cleared this with GSU? xflaggedx

DLS
August 19th, 2009, 12:18 PM

c'mon bigmoneybigmoneybigmoney no whammy no whammy

PhoenixMan
August 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Let's hope it doesn't come to down to beating Samford on the road...our track record with winning those kind of games isn't very good. xsmhx