PDA

View Full Version : ? about New Haven

aztecjim
May 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Is New Haven moving to FCS or not? Are they officially in the process of upgrading to FCS or do are they waiting until the moratorium is over?

dgreco
May 3rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
they filled the 15,000, I think that is the price, to create an exploratory committee to move to DI. Really it was a ploy to get them into the NE-10. The ECC is falling apart and they wanted in the NE-10. By looking serious the NE-10 invited them in and they are now happy and will stay there.

aceinthehole
May 3rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
they filled the 15,000, I think that is the price, to create an exploratory committee to move to DI. Really it was a ploy to get them into the NE-10. The ECC is falling apart and they wanted in the NE-10. By looking serious the NE-10 invited them in and they are now happy and will stay there.

That's it exactly. New Haven was one of the schools that beat the moratorium, but they have no intentions of completing the reclassification to D-I.

The D-II conference they were in (now called the ECC) sucked for them, but they had no progress in getting into the NE-10. The 'exploratory' year, along with resuming football finaly made them a viable and legimate candidate for NE-10 membership.

So, long story short - New Haven will remain a D-II program, now in the NE-10 conference.

danefan
May 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM
That's it exactly. New Haven was one of the schools that beat the moratorium, but they have no intentions of completing the reclassification to D-I.

The D-II conference they were in (now called the ECC) sucked for them, but they had no progress in getting into the NE-10. The 'exploratory' year, along with resuming football finaly made them a viable and legimate candidate for NE-10 membership.

So, long story short - New Haven will remain a D-II program, now in the NE-10 conference.

Absolutely correct. The new head coach (former UAlbany OC) said last year the move to FCS was out of the question now. They did give him a nice budget for a DII football team though. he should get them back to competitiveness pretty quickly.

dgreco
May 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Absolutely correct. The new head coach (former UAlbany OC) said last year the move to FCS was out of the question now. They did give him a nice budget for a DII football team though. he should get them back to competitiveness pretty quickly.

Another interesting thing, the NE-10 recently announced that they will be giving up to 36 equivalences in the near future. That means the NE-10 will no longer be a true non-scholarship league. It will also making recruiting a little tougher now in the New England area.

Dane96
May 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
More the reason the NEC needs to buck up to the 63 scholly range. If the NE-10 schools can go to 36...there is no reason that the NEC needs to stay at 40. We should at least get to the counter-game level so we can get a FBS pay-day for each team.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 4th, 2009, 10:35 AM
As schools like the NE-10 put pressure on the NEC, the increased number of scholarships will put pressure on Marist's survival - and will also pressure the Patriot League to do something as well. However, we'll see if anything comes of it.

dgreco
May 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I really think if the NEC does not allow the 63 limit it might be the demise of NEC football. The teams will most likely fall into obscurity and will have to go independent to get the scholarships or go to a new league. With pretty much all of the football playing teams in the CAA, NEC and NE-10. It was easy for the NEC to be that middle ground to get the DI kids who might or might not get some aid, but were not "CAA material". Now the kids can bypass the NEC and say if I can not make a CAA school I can play for a DII championship in the NE10 and most of the NE-10 schools have good reputations so it is really a win.

Hopefully the NEC makes some sort of response to this. And as LFN said it will put the pressure on Marist and it will trickle down possibly to the PL. I think the PL might be secure because of its status, but the NEC and marist could be in a lot of trouble.

danefan
May 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I really think if the NEC does not allow the 63 limit it might be the demise of NEC football. The teams will most likely fall into obscurity and will have to go independent to get the scholarships or go to a new league. With pretty much all of the football playing teams in the CAA, NEC and NE-10. It was easy for the NEC to be that middle ground to get the DI kids who might or might not get some aid, but were not "CAA material". Now the kids can bypass the NEC and say if I can not make a CAA school I can play for a DII championship in the NE10 and most of the NE-10 schools have good reputations so it is really a win.

Hopefully the NEC makes some sort of response to this. And as LFN said it will put the pressure on Marist and it will trickle down possibly to the PL. I think the PL might be secure because of its status, but the NEC and marist could be in a lot of trouble.

I agree 100% with you. Perhaps it doesn't need to be the full 63, but it should at least be "counter" level. The NEC can separate itself from the rest of non-CAA northeast football by saying - we're playing Big East, MAC and the Service Academies and those other schools you are getting recruited by - are not.

Without that, what really is the difference between Bentley and Wagner? DI basketball? When was the last time a football recruit at Wagner cared that Wagner had a DI basketball team? And if they did, Bently is arguably a better BBall team anway.

This is once again why it makes no sense for Albany and Central Conn. to stay aligned with a less-than full scholarships NEC. Monmouth is borderline as well. But CCSU and Albany being large state schools get nothing from a less than full-scholly NEC in the long-term.

aceinthehole
May 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I agree 100% with you. Perhaps it doesn't need to be the full 63, but it should at least be "counter" level. The NEC can separate itself from the rest of non-CAA northeast football by saying - we're playing Big East, MAC and the Service Academies and those other schools you are getting recruited by - are not.

Without that, what really is the difference between Bentley and Wagner? DI basketball? When was the last time a football recruit at Wagner cared that Wagner had a DI basketball team? And if they did, Bently is arguably a better BBall team anway.

This is once again why it makes no sense for Albany and Central Conn. to stay aligned with a less-than full scholarships NEC. Monmouth is borderline as well. But CCSU and Albany being large state schools get nothing from a less than full-scholly NEC in the long-term.

I generally agree with you. I do think the NEC needs to ramp up to "counter" level soon. However, I'm also a realist and know that just 3 seasons ago we were all compared to bad D-III programs. Right now the buzz is we can pass the PL in football. We've made great strides in a few short years and because of that I have more confidence that the NEC will do whatever it takes so that football does not fall into 'obsercurity.' I can't say the same of the PL leadership!

Dane, for now CCSU's long-term interest is in the NEC. While we don't fit the NEC profile, without a seat at the table in the AE its very difficult to lead on this issue. Its in UA's long-term interest to get the AE to sponsor full-scholly football and I haven't seen any progress on that front. You would have a partner in CCSU, if we were an AE member.