PDA

View Full Version : Ralph, scoop on Richmond getting home game

Purple Knight
November 30th, 2005, 12:25 PM
I couldn't listen last night, did they clarify or muddy the home field award?

Tribe4SF
November 30th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Clarified.

Committee now considering "student-athlete welfare" on par with facilities and bids. Laney made it clear that this was the deciding factor for Richmond.

youwouldno
November 30th, 2005, 12:32 PM
So basically Furman did get screwed?

GannonFan
November 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Clarified.

Committee now considering "student-athlete welfare" on par with facilities and bids. Laney made it clear that this was the deciding factor for Richmond.

So there's something about the quality of drinking water in the Greenville area that endangers the welfare now? Did he clarify what they mean by that?

Tribe4SF
November 30th, 2005, 12:38 PM
That's a matter of opinion. I think everyone has wanted the committee to make pairings based on criteria other than just money. At least that process has begun. Teams that can't draw as well have always gotten screwed in the past. If Richmond's bid had not been at least comparable, you can bet they would have been on the road.

Tribe4SF
November 30th, 2005, 12:39 PM
So there's something about the quality of drinking water in the Greenville area that endangers the welfare now? Did he clarify what they mean by that?

Yes. If possible, to avoid having to travel two weeks in a row.

GannonFan
November 30th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Yes. If possible, to avoid having to travel two weeks in a row.

To be honest with you, I think that wouldn't hold any water if you had a school that is bigger or had more money than Furman. Richmond had to travel all the way to Hampton last week. Let's see, according to Mapquest, that's a little more than one hour by vehicle. I can't imagine an easier roadtrip in the playoffs than what Richmond had to do last week. Were they really put out by a couple of hours travel time to and from?

Like I said, from all accounts Furman's bid was only marginally more than Richmond's, and Furman has a weak history when it comes to playoff attendance. I'm thinking will all things being close to equal, they can fall back on the student welfare line. If Richmond was going to play a GSU or a Montana or a UD, I'm sure the disparity in bids would be large enough that "student welfare" would never be a topic of conversation.

OL FU
November 30th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Our students and fans are killers.

texcap
November 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Does the committee meet again after each round to address the issue of who hosts games or have they already determined all possible scenarios before hand?

In other words, assume that UNI and Cal Poly win this weekend. Does the committee have to meet again to decide if UNI or Cal Poly gets to host or has that already been decided. (I know that Cal Poly's stadium is being renovated, but this was a hypothetical question.)

Purple Knight
November 30th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Clarified.

Which student/athletes? Richmonds? Would their welfare be in question if they came to Greenville, SC? Does Richmond get motion sickness when they travel? The teams playing the 4 seeds, is their student/athlete welfare exempt from this previously unused criteria. Is it a 'missing class' thing? The team with the lowest GPA gets to stay home and attend a few more classes?

Did they not disclose why Richmonds welfare was more in jeopardy than Furmans?

Forget your conference loyalty, does this make sense?

GannonFan
November 30th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Which student/athletes? Richmonds? Would their welfare be in question if they came to Greenville, SC? Does Richmond get motion sickness when they travel? The teams playing the 4 seeds, is their student/athlete welfare exempt from this previously unused criteria. Is it a 'missing class' thing? The team with the lowest GPA gets to stay home and attend a few more classes?

Did they not disclose why Richmonds welfare was more in jeopardy than Furmans?

Forget your conference loyalty, does this make sense?

Well, let's not get too hyperbole here, I think the basis that Richmond travelled in the first round while Furman did not is what they are using. I think it's a stretch with Richmond playing so close to home in Hampton, but that's apparently the reason.

Mountaineer
November 30th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Does the committee meet again after each round to address the issue of who hosts games or have they already determined all possible scenarios before hand?

In other words, assume that UNI and Cal Poly win this weekend. Does the committee have to meet again to decide if UNI or Cal Poly gets to host or has that already been decided. (I know that Cal Poly's stadium is being renovated, but this was a hypothetical question.)

If I remember correctly I think Laney said the committe will meet this week to discuss possible scenarios for home games for the following week. He also mentioned ESPN as a factor.

I believe Ralph mentioned he called the UNI offices yesterday (or Monday) about a possible UNI/Cal Poly matchup and got a response that "heads would roll" if UNI doesn't get the home game. Of course that's a moot point if both teams don't win this Saturday.

OL FU
November 30th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I have stayed out of this argument because I did not know the bids, etc. But that is pretty weak. I would think one of the considerations would have to be records and ratings, etc. (maybe not). But to say it was decided because of student welfare is a non-answer. And Tribe, I agree money should not be the only issue. I think it plays too big of a role. But I would think if the bids are relatively the same, records/results should probably be the next criteria.

With that said, once again other than watching on TV versus being at the game, it is not that big of a deal. Wait a minute, :eek:

griz37
November 30th, 2005, 01:00 PM
If I remember correctly I think Laney said the committe will meet this week to discuss possible scenarios for home games for the following week. He also mentioned ESPN as a factor.

I believe Ralph mentioned he called the UNI offices yesterday (or Monday) about a possible UNI/Cal Poly matchup and got a response that "heads would roll" if UNI doesn't get the home game. Of course that's a moot point if both teams don't win this Saturday.

Which heads would roll?

ASU Kep
November 30th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Richmond DID beat a seeded team while Furman did not. Granted, HU was a pretty weak team but say if Colgate had beaten UNH or LC has beaten App. Would they be more deserving of a home game because of their success at beating a seed? I would be interested to know if that plays any roll. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Mountaineer
November 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM
You'd have to ask Ralph for clarification on that griz37. :p

I had a hard time actually listening to the broadcast with the gf hounding me to help with the Christmas tree, making dinner..etc..etc.. :o

Tribe4SF
November 30th, 2005, 01:09 PM
I have stayed out of this argument because I did not know the bids, etc. But that is pretty weak. I would think one of the considerations would have to be records and ratings, etc. (maybe not). But to say it was decided because of student welfare is a non-answer. And Tribe, I agree money should not be the only issue. I think it plays too big of a role. But I would think if the bids are relatively the same, records/results should probably be the next criteria.

With that said, once again other than watching on TV versus being at the game, it is not that big of a deal. Wait a minute, :eek:

Beyond the seeded teams, the rest are viewed basically as equal. Without seeding more teams, there has to be other criteria for determining home and away. I wish they'd go back to 16 seeds, but I don't think we'll see more than eight, and then these issues will still arise in the second round.

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Beyond the seeded teams, the rest are viewed basically as equal. Without seeding more teams, there has to be other criteria for determining home and away. I wish they'd go back to 16 seeds, but I don't think we'll see more than eight, and then these issues will still arise in the second round.

With 8 seeded teams the likelihood of two unseeded teams meeting would be diminished.

Tribe4SF
November 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM
With 8 seeded teams the likelihood of two unseeded teams meeting would be diminished.

Diminished, but you know it would still happen.

OL FU
November 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Well, let's not get too hyperbole here, I think the basis that Richmond travelled in the first round while Furman did not is what they are using. I think it's a stretch with Richmond playing so close to home in Hampton, but that's apparently the reason.

You are probably right on both counts. Richmond travelled first, and using that as a reason is a stretch.

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Just another reason to see all 16 and the higher seed is the home team, problem solved

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Diminished, but you know it would still happen.

Of course it would still happen, but not nearly as often as it does now. Much less likely that two upsets in the same mini-bracket would occur.

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Just another reason to see all 16 and the higher seed is the home team, problem solved

I agree, but seeding 8 is at least a step in the right direction. Hopefully they take that "baby step" next year.

Tribe4SF
November 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM
It was one of their recommendations last spring, and I had hoped they'd implement it this year. I think we'll see 8 seeds next year.

Black and Gold Express
November 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Well, if UR/FU is now a precedent, UNI better get ready to travel if this scenario comes to pass. It'll take two pretty good upsets to happen (I think UNH and TSU were the two best teams in Round 1), but if the message is they are trying to split up travel, then Cal Poly should get the game so it's be 2-2 for travle weeks between UNI and CP.

There is an easier solution. Go back to seeding all 16 teams.

DB_Atlantic10
November 30th, 2005, 02:00 PM
What's the complaint....? Richmond getting a game at home? Big deal, someone had to travel. If Furman doesn't want to travel, I'm sure the Dukes would love to take their place with only 1.5 hours drive....... :hyped:

Better yet, here's an idea...if a seeded team loses, they should still use their field and make both teams travel..... now that should open up another can of complaint worms...... :argue:

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I agree, but seeding 8 is at least a step in the right direction. Hopefully they take that "baby step" next year.

true

but just have the teams bid before playoff selection, and use that as a basis to seed the teams if they are comparable

example: if team 4 is comparable to team 5, but team 5 bids higher, then they would get the home game if the two met

henfan
November 30th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Come on, that wouldn't solve anything at all and, in fact, would only lead to more complaining. The team seeded 9 or 10 should have been 7 or 8, etc. No matter how you slice it, there's probably always going to be some degree of subjectivity to selecting at-large bids and home sites... and whining fans.

UR and FU's bids were similiar. Neither team stands to draw many fans for the game. UR has a marginally higher Sagarin Power Rating. Looks like a dead heat to me.

I'm not supporting the PCS's decision necessarily. I just don't think, given the profile of these two teams, the choice was that clear cut.

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Come on, that wouldn't solve anything at all and, in fact, would only lead to more complaining. The team seeded 9 or 10 should have been 7 or 8, etc. No matter how you slice it, there's probably always going to be some degree of subjectivity to selecting at-large bids and home sites... and whining fans.

UR and FU's bids were similiar. Neither team stands to draw many fans for the game. UR has a marginally higher Sagarin Power Rating. Looks like a dead heat to me.

I'm not supporting the PCS's decision necessarily. I just don't think, given the profile of these two teams, the choice was that clear cut.

I'm not trying to take it out of the committee's hands, I just wish people would stop bitching and moaning and realize that you have to win the games, no matter where you play

OL FU
November 30th, 2005, 02:34 PM
I just wish people would stop bitching and moaning

No, you don't. If that happened AGS would disappear and we would all have to go back to work.

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 02:34 PM
No, you don't. If that happened AGS would disappear and we would all have to go back to work.

I am at work :smiley_wi

but yes, I wish they would just realize that they are in the playoffs, where 100 other teams would kill to be

LarryBoy
November 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I am confused by this "neither team will draw many fans" concept. I know we're not talking about Montana or App. State, but Furman has been in the top 15 in attendance pretty consistently over the years. Sure, we normally can only get about 7,000 to first round games (I have no idea where they got that 4,000 figure from), but second-round figures have proved to be much higher (which makes sense, with students being back and no Thanksgiving).

This isn't a bash to Richmond, but again, they average roughly 6,000--less than half of Furman's average attendance.

For the NCAA, this isn't a matter of attendance--otherwise they would have kept it at Furman, so that the 2 people who watched the game on ESPNU would see a slightly more filled stadium, and so that the NCAA could cash in on some extra revenue. Richmond's 20,000+ stadium is going to look verrry empty on TV Saturday.

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I am confused by this "neither team will draw many fans" concept. I know we're not talking about Montana or App. State, but Furman has been in the top 15 in attendance pretty consistently over the years. Sure, we normally can only get about 7,000 to first round games (I have no idea where they got that 4,000 figure from), but second-round figures have proved to be much higher (which makes sense, with students being back and no Thanksgiving).

This isn't a bash to Richmond, but again, they average roughly 6,000--less than half of Furman's average attendance.

This isn't a matter of attendance--otherwise they would have kept it at Furman, so that the 2 people who watched the game on ESPNU would see a slightly more filled stadium. Richmon's 20,000+ stadium is going to look verrry empty on TV Saturday.

I think they might be banking that Furman's fans will travel better then UR's

plus, i hope that with the way Richmond has played lately, more fans will come out

Purple Knight
November 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM
What's the complaint....? Richmond getting a game at home? Big deal, someone had to travel. If Furman doesn't want to travel, I'm sure the Dukes would love to take their place with only 1.5 hours drive....... :hyped:

Better yet, here's an idea...if a seeded team loses, they should still use their field and make both teams travel..... now that should open up another can of complaint worms...... :argue:

That wouldn't work. The precedent has already been set that A-10 teams shouldn't have to travel more than 1 hour to an away game. Why did they make you guys travel last year? Same procedures would have Richmond traveling this year.

OL FU
November 30th, 2005, 02:54 PM
I am at work :smiley_wi

but yes, I wish they would just realize that they are in the playoffs, where 100 other teams would kill to be

I am at work too, but I would then actually have to do work.

henfan
November 30th, 2005, 03:07 PM
80% empty at UR vs. 50% empty at FU. Empty is empty. Since the game isn't being broadcast nationally, the NCAA could care less what it looks like on TV. Should be a great game to watch though.

DTSpider
November 30th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Richmond's attendance average took a dive with the losing seasons. Average attendance in the late 90s was well above 10,000. This year our attendance grew as the season went along (low point Nova with only 4,000) increasing to the W&M and VMI games of roughly 10,000. Furman's attendance was low last week. I think that the NCAA used the "student/life" excuse to give the game to Richmond as the teams are pretty much equal accross the board. Perhaps it was a better setup for TV crews.

I'm a little disappointed as the local TV station bought coverage rights. So, I have a feeling that some of the fair-weather fans won't brave the 30 degree cold and instead will watch at home. Also really sucks that it's up against the ACC championship game as no Tech fans will come help fill the stadium.

matfu
November 30th, 2005, 04:47 PM
i still say there is too much subjectivity in this. just establish specific criteria and follow it. and don't change it every year.

furman got screwed but hopefully will take that frustration out on the spiders.

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I am at work too, but I would then actually have to do work.

yes, well, there is a reason japan is surpassing us in most things

oh well, viva la AGS!!

blukeys
November 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM
That wouldn't work. The precedent has already been set that A-10 teams shouldn't have to travel more than 1 hour to an away game. Why did they make you guys travel last year? Same procedures would have Richmond traveling this year.

Check your facts. Last year JMU traveled well in excess of an hour going to Lehigh and Furman and William and Mary (if you can make the drive from Harrisonburg to Williamsburg in an hour then you need to get off this board and line up a NASCAR sponsor) on their way to a NC last year. I guess some Furman fans have no confidence in their ability to win on the road.

LarryBoy
November 30th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I guess some Furman fans have no confidence in their ability to win on the road.

Pretty much.

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Check your facts. Last year JMU traveled well in excess of an hour going to Lehigh and Furman and William and Mary (if you can make the drive from Harrisonburg to Williamsburg in an hour then you need to get off this board and line up a NASCAR sponsor) on their way to a NC last year. I guess some Furman fans have no confidence in their ability to win on the road.

The last two they were on the road to seeded teams so they had to travel.

Hansel
November 30th, 2005, 07:13 PM
and Lehigh was 270 miles... hardly a "killer trip"

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Pretty much.

Speak for yourself.

blukeys
November 30th, 2005, 07:17 PM

And Furman isn't seeded so they take their chances regarding a home game. Do you really believe that the 3rd SoCon team is too good to travel to the 2nd A-10 team. Hofstra took you to overtime!!!!!! Where are they????

Quit your whining, GSU fans complain all the time whenever they have to travel and you are starting to sound like them. JMU won on the road in '04 and WKU won mostly on the road in '02. If Furman is really championship material then they can win a road game too, Especially when you have to travel all the way toooooooo Richmond???!!!!

Are you going to sound like UNI fans who blame every loss on the fact that you are playing on the road?????????

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 07:19 PM
And Furman isn't seeded so they take their chances regarding a home game. Do you really believe that the 3rd SoCon team is too good to travel to the 2nd A-10 team. Hofstra took you to overtime!!!!!! Where are they????

Quit your whining, GSU fans complain all the time whenever they have to travel and you are starting to sound like them. JMU won on the road in '04 and WKU won mostly on the road in '02. If Furman is really championship material then they can win a road game too, Especially when you have to travel all the way toooooooo Richmond???!!!!

Are you going to sound like UNI fans who blame every loss on the fact that you are playing on the road?????????

Richmond was taken to OT by Hofstra as well, but you seem to conviently forget to mention that.

My only complaint is the committee has changed the methodology of how they give out home games this year. I disagree with their process. Could care less what you think of that disagreement. Being on the road in the playoffs is a hell of a lot better than where you team is now.

blukeys
November 30th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Richmond was taken to OT by Hofstra as well, but you seem to conviently forget to mention that.

. Being on the road in the playoffs is a hell of a lot better than where you team is now.

So what is your complaint? Or are you like the typical GSU fan who believes you are "entitiled" to a home game and then will whine if you lose? So the NCAA changed something or another waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa

Get used to it and grow up. As JFK said "life isn't fair".

You never did answer my question which is why does the 3rd seed in the Southern Conference deserve a home game over the 2nd seed in the A-!0?
Also, Why is it such a big deal that the Paladins have to travel AAAALLLLL the way to Richmond? Seems to me the GSU trip to Texas State was farther and more difficult.

What was the GSU - Furman Score? GSU traveled and Furman got to stay home!!!!!

Quit your whining and bellyacheing and play the game!!!

fuEMO
November 30th, 2005, 07:57 PM

First we tied for second in the SoCon. And if we want to bitch about this, we have the right. The point to all this is, we need more clarity from the PC about these rules, this decision came as a surprise outcome to the FU administration. I think Furman deserves the home game, I know I'm biased. But I will be there and Furman is doing its best to make right on this. Word is FUSAB is paying for free buss trips and tickets for Furman students. I'm guessing we will see over 1,000 purples in Richmond.

PAllen
November 30th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Look, it's real simple. The committee thought that Richmond should get a home game. But, a Richmond/Hampton matchup was too good to pass up. There was no way that Hampton wasn't getting a seed, so that game had to be at Hampton.

AndrewFU21
November 30th, 2005, 08:11 PM
So what is your complaint? Or are you like the typical GSU fan who believes you are "entitiled" to a home game and then will whine if you lose? So the NCAA changed something or another waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa

You never did answer my question which is why does the 3rd seed in the Southern Conference deserve a home game over the 2nd seed in the A-!0?
Also, Why is it such a big deal that the Paladins have to travel AAAALLLLL the way to Richmond? Seems to me the GSU trip to Texas State was farther and more difficult.

Dude. Nobody is complaining that we have to play on the road, but rather why the NCAA decided to send us to Richmond. Furman has a better record than UR and is ranked considerably higher in all the polls. Also, the fact that they sent them to #3 seed Hampton while giving FU a home game proves that they considered us the better team. Also, our attendance has been consistently higher than Richmond's. But instead of giving us the home game, they give it to them for "the wellfare of the student athletes". Trust me, you'd be pissed if the same thing happened to your team.

In the end, though, I'm only mad because it makes it that much harder for me to go to this game. I know that if Furman is really a championship caliber team, we'll be able to win no matter where the committee sends us.

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Dude. Nobody is complaining that we have to play on the road, but rather why the NCAA decided to send us to Richmond. Furman has a better record than UR and is ranked considerably higher in all the polls. Also, the fact that they sent them to #3 seed Hampton while giving FU a home game proves that they considered us the better team. Also, our attendance has been consistently higher than Richmond's. But instead of giving us the home game, they give it to them for "the wellfare of the student athletes". Trust me, you'd be pissed if the same thing happened to your team.

In the end, though, I'm only mad because it makes it that much harder for me to go to this game. I know that if Furman is really a championship caliber team, we'll be able to win no matter where the committee sends us.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2005, 08:41 PM
I hope a lot of fans, coaches, and Athletic Directors get very mad at this new playoff system. Our post-season is becoming more corrupt and BC$-like. we need to go back to the old system.

blukeys
November 30th, 2005, 08:46 PM

Your Assumption that the Committee considered Furman the BETTER team has no basis in fact.

Under the current NCAA rules a seeded team get the closest team sent to it's venue provided it is not in the same conference. Therefore, Hampton as the seeded team gets the closest team sent to it. Hampton got Richmond, UNH got the closest team Colgate. App State gets the next closest team not in its conference Lafayette. Texas State was the other seed, they got GSU. Yes there are inconsistencies under this system as when SIU went to Delaware in '03. But your assumption that a team sent to a top seed such as Richmond is ranked lower in the opinion of the committee is totally eroneous.
Ther are only 4 seeds!!! After that all teams are considered equal. TSN polls etc. have no bearing on this. If you believe that the highest bid should ALWAYS get the home game then say so and I will support that as UD will always get a home game with everyone other than Montana (maybe) and we will see you in Newark.

charliej
November 30th, 2005, 08:53 PM
When asked,Laney indeed said that student welfare was a deciding factor as to why FU would be on the road vs UR. Neither team was seeded and the bids were comparable,FU played at home last week and UR had to travel,(admittedly not very far),so this week FU travels. As suggested,I feel that a much higher bid will win out over student welfare everytime. In fact, that may have been an underlying reason for doing this.(Tryin to get those bids up!) :cool:

Laney said this was a new approach they were taking this year and gave last years UNH team as an example of why it came about.He went on to say that it was imperfect, as you cant predict who is going to win each week but said that they had looked at the different possible scenarios and made the best decision possible. ESPN was not a factor in who got the home game,but they determined what time slots the games would be played in.

Ralph & Dave Coulson both pointed out afterward that CAl Poly will ,should they win this week,probably still have to travel to UNI if they were to win,so you can see it's not perfect.

I would like to see more seeded teams too,but I cant see the NCAA going to 16 seeds as long as they make a buck off the games.Could you imagine if you had UD,Montana & GSU as the 14-16 seeds,going to UNH or UR?

FightinBluHen51
November 30th, 2005, 09:06 PM
It was one of their recommendations last spring, and I had hoped they'd implement it this year. I think we'll see 8 seeds next year.
What if you actually took the time and created a regional bracket, much like March Madness? 4 teams in each "region" and seed them down, 1-4, 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3.

matfu
November 30th, 2005, 10:30 PM
i think most furman fans believe we can (not a will, not a sure victory) beat richmond on the road, but were more upset about the away game because it sure is easy to go to a home game rather than an away game. also the "new " fairness criteria was something new and a complete surprise. if they had explained in advance..."in hosting home games this year the criteria will be a little different etc".... i think we would have understood. but we can win it on the road like james madison did last year. the system will never be perfect.

james madison's championship sure seems better than the many years where marshall and ga southern played FOUR games at home...but some would say that puts the appropriate emphasis on having a good regular season.

Purple Knight
November 30th, 2005, 11:32 PM
When asked,Laney indeed said that student welfare was a deciding factor as to why FU would be on the road vs UR. Neither team was seeded and the bids were comparable,FU played at home last week and UR had to travel,(admittedly not very far),so this week FU travels. As suggested,I feel that a much higher bid will win out over student welfare everytime. In fact, that may have been an underlying reason for doing this.(Tryin to get those bids up!) :cool:

Laney said this was a new approach they were taking this year and gave last years UNH team as an example of why it came about.He went on to say that it was imperfect, as you cant predict who is going to win each week but said that they had looked at the different possible scenarios and made the best decision possible. ESPN was not a factor in who got the home game,but they determined what time slots the games would be played in.

Ralph & Dave Coulson both pointed out afterward that CAl Poly will ,should they win this week,probably still have to travel to UNI if they were to win,so you can see it's not perfect.

I would like to see more seeded teams too,but I cant see the NCAA going to 16 seeds as long as they make a buck off the games.Could you imagine if you had UD,Montana & GSU as the 14-16 seeds,going to UNH or UR?

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I agree. It makes perfect sense for fans without teams in the playoffs. And from what i've read, this will be the only time in the 2005 playoffs that this rule has a chance of being used. Ummm.

As far as UD, Montana or GSU traveling, yea. Put them on a bus. What's money got to do with it. They might get a few hours credit for the OOS travel.

Eagle22
December 1st, 2005, 04:57 AM
Your Assumption that the Committee considered Furman the BETTER team has no basis in fact.

Under the current NCAA rules a seeded team get the closest team sent to it's venue provided it is not in the same conference. Therefore, Hampton as the seeded team gets the closest team sent to it. Hampton got Richmond, UNH got the closest team Colgate. App State gets the next closest team not in its conference Lafayette. Texas State was the other seed, they got GSU. Yes there are inconsistencies under this system as when SIU went to Delaware in '03. But your assumption that a team sent to a top seed such as Richmond is ranked lower in the opinion of the committee is totally eroneous.
Ther are only 4 seeds!!! After that all teams are considered equal. TSN polls etc. have no bearing on this. If you believe that the highest bid should ALWAYS get the home game then say so and I will support that as UD will always get a home game with everyone other than Montana (maybe) and we will see you in Newark.

Uh, if you want to get the tape measure out ... you'll find that Carbondale, Illinois is closer (by almost 60 miles) to the ASU campus, than Lafayette, Pennslyvania. So if what you're saying is accurate, the committee goofed yet again and should have sent unseeded Southern Illinois to Boone in the first round. Likewise, Lafayette should have been sent to Charleston, Illinois to face EIU, since going to Boone would be 30 miles further for Lafayette.

Obviously, that isn't what the committe decided. They matched up opponents by strength, sending the perceived weaker team (Lafayette) to the seeded team.

Furman may not be considered the better team by the I-AA selection committee when compared to Richmond, but given that the committee whiffed on some other issues this year in regards to the playoffs I wouldn't lose any sleep over what the committee did. It wasn't their best year in picking matchups ... IMO.

Furman fans have good reason to be miffed.

Eagle22
December 1st, 2005, 05:20 AM
Look, it's real simple. The committee thought that Richmond should get a home game. But, a Richmond/Hampton matchup was too good to pass up. There was no way that Hampton wasn't getting a seed, so that game had to be at Hampton.

Since it's real simple, please provide the committee's logic in why Richmond should have had a home game. If it is something so simple as student welfare, that could be applied to any playoff participant.

Thanks.

Eagle22
December 1st, 2005, 05:24 AM

I may have missed this during the past few days of being absent, but what was the amount of the respective bids ?

The Myrtle Beach paper put in a request for Furman's bid numbers, and was turned down, citing Furman's status as a private entity.

I would think Furman had a better bid, but unless one knows for sure ... it is gross speculation.

Facilities wise, I think Furman would easily have an edge.

This isn't a logical decision ... IMO ... and it reflects poorly on the performance of the I-AA selection committee.

APPST '93
December 1st, 2005, 06:19 AM
Uh, if you want to get the tape measure out ... you'll find that Carbondale, Illinois is closer (by almost 60 miles) to the ASU campus, than Lafayette, Pennslyvania. So if what you're saying is accurate, the committee goofed yet again and should have sent unseeded Southern Illinois to Boone in the first round. Likewise, Lafayette should have been sent to Charleston, Illinois to face EIU, since going to Boone would be 30 miles further for Lafayette.

One problem SIU is only 160 miles from EIU and LU is 770 miles from EIU. Why make both teams travel way too far? They try to make it regional.

Tribe4SF
December 1st, 2005, 07:05 AM
I may have missed this during the past few days of being absent, but what was the amount of the respective bids ?

The Myrtle Beach paper put in a request for Furman's bid numbers, and was turned down, citing Furman's status as a private entity.

I would think Furman had a better bid, but unless one knows for sure ... it is gross speculation.

Facilities wise, I think Furman would easily have an edge.

This isn't a logical decision ... IMO ... and it reflects poorly on the performance of the I-AA selection committee.

UR's facilities are pretty good. They've hosted the NCAA Div. I Soccer Championship a number of times, and have considerable experience. The stadium seats 21,000, and the playing surface is excellent. Hotel accommadations are also good.

OL FU
December 1st, 2005, 07:36 AM

Bluekeys,

I think you miss the point. I cannot speak for the other FU fans but I am ok with going on the road. However, we usually don't recognize inconsistencies until they directly impact us. And that is what has happened, I am sure FU got the benefit of some home games in the past when we should not have. OK, I admit it. We probably did not complain one bit. But I think what the thread is about is not whether Furman fans are whining but that there are obvious inconsistencies in how the teams playing at home are selected. We all know seeds and money rule. I think the NCAA has made that pretty clear. It would seem though beyond that the NCAA should and could clearly state an objective policy on home field selection. It is really that simple and I believe that is what my fellow FU'ers are saying.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 07:59 AM
Bluekeys,

I think you miss the point. I cannot speak for the other FU fans but I am ok with going on the road. However, we usually don't recognize inconsistencies until they directly impact us. And that is what has happened, I am sure FU got the benefit of some home games in the past when we should not have. OK, I admit it. We probably did not complain one bit. But I think what the thread is about is not whether Furman fans are whining but that there are obvious inconsistencies in how the teams playing at home are selected. We all know seeds and money rule. I think the NCAA has made that pretty clear. It would seem though beyond that the NCAA should and could clearly state an objective policy on home field selection. It is really that simple and I believe that is what my fellow FU'ers are saying.

Concrete rules take away the committee's power- never happen

OL FU
December 1st, 2005, 08:05 AM
Concrete rules take away the committee's power- never happen

I did not say it would. But just because something won't happen doesn't mean that it shouldn't.

bluehenbillk
December 1st, 2005, 08:20 AM
I think the committee was trying to spare themselves the embarassment of having a nationally-televised semi-final game expose a weak road team like Furman & they'd get them out of the way this week in Richmond.

nick9c
December 1st, 2005, 08:23 AM
I think the committee was trying to spare themselves the embarassment of having a nationally-televised semi-final game expose a weak road team like Furman & they'd get them out of the way this week in Richmond.

That's the biggest piece of BS I've heard yet. xidiotx

bluehenbillk
December 1st, 2005, 08:26 AM
Talk to me Saturday night around 9-ish.

Eagle22
December 1st, 2005, 08:34 AM
One problem SIU is only 160 miles from EIU and LU is 770 miles from EIU. Why make both teams travel way too far? They try to make it regional.

Okay, so they did have a little logic :)

In my world, GSU would have had the home game EIU was awarded ... guess I did leave that out :)

December 1st, 2005, 08:45 AM
I think the committee was trying to spare themselves the embarassment of having a nationally-televised semi-final game expose a weak road team like Furman & they'd get them out of the way this week in Richmond.Yeah, going 3-2 on the road is real weak. :rolleyes:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 1st, 2005, 09:34 AM
Everyone, unles UT-Chat. is in the field, must play on the road eventually in the Championship Game. Get used to it. Like some have said, JMU broke the glass ceiling that was consecutive road games to win the NC, so winning on the road is not a death sentence for a team.

It does suck for Furman fans to not get the gameday experience, but it happens. The methods and methodolgies will never be understood. I personally think the "committee" has some bias to certain schools for whatever reason, and I think Richmond is among those schools.

Luckily, most bars carry ESPNU so you can take over the bars in SC and give the ACC Championship a run for its money in the ratings! Seriously though, watching JMU beat FU last year in a bar in Richmond with 50 new freinds I hadn't met gave me a lasting memory as we took over that bar. For a city typically obsessed with VT and UVA, it was great to hear us singing our fightsong and cheering like crazed maniacs after that final drive for the big win!

The experience is what you make of it, home game or away game.

Beyond that, just ask Santa that next year you don't get screwed :xmas:
That's what us JMU fans did and you can see how far it got us! :doh:

December 1st, 2005, 09:58 AM
... JMU broke the glass ceiling that was consecutive road games to win the NC...You mean for the I-AA championship. GVSU did it in D-II in 2003.

DB_Atlantic10
December 1st, 2005, 10:22 AM
You mean for the I-AA championship. GVSU did it in D-II in 2003.

Now Ralph, Mr I-AA himself...do you really dislike JMU that much to have to bring up a D-II team on your and I mean your most loved AGS board!!! :asswhip:

FU97
December 1st, 2005, 04:30 PM

Someone sounds bitter that his poor little Michigan wannabee helmeted team is sitting at home......

OL FU
December 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM

:p :p :p :p
:D :D :D :D

you deserve this one.

See you in 2008 (if not 2006 or 2007) :D

eaglesrthe1
December 4th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Quit your whining, GSU fans complain all the time whenever they have to travel and you are starting to sound like them.

I know this is old news now, but I found this to be particularly funny. If UD were to EVER have to travel to an unseeded team, you would hear the wailing in Afghanistan. waa waa waa waa waa waa

FU97
December 4th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Bet you feel like a dumbass now. Of course, you're probably used to that...... The clearly better team won on Saturday night.

SpiderMo
December 4th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Enjoy your win, but admit you were in a battle. You hung on.

Play that game 10 times - no matter the location - and we win 4 or 5.

matfu
December 4th, 2005, 07:21 PM

i strongly disagree. we stopped ourselves on every drive until our 8th drive when we punted (td, missed fg,td, fg, fumble, td, holding followed by missed fg, punt). the score was closer than the game itself. we would beat you guys 8 out of 10 times; we were clearly the better team.

blukeys
December 4th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I know this is old news now, but I found this to be particularly funny. If UD were to EVER have to travel to an unseeded team, you would hear the wailing in Afghanistan. waa waa waa waa waa waa

You guys (GSU)traveled to a seeded team this year and squealed like a stuck pig about the unfairness of it all especially since Furman got a home game.

UD traveled to a seeded team in 2004 (A team they had already beaten during the regular season) and didn't say a word. The GSU whining about having to go to Texas State is a true example of waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa

FU97
December 4th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Richmond is a good team, but the better team won on Saturday. We stopped ourselves a heck of a lot more than Richmond stopped us. We didn't punt until our last drive.

SpiderMo
December 4th, 2005, 09:56 PM
i strongly disagree. we stopped ourselves on every drive until our 8th drive when we punted (td, missed fg,td, fg, fumble, td, holding followed by missed fg, punt). the score was closer than the game itself. we would beat you guys 8 out of 10 times; we were clearly the better team.

You were not "clearly" better. You had a couple missed field goals. we had a couple crucial dropped balls and a botched extra point. we were driving to win the game in the end and came up short.

we could go on and on about this, but i wont. just give us some credit.

OL FU
December 5th, 2005, 07:19 AM
You were not "clearly" better. You had a couple missed field goals. we had a couple crucial dropped balls and a botched extra point. we were driving to win the game in the end and came up short.

I enjoy these kinda conversations as long as other people are having them. You know as much as I want to jump in and have them when Furman loses, I usually have the good sense to stay out of them. :rolleyes:

Purple Knight
December 5th, 2005, 07:57 AM

You have a good team and I think you are probably right. Great game.

eaglesrthe1
December 5th, 2005, 04:02 PM
You guys (GSU)traveled to a seeded team this year and squealed like a stuck pig about the unfairness of it all especially since Furman got a home game.

UD traveled to a seeded team in 2004 (A team they had already beaten during the regular season) and didn't say a word. The GSU whining about having to go to Texas State is a true example of waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa

1st round= apples
2nd round = oranges

If GSU had went to Tx St in the orange round, there would not have been a beef.
If UD had traveled to Lafayette last year in the apple round, we would still be hearing about it.

Get with the right fruit there blukeys. waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa waa

matfu
December 5th, 2005, 05:07 PM

you all had a great year...but any unbiased observer would say furman dominated the game. the announcers on tv were saying that and even a few on your messageboard said " i felt like they dominated the game (you felt that way because we did) and yet we had a chance to win at the end".

if we can't agree, we can just agree furman won and moves on!