Husky Alum
April 27th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Talk is cheap.

Let's see him write a check.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 28th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Talk is cheap.

Let's see him write a check.

If he could get USC to play us a game, that could be the check that keeps giving.

Husky Alum
April 28th, 2009, 07:00 AM
That's years away, and that's a one shot deal, every few years.

And it's hardly enough to keep a program afloat.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 28th, 2009, 08:09 AM

usc averages 70,000 - 100,000 fans per game. Not to mention the fans who do not attend games. A good amount of those fans have ties to Cal State Fullerton and/or Orange County b/c there is not a 'local' team in the area to support. Alot of USC's recruits come from the 'territory' that belongs to Fullerton.

If we play USC, it would generate enough interests into Fullerton's program where we would find more investors, bring back alumni support and get us improved recruits.

I'm an usc fan b/c fullerton doesn't have a team. Once Fullerton gets a team, USC will lose my interest. There's many people who feel the same.

Mark Sanchez (recently drafted by the Jets) came from Orange County. Perhaps, if Fullerton was an alternative, we could have convinced him to come start for us instead of waiting out 3 years behind Matt Leinart and John David Booty. I'm not saying we would have been successful of landing him specifically, but you can imagine the many recruits we could syphen from usc.

GeauxLions94
April 28th, 2009, 09:50 AM

But get games with the other Cali schools (UCLA, Stanford, Cal), plus other schools in the Pac 10 (Arizona, Oregon State, WAZZU), Mountain West (UNLV, BYU, San Diego State), etc. and CSF would do just fine.

TxState_GO_CATS!
April 28th, 2009, 09:47 PM
But get games with the other Cali schools (UCLA, Stanford, Cal), plus other schools in the Pac 10 (Arizona, Oregon State, WAZZU), Mountain West (UNLV, BYU, San Diego State), etc. and CSF would do just fine.

not unless they, dare i say...beat xeekx the Trojansxlolx. they'd never get another FBS game.

haha, just a thought...but app st. proved these things are possible i guess. xeyebrowx

of course, if they beat the Trojans, their donors would have a 'gasm and empty out their pockets, improve the titans' recruiting, and send them straight to the Pac 10. xthumbsupx

coover
April 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
usc averages 70,000 - 100,000 fans per game. Not to mention the fans who do not attend games. A good amount of those fans have ties to Cal State Fullerton and/or Orange County b/c there is not a 'local' team in the area to support. Alot of USC's recruits come from the 'territory' that belongs to Fullerton.

If we play USC, it would generate enough interests into Fullerton's program where we would find more investors, bring back alumni support and get us improved recruits.

I'm an usc fan b/c fullerton doesn't have a team. Once Fullerton gets a team, USC will lose my interest. There's many people who feel the same.

Mark Sanchez (recently drafted by the Jets) came from Orange County. Perhaps, if Fullerton was an alternative, we could have convinced him to come start for us instead of waiting out 3 years behind Matt Leinart and John David Booty. I'm not saying we would have been successful of landing him specifically, but you can imagine the many recruits we could syphen from usc.

Not a chance in the world that Fullerton would get a game with any Pac-10 team until they build themselves a national reputation (and by that, I do not mean a national FCS reputation). They'll have to play well, first, at the FCS level (and have full FCS credentials) before any credible FBS level team would play them, and then move up to FBS to play the Trojans). That will probably take 10 or more years. And USC? Even after Fresno State went 1-A (FBS) several years ago, the Condom Heads wouldn't even think of playing them. It took a USC bad season and an invitation to a lower level bowl game where the foe was Fresno State to get USC to play them. And the rest of the Pac-10 will be just as difficult to schedule. Stanford decided to schedule UC Davis a few years back, and Davis beat them. The whole Pac-10 was embarrased and none of them will be scheduling an FCS team again in the near future.

JetsLuvver
April 29th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Even after Fresno State went 1-A (FBS) several years ago

Fresno State has always been considered a "major college" (I-A) program.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/wac/fresno_state/index.php

Football Classifications (NCAA started classification in 1937):

1937-1972 NCAA University Division (Major College)
1973-1977 NCAA Division I
1978-20XX NCAA Division I-A

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM

So was Fullerton before the program became defunct. We've played many big universities. Keeping up with them was what made us defunct.

coover
April 30th, 2009, 10:27 PM

No, they haven't always been a "major college", at least in football. When I was in school in the late 50s and early 60s, they were a member of the California Collegiate Athletic Association, a Division II league, which included Cal Poly, San Diego State, Los Angeles State, Long Beach State, UCSB, Cal State Northridge, and a couple of others I do not remember at this time. The rivalry between the Bulldogs and the Mustangs was huge. And yes, San Diego State was also D II at the time.

coover
April 30th, 2009, 10:44 PM
So was Fullerton before the program became defunct. We've played many big universities. Keeping up with them was what made us defunct.

Two things killed the Titans football program ... one was that the Los Angeles area population (including Orange County) had very little interest in collegiate programs that THEY did not consider major. As far as many folks were concerned, only the Condom Heads of USC and the Baby Blue Ursus Arctos of UCLA were worth watching ... and the 2nd reason was that the State Courts of Californa interpretted the laws as requiring more female collegiate sports participation. Many schools found the Courts requirements too costly and dropped football, rather than doing as the Courts expected, adding more programs for women.