PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra Spring Game

Uncle Buck
April 27th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Sorry no pics, but here is a writeup i posted on the CAAzone as well as the university's press release.

http://www.hofstra.edu/Athletics/Football/ath_fb_gameresult.cfm?gameID=E0621206-65B3-F1F2-644F14A499DAB065

I think we did look like we've shown improvement and yes, defense did a great job running to the ball. Here are my thoughts all around:

Offense:
QB: Probst definitely looked the calmest out there and his footwork was very solid. All but one throw was a catchable ball. Really seems to do well going through his progressions.
Sidaris looked good, but not as mobile as Probst. He did a nice job avoiding pressure, also threw a good ball, but you could see the experience helped Probst.

RB: Brock Jackolski caught a couple of balls out of the backfields and i believe he also broke off a great run up the middle after breaking several tackles. I believe Asante had a couple of tough runs, as did Benjamin. Not a lot of room, but they ran hard.

OL: Still a work in progress. Had some trouble with the blitz, but a lot of different personnel getting looks. I expect to see one or two new faces making an appearance, especially #74 Jordy Paulemon

TE: We have two very tall, very sure handed TE's. It was good to see them get the ball downfield. While they don't look like run blocking TE's, they definitely look like they can contribute big time. I did not see Bryant Carpenter, Riley's backup last year who showed decent hands as well.

WR: Will be a solid group, Weaver will be the star of this unit but a lot of kids who can catch the ball. However, we still didnt get a look at a burner who could stretch the field.

Defense:
DL: Flew around as a unit, still light in the a$$ but we seemed quick off the ball. Players that caught my eye, #91 Johnny Hartsfield (A couple of offsides, but seemed to always be near the ball), #56 Ronnie Cameron (got some time last year, looks stronger and quick), #90 Quincy Barr (Looked very good coming off the end. Quick and strong, could be our best pass rush threat in some time. Always working upfield toward the QB). Oh, also, I believe he wore #97, JUCO player Omar Jacobs who seems to have a great motor and flys to the ball as well.

LB: Again, undersized but two standouts on the day for me. His brother should like to hear this, Luke Bonus played tough in the middle and did a great job getting off blocks and making plays. Also, as coach pointed out in his recap, Basim Hudeen looked really really good. Again, undersized at 5'10", but he looked strong, fast and you can definitely tell he has been working to get better.

Secondary: We should be tough in the secondary with Jackman, McDonough and company. In addition, #1 Gerald Guerrier who moved over to DB from WR, he looked solid as well.

ST/PK/P: Punting, there was none, but Casciano working on his own seemed to get off some decent kicks. With that, i'll lead into PK. Cascianio was impressive with his hands, and getting bad snaps down. While you expect a LS to be able to stick it in a coffee can from 7 yards out, a few of the snaps were erratic. As for PK - Hanley has the stronger leg, Williams continued to look more accurate. Kickoffs still short, nothing inside the 10 and a couple that wen out of bounds.

All in all, improvement can be seen and you could see the weightroom has paid off for a number of the guys. I think on offense we will be okay and will be able to score points. Defensively, it'll continue to be a battle up front. We should have a lot of DL depth, but being smaller, we will really have to scheme and use quickness and blitz packages to throw off the teams that have bigger grind it out o-lines.

On another note, it was a very good crowd IMO for Hofstra. My suggestion, and i thought of it while walking from the tailgate to the stadium, why didn't the people at HU who market the sports send out something to all football season ticket holders talking up the spring game and maybe even offer a discount for the later 7pm lax tilt against Villanova. It was a triple header with the women's lax early, spring game, men's lax late. They could have publicized it and made it a great atmosphere, and this was on a walk from the lot to the stadium, imagine what i could do if they were paying me for it. A missed opportunity if you ask me.