PDA

View Full Version : Dudzik hurt in JMU Spring Game

JMU Newbill
April 27th, 2009, 06:34 AM
As many have probably read (or saw in person) by now, Drew Dudzik was injured on a pretty solid hit during a run in JMU's spring game. He reportedly suffered a concussion.

The competition for the starting qb role has been described as a "dead heat" between Thorpe and Dudzik. Because of Dudzik's injury in the spring game, Thorpe got more than his fair share of snaps.

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on a few topics.

1) Do you think Dudzik's toughness as a runner may come into question now?

2) Do you think Thorpe's performance in the spring game was enough to give him the advantage in the qb competition, or is it still a "dead heat"?

IMO, I think its fairly suspect when someone, escpecially a QB, gets hurt in a spring game. Its not like he rolled his ankle or tore his ACL because his leg got caught under someone.... he suffered a concussion. Now I was not there, so I can't comment fully, but I would imagine that a LB in a spring game did not hit the qb at 100% intensity. While I heard it was indeed a solid hit, I can't imagine its as hard as he is going to have to deal with getting hit all year. I have to be honest, I am a little concerned about his toughness as a running qb, which with JMU's system, is kind of what you need to be.

As for Thorpe, his numbers were not incredibly impressive, but I heard he looked very solid running the ball. I think spring football helps sort out these kind of position battles, but I think it will be August before this battle is decided.

Your thoughts?

ASUG8
April 27th, 2009, 06:54 AM
You always hate to hear about a "friendly fire" injury like this, but the QB needs to be conditioned to take a hit before the enemy begins taking shots at him during the season. I understand he's been a solid player when backing up Landers, but getting a concussion could make him a little gun-shy about aggressively running the ball if he starts this fall. I wish him the best and hope he's able to be back to 100% soon. xthumbsupx

jstclmet
April 27th, 2009, 07:06 AM
1. Concussions are very serious. If he indeed had one, then the right thing to do was to take him out. Generally once received, the player becomes more susceptible to getting future concussions, and it does not have to be from a blow to the head. Ask any physician, EMT, or medical expert. They can give you the specifics as to the seriousness of a concussion.

2. Depending on your program, most starting positions are fought for in the Spring. The LB applying the hit was undoubtedly fighting for his position. I'm sure no malice was intended, but you can't blame him for trying to win his position or show that he should be on the field.

Good luck to all involved.

spdram
April 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Sorry to hear about any kid getting hurt, especially something that can last a lifetime. Wish him the best! I agree with the other comments regarding the LB that made the hit. He was doing his job and unless the staff had the "red" or other jersey on the QB the LB did what he was taught. From what I understand the LB spots are wide open and he waas trying to step up and step in. As for Dudzik, some kids come back after a concussion as though it never happened, others are gun shy and never are the same. Only time will tell. I remember years ago Richmond had a QB with limited talent but the toughness of the world. This was before we knew as much about the long term consequesnces of concussions, he had about four or five before they would not let him play anymore. I cannot believe that would happen today.

Hoyadestroya85
April 27th, 2009, 07:45 AM
There is no doubt that no matter who starts, there will be dropoff at the QB position for JMU. I'd rather have it be an MCL or something than a concussion... concussions come back to haunt guys in that suicide offense that they run at JMU (and villanova for that matter)

JMU2004
April 27th, 2009, 08:23 AM
It was a solid hit that sent Dudzik's helmet flying, but it was not a terrible hit. He kinda got sandwiched by 2 tacklers. He popped up and went back to the huddle, but was called to the sidelines by coaches.

He was fine, joking with reporters on the sideline. There was no need to send him back in for a glorified scrimmage.

Thorpe looked real nice....just raw. He needs a lot more snaps during the summer practices.

89Hen
April 27th, 2009, 08:40 AM
You always hate to hear about a "friendly fire" injury like this
Oh, I don't know about that. xwhistlex

j/k hope he's fine.

jmufan999
April 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM
ok, i was there, and it certainly didn't look like a "dead heat" to me. not even close.

Drew is much, much more ready to start. Thorpe will need at least another year to watch. and i don't know that getting a concussion has anything to do with toughness. Steve Young got concussion after concussion, and i don't think anyone ever equated that with him being soft. watch the Montana game again and tell me he's not tough.

if anything, we should say he was being OVERLY aggressive. i remember the hit well, it was loud. but you have to blame Dudzik, not the defender. Dudzik kind of went in head first and that caused the collision. defender only did his job. Drew will be fine. yes, a concussion makes you more susceptible to concussions in the future, but there are plenty of players that only have one, so it's not like he's a lock to have another. someone else said it, he was joking around on the sideline afterward, i'm not concerned.

bluehenbillk
April 27th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Strange that they made the QB live. I was at the UD game Friday, QB wore a green jersey & whistle blew anytime someone got near them.

Dane96
April 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM
As many have probably read (or saw in person) by now, Drew Dudzik was injured on a pretty solid hit during a run in JMU's spring game. He reportedly suffered a concussion.

The competition for the starting qb role has been described as a "dead heat" between Thorpe and Dudzik. Because of Dudzik's injury in the spring game, Thorpe got more than his fair share of snaps.

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on a few topics.

1) Do you think Dudzik's toughness as a runner may come into question now?

2) Do you think Thorpe's performance in the spring game was enough to give him the advantage in the qb competition, or is it still a "dead heat"?

IMO, I think its fairly suspect when someone, escpecially a QB, gets hurt in a spring game. Its not like he rolled his ankle or tore his ACL because his leg got caught under someone.... he suffered a concussion. Now I was not there, so I can't comment fully, but I would imagine that a LB in a spring game did not hit the qb at 100% intensity. While I heard it was indeed a solid hit, I can't imagine its as hard as he is going to have to deal with getting hit all year. I have to be honest, I am a little concerned about his toughness as a running qb, which with JMU's system, is kind of what you need to be.

As for Thorpe, his numbers were not incredibly impressive, but I heard he looked very solid running the ball. I think spring football helps sort out these kind of position battles, but I think it will be August before this battle is decided.

Your thoughts?

I took a hit to the head with a baseball bat swing of a 2x4 (and I have the scar to prove it...some on this board have seen the picture)-- Never even knocked me out.

I took a nice shoulder check playing hockey but didnt get hit in the head straight on-- knocked out cold with concussion.

Pt-- dont know when you are going to go down...but you cant call someone a nancy or suspect for a concussion unless it's a regularity thing.

WMTribe90
April 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Few thoughts:

1) I was amazed at Landers durability as much as his athleticism over the past few years. I don't think JMU (or any program) can count on a QB taking that much contact and not getting injured.

2) For whatever reason some people are more prone to concussions than others. Two guys can take the same hit and one wil get a concussion and the other won't. Either way, if Dudzik has already suffered a concussion the probability of future concussions has increased.

3) While Dudzik is a talented runner and has natural ability similar to Landers, he does not appear to be built as solidly as Landers. If I was a JMU fan I want to see MM adjust the offense (more passing, less QB read option).

JMU Newbill
April 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
All good points. I wish I could have been there but I had to a wedding.

Thanks for the feedback.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Strange that they made the QB live. I was at the UD game Friday, QB wore a green jersey & whistle blew anytime someone got near them.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think a defensive player got within 5 yards of our QBs in the Spring game. The QB's had a different color jersey too!

DuckDuckGriz
April 27th, 2009, 09:35 PM
That sucks to hear. That guy is a gamer for sure.

blukeys
April 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Few thoughts:

1) I was amazed at Landers durability as much as his athleticism over the past few years. I don't think JMU (or any program) can count on a QB taking that much contact and not getting injured.

2) For whatever reason some people are more prone to concussions than others. Two guys can take the same hit and one wil get a concussion and the other won't. Either way, if Dudzik has already suffered a concussion the probability of future concussions has increased.

3) While Dudzik is a talented runner and has natural ability similar to Landers, he does not appear to be built as solidly as Landers. If I was a JMU fan I want to see MM adjust the offense (more passing, less QB read option).

I'm with you on all points. Let's cross our fingers and hope that this is the last concussion for this young man. We all remember Eric Lindros once his concussion bug got in gear, any hit could bring on his 4th, 5th, and 6th concussions.

GATA
April 28th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Few thoughts:

I saw Landers play 2 or 3 times and I agree the guy was a stud who could take punishment. Jayson Foster also took a ton of shots in 2007 and I'm surprised he didn't break in half. When he was our flexbone option QB in 2005 he got his bell rung alot too, but he was a tough kid.

Reign of Terrier
April 28th, 2009, 09:19 PM
There is no doubt that no matter who starts, there will be dropoff at the QB position for JMU. I'd rather have it be an MCL or something than a concussion... concussions come back to haunt guys in that suicide offense that they run at JMU (and villanova for that matter)

MCL injury is one of the "better" knee injuries--an average tear takes about a month to heal (not to mention the rehab that has to be done)