PDA

View Full Version : URI Blue vs. White game

Cobblestone
April 25th, 2009, 09:15 PM
What a great day. A sunny day in Kingston not far from the beaches and a full day of football.

The Blue bested the White 20-14 in OT. Here are some notes:

1. Our QB job is filled. Chris-Paul Etienne has the job and I for one am glad we have this guy in a URI uniform. Normally I don't get too excited over transfers from I-A programs but this dude is an ATHLETE in every sense of the word. He can pass and run. 17-of-29 for 162 yards in the air and ran for 90 yards. Thanks to Darren Rizzi for bringing this guy in from Rutgers.

2. I personally love our offense. We have a strong passing game and depth at the WR position. Brandon Johnson-Farrell and Shawn Leonard had solid performances. I don't have hard numbers but both of these guys made big catches when the Blue team needed them.

3. Sweet running by Ryan Lawrence! Here again I don't have hard numbers but he ran for 2 TDs and I would say rushed for 100 yards. Casey was in shorts and jersey on the bench but I can't help but think if he comes back 100% this season that he and Lawrence will compliment each other nicely in the backfield. It looks like we'll have a well balanced attack on offense. One thing for sure...our offense will score and put up plenty of passing numbers this season; we won't be boring.

4. I have some concerns about our offensive line. They're pretty big and athletic but there were times when I think Etienne's protection broke down a little too quickly. They also had a few too many penalties IMO. They need to give Etienne a bit more time to throw. On the other hand I like it when "CP" tucks it in and runs; he can get the yardage.

5. One thing I like about our offense is we can move the ball down the field with our passing attack and then punch it in on the ground when we are on the 10. In the past that was a problem. With the d!cked up offense that Stowers ran we'd move the ball down the field then stall in the red zone. This was pretty much a Stowers trademark.

6. Defense. Terrance Glenn is a 1st team CAA selection. The guy can COVER! I also like the fact that he is our PR since he is sure-handed.

7. Good job by the DL. I saw some good penetration today. Victor Adesanya (DE) had a bunch of tackles. As usual (LB) Hansen was all over the place today. Wherever the ball is, he is.

8. Special Teams. Our long snaps have improved tremendously. Punting looks solid with Edger, Feinstein was consistent today with the kicking game. All punts were fair caught, here again Glenn has good hands.

9. Coaching. I like Trainer's style. The team appears to be motivated and disciplined. I think he has his players believing they can win. Trainer is picking up where Rizzi left off. I think this will be the year when the stench of Stowers starts to wear off.

10. I'm sure the weather helped but there was a respectable size crowd at the game today. It was good to see the support.

GO RHODY!

Bos8
April 25th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the recap. I watched the whole thing online, but it was kind of difficult to keep up with the game.
The one complaint I have is they seemed to throw a lot of screens, just like last season. I felt that Stefkovich threw the ball down field more often then CPE. With all we heard about CPE's arm, I would have like to see him throw the deep ball more. With that said, he looked real good. He has a better arm then Cassidy, and seems much more athletic.
Defense was very solid. Adesanya had a great game. Rob Damon seemed to adjust well to the LB position as he was in on a lot of plays. Hansen was all over the field. Did Steve Weeden play?
Lawrence looked great. He was very fast getting to the outside and turning the corner. We have a good QB, two good rbs and great recievers.We have a few good TE's with Wilson, and the two transfers...We just need the blocking.

Was that who I thought it was on the PA?

MR. CHICKEN
April 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM
YEAH GREAT RHODEY FANS.....HOWEVERAH....YOU'RE IN DUH CAA.......:(.......DOODLE-DOO!!

Dawg2Rhody
April 26th, 2009, 06:28 AM
YOU NEVAH KNOW...MAYBE THINGS ARE A CHANGING IN KINGSTON. AFTER ALL THE NEWIRK TEMPLATE IS BEING FOLLOWED HERE WITH THE TRANSFER QB. NOW ALL THE RHODY FANS HAVE TO DO IS START ACTING AS DUMB AS "SOME" OF THE NEWIRK FANS.

Go Rhody! Great day yesterday, looking forward to a big 09 season!

MR. CHICKEN
April 26th, 2009, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE=Dawg2Rhody;1335129]YOU NEVAH KNOW...MAYBE THINGS ARE A CHANGING IN KINGSTON. AFTER ALL THE NEWIRK TEMPLATE IS BEING FOLLOWED HERE WITH THE TRANSFER QB. NOW ALL THE RHODY FANS HAVE TO DO IS START ACTING AS DUMB AS "SOME" OF THE NEWIRK FANS.

FLATTERY...SIR......WILL GET YA..EVERAHWHERE.............:D...........AWK!

Ram Ball
April 27th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Adesanya was an absolute beast....all over the field with 9 tackles.
Ryan Lawrence ran for 126 and 2 TDs, including one he broke for 35.
I was also very impressed with Etienne.

BOX SCORE (http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/urifbsg.html)

My face is bright pink from sitting in the East stands.

Brad82
April 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Is Chrupcala a scholarship kid?
How about Bentsen-incoming frosh QB from Warwick Vets?

Thanks

UNH SUPERFAN
April 29th, 2009, 07:25 AM
There is an O-Lineman named Foster, can't think of his first name, from Vermont, how is he doing (I know few were watching the OL!)? I think he played last year as a freshman.

Cobblestone
April 29th, 2009, 10:56 AM
There is an O-Lineman named Foster, can't think of his first name, from Vermont, how is he doing (I know few were watching the OL!)? I think he played last year as a freshman.

Jason Foster. OT but I'm not sure if he is a starter. Has good size though.