PDA

View Full Version : Sewak's stats

GSUsTALON
November 29th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I’m not just talking about GSU here but getting rid of a coach with these stats. THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER!!! I may not be a big Sewak fan but I think I would have let him release the defensive coordinator & given him 2 more years. Is there more here than is being released at this time?

2002 11-3 rushing386ypg total470ypg 35points pg

2003 7-4 rushing336ypg total415ypg 28points pg

2004 9-3 rushing373ypg total497ypg 49points pg

2005 8-4 rushing370ypg total450ypg 38points pg

Here’s my worry - if you push to hard the pressure can lead to shortcuts. We won 6 of 8 NCs with no NCAA violations- what now?

Has the drive for a NC every four years gotten out of hand?

GSUsTALON
November 29th, 2005, 08:25 PM
It would be sad, but the defenses today are now getting to the point where they can defend against the triple option adequately. Defense is always the last component to come together as far as capabilities.

Why don't the pros run the triple option? Because the defenses are too good.

This is of course my personal opinion and am not trying to make GSU'ers feel bad. Just trying to point out what the future may hold.

Ive have heard that for the last 22 years and it WRONG!

I WILL PUT OUR OFFENSIVE STATS UP AGAINST ANYONES. THIS IS THE ONLY OFFENSE WE HAVE RUN SINCE 1984 and is the only offense in 1AA THAT HAS PLAYED FOR 8NCs and won 6. It not the offense thats the problem. IT IS CONSISTANTLY THE MOST POWERFULL OFFENSE IN 1AA. IF ANYONE SAYS WEST COAST OFFENSE I WILL KICK YOU IN THE NADS. PAUL JOHNSON IS THE WINNINGIST NAVY COACH IN THAT PROGRAMS LONG HISTORY AND IT AINT THE D THATS DOING IT AT NAVY!

Eagles_Cliff
November 29th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I’m not just talking about GSU here but getting rid of a coach with these stats. THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER!!! I may not be a big Sewak fan but I think I would have let him release the defensive coordinator & given him 2 more years. Is there more here than is being released at this time?

2002 11-3 rushing386ypg total470ypg 35points pg

2003 7-4 rushing336ypg total415ypg 28points pg

2004 9-3 rushing373ypg total497ypg 49points pg

2005 8-4 rushing370ypg total450ypg 38points pg

Here’s my worry - if you push to hard the pressure can lead to shortcuts. We won 6 of 8 NCs with no NCAA violations- what now?

Has the drive for a NC every four years gotten out of hand?

You failed to mention the stats that got him fired:
vs Ranked Opps 8-9
games decided by 7 points or less 6-10
games decided by 3 points or less 3-3
playoff games 2-3

Mike Sewak is a good guy and knowledgeable with X's and O's, but he lacks the leadership ability to be a great Head Coach. There are indeed many schools that would be content, even happy, with a record like GSU's the last 4 years, but GSU is not one of them.

I have listened to UGA fans talk about the 1980 NC for 25 years. Each year, they fill their 93,000 seat stadium regularly and could sell out of season tickets if every current holder failed to renew. UGA spends $7 million a year on their football program and always underachieve. The fans make excuses and say "wait 'til next year" and made special licence plates when they won the SEC in 2002 for the first time in 20 years. Count me out.

Georgia Southern Fans can be called arrogant, spoiled, unreasonable, etc. Those things may be true...but the insistance on nothing less than competing for a national championship annually is what sets our program apart from others.

Dallas Cowboys of yester year, New York Yankees, and Notre Dame are a few organizations that demand or have a history of demanding Championships as a measure of success. Think how the Red Sox and Cubs fans have suffered loyally through their 20th century misery...imagine Yankee fans accepting a similar fate in the 21st century? You know they wouldn't.

Finally, many people questioned the firing of Tim Stowers following a successful season (9-4) in 1995 in which GSU lost in the 2nd round to Montana 45-0. At that time Stowers was 51-23 with a NC (Erk's Team) and 3 playoff appearances in 6 seasons as Head Coach. Sam Baker and many GSU fans didnt like the mediocre direction our program was headed in and Stowers was fired. Many observers thought it unfair of Mr. Baker and GSU supporters to have such high expectations. Our 4 NC (at the time) had caused us to be unreasonably demanding and we should understand that things were more competitive in the 1990's, our offense was outdated, and we should consider running the same Pro I "balanced" offense that everyone else runs.

Interim Coach Frank Ellwood precided over GSU's only losing season (4-7) in 1996. Paul Johnson was hired and brought the triple option back with a vengeance:
1997 - 10-3 SoCon Champs lost 2nd round in Newark 16-7
1998 - 14-1 SoCon Champs gave UMass 7 turnovers to defeat us by 12 points in NC
1999 - 13-2 SoCon Champs/Nat'l Champs
2000 - 13-2 SoCon Champs/Nat'l Champs
2001 - 12-2 SoCon Champs - Lost to Furman at home in Semi's the week Johnson announced being hired by Navy

Since he began at Rhode Island, Tim Stowers is 26-42. Hindsight being 20/20, I think Sam Baker made the right decision in 1995 and 10 years later, I'll hope he's right again.

DB_Atlantic10
November 29th, 2005, 11:46 PM
You failed to mention the stats that got him fired:
vs Ranked Opps 8-9
games decided by 7 points or less 6-10
games decided by 3 points or less 3-3
playoff games 2-3

Mike Sewak is a good guy and knowledgeable with X's and O's, but he lacks the leadership ability to be a great Head Coach. There are indeed many schools that would be content, even happy, with a record like GSU's the last 4 years, but GSU is not one of them.

I have listened to UGA fans talk about the 1980 NC for 25 years. Each year, they fill their 93,000 seat stadium regularly and could sell out of season tickets if every current holder failed to renew. UGA spends $7 million a year on their football program and always underachieve. The fans make excuses and say "wait 'til next year" and made special licence plates when they won the SEC in 2002 for the first time in 20 years. Count me out.

Georgia Southern Fans can be called arrogant, spoiled, unreasonable, etc. Those things may be true...but the insistance on nothing less than competing for a national championship annually is what sets our program apart from others.

Dallas Cowboys of yester year, New York Yankees, and Notre Dame are a few organizations that demand or have a history of demanding Championships as a measure of success. Think how the Red Sox and Cubs fans have suffered loyally through their 20th century misery...imagine Yankee fans accepting a similar fate in the 21st century? You know they wouldn't.

Finally, many people questioned the firing of Tim Stowers following a successful season (9-4) in 1995 in which GSU lost in the 2nd round to Montana 45-0. At that time Stowers was 51-23 with a NC (Erk's Team) and 3 playoff appearances in 6 seasons as Head Coach. Sam Baker and many GSU fans didnt like the mediocre direction our program was headed in and Stowers was fired. Many observers thought it unfair of Mr. Baker and GSU supporters to have such high expectations. Our 4 NC (at the time) had caused us to be unreasonably demanding and we should understand that things were more competitive in the 1990's, our offense was outdated, and we should consider running the same Pro I "balanced" offense that everyone else runs.

Interim Coach Frank Ellwood precided over GSU's only losing season (4-7) in 1996. Paul Johnson was hired and brought the triple option back with a vengeance:
1997 - 10-3 SoCon Champs lost 2nd round in Newark 16-7
1998 - 14-1 SoCon Champs gave UMass 7 turnovers to defeat us by 12 points in NC
1999 - 13-2 SoCon Champs/Nat'l Champs
2000 - 13-2 SoCon Champs/Nat'l Champs
2001 - 12-2 SoCon Champs - Lost to Furman at home in Semi's the week Johnson announced being hired by Navy

Since he began at Rhode Island, Tim Stowers is 26-42. Hindsight being 20/20, I think Sam Baker made the right decision in 1995 and 10 years later, I'll hope he's right again.

Your history's great as it should be, but I don't buy it.... GSU was winning before a lot of things in football had changed. Recruiting has changed, more and more players are getting exposure and aren't willing to settle for GSU when UGA and G-Tech did not have the space or schollies. Players are headed to other larger schools or the MAC, Conf USA and other mid-major I-A programs for a chance at the big dance in the NFL...and the only way to get there is exposure and stats....and GSU may not be the place for that as it was 10 to 15 years ago. Quarterbacks want to throw and receivers want to catch.....can the next Leftwich or TO be found in the current GSU system? Or will a kid turn down a full ride to Troy, FL Atlantic, FL Intl or a few other of those new I-A spins in the south for GSU? There are just too many I-As popping up across the south and I-AA just isn't as attractive anymore. I wish GSU well in their quest to be on top again, but the road will be long and rough. They probably should have made that move up when they were on top.....

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2005, 02:28 AM

I WILL PUT OUR OFFENSIVE STATS UP AGAINST ANYONES. THIS IS THE ONLY OFFENSE WE HAVE RUN SINCE 1984 and is the only offense in 1AA THAT HAS PLAYED FOR 8NCs and won 6. It not the offense thats the problem. IT IS CONSISTANTLY THE MOST POWERFULL OFFENSE IN 1AA. IF ANYONE SAYS WEST COAST OFFENSE I WILL KICK YOU IN THE NADS. PAUL JOHNSON IS THE WINNINGIST NAVY COACH IN THAT PROGRAMS LONG HISTORY AND IT AINT THE D THATS DOING IT AT NAVY!

deep breaths, deep breaths

November 30th, 2005, 02:33 AM
deep breaths, deep breathsfunny, that's what most GaSU opponent's coaches are telling their defense.

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2005, 02:39 AM
funny, that's what most GaSU opponent's coaches are telling their defense.
LOL :coach: :coach:

GSUISBACK
November 30th, 2005, 03:18 AM
Your history's great as it should be, but I don't buy it.... GSU was winning before a lot of things in football had changed. Recruiting has changed, more and more players are getting exposure and aren't willing to settle for GSU when UGA and G-Tech did not have the space or schollies. Players are headed to other larger schools or the MAC, Conf USA and other mid-major I-A programs for a chance at the big dance in the NFL...and the only way to get there is exposure and stats....and GSU may not be the place for that as it was 10 to 15 years ago. Quarterbacks want to throw and receivers want to catch.....can the next Leftwich or TO be found in the current GSU system? Or will a kid turn down a full ride to Troy, FL Atlantic, FL Intl or a few other of those new I-A spins in the south for GSU? There are just too many I-As popping up across the south and I-AA just isn't as attractive anymore. I wish GSU well in their quest to be on top again, but the road will be long and rough. They probably should have made that move up when they were on top.....
We dont recruit players like T.O and Leftwich we recruit players who fit our system and WANT to play in our system. Iaa hasnt changed in the 5 years we went back to back. We lost to UNH and Txst because of poor 2nd half coaching plain and simple. GSU has never had much NFL talent but we have had triple option talent that why we won.

JohnStOnge
November 30th, 2005, 05:29 AM

GSU has never been a big producer of NFL talent. They lost Saturday after putting up 35 points and 499 yards total offense against a defense that went into the game ranked in the top 10 of both scoring and total defense (they're 15 and 21 now after Georgia Southern).

Offense wasn't the problem. The giving up 50 points and 594 yards to the other guys was the problem.

Kill'em
November 30th, 2005, 07:54 AM
It definitely is NOT the offense. It is the defense that helped doom Sewak, and I stress "helped." I don't think anyone can consistently shut this offense down and it will put up points. The problem is when the defensive line only averages 250 pounds per man, then it relies too much on the blitz to pressure the quarterback. This leaves gaps in pass coverage. We need to get away from completely relying on defensive speed and get some bigger lineman who can successfully beat the big offensive lineman and not rely so much on the blitz. As much as we blitzed, it became predictable. Any quarterback worth a hoot will recognize this and exploit it.

bandl
November 30th, 2005, 09:18 AM
IF ANYONE SAYS WEST COAST OFFENSE I WILL KICK YOU IN THE NADS.

west coast offense...

i'm wearing a cup, so HA! LOL

texcap
November 30th, 2005, 09:34 AM

That statement is just flat out wrong. I like Paul Johnson as a coach and a person, and I have a lot of respect for him and what is had done and is currently doing at the academy, but he is not even close to some of the Navy coaches from the the great years of Academy (Army and Navy) football in terms of # of wins or winning percentage. From 1904 to 1964 Navy only had two coaches with losing records. Even in the modern era I am pretty sure that George Welsh had a better winning percentage, and I know a lot more wins just because he was there longer. Will Paul be the winningest all-time coach in Navy's histpry? Who knows, but he is not now.

Of course, what Paul is doing today, with the type of players he can recruit is nothing short of a miracle, but to ignore such a great history of Navy football is wrong.

If you want to say that Paul is the winningest coach at GSU (in percentage, not number of wins), you would be correct.

DB_Atlantic10
November 30th, 2005, 11:47 AM
We dont recruit players like T.O and Leftwich we recruit players who fit our system and WANT to play in our system. Iaa hasnt changed in the 5 years we went back to back. We lost to UNH and Txst because of poor 2nd half coaching plain and simple. GSU has never had much NFL talent but we have had triple option talent that why we won.

So does that mean consistent NCs...and fire the coach if not? My point was based on I-AA as a whole, which effects GSU....kids just aren't willing to play in those systems anymore if they know something else around the corner is better....just because they will work in your system, does not mean that they want to play in it. With the onset of Nike Camps and national combines, more and more kids are getting choices beyond the grip of GSU and are chosing other places. Kids are a lot smarter now....and if you mention Triple Option, it's equivalent to saying we play on Astro Turf! :eyebrow:

DemiGS
November 30th, 2005, 12:41 PM
So does that mean consistent NCs...and fire the coach if not? My point was based on I-AA as a whole, which effects GSU....kids just aren't willing to play in those systems anymore if they know something else around the corner is better....just because it's they will work in your system, does not mean that they want to play in it. With the onset of Nike Camps and national combines, more and more kids are getting choices beyond the grip of GSU and are chosing other places. Kids are a lot smarter now....and if you mention Triple Option, it's equivalent to saying we play on Astro Turf! :eyebrow:

Judging from your post, I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you anything different. You obviously have no respect for the option, but more importantly you just aren't understanding the point that’s been made over and over again. Generally we don't compete with more traditional offenses for talent. We go after different talent. Our linemen would never be linemen at UGA, and our QBs would certainly not be calling the plays for Florida. We win some and we lose some, but this lowly, outdated, unattractive option has been arguably the most potent offense in I-AA for 20 years. You are not alone in your opinions. I've listened to people for years point out the flaws, and dismiss our "one dimensional" offense. Apparently, all you have to do is "play assignment football" and the option is completely shut down. Well, now that we've figured that out...I would expect GSU to be completely ineffective next year because all of our opponents have the formula for success that’s been so elusive for 20 years. xidiotx

DB_Atlantic10
November 30th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Judging from your post, I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you anything different. You obviously have no respect for the option, but more importantly you just aren't understanding the point that’s been made over and over again. Generally we don't compete with more traditional offenses for talent. We go after different talent. Our linemen would never be linemen at UGA, and our QBs would certainly not be calling the plays for Florida. We win some and we lose some, but this lowly, outdated, unattractive option has been arguably the most potent offense in I-AA for 20 years. You are not alone in your opinions. I've listened to people for years point out the flaws, and dismiss our "one dimensional" offense. Apparently, all you have to do is "play assignment football" and the option is completely shut down. Well, now that we've figured that out...I would expect GSU to be completely ineffective next year because all of our opponents have the formula for success that’s been so elusive for 20 years. xidiotx

I honestly have nothing against the option... I actually like it... hell run it until you turn blue in the face. Recruit who you want and so on and so on. I just can't imagine GSU getting their first choice in kids simply because they fit their system..... I also don't see, even if getting those kids, equates to NCs every year in a changed I-AA environment. Your place in history is there, but there are way too many new kids on the block for any one team to win it over and over again. I'd say keep running the option or whatever offense....it's just unfair to whomever assumes the job that a title is the only way to stay there...there are 100 plus teams gunning for that darn thing....Heck the A-10 is hot right now and no new coach is going to be able to change that.....

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I agree, I-AA has more talent spread across the board now than it did 15-20 years ago. At the same time, it has only been 5 years since Georgia Southern won back to back National Championships. If you recall we won it in 1999 and 2000, so to say it cannot be done in todays' game is incorrect.

DB_Atlantic10
November 30th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I'm sure it can be done....but by who, when and how long? GSU seems to think that it should be them....time is moving fast and in about 30 days, 2000 will have been 6 years and 6 seasons ago... Good Luck, because at this pace, your coaches board will become more storied than your trophy case..... :bawling: