PDA

View Full Version : Indiana St 2009 schedule question

nwFL Griz
April 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Need a sycamore fan to chime in here.

According to their website, Indiana St will open the season on 8/27, hosting Quincy. As we all know, 9/3 is the earliest games are allowed for FCS and FBS teams this year. I suppose ISU could have a awaiver from the NCAA for this.

So, anyone know anything?

igo4uni
April 24th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Does Indy State still have a football program??

achrist70
April 24th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Does Indy State still have a football program??

That's a good question!xlolxxlolxxlolx

Keeper
April 25th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Found in article from tribstar.com 4/18 (Terre Haute News)

"The Sycamores’ season opener will be the last weekend of August, Miles said. ISU was cleared by the NCAA to play Quincy University prior to the NCAA’s universal start date of Sept. 1. Miles said the season opener will take place either Aug. 27, on a Thursday, or Aug. 29."

nwFL Griz
April 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Found in article from tribstar.com 4/18 (Terre Haute News)

"The Sycamores’ season opener will be the last weekend of August, Miles said. ISU was cleared by the NCAA to play Quincy University prior to the NCAA’s universal start date of Sept. 1. Miles said the season opener will take place either Aug. 27, on a Thursday, or Aug. 29."

Thanks for the info....stinking Sycamores, ruining my schedule format.

Keeper
April 25th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Indeed. Takes up one whole column in my spreadsheet.xnonono2x

Sycamore51
April 29th, 2009, 07:30 AM
We play that Thursday night. It was the only time we could get it in. I think the NCAA felt sorry for us and changed the rules to give us a shot at breaking the streak.

isutom
April 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM
for being such a terrible program...isu just got a transfer quarterback from the university of wyoming....he started for the cowboys and led them to wins over tennessee and san diego state last season...he is a sophomore and has three years to play...

it's funny...you would think fans of fcs football would like to see a program that has been down for so long try to make a successful come back....with so many schools deciding to cut the sport and athletic departments having financial troubles, indiana state officials are actually putting money back into the program....and trying to make a go of it....it's somewhat refreshing....

i thought this site was to promote fcs football...that's why i started posting here....but everytime time something about indiana state comes up, all i see are people taking snipes....

it's bad enough fcs teams have to have bcs schools looking down their noses at fcs programs...but when fcs schools start doing the same thing, i think that's bit much.....i guess there's snobery everywhere....lol....

RabidRabbit
April 29th, 2009, 03:11 PM
for being such a terrible program...isu just got a transfer quarterback from the university of wyoming....he started for the cowboys and led them to wins over tennessee and san diego state last season...he is a sophomore and has three years to play...

it's funny...you would think fans of fcs football would like to see a program that has been down for so long try to make a successful come back....with so many schools deciding to cut the sport and athletic departments having financial troubles, indiana state officials are actually putting money back into the program....and trying to make a go of it....it's somewhat refreshing....

i thought this site was to promote fcs football...that's why i started posting here....but everytime time something about indiana state comes up, all i see are people taking snipes....

it's bad enough fcs teams have to have bcs schools looking down their noses at fcs programs...but when fcs schools start doing the same thing, i think that's bit much.....i guess there's snobery everywhere....lol....

Tom - Thanks for participating here, ISU Blue needs backers like you. xthumbsupx

Your coach is doing the rebuilding the right way. The Syc's have been the doormat for so long that it will take sustained success to rub that out. Looking at your schedule for this year, IMHO, you'll get that first win in 3 xbawlingx years. May even have success with a game or two in the MVFC. IL St and Mo St appear to be the most suspetible. Unfortunately, my bet is that ISU Blue is at least 2 years from making a .500 season.

nwFL Griz
April 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Wow, no chip on your shoulder, huh?

The only negative comment here was from me, and it was about how I would have to adjust my spreadsheet to accomodate the oddball date of the Sycamore's opening game. No one is denigrating the actual Sycamore program, so please, relax.

isutom
April 30th, 2009, 08:04 AM
griz...you would have a chip on your shoulder too if everytime anything is posted...well, just about every time....about indiana state....there is a wise crack...a smart ass remark....if people actally knew the crap and the hoops that the program has been forced to go through in recent years....with an athletic adminstration hell bent on forcing the program out....then you might be a tad touchy too....lol....

fortunately, isu now has an athletic director and president who both enjoy football...and want to see it succeed...have upped the budget for recruiting...have taken the recruiting limits off the coaching staff...and are upgrading facilities......

i apologize if you think my comments were aimed at you.....just in general...and you got caught in the crossfire...lol....

Sycamore51
April 30th, 2009, 08:18 AM
As a fellow ISU guy, I can vouch that there is a possitive buzz about our program that I've never seen. I hear some shots taken at us too, but the fact of the matter is I understand where they come from. I'm glad to see Tom is showing up and lending support for the Syc's. I thought I was the only one for a while.

MaroonDoom
April 30th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Good luck ISU in '09. A school that Bubba the Love Sponge attended makes you guys top notch in my book.

Sycamore51
April 30th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Good luck ISU in '09. A school that Bubba the Love Sponge attended makes you guys top notch in my book. To be honest with you, I had no idea. He's even more famous that that Bird guy

DetroitFlyer
April 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Welcome to the PFL.... Oh wait, ISU is not a PFL team....

TheBisonator
April 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
As a fellow ISU guy, I can vouch that there is a possitive buzz about our program that I've never seen. I hear some shots taken at us too, but the fact of the matter is I understand where they come from. I'm glad to see Tom is showing up and lending support for the Syc's. I thought I was the only one for a while.

I hope you guys can average more than 5,000 fans per game this year. ISU Blue doesn't deserve some of the crowds it gets, regardless of record.

Sycamore51
May 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM
I hope you guys can average more than 5,000 fans per game this year. ISU Blue doesn't deserve some of the crowds it gets, regardless of record. Yeah, if we lived in BFE nowhere dakota we could probably get big crowds too. Instead we live an hour from Purdue, IU, and UI. Not to mention St. Louis and Indy. I bet the cattle love football season in north dakota, it's the only break from the unwanted loving that they get!

I-AA Fan
May 1st, 2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah, if we lived in BFE nowhere dakota we could probably get big crowds too. Instead we live an hour from Purdue, IU, and UI. Not to mention St. Louis and Indy. I bet the cattle love football season in north dakota, it's the only break from the unwanted loving that they get!

I enjoyed that post 51 ...Those xDSU's are acting mighty high for being the newbies that they are. However, I really liked your last new HC, and he could not do anything with the Trees. Although there seems to be more $$$ being discussed these days ...is this truly the case?

Sycamore51
May 1st, 2009, 01:04 PM
I enjoyed that post 51 ...Those xDSU's are acting mighty high for being the newbies that they are. However, I really liked your last new HC, and he could not do anything with the Trees. Although there seems to be more $$$ being discussed these days ...is this truly the case? There is money being discussed. Talk of a new stadium, but who knows. I do know however they are making some nice upgrades to the old stadium this summer. New turf and what not.

FargoBison
May 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah, if we lived in BFE nowhere dakota we could probably get big crowds too. Instead we live an hour from Purdue, IU, and UI. Not to mention St. Louis and Indy. I bet the cattle love football season in north dakota, it's the only break from the unwanted loving that they get!

So your school is located near millions of people, and yet you claim NDSU has the advantage? The fact is if you don't put a quality team on the field nobody will show up, trust me, 2002 proved that in Fargo. Things got pretty sparse at the end of that 2-8 season.

UNI Pike
May 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the PFL.... Oh wait, ISU is not a PFL team....

ISU to the PFL double the SOS of both leagues

ValleyChamp
May 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Indy State, you deserve all of the crap talk, because for a long time now you have been an embarassment. For now, you just gotta take it like a man. Because when you make it back to success (and you will), you can once again be the one that can talk smack.

Thunderstruck84
May 1st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Did someone from ND piss in your wheaties this morning? If NDSU had lost 50 of it's last 51 games we'd draw less than 5,000 too.

I-AA Fan
May 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM
So your school is located near millions of people, and yet you claim NDSU has the advantage? The fact is if you don't put a quality team on the field nobody will show up, trust me, 2002 proved that in Fargo. Things got pretty sparse at the end of that 2-8 season.

I think he was stating the opposite. When you have competition, it is difficult to draw. When you are "the only game in town (or state in this case) ...it isn't. Ask Montana and Delaware about that. Same thing with the Dakotas. Try being AA in Ohio or Florida.

ValleyChamp
May 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM
I think he was stating the opposite. When you have competition, it is difficult to draw. When you are "the only game in town (or state in this case) ...it isn't. Ask Montana and Delaware about that. Same thing with the Dakotas. Try being AA in Ohio or Florida.

This is a point that people always forget. Being only show in town means everything.

FargoBison
May 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM

If Indiana State would win I'm sure they would draw, they do have competition, but they also aren't drawing from a 650,000 person population base.

Just look at YSU, when you guys have success you are in the top 5 of FCS attendance usually.

JayJ79
May 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
I enjoyed that post 51 ...Those xDSU's are acting mighty high for being the newbies that they are. However, I really liked your last new HC, and he could not do anything with the Trees. Although there seems to be more $$$ being discussed these days ...is this truly the case?

Are you talking about Lou West or Trent Miles?

I'm going to guess West, because it is far too early to say that Miles "cound not do anything with the Trees".

isutom
May 3rd, 2009, 11:30 PM
indiana state FINALLY has the full backing of an athletic director and the university president for its football program. that has not always been the case, which is why the program is been down for so long (since back-toback i-aa playoff appearances in 1983 and 1984 and a number one national ranking in 1984).

they have started a remodeling project at memorial stadium with new turf, new locker room for indiana state (opponents will get isu's old locker room), an enlarged athletic training area, an enlarged equipment room and meeting rooms. that's phase one, which began about a week ago and should be finished this summer in time for the 2009 season.

phase two will begin after next spring practice with additional locker room and office space for the women's soccer program.

money has also been spent on campus with a new set of offices for the football program, moving across the street from the old isu arena (where the old, cramped office space was located) to the ground floor of the building across the street. the office space is much bigger with a players lounge, meeting rooms, video rooms, a study center and coaches offices.

after the new baseball stadium is built this summer, they will begin searching for an on-campus site to build a new multi-purpose football stadium. it would be used by football, track and field, and women's soccer.

isu's new president and athletic director both agree that facilities for athletics have been left lacking in recent years, especially when it came to football. a fund-raising campaign is now underway to help finance the new football stadium.

and as some have mentioned here earlier, there is a new positive buzz surrounding the football program. two good recruiting classes plus the news last week that the sycamores would be getting a transfer quarterback from the university of wyoming. he would be a redshirt sophomore and have three years in which to play beginning this fall. he started last season at wyoming and had a 2-2 record, leading the cowboys to wins over tennessee and san diego state.

there are also rumors of more transfers coming in later this spring or early this summer. so this is a renewed feeling on confidence going on at indiana state. how good the sycamores will be this fall is anybody's guess. as one former isu coach said, it took more than one year for the program to fall to the state that it was in when new coach trent miles took over last year. and it's going to take more than just one year to turn things around.

as for the crap that people like to toss this way, no, we don't have to take it. it's easy to sit back when you have a fully-funded program and capable people in your athletic departments who care about football and want to see it succeed.

but it's quite another thing to have shoddy leadership in the athletic department and university overall. that's been the case at indiana state prior to the arrival of the current athletic director and new university president. it was the gang that couldn't shoot straight, or the inmates were running the asalyum. it was pretty bad. but we are starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel now and it's about time.

ValleyChamp
May 4th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Indiana state will be back. It just takes leadership and time. Lots and lots of time.

Sycamore51
May 4th, 2009, 07:18 AM
This is a point that people always forget. Being only show in town means everything.
That's exactly what I was trying to say. I understand though that the only way to put people back in the seats is to win, and compete game in and game out. I've been to many games where we have 10,000 people at the stadium and only 5,000 or less in the stadium.

skinny_uncle
May 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM
We play that Thursday night. It was the only time we could get it in. I think the NCAA felt sorry for us and changed the rules to give us a shot at breaking the streak.
This could be the medicine you need. You really should have broken the streak against SEMO last year.

JayJ79
May 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I wish the Sycamores success in every game except one.

Sturgisjeff
May 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
There is money being discussed. Talk of a new stadium, but who knows. I do know however they are making some nice upgrades to the old stadium this summer. New turf and what not.

I hope they make some deals and get a nice Daktronics scoreboard to replace that 1940's model thay got up there right now.