Oct 10th, 2009 at Montana 12:05 pm

Oct 17th, 2009 *Southern Utah 6:05 pm

Oct 24th, 2009 Dixie State 6:05 pm

Oct 31st, 2009 *at North Dakota 2:00 pm

Nov 7th, 2009 *at UC Davis 1:00 pm

Nov 14th, 2009 *South Dakota 6:05 pm

Nov 21st, 2009 at Weber State 11:05 am

* Conference Game

Would have been a great schedule if Northwestern State had not bought out of the game at Cal Poly on Sept. 5th. As it is now, Cal Poly had to scramble to fill the spot with DII Dixie State on Oct. 24th. That means that Cal Poly will have no in season bye in 2009.

Native
April 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
...Would have been a great schedule if Northwestern State had not bought out of the game at Cal Poly on Sept. 5th. As it is now, Cal Poly had to scramble to fill the spot with DII Dixie State on Oct. 24th. That means that Cal Poly will have no in season bye in 2009.

My greater worry might be trying to squeeze eight wins out of an eleven-game season. xeyebrowx

What is your prediction, Slostang?

Lumberjacks76
April 22nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
That San Jose State game has upset written all over it. Cal Poly can easily defeat the Spartans.

Paul

Native
April 22nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
That San Jose State game has upset written all over it. Cal Poly can easily defeat the Spartans.

Paul

San Luis Obispo has a great football tradition, but for a rebuilding team, there are too many obstacles to overcome so early in the season.

Last year's Cal Poly team might have upset the Spartans, but with all the critical Mustang losses - especially on offense - I wouldn't be counting this year's chickens yet. The new Cal Poly coach will still be trying to get the offense to click in September.

It will be a home game for San Jose, too.

slostang
April 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM
My greater worry might be trying to squeeze eight wins out of an eleven-game season. xeyebrowx

What is your prediction, Slostang?

If you factor in the non-counter game against DII Dixie State it means that Cal Poly will have to squeeze eight wins out of 10 DI games.

I think that Cal Poly will win 6 to 9 games in 2009.

mvemjsunpx
April 22nd, 2009, 06:30 PM

Paul

Last year's Cal Poly team, probably, but this year's team will have a much tougher time. Remember that Dally, Barden, Noble, & Mole are all gone, plus the coaching change should require an adjustment period. CP's secondary was horrible last year and they will have to improve dramatically if the Mustangs want hope of making the playoffs or pulling an FBS upset.

Native
April 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
Andrew Gardner has another year of eligibility but has apparently decided to graduate and move on.

Who will replace him as placekicker? xeyebrowx

(You just KNEW I was going to ask!) xpeacex

slostang
April 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Cal Poly signed an All-State JC Kicker/Punter.

Chris Pinto, P/K, 6-0, 165, Salinas, CA (Salinas HS/Monterey Peninsula College)
Pinto, who signed a scholarship offer during the community college signing period in December, earned first-team All-California Community College Region II honors as a sophomore punter and placekicker under head coach Mike Rasmussen at Monterey Peninsula College last fall. Pinto was 28-for-29 on extra-point kicks, made 14 of 18 field goals and averaged 40.6 yards per punt as the Lobos posted a perfect 10-0 record in the regular season before falling to Shasta 33-31 in the Bulldog Bowl at College of San Mateo. A total of 16 of Pinto’s 46 punts were downed inside the 20-yard line.

slostang
April 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Last year's Cal Poly team, probably, but this year's team will have a much tougher time. Remember that Dally, Barden, Noble, & Mole are all gone, plus the coaching change should require an adjustment period. CP's secondary was horrible last year and they will have to improve dramatically if the Mustangs want hope of making the playoffs or pulling an FBS upset.

Cal Poly's record the last five years:

2004: 9-2
2005: 9-4
2006: 7-4
2007: 7-4
2008: 8-3

I think we will be fine.

mvemjsunpx
April 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Cal Poly's record the last five years:

2004: 9-2
2005: 9-4
2006: 7-4
2007: 7-4
2008: 8-3

I think we will be fine.

Looking at that schedule, I'm thinking 6-5 is the most likely outcome.

Wins - Sac, S. Dakota St., S. Utah, Dixie, N. Dakota, S. Dakota
Losses - Ohio, SJSU, Montana, Davis, Weber

slostang
April 22nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
Looking at that schedule, I'm thinking 6-5 is the most likely outcome.

Wins - Sac, S. Dakota St., S. Utah, Dixie, N. Dakota, S. Dakota
Losses - Ohio, SJSU, Montana, Davis, Weber

mvemjsunpx, are you a fan of Weber State?

I think that Weber State returns a lot of fire power on offense, but they have some holes on the O-line. On defense they only return 4 starters off a defense that gave up 548 yards to Cal Poly. I also believe they had some turnover on the coaching staff. What is your take on their record in 2009?

Native
April 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
...Weber State returns a lot of fire power on offense, but they have some holes on the O-line. On defense they only return 4 starters off a defense that gave up 548 yards to Cal Poly. I also believe they had some turnover on the coaching staff. ...

Your points are well taken, Slostang. Our coaching staff and linebacker corps were decimated.

However, the returning "4 starters" on the defense that gave up so much to what was probably the #1 offense last year xbowx is a deceptive number. It is hard to tell from the rotation and game stats who was really the "starter" and who was the sub.

Three of the four returning defensive "starters" were first team all-conference (DE Kevin Linehan, S Beau Hadley, CB Josh Morris), and made the TSN All-American list. The fourth, though injured late in the season (DT Ryan Eastman), made honorable mention all-conference.

Six additional returning defensive "substitutes" played in 11 or more games last season. For example, defensive linemen Joe Larson and Brighton Barkdull combined for 34 tackles, 3 tackles for a loss, 2 sacks, 2 QB hurries, and 2 pass breakups. We do have holes, but a couple of key transfers at linebacker and corner will help immensely, so the 2009 Weber defense might not be as weak as one might suppose.

BUT you are correct in that the defense will be suspect until proven otherwise.

On offense, the Wildcats return the #1 passer (yards), #1 receiver (yards), and #1 scorer in the FCS, plus a host of outstanding players at all positions including the starting center, right guard, tight end and leading kick-scorer in the Big Sky with the best red zone FG conversion rate in the BSC. Besides, Mac always recruits well, especially the linemen. He has sent several O-Linemen to the league and always has plenty of big hogs ready to step up. I think the offense will be outstanding from the git-go.

I have a great deal of respect for the Cal Poly program and admiration for the sustained excellence over the past several years. However, it appears to me that the Mustang losses on offense are more devastating in the near term than are the Weber losses on defense.

By the time our game rolls around in Ogden on 21 November, both coaching staffs will have had plenty of time to prepare the new Mustang offense and the new Wildcat defense.

Good luck on the new season!

mvemjsunpx
April 23rd, 2009, 04:52 AM
mvemjsunpx, are you a fan of Weber State?

No, Montana.

I think that Weber State returns a lot of fire power on offense, but they have some holes on the O-line. On defense they only return 4 starters off a defense that gave up 548 yards to Cal Poly. I also believe they had some turnover on the coaching staff. What is your take on their record in 2009?

Well, Weber was slightly better than Cal Poly last year and they lose fewer key players than Cal Poly this year. The defense will likely drop, but the offense may be as good as Cal Poly's was in 2008 (though more aerially geared, of course). Weber's also at home in the head-to-head contest, too.

My cursory, preliminary pick for Weber's record is 8-3. They may need to win one of the FBS games to get an at-large, but they're both winnable.

Wins - @ Wyoming, Idaho St., @ PSU, Montana St., Sac, @ UNC, NAU, Cal Poly
Losses - @ Colorado St., @ EWU, @ Montana

slostang
April 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Your points are well taken, Slostang. Our coaching staff and linebacker corps were decimated.

However, the returning "4 starters" on the defense that gave up so much to what was probably the #1 offense last year xbowx is a deceptive number. It is hard to tell from the rotation and game stats who was really the "starter" and who was the sub.

Three of the four returning defensive "starters" were first team all-conference (DE Kevin Linehan, S Beau Hadley, CB Josh Morris), and made the TSN All-American list. The fourth, though injured late in the season (DT Ryan Eastman), made honorable mention all-conference.

Six additional returning defensive "substitutes" played in 11 or more games last season. For example, defensive linemen Joe Larson and Brighton Barkdull combined for 34 tackles, 3 tackles for a loss, 2 sacks, 2 QB hurries, and 2 pass breakups. We do have holes, but a couple of key transfers at linebacker and corner will help immensely, so the 2009 Weber defense might not be as weak as one might suppose.

BUT you are correct in that the defense will be suspect until proven otherwise.

On offense, the Wildcats return the #1 passer (yards), #1 receiver (yards), and #1 scorer in the FCS, plus a host of outstanding players at all positions including the starting center, right guard, tight end and leading kick-scorer in the Big Sky with the best red zone FG conversion rate in the BSC. Besides, Mac always recruits well, especially the linemen. He has sent several O-Linemen to the league and always has plenty of big hogs ready to step up. I think the offense will be outstanding from the git-go.

I have a great deal of respect for the Cal Poly program and admiration for the sustained excellence over the past several years. However, it appears to me that the Mustang losses on offense are more devastating in the near term than are the Weber losses on defense.

By the time our game rolls around in Ogden on 21 November, both coaching staffs will have had plenty of time to prepare the new Mustang offense and the new Wildcat defense.

Good luck on the new season!

I also have a great deal of respect for Weber State and Ron McBride. I think that Weber will be one of the top FCS programs in 2009. I was just giving mvemjsunpx's something to think about (I thought he was a WSU fan) seeing that he is such an expert on Cal Poly. xsmiley_wix

As far as Cal Poly is concerned, there biggest loss is not Ramses Barden, James Noble or Ryan Mole. It is Jonathan Dally. The others will be missed, especially Barden, but Dally was the one that made that offense go. Was anyone talking about Cal Poly's offense before Dally arrived? Barden and Noble were two year starters when he arrived, but Cal Poly only averaged about 26 points and 380 yards of offense before Dally. They averaged about 480 yards and 38 points the last two years with him at QB. Cal Poly is loaded at RB and they have a couple of very good WRs (none as good as Barden) and they return four starters on the O-line. Cal Poly has plenty of talent on offense and will go as far as their QB will take them. If he struggles they will be hard pressed to win 6 games. If he does well they could win 9 or more. I am looking forward to finding out.

Wildcat80
April 23rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Good luck vs Ohio of the MAC!!

RabidRabbit
April 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Jacks and 'Stangs should be another super game. Last year's game in Brookings was the worst of the Jacks '08 season. It will be interesting to see this game in SLO this year.

slostang
April 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Jacks and 'Stangs should be another super game. Last year's game in Brookings was the worst of the Jacks '08 season. It will be interesting to see this game in SLO this year.

RR, are we going to see you in SLO this year? I am buying!!!

appfan2008
April 24th, 2009, 08:52 AM
7-4 is my prediction 3 very tough road games near the beginning of the year could get the season off on a bad start

malibudude
April 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Poly will not lose to Davis and has a good shot at Ohio and SJSU. Montana and Weber will be tough. SUU and SDSU are also going to be very competive.

Proud Griz Man
April 24th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Nice discussion b/t Weber and Stang fans. I like it.:)

RabidRabbit
April 25th, 2009, 11:30 AM
RR, are we going to see you in SLO this year? I am buying!!!

If there's a disaster in CA that I can work! xsmiley_wix

And I'm not talking a 07 SUU type disaster either xlolxxlolx

89rabbit
April 25th, 2009, 11:27 PM
If there's a disaster in CA that I can work! xsmiley_wix

And I'm not talking a 07 SUU type disaster either xlolxxlolx

Come on Rabid, I'm making the trip it is going to be fun! xthumbsupx

slostang
April 26th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Come on Rabid, I'm making the trip it is going to be fun! xthumbsupx

Hey 89, we have to talk football over a couple of cold ones before the game. xnodx

coover
April 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Poly goes 9 - 2, winning one of the 2 FBS games, and losing only one of the Montana, Davis, or Weber State games. Montana will be very tough, and will be heavily favored to win in Missoula. The Davis and Weber State games will also take place away from SLO and will be very tough. Davis will probably be improved this year and that will be a very tough game, but Poly seems to win in Davis, no matter who the the favorite team is. Weber State, however, will be rebuilding, and after a very difficult Big Sky season, will be down.

Native
April 26th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Poly goes 9 - 2, winning one of the 2 FBS games, and losing only one of the Montana, Davis, or Weber State games. Montana will be very tough, and will be heavily favored to win in Missoula. The Davis and Weber State games will also take place away from SLO and will be very tough. Davis will probably be improved this year and that will be a very tough game, but Poly seems to win in Davis, no matter who the the favorite team is. Weber State, however, will be rebuilding, and after a very difficult Big Sky season, will be down.

Weber brings back 8 of 11 starters on offense, including #1 FCS passer, QB Higgins (4,460), #1 FCS WR Tim Toone (1,525 yards) and #1 FCS scorer Trevyn Smith (168 points). ...Plus a kicker who made his chip shots. (8 of 9 red zone FGs). xnodx

Cal Poly has a great football tradition. Lots of time between now and 21 November. I expect improvements in the Weber defense and the Cal Poly offense between now and then. Too early to be serious about predictions at this point. xcoffeex

slostang
April 26th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Weber brings back 8 of 11 starters on offense, including #1 FCS passer, QB Higgins (4,460), #1 FCS WR Tim Toone (1,525 yards) and #1 FCS scorer Trevyn Smith (168 points). ...Plus a kicker who made his chip shots. (8 of 9 red zone FGs). xnodx

Cal Poly has a great football tradition. Lots of time between now and 21 November. I expect of improvements in the Weber defense and the Cal Poly offense between now and then. Too early to be serious about predictions at this point. xcoffeex

I agree Native. Also playing in Ogden in late November will pose some challenges for our warm weather boys.

89rabbit
April 26th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hey 89, we have to talk football over a couple of cold ones before the game. xnodx

Sounds good to me! xthumbsupx