PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Big Sky Placekickers

Native
April 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM
The Big Sky has a great tradition of excellent placekickers! xnodx

Who will win the BSC kick-scoring crown in 2009?

TexasTerror
April 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
For those wanting some help, here's last year's totals...top two graduate. Should be interesting!

SCORING (KICK) Team Cl G PATs FGs Pts Pts/G
-------------------------------------------------------
1. Robbie Dehaze.. NAU SR 11 34-36 16-20 82 7.5
2. Danny Urrego... PSU SR 11 31-32 15-23 76 6.9
3. J. Cunningham.. MSU FR 12 38-39 13-19 77 6.4
4. Jon Williams... WSU SO 14 57-62 10-13 87 6.2
5. Juan Gamboa.... SAC SR 12 33-36 12-16 69 5.8
6. Felipe Macias.. EWU SR 11 39-39 8-12 63 5.7
7. York, Michael.. NC JR 11 20-20 13-17 59 5.4
8. Brody McKnight. UM FR 15 52-57 9-16 79 5.3
9. Jarrett Huk.... ISU JR 12 27-28 1-6 30 2.5
10.Mike Ferriter.. UM SR 16 1-2 1-1 4 0.2

NZNCRZY
April 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Mike Ferriter graduated last year

Native
April 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
The season will begin with three outstanding contenders.

First: Great things will be expected of Montana's State's true freshman sensation and 2nd team all-conference selection, Jason Cunningham. Cunningham scored 77 points for 4th place in the 2008 BSC kick-scoring derby. His third FG against Northern Arizona turned out to be the game winner. Cunningham did not handle KO duties for the Bobcats in 2008. He was 8 of 12 in red zone field goals.

Second: Weber State's Jon Williams. Williams, a junior for 2009, led the Big Sky with 87 kicking points and kicked more than a dozen touchbacks in 2008 despite being withheld from kickoff duty for nearly half the season due to a groin injury. Williams averaged 67 yards on kickoff. He was 8 of 9 in red zone field goals.

Third: Montana's Brody McKnight. Freshman McKnight finished third in the Big Sky in kicking points for 2008, despite not becoming a starter until the third game of the season. McKnight tallied 79 points in the 2008 campaign hitting on 52 PATs and 9 field goals. His average KO was 57.5 yards. McKnight was 7 of 12 in red zone field goals.

Who else will step up to the plate in 2009?

Native
April 19th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Mike Ferriter graduated last year

...as did Gamboa, Macias, Urrego, and DeHaze.

GOKATS
April 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'll go with Jason Cunningham. 5 for 6 yesterday in the Triangle Classic- longest was 47 yds., but he has better range. He's only a soph and will be well known before he's done. He's rock solid reliable and will only get better.xthumbsupx

And that's fact, not kool-aid.

cats2506
April 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I'll go with Jason Cunningham. 5 for 6 yesterday in the Triangle Classic- longest was 47 yds., but he has better range. He's only a soph and will be well known before he's done. He's rock solid reliable and will only get better.xthumbsupx

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Native
April 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM

The rest of the Montana State offense will have to step up for Jason to have a shot at the kick-scoring crown, but he's the REAL DEAL for sure! I have heard he is also stellar in the classroom?

Native
April 20th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Don't forget to vote in the poll xsmiley_wix

CatFan22
April 20th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Cunningham. :)

hawkssb04
April 20th, 2009, 02:29 AM
The Big Sky has a great tradition of excellent placekickers! xnodx

Who will win the BSC kick-scoring crown in 2009?

Williams is probably the best kicker WSU has seen in a while, but the offense's scoring efficiency doesn't give him many chances to pile up points via field goals. His 14 attempts last year were the second lowest in the Big Sky and everytime he walks on the field to boot a chip shot, nightmares of Connor Foley probably come rushing back to Coach McBride. However, WSU does give Williams a chance for that scoring title if they can continue to pump in the touchdowns next season. Last year's 69 touchdown season kept Williams afloat in the race despite his lackluster field-goal totals.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2858751440_f7658f832c.jpg?v=0

Native
April 20th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Williams is probably the best kicker WSU has seen in a while, but the offense's scoring efficiency doesn't give him many chances to pile up points via field goals. His 14 attempts last year were the second lowest in the Big Sky and every time he walks on the field to boot a chip shot, nightmares of Connor Foley probably come rushing back to Coach McBride. However, WSU does give Williams a chance for that scoring title if they can continue to pump in the touchdowns next season. Last year's 69 touchdown season kept Williams afloat in the race despite his lackluster field-goal totals.

Nice pic, Hawks!

Your analysis is pretty much on target, although I think Mac is largely recovered from "Connor-phobia," especially after Williams failed to "melt down" upon getting benched with an injury at Sac State and went on to make 10/10 kicks in the playoffs.

Where "Jonny Money" and the Weber Special Teams (KICKING IS A TEAM SPORT!) really outperformed the competition in the Big Sky for 2008 was in red zone conversion percentage. Williams led the Big Sky with 89%. The closest competitors were Robbie Dehaze (NAU) and Michael York (UNC) at 80% each. All the other teams in the Big Sky were below 80% in Red Zone FG conversions last year. Cunningham and McKnight were both below 70%.

I think red zone conversions are probably a head coach's #1 consideration for kickers. 89% should be enough to please Mac and keep Williams in the game as long as he can keep his bantam rooster personality in check. He'll get the chances again in 2009, whether in PATs or increased FG attempts.

AppAlum2003
April 20th, 2009, 06:38 AM
A poll about the best kicker? I've seen it all now.

Native
April 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM
A poll about the best kicker? I've seen it all now.

It's a third of the game! xsmiley_wix

bpcats
April 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
The only thing that will hold Cunningham back from being the top kicker is the lack of opportunities b/c the offense can't move the ball. He is pretty accurate from 55 yds and in.

Native
April 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
The only thing that will hold Cunningham back from being the top kicker is the lack of opportunities b/c the offense can't move the ball. He is pretty accurate from 55 yds and in.

Cunningham hit on 13 of 19 field goals in 2008. ...Pretty good for a true freshman, but exactly in the middle of the pack for the Big Sky, and below average in the FCS, where he ranked 96th in FG conversion rate.

Jason deserves credit for attempting some long shots and hitting a 52-yarder, but he also missed 4 of 11 red zone attempts. I think he has unlimited potential and is better than his red zone FG conversion stats suggest, as indicated by his PAT conversion rate of 97.4%. However, to be considered a "top kicker," he must dramatically improve his red zone field goal conversion rate.

The only "elite" kicker in the Big Sky last year was Robbie Dehaze, who hit 80% of his field goal attempts, including 12/15 in the red zone, also for 80%. Williams was next with 76.9%, followed closely by Michael York at 76.5%. Cunningham as at 68.4% overall, and Brody McKnight hit 9 of 16 for 56.3%, 125th in the FCS.

cats2506
April 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Cunningham hit on 13 of 19 field goals in 2008. ...Pretty good for a true freshman, but exactly in the middle of the pack for the Big Sky, and below average in the FCS, where he ranked 96th in FG conversion rate.

Jason deserves credit for attempting some long shots and hitting a 52-yarder, but he also missed 4 of 11 red zone attempts. I think he has unlimited potential and is better than his red zone FG conversion stats suggest, as indicated by his PAT conversion rate of 97.4%. However, to be considered a "top kicker," he must dramatically improve his red zone field goal conversion rate.

The only "elite" kicker in the Big Sky last year was Robbie Dehaze, who hit 80% of his field goal attempts, including 12/15 in the red zone, also for 80%. Williams was next with 76.9%, followed closely by Michael York at 76.5%. Cunningham as at 68.4% overall, and Brody McKnight hit 9 of 16 for 56.3%, 125th in the FCS.

Just reciting the stats doesnt do it justice, we had some protection problems with the FG unit early on, most of that was fixed by mid season. "Sunshine" had a exceptional year as a true freshman and will be one of the top kickers in the BSC for the next 3 years,

Native
April 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Just reciting the stats doesnt do it justice, we had some protection problems with the FG unit early on, most of that was fixed by mid season. "Sunshine" had a exceptional year as a true freshman and will be one of the top kickers in the BSC for the next 3 years,

I agree Sunshine is an exceptional kicker, and I am not trying to pick on him. I follow kickers closely and I daresay that I have posted more complimentary posts about Jason Cunnigham than any Bobcat fan.

However, you can't escape the stats, and you can't blame protection problems. That's like some of the the Grizzzzz crying that it only rained on their side of the field in Ogden last year. They got over it.

Besides, I did not just "recite the stats." I looked at every single kick in every single MSU game. Your statement is factually incorrect. All four of Jason's red zone misses occurred in the last half of the 2008 season. He missed two in game #7 against EWU, one in game #9 against UNC, and one in the final game against Montana. In fact, he only missed two field goals in the first half of the season. xcoffeex

Montana State has an excellent program and an excellent kicker with the potential - potential - to become an elite kicker. Take the compliment!

No one becomes elite by making excuses. xpeacex

GOKATS
April 20th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I agree Sunshine is an exceptional kicker, and I am not trying to pick on him. I follow kickers closely and I daresay that I have posted more complimentary posts about Jason Cunnigham than any Bobcat fan.

However, you can't escape the stats, and you can't blame protection problems. That's like some of the the Grizzzzz crying that it only rained on their side of the field in Ogden last year. They got over it.

Besides, I did not just "recite the stats." I looked at every single kick in every single MSU game. Your statement is factually incorrect. All four of Jason's red zone misses occurred in the last half of the 2008 season. He missed two in game #7 against EWU, one in game #9 against UNC, and one in the final game against Montana. In fact, he only missed two field goals in the first half of the season. xcoffeex

Montana State has an excellent program and an excellent kicker with the potential - potential - to become an elite kicker. Take the compliment!

No one becomes elite by making excuses. xpeacex

You're being fair, but you can't blame the kicker for bad/mishandled snaps or (in most cases) blocked kicks. I think that's what he was referring to as 'protection problems'.

th0m
April 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM
You can tell it's the offseason when people start making polls about kickers xlolx

Native
April 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
You're being fair, but you can't blame the kicker for bad/mishandled snaps or (in most cases) blocked kicks. I think that's what he was referring to as 'protection problems'.

Agreed. Although the kicker does have a part to play in blocked kicks, the kicker cannot be blamed for everything.

On blocked kicks, the kicker owns two of the five components for success in avoiding the blocked kick: speed to the ball and kick height. The protection provided by blocking is only one of the five components. The remaining two would be the snap and the hold.

Kicking is a team sport, and it's amazing how the smallest error on the hold can affect the kick. But MSU is not the only team to suffer snapping, holding and protection problems. All teams have the same problems!

The NCAA stats manual does normally assign blocked kicks to the kicker, not the team. Basically, if the foot strikes the ball, the kick counts against the kicker in the record book.

The MSU statistician recorded one of Jason's six missed field goals to have been blocked in 2008. Williams and McKnight each had a blocked field goal in 2008 as well.

Native
April 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
You can tell it's the offseason when people start making polls about kickers xlolx

Kicking is a third of the game. xnodx

Ignore the finer points at your peril! xsmiley_wix

xpeacex

Native
April 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM
It's nice to see some votes for Northern Colorado's Michael York in the poll.

York is not likely to win the "kick-scoring derby" playing for the Bears' offense, but he has made the most of his limited scoring opportunities, connecting on 13 of 17 field goals for 76.5%. Michael finishing the 2008 season as the third-most accurate field goal kicker in the Big Sky, behind only Robbie DeHaze (80%) and Jon Williams (76.9%).

York was also deadly in the red zone, hitting 12 of 15 field goals to tie with Dehaze for second in the conference at 80%, behind only Williams, who led the conference at 88.9%

York was also flawless in PATs, hitting 20 of 20 to lead the Big Sky with 100%. He was the only kicker to make every single PAT. Admittedly 20 was a small sample size, but flawless is flawless!

Native
April 21st, 2009, 09:58 PM
We missed a potential returning Big Sky placekicker who actually outperformed ALL the competition in key performance categories.

Mike Ramos didn't play a game for Idaho State until the middle of the season but boy, he sure made up for lost time! xnodx

In only six games, Ramos hit 9 of 11 field goal attempts (depending on the source) including ALL SEVEN of his rd zone attempts for a perfect 100% performance. xrotatehx

Ramos closed the season by kicking three field goals in Idaho State’s 36-33 overtime win over Sacramento State, including a 42-yarder only seconds before the buzzer to send the game into overtime and give the Bengals their chance for victory. xthumbsupx

For his performance, Mike was recognized as the Big Sky Special Teams Co-player of the Week for the final week of the 2008 season. xnodx

Although only a junior this year, Ramos is not listed on the 2009 ISU roster, and has apparently transferred. ...but let's keep an eye out, just in case!

th0m
April 22nd, 2009, 01:19 AM
Kicking is a third of the game. xnodx

Ignore the finer points at your peril! xsmiley_wix

xpeacex

Hey I'm not saying it's not an important aspect of the game, just that it generally doesn't receive a third of the attention :) So for that I'm sure all kickers will salute this topic xsmiley_wix

Native
April 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
As expected, Jason Cunningham picked up where he left off last season, hitting five of six attempts in the final scrimmage of Spring Football. xthumbsupx

http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=14009

CrazyCat
April 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
As expected, Jason Cunningham picked up where he left off last season, hitting five of six attempts in the final scrimmage of Spring Football. xthumbsupx

http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=fb&nid=14009

He is only to be called "Sunshine." :D

http://www.msubobcats.com/upload/FBCunningham_Jason_Wmug08.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8jqStoUnvLc/SZB_t6J1u7I/AAAAAAAAAM8/jeYgekZszE4/s320/kip.jpg

Native
April 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8jqStoUnvLc/SZB_t6J1u7I/AAAAAAAAAM8/jeYgekZszE4/s320/kip.jpg

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

Native
April 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Looks like Sacramento State found a placekicking replacement for the prolific Juan Gamboa in Auggie Heath (6-0, 185), a kicker/punter transfer from Butte College.

Auggie connected on 33 extra points and 8 of 11 field goals for a very respectable 72.7% FG conversion rate in 2008. xthumbsupx

Heath will be a junior for the Hornets in 2009.

Native
April 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
With Felipe Macias graduated, 2009 high school recruit Kevin Miller looks to be the Eagle replacement at placekicker.

from the EWU website:

http://goeags.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020409aaa.html

"...Earned second team Class 6A All-State honors as a kicker as selected by high school coaches in the state of Oregon. He also earned first team All-Mt. Hood League honors as both a senior and junior. His high school team was 3-8 his senior season after going 8-3 in 2007. As a senior he made 7-of-12 field goals with a long of 45, and 27-of-33 point after touchdown attempts. He also averaged 38.3 yards per punt and 33 of his 54 kickoffs were touchbacks. As a junior, he made 8-of-14 field goals with a school-record 50-yarder, and made 34-of-53 extra points. Also, 35 of his 72 kickoffs were touchbacks. As a sophomore, he had seven touchbacks and made 2-of-3 field goals and 25-of-27 extra points. Miller stood out at the Kohl's Kicking and Punting Camp in Bothell, Wash., in July 2008. He won the placekicking competition with a 65-yard field goal, was No. 1 in kickoffs (63.67 yards) and received a 4.5-star rating on a 5-star scale. ..."

Big Al
April 23rd, 2009, 01:49 PM

I voted for the MSU kicker because a)he's pretty good and b)I believe he's going to get more field goal tries than WSU. I'd rather not have WSU's kicker win the points race. xthumbsupx

Native
April 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
I voted for the MSU kicker because a)he's pretty good and b)I believe he's going to get more field goal tries than WSU. I'd rather not have WSU's kicker win the points race. xthumbsupx

National Championship all the way, Big Al! xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

Native
April 24th, 2009, 12:21 AM
The starting Vike placekicking job is up for grabs in 2009.

Graduating senior Dannu Urrego set a PSU record with 15 gield goals in 2008, and averaged over 40 yards per punt.

The candidates include SO Robert Truax, JR Jake Webber, RS FR Zach Brown and SO TR Wade Penner.

In the shadow of Urrego, Webber averaged 61.5 yards and made 3 touchbacks on 10 kickoffs, and Truax averaged 61.4 yards on 8 kickoffs.

No word yet on their field goal performance in spring camp.

Native
April 24th, 2009, 12:40 AM
All-Conference and All-American placekicker and punter Robbie Dehaze is listed 10th on the kicker depth chart for the 2009 NFL Draft, and is getting some interest to play for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Meanwhile, his replacement as a starter for the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks is a mystery. Two kickers show up on the NAU roster.Nathaniel Murray redshirted in 2006 and saw no action in 2007 or 2008. Matt Myers is a transfer from Washington State who gaduated from high school in 2007, with no college track record but a pretty good high school career.

Since Dehaze took every recorded kick for the Jacks and most of the punts, we have little evidence of the potential performance of his possible replacements.

No kicking updates yet on the NAU web site.

Native
April 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Why doesn't coach Ash utilize "Sunshine" for kickoff duties?

If he has the range to make 55-yard field goals, he must also be able to push a kickoff to 65 yards, and since he is able to make his long distance field goals without getting blocked too often, he must also have good hang time.

Moreover, with his field goal accuracy, Cunningham could probably avoid the 4 costly "out of bounds" kickoffs Fischer made in 2008.

Is it because of loyalty to the upperclassman?