PDA

View Full Version : Weber State Returnees according to the SID

Native
April 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
The "official" spring football status report, from the Weber State web site:

"...McBride and his staff return 36 lettermen including 18 on offense, 16 on defense and two kicker/punters. Of those lettermen, the Wildcats have 12 returning starters with six on offense, four on defense and two kicker/punters..."

http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39328&SPID=3468&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=8600&ATCLID=3720912

Ronbo
April 16th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Montana: 2008 LETTERMAN RETURNING (55: 29 defense/24 offense/2 kickers):

ncbears
April 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Montana: 2008 LETTERMAN RETURNING (55: 29 defense/24 offense/2 kickers):

Who cares? Couldn't you write something about Weber? The thread was about Weber, not Montana you nut.

Btw, I think the wildcats are primed for another nice season. Good qb returning and a decent defense. It should be a fun Big Sky season.

GOKATS
April 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Who cares? Couldn't you write something about Weber? The thread was about Weber, not Montana you nut.

Btw, I think the wildcats are primed for another nice season. Good qb returning and a decent defense. It should be a fun Big Sky season.

Ronblow has a brain the size of a pea, but it isn't always fully engaged. It's usually best to just ignore him.xnodx

I think WSU will be tough again this year, but I can see some real parity coming to the BSC and expect a real battle for the conference title.

FCS Now
April 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Weber will definitely be tough this year, especially with all the offensive weapons they have coming back. Losing an offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, offensive line coach, and defensive line coach is never a good thing though.

Ronbo
April 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Weber State will be killed by us this year. 4 on Defense back? Bahahaha! UNC will be lucky to stay within 40, the Cats will bow down and kiss our feet as usual. Griz go undefeated in Conference. Weber State will be a pretender and can't win in Missoula. Can't remember the last time they did. If you don't like being dominated and smacked pull up your skirts and panties and go home.

Better?

laxVik
April 17th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Montana's like a 40 year old that lives at home still and enjoys beating up the neighborhood kids. Move out already. Boise State did!

CrunchGriz
April 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Montana's like a 40 year old that lives at home still and enjoys beating up the neighborhood kids. Move out already. Boise State did!

So did Idaho.

Montanan
April 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM

that said, I guess you folks will be heading back to DII, or possibly DIII. xlolxxnodxxlolx just kidding! but on a serious note, if you folks would raise your quality of play ya just might not be so dab-nagged upset and depressed all the time.xlolxxnodxxlolx just kidding, again!

laxVik
April 17th, 2009, 06:35 PM
that said, I guess you folks will be heading back to DII, or possibly DIII. xlolxxnodxxlolxHa! D2 was good to PSU. And considering our BB team has only been playing again for 12 or so years D1 has been good thus far as well.

But...seriously though. Move out/up for Pete's sake. How can your state have zero FBS teams?

Montanan
April 17th, 2009, 06:47 PM
...How can your state have zero FBS teams?

we don't have a sales tax either! oooooh, the shame of it..................................xlolxxnodxxlol x

Lumberjacks76
April 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Montana needs a larger population to have an FBS-level college in my opinion. They need more streams of revenue, too.

Paul

CrunchGriz
April 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Ha! D2 was good to PSU. And considering our BB team has only been playing again for 12 or so years D1 has been good thus far as well.

But...seriously though. Move out/up for Pete's sake. How can your state have zero FBS teams?

Neither does Alaska, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, South Dakota, North Dakota, or Delaware.

It's a little thing called population. Montana doesn't have much of it. You could look it up.

Really.

And don't bring up Wyoming, with an even smaller population. The University of Wyoming is the only college in the state's university system, unlike Montana, which has UM, MSU, Northern, Western, Rocky Mountain, and Montana Tech, not to mention Carroll College outside the state system, to syphon off resources and student population.

laxVik
April 17th, 2009, 07:15 PM
It's a little thing called population. Montana doesn't have much of it. You could look it up.

Really.Ouch, angry griz. It's ok. It's ok...

CrunchGriz
April 17th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Ouch, angry griz. It's ok. It's ok...

Sorry, I shouldn't have been so sarcastic. I've been doing battle on another thread over on eGriz about this very issue, Montana's lack of population base to sustain an FBS team, at least as far as comparing the Missoula area's population to FBS college locations' populations.

The long and short of it is that they don't call Montana "Big Sky Country" for nothing. There ain't a lot of skyscrapers blocking the view from one border of its 630 mile width to the other.

My bad.

ncbears
April 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Weber State will be killed by us this year. 4 on Defense back? Bahahaha! UNC will be lucky to stay within 40, the Cats will bow down and kiss our feet as usual. Griz go undefeated in Conference. Weber State will be a pretender and can't win in Missoula. Can't remember the last time they did. If you don't like being dominated and smacked pull up your skirts and panties and go home.

Better?

You didn't even attend Montana. Why do you care?

Native
April 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM
that said, I guess you folks will be heading back to DII, or possibly DIII. xlolxxnodxxlolx just kidding! but on a serious note, if you folks would raise your quality of play ya just might not be so dab-nagged upset and depressed all the time.xlolxxnodxxlolx just kidding, again!

Not depressed. Still pleased with Weber's quality of play last year and thinking about that 45 - 28 Wildcat victory in Ogden. xcoffeex

(The one where it only rained on the Grizz side of the field, blah blah...) xrolleyesx

Montana will of course be excellent again in 2009, as will Weber, but I think the overall level of play will improve next year in the Big Sky, and that it will be a little more crowded at the top. xnodx

Weber is not the only BSC team that can knock off the Grizz in 2009. xeekx

Native
April 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Montana needs a larger population to have an FBS-level college in my opinion. They need more streams of revenue, too.

Paul

Curious. The stats that seem to count for FBS football are attendance and revenues, and Montana performs very well in both categories.

Native
April 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Better?

The "4 on defense" is a deceptive number. It is hard to tell from the rotation and game stats who was the "starter" and who was the sub. xconfusedx

Three of the four returning defensive "starters" were first team all-conference (DE Kevin Linehan, S Beau Hadley, CB Josh Morris) , and the fourth, though injured late in the season (DT Ryan Eastman), made honorable mention. :D

Six additional returning defensive "substitutes" played in 11 or more games last season. Defensive linemen Joe Larson and Brighton Barkdull combined for 34 tackles, 3 tackles for a loss, 2 sacks, 2 QB hurries, and 2 pass breakups. xnodx

A couple of key transfers at linebacker and safety will help immensely. :)

So the 2009 Weber defense will not be as weak as one might suppose. xrotatehx

On offense, the Wildcats return the #1 passer, #1 receiver, #1 rusher and #1 kicker in the Big Sky, plus a host of outstanding players at all positions. :D

Native
April 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Better?

The smack is another board, Ronbo. xrulesx

Native
April 19th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Spring transfer Jordan Brown, CB from Snow College, had a great spring practice!

He finished the last scrimmage with an interception returned for a TD! xnodx

ncbears
April 19th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Not depressed. Still pleased with Weber's quality of play last year and thinking about that 45 - 28 Wildcat victory in Ogden. xcoffeex

(The one where it only rained on the Grizz side of the field, blah blah...) xrolleyesx

Montana will of course be excellent again in 2009, as will Weber, but I think the overall level of play will improve next year in the Big Sky, and that it will be a little more crowded at the top. xnodx

Weber is not the only BSC team that can knock off the Grizz in 2009. xeekx

I'm thinking they might get knocked off by a lower tier team, like UNC, Sac St, maybe even ISU!

hawkssb04
April 20th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Spring transfer Jordan Brown, CB from Snow College, had a great spring practice!

He finished the last scrimmage with an interception returned for a TD! xnodx

Yeah Brown looked good, but the defense still looked very raw overall. I think WSU's main concern lies with the offensive line. Trevyn Smith is in my opinion the best running back in the FCS, but we will see how he performs with the likes of All-American fullback Marcus Mailei, and All-American left tackle Paul Carpenter gone. Losing First-Team All-Big Sky guard Lawaia Naihe will also hurt, along with starting right tackle Zac Carlson who was kicked off the team for drug use shortly after the loss at Montana in the FCS playoffs (although local papers claim he voluntarily left to enter the CFL Draft, but I know better xrulesx). Injuries to several other offensive linemen such as starter J.C. Oram, Kyle Mutcher, and Travis Harris have also left the o-line depleted this spring.
If the offensive line gets healthy, WSU should be one of the top offenses in the country with the likes of All-Americans Cameron Higgins, Trevyn Smith, and Tim Toone back. Look for young running back Bo Bolen to make a splash as well, for he is climbing the depth charts fast.

Native
April 20th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Yeah Brown looked good, but the defense still looked very raw overall. I think WSU's main concern lies with the offensive line. Trevyn Smith is in my opinion the best running back in the FCS, but we will see how he performs with the likes of All-American fullback Marcus Mailei, and All-American left tackle Paul Carpenter gone. Losing First-Team All-Big Sky guard Lawaia Naihe will also hurt, along with starting right tackle Zac Carlson... Injuries to several other offensive linemen such as starter J.C. Oram, Kyle Mutcher, and Travis Harris have also left the o-line depleted this spring.
If the offensive line gets healthy, WSU should be one of the top offenses in the country with the likes of All-Americans Cameron Higgins, Trevyn Smith, and Tim Toone back. Look for young running back Bo Bolen to make a splash as well, for he is climbing the depth charts fast.

Pretty scary for the offense to look better than the defense in spring ball. Usually it takes the offense longer to mature.

In this case, however, with so much talent returning on the offensive side of the line of scrimmage, I don't feel too bad - yet!

I Bleed Purple
April 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah Brown looked good, but the defense still looked very raw overall. I think WSU's main concern lies with the offensive line. Trevyn Smith is in my opinion the best running back in the FCS, but we will see how he performs with the likes of All-American fullback Marcus Mailei, and All-American left tackle Paul Carpenter gone. Losing First-Team All-Big Sky guard Lawaia Naihe will also hurt, along with starting right tackle Zac Carlson who was kicked off the team for drug use shortly after the loss at Montana in the FCS playoffs (although local papers claim he voluntarily left to enter the CFL Draft, but I know better xrulesx). Injuries to several other offensive linemen such as starter J.C. Oram, Kyle Mutcher, and Travis Harris have also left the o-line depleted this spring.

He showed up to play basketball once at the place I play basketball on Wednesdays a week and a half after the playoff loss to Montana. Ran into him on a screen. Never ran into a screen before without moving the guy at least a little bit. He didn't move an inch. I wonder if he even noticed I ran into him.