PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Change At VMI

DFW HOYA
November 28th, 2005, 08:10 PM
http://www.vmikeydets.com/article.asp?articleid=74572

walliver
November 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Elon's coach is gone also http://www.elon.edu/athletics/news.asp?id=3842&sport=fb

I guess coaching bad football teams doesn't pay.

Mr. C
November 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM
McCombs and Hamilton were two of the nicest guys you'd ever meet in coaching and I consider both to be friends. It makes me sad that these two will not be serving as positive role models at their respective schools. Both are very good men. Ironically, both came to VMI and East Tennessee State after being coordinators for Fisher DeBerry at Air Force. Neither VMI, or Elon has put enough into their respective programs to be winners. Cal, in particular, had done something that no other coach had done at VMI in our generation. He won six games two years ago. He had a lot of bad luck and a lot of injuries during his tenure a VMI. The Keydets were about as competitive as they have ever been under Cal and I doubt that a new coach is going to be able to do much more with this program. In my 13 years around this program, it had been a revolving door of head coaches before Cal took over and gave it stability. Trust me, in two or three years, the Keydets will be just as bad off, or worse, than they are now. This one hurts.

Brian286
November 29th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Don't know if your comments about McCombs are wholly correct. I'll agree that he is a nice guy but that and 25 cents will get you a coffee refill at McDonalds.

While it's true he gave us two 6-6 season a few years back that was against a very watered down schedule in a very watered down conference. The program has taken several steps backward in the past two years.

One big issue is the leaving of our OC Durden to JMU. Durden was very successful at VMI offensively and rumor has it that we lost him to JMU over a small amount of money...While we can't control Durden leaving McCombs went on to hire his son Will as offensive coordinator. His son had no experience whatsoever in this role and it showed throughout his tenure. Nepotism at its best.

McCombs had the best crop of seniors at his helm this year and wasted talent. The offense was not set up to utilize these talents and his son seemed to think we could run power up the gut football against teams who outweighed and outclassed our offensive lineman two fold.

The GW game was a perfect example of how unprepared this staff was...2 minutes to go in the game and we're driving down the field. We're still playing like we had 3 quarters to go...no hurry up offense...no sense of urgency in getting the plays in on time...nothing....

In addition, Cal had no fire in him to get his team up for games. During the game he looked like he was thinking about what ice cream flavor he wanted after the game by his demeanor and blank stares...

Maybe he's just a good coordinator and a nice guy but he isn't head coach material.

keydet71
November 30th, 2005, 08:06 PM
McCombs and Hamilton were two of the nicest guys you'd ever meet in coaching and I consider both to be friends. It makes me sad that these two will not be serving as positive role models at their respective schools. Both are very good men. Ironically, both came to VMI and East Tennessee State after being coordinators for Fisher DeBerry at Air Force. Neither VMI, or Elon has put enough into their respective programs to be winners. Cal, in particular, had done something that no other coach had done at VMI in our generation. He won six games two years ago. He had a lot of bad luck and a lot of injuries during his tenure a VMI. The Keydets were about as competitive as they have ever been under Cal and I doubt that a new coach is going to be able to do much more with this program. In my 13 years around this program, it had been a revolving door of head coaches before Cal took over and gave it stability. Trust me, in two or three years, the Keydets will be just as bad off, or worse, than they are now. This one hurts.

Mr. C, you are "dead on" in your comments and observations. Changing Coaches at VMI does nothing but assuage certain high dollar donors. There are many issues to address but I doubt that will occur, and the next change in 4 or so years may well be Div III. Cal is a good man...I wish him all the best.

pete4256
November 30th, 2005, 10:30 PM
So, Mr. C, do you think Mike Sewak will be a candidate at either one of these schools. Mike could probably exceed expectations at both places.

Mr. C
November 30th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Mike Sewak will almost certainly get a head coaching job at a much higher profile school than either VMI, or Elon. Better hope he doesn't get the Elon job. That could prove embarrassing for Georgia Southern ...

Mr. C
November 30th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Don't know if your comments about McCombs are wholly correct. I'll agree that he is a nice guy but that and 25 cents will get you a coffee refill at McDonalds.

While it's true he gave us two 6-6 season a few years back that was against a very watered down schedule in a very watered down conference. The program has taken several steps backward in the past two years.

One big issue is the leaving of our OC Durden to JMU. Durden was very successful at VMI offensively and rumor has it that we lost him to JMU over a small amount of money...While we can't control Durden leaving McCombs went on to hire his son Will as offensive coordinator. His son had no experience whatsoever in this role and it showed throughout his tenure. Nepotism at its best.

McCombs had the best crop of seniors at his helm this year and wasted talent. The offense was not set up to utilize these talents and his son seemed to think we could run power up the gut football against teams who outweighed and outclassed our offensive lineman two fold.

The GW game was a perfect example of how unprepared this staff was...2 minutes to go in the game and we're driving down the field. We're still playing like we had 3 quarters to go...no hurry up offense...no sense of urgency in getting the plays in on time...nothing....

In addition, Cal had no fire in him to get his team up for games. During the game he looked like he was thinking about what ice cream flavor he wanted after the game by his demeanor and blank stares...

Maybe he's just a good coordinator and a nice guy but he isn't head coach material.
McCombs won six games in VMI's last year in the SoCon. I guess that was the watered-down schedule you were talking about. What other Keydet coaches have won more than four in our lifetimes?

Brian286
December 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM
Mr. C...most of those wins were against non SC teams.

pete4256
December 1st, 2005, 09:34 AM
Mike Sewak will almost certainly get a head coaching job at a much higher profile school than either VMI, or Elon. Better hope he doesn't get the Elon job. That could prove embarrassing for Georgia Southern ...

That's what I was thinking. I certainly don't want him at Elon.

The question is, what "higher profile" job would invest in the triple option? Rice, Ohio? Or maybe Sewak would get a coordinator's job at Navy or a similar school? Considering the number of Air Force prep schoolers who've transferred to GSU the last few years, he must have connections there.

gophoenix
December 5th, 2005, 03:37 PM
The question is, what "higher profile" job would invest in the triple option?

Also, not entirely sure Elon fans would tolerate the triple option. Seagraves kind of ruined us on that with the Wisbone and Wingbone.

SoCon48
December 5th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Also, not entirely sure Elon fans would tolerate the triple option. Seagraves kind of ruined us on that with the Wisbone and Wingbone.

The bone is one of the most potent offenses in the history of football..when it's clicking. Any defensive team which can get to the pitchman has it beaten. Requires specialized personnel, e.g fast strong linemen, quick QB, surehanded players.
When its rolling, there's no stopping. When it's not, it's downright embarrassing.

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2005, 06:02 AM
JIM REID......HAS TAKEN ON DUH VMI CHALLENGE!......FORMER UMASS....RICHMOND......HEAD COACH....&.......ASST. @ SYRACUSE...AN' RECENTLY............BUCKNELL.........AS PER TUBBY RAYMOND....ON RADIO SHOW WDEL AM...........LAST EVENIN'!..... :rotateh:....AWK!

Tribe4SF
December 6th, 2005, 06:51 AM
If it's Jim Reid at VMI, those who didn't like McCombs' nice guy style are in for a disappointment. Reid is the world's nicest guy.

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2005, 08:50 AM
TUBBY & JIM ARE BEST O' FRIENDS.......WHEN TUBBY WON GAME NUMBERAH 300 AGIN' 'OL JIM & HIS RICHMOND ARACHNIDS......COACH REID....RAN ACROSS DUH FIELD AN' HUGGED DUH TUBSTER LIKE HE WAS PAMELA ANDERSON!.........:nod:...........BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2005, 03:18 PM
WHIFF NO ANNOUNCEMENT FROM VMI....MAYBEAH DUH AVIAN...MISUNDERSTOOD TUBBY...........AN'....JIM JES' PUT HIS NAME IN FO' CONSIDERATION??......WILL HAVE TA WAIT 'N SEE!......:o:confused::o.......DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

MarkCCU
December 6th, 2005, 03:28 PM
2005 seems to be the year of coaching shake ups. VMI, Elon, GSU and isn't Liberty in a similiar situation?

Spider
December 8th, 2005, 03:49 PM
WHIFF NO ANNOUNCEMENT FROM VMI....MAYBEAH DUH AVIAN...MISUNDERSTOOD TUBBY...........AN'....JIM JES' PUT HIS NAME IN FO' CONSIDERATION??......WILL HAVE TA WAIT 'N SEE!......:o:confused::o.......DOODLE-DOO-DOO!
Richmond paper said he had filed an application for the job....VMI would be very fortunate to get him, what a GREAT guy......

MR. CHICKEN
December 8th, 2005, 08:43 PM
AGREED!..................BRAWK!

Keydet90
December 12th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Is there anymore word on if Reid will take the VMI job? Other names bandied about include some guy named Eddy and Bill Stewart from WVU. I like either Stewart or Reid and I hope they give them the budget to hire quality assistants - Cal's undoing was the OC and lack of a QB coach. I'd also like to see the new HC demand a coordinator for football operations full time.

Any news out there from Chickenman or others?

DTSpider
December 12th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I personally hope that Jim Reid takes the job only if he gets the help he needs. He was way too hands on at Richmond in matters that should be handled by assistants. He's a great person and I think has the ability to do great things there. If nothing else, it could make the game with UR just that much more interesting.

Keydet90
December 12th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Got this from the Roanoke Times

The Roanoke Times

Former Georgia Southern coach Mike Sewak said Sunday he has been contacted by a VMI official about the Keydets' coaching vacancy.

Sewak, a former Southern Conference coach of the year, said he would be interested in talking more with VMI.

A 1981 graduate of Virginia, Sewak was 35-14 in four years at Georgia Southern. He led the Eagles to the 2002 Division I-AA semifinals but was fired last month after the team lost in the first round of the playoffs a second straight year.

-- Staff reports

Also saw that Fork Union Military coach John Shuman (VMI '78 - on one of the last good I-A teams at VMI) is interested and in the running. Never before have I heard so many high profile names mentioned in our coaching search. Maybe we finally opened the wallet.

Richmond Times Dispatch had a good article about Shuman and Reid but I couldn't pull it up - it is on the VMI Sports Talk site.

Does Chicken man or anyone from GSU have any information? I thought Sewak to Elon was a done deal?

DP

Baldy
December 12th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Got this from the Roanoke Times

The Roanoke Times

Former Georgia Southern coach Mike Sewak said Sunday he has been contacted by a VMI official about the Keydets' coaching vacancy.

Sewak, a former Southern Conference coach of the year, said he would be interested in talking more with VMI.

A 1981 graduate of Virginia, Sewak was 35-14 in four years at Georgia Southern. He led the Eagles to the 2002 Division I-AA semifinals but was fired last month after the team lost in the first round of the playoffs a second straight year.

-- Staff reports

Also saw that Fork Union Military coach John Shuman (VMI '78 - on one of the last good I-A teams at VMI) is interested and in the running. Never before have I heard so many high profile names mentioned in our coaching search. Maybe we finally opened the wallet.

Richmond Times Dispatch had a good article about Shuman and Reid but I couldn't pull it up - it is on the VMI Sports Talk site.

Does Chicken man or anyone from GSU have any information? I thought Sewak to Elon was a done deal?

DP

I haven't heard Sewak to Elon as a done deal.
I like and have tons of respect for Sewak, and either school would be lucky as hell to get him. One hell of a coach and even a better person.

gophoenix
December 12th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Sewak at Elon isn't a done deal. People seem to think he has had a formal interview though. Seems that there are 5 names that keep coming up for the job here.

How much does VMI pay the head coach? I was wondering how our $135k compares with other schools.

Keydet90
December 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Phoenix,

Last I checked our HCs base was about $120 per year plus he gets a real nice old historic house on campus and I think two cars every year, football camp, radio show and some local commercials. Not sure what the perks add up to. I thought $120 per year was pretty piss poor myself but not sure what other schools are paying their HCs.

DP '90

blueballs
December 13th, 2005, 08:22 AM

In your wet dreams...

...and good luck to Coach Sewak in his future endeavors.