PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota to Summit League...football effect?

CollegeSportsInfo
April 15th, 2009, 05:27 PM
With the recent news that South Dakota will indeed be joining the Summit League (http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2009/04/south-dakota-to-join-summit-league.html), it's worth noting that would be 5 football teams in the Summit. If North Dakota joins once the nickname issue is put to rest, that would be 6:

NDSU
SDSU
Western Illinois
South Dakota
Southern Utah
* North Dakota

Any thoughts about the Summit League potentially sponsoring football (essentially absorbing the Great West with football-only invites to UCS and Cal Poly)? Would the 3 MVC football members NDSU, SDSU and WIU consider a move beneficial?

ValleyChamp
April 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
NDSU, SDSU, and WIU probably have no interest of leaving a good conference for an upstart one IMO.

TheBisonator
April 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
If the Summit forced NDSU, SDSU and WIU into Summit football, then at least NDSU (and probably SDSU as well) would immediately look into going FBS. There's NO WAY the XDSU's want to give up a good thing with the MVFC.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Down the road, it might happen. Don't the Summit and GWFC have some sort of arrangement anyway?

The GWFC has to have an autobid before NDSU/SDSU/WIU even dream of moving. And how would that happen? Either Wichita State joins and suffers through a transition to an autobid, or one of the Cali schools starts up football again and does the same.

If a Cali school starts up, the center of gravity goes too far West and a SLFC is unlikely to happen.

If WSU starts up, Southern Utah will be under immense pressure to find a new conference home, with the prospect of a league with its center of gravity around Vermillion, SD. Think Denver.

SLFC football still could happen. But even if all the cards fall exactly, it looks like there need to be some more moves before it would be a real possibility IMO.

FargoBison
April 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM
With the recent news that South Dakota will indeed be joining the Summit League (http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2009/04/south-dakota-to-join-summit-league.html), it's worth noting that would be 5 football teams in the Summit. If North Dakota joins once the nickname issue is put to rest, that would be 6:

NDSU
SDSU
Western Illinois
South Dakota
Southern Utah
* North Dakota

Any thoughts about the Summit League potentially sponsoring football (essentially absorbing the Great West with football-only invites to UCS and Cal Poly)? Would the 3 MVC football members NDSU, SDSU and WIU consider a move beneficial?

No interest, NDSU is very happy in the MVFC, the conference is a great regional fit.

achrist70
April 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
No interest, NDSU is very happy in the MVFC, the conference is a great regional fit.

Other than Youngstown.

JBB
April 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Its just as likely that YSU leaves the MVFC and is replaced by University of South Dakota as an all sports Summit league.

I dont think Summit football even has that much chance of happening. It would be years before it could get an auto bid. Why would the Mighty Land Grants give up an auto bid conference?

The South Dakota schools make perfect travel partners. NDSU will need a new one if they split up the old NDSU/SDSU deal. Chicago State would be good.

ValleyChamp
April 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
YSU has always wanted out.

Yote 53
April 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM
No effect, there won't be a Summit Football Conference. It is far more lilkely USD will be in the MVFC some day given some movement in the MVFC or another conference expansion.

JackJD
April 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
With the recent news that [URL="http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2009/04/south-dakota-to-join-summit-league.html"] Would the 3 MVC football members NDSU, SDSU and WIU consider a move beneficial?

No.

CollegeSportsInfo
April 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
No effect, there won't be a Summit Football Conference. It is far more lilkely USD will be in the MVFC some day given some movement in the MVFC or another conference expansion.

True. If the 4 private schools in the MVC ever left on their own for a new conference, the 4 Dakota schools would be solid candidates.

BearsCountry
April 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Other than Youngstown.

Youngstown can leave as far as I am concerned. Great program but nobody in our region cares about them.

JackJD
April 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM
True. If the 4 private schools in the MVC ever left on their own for a new conference, the 4 Dakota schools would be solid candidates.

Baseball is big in the Valley... SDSU, NDSU and UND have baseball while USD does not. Weather is a big factor in home games in Brookings, home to SDSU, worse in Fargo, home of NDSU, and, well fageddaboutit in Grand Forks, home to UND. My opinion: SDSU and NDSU would be looked upon more favorably than USD and UND if schools left the Valley.

BearsCountry
April 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I wonder who the Summit League is going after for #12?

Or I wonder if the MVC strikes with NDSU & SDSU, something is going to shake down with football & MVC in the future I have a feeling.

JackJD
April 15th, 2009, 09:57 PM
It'll get interesting in the Valley if Wichita decides to reinstate football.

ValleyChamp
April 15th, 2009, 10:13 PM
YSU will eventually leave the MVFC, and UND and USD will be in, IMO. I think that will happen.

Wichita is not bringing back football. They don't want to get crushed by UNI in another sport.xcoolx

Also, I do not see any of the Dakota schools joining the MVC anytime in the near future. Those schools just don't quite fit in with that conf now, IMO.

BearsCountry
April 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Also, I do not see any of the Dakota schools joining the MVC anytime in the near future. Those schools just don't quite fit in with that conf now, IMO.

Umm NDSU and SDSU are mirror images of us, you guys, Illinois St, SIU and Indiana State.

crunifan
April 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Umm NDSU and SDSU are mirror images of us, you guys, Illinois St, SIU and Indiana State.

I agree completely.

ValleyChamp
April 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Yeah, in football, they are.

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Or I wonder if the MVC strikes with NDSU & SDSU, something is going to shake down with football & MVC in the future I have a feeling.

UND will be #12. Simply put UND has until November 2010 to gain tribal approval or the name is gone...USD doesn't join the Summitt until 2011 so UND has a year after the nickname issue is resolved. And its getting interesting with the Spirit Lake tribe having a reservation wide vote on Tuesday April 21, and it sounds like they have a lot of pro-Sioux name votes to challenge the tribal council.

BEAR
April 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM
xeyebrowx I thought the Dakota schools were in the Southland!?! xeyebrowx xlolxxlolx

JackTwice
April 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
UND will be #12. Simply put UND has until November 2010 to gain tribal approval or the name is gone...USD doesn't join the Summitt until 2011 so UND has a year after the nickname issue is resolved. And its getting interesting with the Spirit Lake tribe having a reservation wide vote on Tuesday April 21, and it sounds like they have a lot of pro-Sioux name votes to challenge the tribal council.

The problem with that Darrell is that unless its unanimous there will always be complaints and the NCAA will hang its hat on that. My brother is a UND graduate and a hockey season ticket holder and he's given up on the nickname and wants it changed so that everyone can just move on. That seems to me to be the best plan at this point.

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM
The problem with that Darrell is that unless its unanimous there will always be complaints and the NCAA will hang its hat on that. My brother is a UND graduate and a hockey season ticket holder and he's given up on the nickname and wants it changed so that everyone can just move on. That seems to me to be the best plan at this point.

I have almost given up on the nickname too. I thought if the nickname vote goes on there is a shot but there is NO talk of a nickname vote on the Standing Rock tribe and we need both tribes so it seems to be in the best interest to start brainstorming of a new name and move on. Plus the quicker the name starts to fade the quicker we get a new conference, and maybe even more opponents.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Just a thought. An idle thought, but one worth considering IMO.

What if IUPUI and IPFW started up FCS football?

They're both large institutions that could use a spike in male enrollment.

They're (I think) currently in transition to D-I status, just like UND and USD. I don't believe either school ever had a football program - and I have no idea about facilities - but their enrollment of something like 8,000 and 13,000 is in that range where I would think a school might think about it.

If they both started up, at least the possibility could be entertained about Summit football:

IUPUI
IPFW
UND
USD
NDSU
SDSU
WIU

SUU could join the Great West in all sports, making Summit League fans jump for joy. Cal Poly, UC-Davis and SUU could then try to convince NAU and Sacramento State to join the GWFC, with CSUF and CSUN joining as new start-ups. Perhaps UND and USD could be convinced to stick around until the GWFC gets an autobid and then they could jump to the Summit just as CSUN and CSUF jump in.

As for the MVFC, they survive just fine by prying EIU from the OVC and convincing Wichita State (and/or maybe SIU-E from the OVC) to start/restart FCS football.

That's an awful lot of falling dominoes. Still it's IMO at least a conceivable way to have it happen. But it involves six new FCS programs, which is unlikely to play out perfectly (though at least three of them have formal campaigns to reinstate football).

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
IUPUI and IPFW have completed their Division I transition. They've been making the transition for a few years now, did so even before NDSU and SDSU.

TheBisonator
April 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Here's my dream of what I want to happen: (Not likely, BTW)

1) Youngstown State moves to the MAC and FBS
2) Wichita State decides to start up football
3) Evansville bolts for the Horizon League
4) The MVC, at nine members, decides to expand to 12 and add NDSU, SDSU and Western Illinois (By this time NDSU and WIU will have new basketball arenas)
5) The MVFC becomes just the MVC for football
6) Once a playoff is established in FBS, the MVC decides to move to the FBS en masse

Not entirely out of the realm of possibility, but not bloody likely either.

BearsCountry
April 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Who is going to replace Texas State and UTSA in the Southland? You got to think Houston Baptist and Centenary are on that list.

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM

4) The MVC, at nine members, decides to expand to 12 and add NDSU, SDSU and Western Illinois (By this time NDSU and WIU will have new basketball arenas)
6) Once a playoff is established in FBS, the MVC decides to move to the FBS en masse

#6 won't happen. Probably ever!

BearsCountry
April 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Doing good until the WIU part. If we moved up to FBS I would rather have Texas State than WIU or just keep Evansville and have 8 football schools.

TexasTerror
April 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Who is going to replace Texas State and UTSA in the Southland? You got to think Houston Baptist and Centenary are on that list.

Centenary and UT-Pan American will most certainly apply. I'm guessing we'll need to see what happens when the dust settles with the moratorium.

Tarleton State. Delta State. Central Oklahoma. All options. We'll see. Do not forget about Lamar, who also has FBS aspirations. If LU and TXST both go FBS, SHSU will follow...even if it's not the best move.

Shockerman
April 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Two things...

Wichita State will have Football again
WIU will never be in the Valley*

*Unless there is a major shake up and the higher profile schools leave

Thunderstruck84
April 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM

I'm sure the league and it's members would prefer UND to be the 12th team but according to Jeff Kolpack of the Fargo Forum there are currently 5 schools with membership applications submitted to the Summit League with Utah Valley State posing a biggest threat to UND among those:

UND's new competition: Utah Valley State (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=49113)

The thought behind adding UVSU is that they could be a travel partner with current member Southern Utah. SUU's current travel parter, UMKC, is 1200 miles away. UMKC would then become USD's travel partner.

UND is probably the first option but the league has a plan B (and maybe C) in the works also if the nickname fiasco continues to drag on.

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I'm sure the league and it's members would prefer UND to be the 12th team but according to Jeff Kolpack of the Fargo Forum there are currently 5 schools with membership applications submitted to the Summit League with Utah Valley State posing a biggest threat to UND among those:

UND's new competition: Utah Valley State (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=49113)

The thought behind adding UVSU is that they could be a travel partner with current member Southern Utah. SUU's current travel parter, UMKC, is 1200 miles away. UMKC would then become USD's travel partner.

UND is probably the first option but the league has a plan B (and maybe C) in the works also if the nickname fiasco continues to drag on.

Why does him and the Summitt say UND needs to solve the nickname issue: To them and the rest of the world its solved!!! UND took the NCAA to court there was a ruling either get tribal approval by Nov. 2010 or kiss the nickname goodbye how much simpler is that. UND is working on that tribal support there was talk that if UND doesn't get support by the beginning of next year they will start to faze it out. Again its that simple so offically by November 2010 UND will be the Sioux or something else. If the president of the Summitt can't figure that out on his own give President Kelly a call and he will explain everything to him or better yet go to siouxsports.com and take some notes.

bisonguy
April 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Why does him and the Summitt say UND needs to solve the nickname issue: To them and the rest of the world its solved!!! UND took the NCAA to court there was a ruling either get tribal approval by Nov. 2010 or kiss the nickname goodbye how much simpler is that. UND is working on that tribal support there was talk that if UND doesn't get support by the beginning of next year they will start to faze it out. Again its that simple so offically by November 2010 UND will be the Sioux or something else. If the president of the Summitt can't figure that out on his own give President Kelly a call and he will explain everything to him or better yet go to siouxsports.com and take some notes.

Doesn't exactly sound like it was solved, yet.

crunifan
April 16th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Two things...

Wichita State will have Football again
WIU will never be in the Valley*

*Unless there is a major shake up and the higher profile schools leave

I hope this is true.

UNI needs another sport to beat the Shockers in. ;) Considering many of Wichita State's more vocal fans seem very condescending to UNI, it would be fun to see how they react the beating UNI would lay on the Shocker football team. xlolx

As for WIU. Agreed. They have no place in the Valley at the moment.

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Doesn't exactly sound like it was solved, yet.

Why not? On November 30, 2010 it will be the University of North Dakota Fighting ______. Fill in the blank. Whats funny is the president of the Summitt League has prohibited its members from playing the Sioux due to its nickname. UND is playing IPFW and UMKC in basketball this fall/winter. Some teams seem to look past the nickname issue. Others (Minnesota) should take note.

CollegeSportsInfo
April 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I agree completely.

I'd love to see a future MVC lineup that were all state schools. The private schools are great, but if they left for a potential better home in a new conference, the 4 Dakota schools would be a nice fit both in school type and location:

Northern Iowa
Illinois St.
So. Illinois
Indiana St.
Missouri St.
Wichita St.
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU

CollegeSportsInfo
April 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Why not? On November 30, 2010 it will be the University of North Dakota Fighting ______. Fill in the blank. Whats funny is the president of the Summitt League has prohibited its members from playing the Sioux due to its nickname. UND is playing IPFW and UMKC in basketball this fall/winter. Some teams seem to look past the nickname issue. Others (Minnesota) should take note.

Based on the expected beatings by NDSU, they should just change their name to the Fighting Sues.

CollegeSportsInfo
April 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM

That would be a shame. The entire Summit would rather SUU leave the conference. The Summit should think basics: what candidate is beneficial to the larger number of members: UND or UValley. UValley helps ONLY SUU.

CollegeSportsInfo
April 16th, 2009, 09:45 PM

I would think that the Southland would look to replace lost football schools with new football schools. UTSA starting football helps but how long will they be around. Not too many options. Jax St would work...maybe they aim for (2) Tennessee schools from the OVC.

Tough call. Travelwise, Centenery, UTPA and Houston Baptist (maybe even Orel Roberts) would be good picks. Centenary and Orel Roberts to the southland would eliminate that southern section of the Summit as well.

BearsCountry
April 16th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I'd love to see a future MVC lineup that were all state schools. The private schools are great, but if they left for a potential better home in a new conference, the 4 Dakota schools would be a nice fit both in school type and location:

Northern Iowa
Illinois St.
So. Illinois
Indiana St.
Missouri St.
Wichita St.
UND
NDSU
USD
SDSU

Too much history with Bradley, Creighton, and Drake in the MVC.

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Based on the expected beatings by NDSU, they should just change their name to the Fighting Sues.

What expected beatings??

Thundar
April 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM

I can't understand how UND fans think this issue is resolved??? Still have the name (which is hurting them badly right now) and the tribes have not voted yes or no, plus even if the tribes vote yes it doesn't mean crap as in a year they could/would more than likely bring the issue back up, and there isn't a conference in the world that wants to be attached to that. Sorry UND its drop the name or Drop to NAIA

so not even close to resolved

darell1976
April 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I can't understand how UND fans think this issue is resolved??? Still have the name (which is hurting them badly right now) and the tribes have not voted yes or no, plus even if the tribes vote yes it doesn't mean crap as in a year they could/would more than likely bring the issue back up, and there isn't a conference in the world that wants to be attached to that. Sorry UND its drop the name or Drop to NAIA

so not even close to resolved

The president of UND said if the tribes don't go for the name by the beginning of 2010 they would start to faze out the name after November 30, 2010 the nickname issue is DEAD!!!!! No more Sioux or long live the Fighting Sioux. If it wasn't resolved the 2 sides would still be in court.

JackTwice
April 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
You miss the point Darrell. Its kind of like having a bankruptcy on your credit report. You've resolved all of your bills 5 years ago and have had good credit since but that dang thing hangs over your head till it completely drops off. IMHO if UND cared as much about its future in D-I and the student athletes that it brings in they would announce a name change effective at the start of the school year 2009 and just get it over with. But that's me and I'm not tied to the name.

JBB
April 18th, 2009, 09:11 AM
It now appears the naming vote may not happen due to irregularities in the petitions to get the issue on the Tribal Ballot:

Terry Morgan and Erich Longie allege that more than 85 of the 301 signatures that it took to put the issue on the ballot are questionable. They’re asking a tribal judge to delay the referendum today so they can challenge the signatures.

The nickname, a divisive issue at UND and in Grand Forks, is becoming divisive on the reservation, as well.

I dont think the Summit league wants any part of that.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/237648/group/Sports/

I also dont think there is any chance of Summit League football. Maybe after the WCHA starts sponsoring football among the participating members, and it works out real well, the Summit members might consider it.

Kid Dakota
April 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Not sure why people want to go FBS all the time. This level is much better run and has a playoff system.

Thundar
April 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM
You miss the point Darrell. Its kind of like having a bankruptcy on your credit report. You've resolved all of your bills 5 years ago and have had good credit since but that dang thing hangs over your head till it completely drops off. IMHO if UND cared as much about its future in D-I and the student athletes that it brings in they would announce a name change effective at the start of the school year 2009 and just get it over with. But that's me and I'm not tied to the name.

DING DING DING WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!

darell1976
April 18th, 2009, 01:37 PM
It now appears the naming vote may not happen due to irregularities in the petitions to get the issue on the Tribal Ballot:

I also dont think there is any chance of Summit League football. Maybe after the WCHA starts sponsoring football among the participating members, and it works out real well, the Summit members might consider it.

The judges ruled in favor the nickname supporters. They said its too late in the ballgame to take it off the ballot...let the voting begin...on Tuesday. GO SIOUX!!:)

darell1976
April 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM

The Western Collegiant Hockey Association sponsoring football...Thats lilke saying the NHL is sponsoring football. WHAT?xconfusedx

Also the Summitt League told its members not to schedule UND because of their name...do the members listen to the league (NDSU) or ignore the league and schedule the Sioux (UMKC, IPFW). The league is sucking up to the NCAA by saying this. All they need to do is talk to UND about the nickname issue but obviously hasn't. They just come out with stupid statements like a scheduling ban...whatever.

Thundar
April 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
The Western Collegiant Hockey Association sponsoring football...Thats lilke saying the NHL is sponsoring football. WHAT?xconfusedx

Also the Summitt League told its members not to schedule UND because of their name...do the members listen to the league (NDSU) or ignore the league and schedule the Sioux (UMKC, IPFW). The league is sucking up to the NCAA by saying this. All they need to do is talk to UND about the nickname issue but obviously hasn't. They just come out with stupid statements like a scheduling ban...whatever.

FYI Darrell, UND needs the Summit but the Summit does not NEED UND, so they are NOT going to get involved with something the Admin at UND should be taking care of but don't have the balls to because they are scared the big donors in the Hockey program will freak out! UND sold its soul to the Hockey Devil and its biting its behind right now! Also the Summit never came out and put a scheduling ban on UND they only stated that they didn't encourage member schools to get into scheduling agreements with a team that is in a conflict with their nickname and the NCAA!xcoffeex

darell1976
April 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM

The NCAA and UND set the timetable of Nov. 30th 2010 for the ending of this issue. It was in a court of law. UND must get both tribes to approve the name or lose it on Nov. 30th. UND is going through the process set by the court by seeking approval and the if the native americans on the tribes say they don't want it..its gone but so far only the tribal council have said they dissapprove of the name that is why the Spirit Lake tribe is going to vote on Tuesday to say their views on this issue. And the members of the Standing Rock would like to get a petition started to vote on the issue. The Summitt League is very blind in this issue this would be like if Central Michigan would leave the MAC in favor of the Big Ten and the Big Ten president saying sorry CMU since you are the Chippewas you can't join. UND has been the Fighting Sioux for over 70 years sorry if its hard to change a name because some jerk (Summit League President) is blind in the whole Sioux vs NCAA court trial). If the vote on Tuesday goes against the Sioux the issue is 99% resolved and the name change will begin, but if they vote for the name then there is some light at the end of this issue.

Thundar
April 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
The NCAA and UND set the timetable of Nov. 30th 2010 for the ending of this issue. It was in a court of law. UND must get both tribes to approve the name or lose it on Nov. 30th. UND is going through the process set by the court by seeking approval and the if the native americans on the tribes say they don't want it..its gone but so far only the tribal council have said they dissapprove of the name that is why the Spirit Lake tribe is going to vote on Tuesday to say their views on this issue. And the members of the Standing Rock would like to get a petition started to vote on the issue. The Summitt League is very blind in this issue this would be like if Central Michigan would leave the MAC in favor of the Big Ten and the Big Ten president saying sorry CMU since you are the Chippewas you can't join. UND has been the Fighting Sioux for over 70 years sorry if its hard to change a name because some jerk (Summit League President) is blind in the whole Sioux vs NCAA court trial). If the vote on Tuesday goes against the Sioux the issue is 99% resolved and the name change will begin, but if they vote for the name then there is some light at the end of this issue.

Are you kidding me???? now its Douples fault?? WTFxoopsx

darell1976
April 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
FYI Darrell, UND needs the Summit but the Summit does not NEED UND, so they are NOT going to get involved with something the Admin at UND should be taking care of but don't have the balls to because they are scared the big donors in the Hockey program will freak out! UND sold its soul to the Hockey Devil and its biting its behind right now! Also the Summit never came out and put a scheduling ban on UND they only stated that they didn't encourage member schools to get into scheduling agreements with a team that is in a conflict with their nickname and the NCAA!xcoffeex And as I recall only NDSU said they would do what the Summitt wanted. What would they think about UMKC and IPFW scheduling the Sioux (this is the 2nd year playing UMKC). I am sure the president has an opinion on these schools not listening. Also who says UND isn't going to get into the Summitt. Offically USD is not a member until 2011...1 year after the nickname issue is dead. The Summitt could say the Sioux could join after the Nov 30th deadline. Don't write them off yet.xsmiley_wix

Hansel
April 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I don't think the Summit wants to be associated with UND's final nickname resolution (and the press regarding it) when it comes to pass

If UND were a member of the Summit when that happens- they would be

darell1976
April 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Its his fault for saying you are not getting in because of your nickname....offically UND's nickname is not on the hostile and abusive list (per the court outcome).

darell1976
April 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM

I could see his comments meaning UND is not joining until the nickname issue is complete (meaning November 30th 2010 if no other team besides USD has joined.) He could've said it that way.

Thundar
April 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
And as I recall only NDSU said they would do what the Summitt wanted. What would they think about UMKC and IPFW scheduling the Sioux (this is the 2nd year playing UMKC). I am sure the president has an opinion on these schools not listening. Also who says UND isn't going to get into the Summitt. Offically USD is not a member until 2011...1 year after the nickname issue is dead. The Summitt could say the Sioux could join after the Nov 30th deadline. Don't write them off yet.xsmiley_wix

I don't know? who did?xconfusedx

JBB
April 18th, 2009, 06:03 PM
And as I recall only NDSU said they would do what the Summitt wanted. What would they think about UMKC and IPFW scheduling the Sioux (this is the 2nd year playing UMKC). I am sure the president has an opinion on these schools not listening. Also who says UND isn't going to get into the Summitt. Offically USD is not a member until 2011...1 year after the nickname issue is dead. The Summitt could say the Sioux could join after the Nov 30th deadline. Don't write them off yet.xsmiley_wix

I think UND is probably getting in. I dont know what the entrance fee will be, maybe 1 million but the nickname issue is going to have to be solved.

One of the things I dont like about UND is their habit of creating problems.

It should be noted that the Summit schools can schedule UND any time they want, member or not. xcoolx

JackJD
April 18th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Darell's comments seem reflective of more than a few UND fans' sentiments on the mascot issue facing UND. If the kind of fan rage and lack of sound thinking (blaming Tom Douple now? -- geez, buddy, maybe the Summit League just prefers to stay out of the fray until you get it figured out: that's the position of the League and that's basically what Douple said!), combined with the institution's lack of resolve and failure to promptly make a decision, is what UND wants us to know about it, then I have great concern about admitting UND to the Summit League.

Hammersmith
April 19th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Darell, stuff like this is why the Douple and the Summit presidents don't want to have anything to do with UND for the time being:

Nickname struggle intensifies (http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/115426/)

The tactics being used by an anti-nickname group have sunk to quite a level, and it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. The last thing the Summit members want is for stories like the above to appear in their local media with the following phrase: "The University of North Dakota, a member of The Summit League athletic conference, ..."

The NCAA settlement does not mean the situation is resolved, and not all publicity is good publicity, despite the old saying.

JBB
April 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Exactly Hammer and it may go further than that.

This vote is so controversial, spiteful and divisive that the outcome is essentially meaningless. As long as the REA remains involved and the Englestad legacy of racial insensitivity remains intact controversy will continue to haunt UND and may keep the Summit aloof and uncommitted regardless of the NCAA compliance issue.

PantherRob82
April 19th, 2009, 01:19 PM
As for the MVFC, they survive just fine by prying EIU from the OVC and convincing Wichita State (and/or maybe SIU-E from the OVC) to start/restart FCS football.

EIU will never come BACK to the MVFC.
WSU will not start football (unfortunately).
and
SIU-E would never be allowed in a conference with SIU.

PantherRob82
April 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM

WIU would never be a part of that equation.

RabidRabbit
April 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM
It's a shame that we can't have a combined MV league of football schools of each current league, and send the non-football schools to another combined league.

This could lead to a nice football league of the current MVFC + the Great West for a 14 team league, and split into an eastern/western split (add SDSU/NDSU back in to current GWFC), and then play the other half for two games. Still leaves another three games to schedule. Regarding BB, would have a 12 team league (lose Cal Poly / UC-Davis).

Send Creighton, Drake (non-schollie FB), Bradley, WSU, Evansville to join IUPUI, Oakland, IPFW, UMKC, Oral Roberts, Centenary for their BB focused league.

RabidRabbit
April 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
BTW, all conference shuffling will be driven by the Big East split-up coming in 2012/2013.

darell1976
April 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Exactly Hammer and it may go further than that.

This vote is so controversial, spiteful and divisive that the outcome is essentially meaningless. As long as the REA remains involved and the Englestad legacy of racial insensitivity remains intact controversy will continue to haunt UND and may keep the Summit aloof and uncommitted regardless of the NCAA compliance issue.

Funny thing you mention the REA...UND does not own the REA so they could tell the Sioux to play elsewhere if they wanted to. But with the big $$$$ coming into that arena they won't and I can't see them destroying that building either. I think they will do something to tweak that arena with the logos to make it more NCAA friendly. Maybe have a museum of past logos with the big Sioux logo on the floor or something. But that vote to me is going to be worrysome due to possible ballet fixing or even violence between protesters for and against the name clashing. Here is one question i have we have heard the responce on the nickname from the Summitt League...how come the Great West Conference is so silent on the issue they never said they are for or against it. I have not heard 1 word from them.

darell1976
April 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Darell's comments seem reflective of more than a few UND fans' sentiments on the mascot issue facing UND. If the kind of fan rage and lack of sound thinking (blaming Tom Douple now? -- geez, buddy, maybe the Summit League just prefers to stay out of the fray until you get it figured out: that's the position of the League and that's basically what Douple said!), combined with the institution's lack of resolve and failure to promptly make a decision, is what UND wants us to know about it, then I have great concern about admitting UND to the Summit League.

Don't be too concerned JackJD this whole thing may be over on Tuesday when the voting returns come in, because if the natives don't want the name... i see no point in talking to them anymore and its time to start coming up with new nickname ideas. Even if it means a year with no nickname.

Gil Dobie
April 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Don't be too concerned JackJD this whole thing may be over on Tuesday when the voting returns come in, because if the natives don't want the name... i see no point in talking to them anymore and its time to start coming up with new nickname ideas. Even if it means a year with no nickname.

The team formerly called the Fighting Sioux xwhistlex

darell1976
April 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
The team formerly called the Fighting Sioux xwhistlexcan they do that?? Here are your University of North Dakota Formerly known as the Fighting Sioux. Its long but could that work.xlolx

Gil Dobie
April 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM
can they do that?? Here are your University of North Dakota Formerly known as the Fighting Sioux. Its long but could that work.xlolx

...or take the Prince thing to the next step and just use a symbol.

Thundar
April 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Funny thing you mention the REA...UND does not own the REA so they could tell the Sioux to play elsewhere if they wanted to. But with the big $$$$ coming into that arena they won't and I can't see them destroying that building either. I think they will do something to tweak that arena with the logos to make it more NCAA friendly. Maybe have a museum of past logos with the big Sioux logo on the floor or something. But that vote to me is going to be worrysome due to possible ballet fixing or even violence between protesters for and against the name clashing. Here is one question i have we have heard the responce on the nickname from the Summitt League...how come the Great West Conference is so silent on the issue they never said they are for or against it. I have not heard 1 word from them.

Well the GWC is so unstable with transition schools, no Autobid for Football or Basketball, and schools from New Jersey to California, they need anyone so the nickname is non issue, as the GWC is basically a "scheduling alliance" (see Link). A team from the GWC making the playoffs isn;t happening, except the possibility for Poly, SUU, or Davis to get an at-large

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Basketball_Conference
any teams look familiar? the original web-site has since been taken down

http://greatwestconference.cstv.com/

darell1976
April 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Well the GWC is so unstable with transition schools, no Autobid for Football or Basketball, and schools from New Jersey to California, they need anyone so the nickname is non issue, as the GWC is basically a "scheduling alliance" (see Link). A team from the GWC making the playoffs isn;t happening, except the possibility for Poly, SUU, or Davis to get an at-large

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Basketball_Conference
any teams look familiar? the original web-site has since been taken down

http://greatwestconference.cstv.com/

Good point Thundar.