PDA

View Full Version : Play for the money or a playoff game?

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Scheduling I-A teams brings a question to mind: how on earth do FCS teams with 1 or more FBS teams on their schedules contend for a playoff berth? When few teams have ever qualified with 7 wins. And even 8 wins isn't a guarantee of a berth. Is the money paramount over the playoffs?

Paul

TexasTerror
April 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Scheduling I-A teams brings a question to mind: how on earth do FCS teams with 1 or more FBS teams on their schedules contend for a playoff berth? When few teams have ever qualified with 7 wins. And even 8 wins isn't a guarantee of a berth. Is the money paramount over the playoffs?

Some schools, particularly in the SLC, were hit hard by the recent hurricanes (notably Rita and Katrina in 2005, but also Nicholls as of late with the storms of 2008). These schools needed to make up revenue shortcomings and cuts from the school (due to loss enrollment, etc).

In other cases, it has come about due to late schedule drops (SHSU was dropped by PV recently without being formally notified by PV). When you get dropped late in the game, you will have to go sub-Div I or FBS with your schedule in most cases, especially with all this late moving around at the FBS level.

Montanan
April 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Paul

not easy, but you win your conference's autobid. in the Sky 8 conference wins guarantees you a playoff birth.

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Very few teams in the Big Sky can run the table in conference play. It was a stacked conference this past year and looks to be the same in 2009.

Paul

AppStateold299
April 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
It is a hard decision, but the possibility of the upset win and the money are hard to pass up. I mean when teams are paying you more than $450,000 just to show up and some close to $1,000,000 it is almost impossible to walk away. Although, I see your point that losses make it hard to make it into the playoffs. Because you are right it is hard to run the table in any conference. The difficult games from FBS I think do play some role when selections are made. I don't see too many teams getting hurt for playing a tough schedule. The caliber of teams definitely come into play.

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Worked out well for App. State vs. Michigan. xthumbsupx

AppStateold299
April 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah it did, but how many times does that actually happen? Not that many because it wouldn't be that big of a deal if it did. I mean one game shouldn't be talked about for years later. I am proud of the game, but our record isn't that bad outside of the one game.

Lumberjacks76
April 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Michigan was ranked, I believe, #5 at the time.

Paul

yorkcountyUNHfan
April 15th, 2009, 07:00 PM

Paul

You CAN do both:D

BEAR
April 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Well, if a team has the foresight that it most likely will not make the playoffs due to a tough schedule, poor performing team, need for cash, or due to transition to the FCS level (i.e. UCA) then the likelyhood is that they won't be in the top 16 or 24 teams that are picked for the playoffs, why not take the cash? It's a great way to build the program.

On the FBS level, Just ask Arkansas State about their possibility of making a bowl game on a yearly basis. Bowl = Cash (yes there are bowl games that don't cover the tab of getting the teams there, I know that. But publicity is good for a program too.) That former dominant Southland member is hoping to have a winning record this year and have scheduled tough opponents.

I guess the scenario is the same for both levels. If you think your program will be contenders at the end of the year, schedule to fit the scenario that will best put you in that situation of making the playoffs. If not, grab the cash! xlolx

And please don't anyone say that every team has the ambition or ability to make the playoffs. There are bottomdwellers in every conference. xreadx Sorry, I'm not PC. xpeacex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
If you had asked me before the 2004 season what I thought UNH's chances were of making the playoffs, I would have said slim, very slim. That year they had only four home games (the four A-10 games), played at defending national champion Delaware as an OOC game, played at Rutgers (I-A) and it was the Hanover year for the Dartmouth game. I seriously though that getting to 7-4 that year was a stretch.

But we ended up 9-2 that year to prove that extremely difficult schedules aren't always the impediment we view them to be. No argument though that margin of error is very slim. You really do have to have a very good conference record if you're going to overcome two FBS losses. App did it one year. It is possible, but much tougher odds.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Does anyone else think that the tough economic times are going to result in a very high number of FCS schools scheduling two money games? Now that "money game" could be a second FBS game or with a FCS school with excellent attendance that can afford to buy a one-time OOC game or do two for ones.

Lumberjacks76
April 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM
It certainly looks that way.

Paul

BobcatTXST04
April 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Honestly it's not such a bad deal. You can get the money for projects and expenses and one FBS loss won't hurt you that badly. We made the playoffs with FBS loss twice now, so the FBS losses are not a playoff kiss of death. However, on the rare occasions that teams win their FBS games, they get the money, the publicity, and an extra W for when the time comes to choose playoff teams.

89Hen
April 16th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Since 2000 some of the teams with 7 wins and a I-A loss that may have prevented them from making the playoffs...

UNI: 2006, 2004, 2000
Illinois State: 2005, 2000
Cal Poly: 2007, 2006
Georgia Southern: 2007
McNeese: 2008
Northwestern State: 2008
Nichols State: 2002
Portland State: 2006, 2004

Bill Hanson
April 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I say play for the money. Schools need money more than ever these days, and the sports programs are one way to get it.

JayJ79
April 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I don't think a loss to an FBS team should have any more of a factor on playoff selection than a Division 2 win does.

Of course, the most common reason for FCS teams to schedule D2 teams, is so that they can get another home game (more revenue from ticket sales, and it keeps the fans happier).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM
A D-II win has absolutely no impact on the playoff selection. It's like it doesn't exist. But are you saying that a close loss to a FBS on their field shouldn't "any" impact? Personally, I think an outstanding effort at a FBS school should get some credit. It impresses me more than wins over certain FCS schools. I know I'd rank UNI higher if they have a good game against Iowa or Iowa State more so than if they pound Drake. xpeacex

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Since 2000 some of the teams with 7 wins and a I-A loss that may have prevented them from making the playoffs...

Don't forget about seven D-I wins. xwhistlex xwhistlex

Cobblestone
April 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
You can't make the playoffs if your program doesn't exist. In our case we need the cash. We haven't made the playoffs since 1985 so I'll take some FBS poundings and money with the hope that the payments will be put into the recruiting budget and facilities in order to get us into playoff contention.

Bill Hanson
April 16th, 2009, 01:48 PM
You can't make the playoffs if your program doesn't exist. In our case we need the cash. We haven't made the playoffs since 1985 so I'll take some FBS poundings and money with the hope that the payments will be put into the recruiting budget and facilities in order to get us into playoff contention.

A stadium does not a team make.

Cobblestone
April 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM
A stadium does not a team make.

True. However, a good facility can get a recruits attention and help with the process. What I'm saying is it can't hurt.

Native
April 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM

Good point, but remember that 2008 was a 12-game year.

Retro
April 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Paul

They Win!!!! They win their conference, they beat their OOC teams and they may even beat the FBS team (s) on the schedule occasionally or at least keep it respectable..

Most teams that schedule 2 or 3 FBS games are not perennial conference champ contenders, probably are more focused on the money side than the championship side... Teams like App, Delaware, JMU, Mcneese, Montana and UNI are more focused on winning a championship and will still schedule at least 1 FBS team each year and have all beaten FBS teams in the recent past..

You can easily schedule 2 FBS games, lose both and still make the playoffs with 8 wins in an 11 game schedule either at large or winning confernece... Just depends on the team.

BTW, It's all FBS now, there is no I-A or I-AA...

Retro
April 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM

The FBS (NOT I-A) LOSS by Mcneese didn't prevent them from making the playoffs as much as pure losses did yo UCA and others.. Mcneese cancellation of the Cal-Poly game because of a hurricane really made Mcneese have to win conference to get in.. Same thing with Nicholls.

igo4uni
April 16th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I know I'd rank UNI higher if they have a good game against Iowa or Iowa State more so than if they pound Drake. xpeacex

Beating Iowa State is not so hard.........Iowa in Iowa City is a bit more of a challenge.

JayJ79
April 16th, 2009, 10:56 PM
BTW, It's all FBS now, there is no I-A or I-AA...

Not exactly.
it's not all FBS. Only the teams formerly known as I-A are FBS (the ones eligible for Bowl games). While the teams formerly known as I-AA (that are eligible for the Championship... the NCAA-sanctioned championship, that is) are FCS.
But they are all Division I, just like they have always been.

I'm sure you already knew that, I'm just being technical. xreadx

Wildcat80
April 17th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Very few teams in the Big Sky can run the table in conference play. It was a stacked conference this past year and looks to be the same in 2009.

Paul

Double-ditto in the caa! In answer to your query--UNH tries to do both! To date our record is pretty good with wins over Northwestern, Rutgers, Army and hopefully Ball state & pitt coming. I'd actually like us to schedule up the FBS power chain for higher profile games even if we lose and to raise more funds for the program.

Lumberjacks76
April 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
With two challenging FBS games on the slate -- Arizona and Ole Miss -- NAU really needs to go 7-1 in conference to have a chance at an at-large bid.

Paul

yorkcountyUNHfan
April 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Double-ditto in the caa! In answer to your query--UNH tries to do both! To date our record is pretty good with wins over Northwestern, Rutgers, Army and hopefully Ball state & pitt coming. I'd actually like us to schedule up the FBS power chain for higher profile games even if we lose and to raise more funds for the program.

You forgot Marshall....

Lumberjacks76
April 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Marshall has struggled in recent years but went undefeated in 2000 or so.

Paul