PDA

View Full Version : Bad FBS/FCS games

Big Al
April 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I'm a big advocate of playing anyone, anywhere, any time but I have to agree these are embarrassing for the teams involved:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=rivals-290416&prov=rivals&type=lgns

TheBisonator
April 15th, 2009, 06:50 PM
It's happening because the bad FCS programs need the $$$$$$$$$$$$

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
It's happening because the bad FCS programs need the $$$$$$$$$$$$

And because a lot of the BCS schools are scared to play good FCS teams. Has Rutgers scheduled a good FCS team since getting beat by Villanova and New Hampshire?

Look at the BCS school in my backyard which once played in the A-10/Yankee with most of the current CAA schools. Have the Sled Dogs ever scheduled UMass, UNH, Delaware, Richmond, JMU, etc.? Have they ever scheduled their Big East mate Villanova? Since they finished their transition, the answer is a resounding NO!! OMG, if the Sled Dogs ever lost to one of their old A-10 mate they couldn't perpetuate the "this is why we went I-A" talk they spout every time they beat URI, Hofstra, Murray State, Lehigh, etc.

Then there's Syracuse. Every rumor I heard had the Orange as UNH's money game for 2009. Then my Wildcats beat Army and the game with the Orange never came to fruition. Worked out for Maine just fine and I hope the Black Bears whoop the Orange even if it means they cancel the 2010 game!!! ;) xlolx xlolx

MaroonDoom
April 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
For Georgia, this matchup comes the week after Florida and the week before Auburn. The Bulldogs may as well play an intrasquad scrimmage for all the good this one will do for them.
Ouch!

WMTribe90
April 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Can't argue too much with his list and the author recognizes the difference between the top and bottom of FCS. That said i don't think NU vs BC deserves to be on his list. NU's inclusion is based on their poor record, but they have lost a lot of close games in CAA play to good teams and they have a decent history of playing FBS teams close. At any rate, I don't think this match-up warrants the "embarrasing" label.

danefan
April 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Not to much to argue about with that article (except maybe Northeastern - but records count for something).

The guy actually gives props to FCS ball and really seems to understand it.

89Hen
April 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Not to much to argue about with that article (except maybe Northeastern - but records count for something).

The guy actually gives props to FCS ball and really seems to understand it.
Agreed. xrulesx

BobcatTXST04
April 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know offhand (Terror: this is your department) which SLC teams are playing FBS teams this season?

I know we are playing TCU, but I can't think off the top of my head which other SLC teams are playing FBS teams this season.

However, some of these FBS schools are really going for an easy win. Kind of like Texas Tech last year who had E. Washington and another FCS school in their OOC. These teams just love a creampuff-filled OOC, and some of these schools they chose to play would probably provide less of a challegne than an intrasquad game.

Good article though. Like was said earlier, the guy seems to know his FCS football pretty well.

bluehenbillk
April 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Agreed. xrulesx

I'll 3rd it, good article. Tells you how bad Michigan has become when DelState vs Michigan doesn't make the list.

Retro
April 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Now, he needs to do an article on the best FCS vs FBS matchups...

Lehigh Football Nation
April 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Then there's Syracuse. Every rumor I heard had the Orange as UNH's money game for 2009. Then my Wildcats beat Army and the game with the Orange never came to fruition. Worked out for Maine just fine and I hope the Black Bears whoop the Orange even if it means they cancel the 2010 game!!! ;) xlolx xlolx

Not mentioned in the article was how the aforementioned Northeastern Huskies basically put the Fear of Gosh in Syracuse before falling last year... :D

EWashEagle
April 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM
BobCat, FYI Eastern Washington was down 28-17 at halftime. The fans were rude and thought it was gonna be easy. I was there, and the crowd couldn't believe we scored 17 on them by the half and was shocked.

Yes Tech ended up winning, but the crowd, the head coach and the team expressed how impressed they were with Eastern and gave EWU their respect.

The following week, EWU was beating Colorado by 7 with less than 3 minutes left in the game. Unfortunately they scored, then we threw a pick six. My point, I dont think Eastern can be referred as a FCS creampuff.

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I am upset with this story...why aren't we #1 on that list. xlolxxlolx

BobcatTXST04
April 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM
BobCat, FYI Eastern Washington was down 28-17 at halftime. The fans were rude and thought it was gonna be easy. I was there, and the crowd couldn't believe we scored 17 on them by the half and was shocked.

Yes Tech ended up winning, but the crowd, the head coach and the team expressed how impressed they were with Eastern and gave EWU their respect.

The following week, EWU was beating Colorado by 7 with less than 3 minutes left in the game. Unfortunately they scored, then we threw a pick six. My point, I dont think Eastern can be referred as a FCS creampuff.

You're correct with that statement. I did not mean to classify you guys as a 'creampuff' school. I was talking more about the fact that a Big XII school had two FCS schools in their OOC, and certainly meant no disrespect to your or any other FCS school.

TexasTerror
April 17th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know offhand (Terror: this is your department) which SLC teams are playing FBS teams this season?

UCA @ Hawaii, @ Western Kentucky
McNeese @ Tulane
Nicholls @ Air Force, @ La Tech
Northwestern St @ Houston, @ Baylor
Sam Houston State @ Tulsa
Southeastern La. @ Ole Miss
SFA @ SMU
TXST @ TCU

andy7171
April 17th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Wow! I thought for sure the Towson/Northwestern game would be in that top 10.

So he's telling me there's a chance! :D

OL FU
April 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Can't argue too much with his list and the author recognizes the difference between the top and bottom of FCS. That said i don't think NU vs BC deserves to be on his list. NU's inclusion is based on their poor record, but they have lost a lot of close games in CAA play to good teams and they have a decent history of playing FBS teams close. At any rate, I don't think this match-up warrants the "embarrasing" label.

Also, I think it is commendable for the BCS school to play a FCS that is located in the vicinity.

WMTribe90
April 17th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Also, I think it is commendable for the BCS school to play a FCS that is located in the vicinity.

Very good point.

Skjellyfetti
April 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Congratulations to to the Mocs on their distinction.

Umass74
April 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Yes, good point. BC deserves a tip of the hat for scheduling the cash-poor New England FCS teams. It's a bus trip for UMass, URI, UNH, Northeastern and UMaine, so all the guarantee is profit.

They didn't have to do things that way. UConn has also scheduled a number of CAA North teams (but not UMass, so far).

EWashEagle
April 17th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Cool BobCat

igo4uni
April 17th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Now, he needs to do an article on the best FCS vs FBS matchups...

Yes.

Look for UNI to beat Iowa in September.

igo4uni
April 17th, 2009, 10:29 PM
UCA @ Hawaii, @ Western Kentucky
McNeese @ Tulane
Nicholls @ Air Force, @ La Tech
Northwestern St @ Houston, @ Baylor
Sam Houston State @ Tulsa
Southeastern La. @ Ole Miss
SFA @ SMU
TXST @ TCU

good work, terror!!

JayJ79
April 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM
can FBS teams count more than one win against FCS teams towards bowl eligibility?

TexasTerror
April 18th, 2009, 07:19 AM
can FBS teams count more than one win against FCS teams towards bowl eligibility?

Nope. Just one.

There's about six schools that have two games against FCS teams, which were necessitated due to problems filling out their schedule. Rutgers with Howard and Texas Southern is one of them.

Those teams must win SEVEN games to get bowl eligible.

UAalum72
April 18th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Those teams must win SEVEN games to get bowl eligible.
Not if they lose to one of the FCS teams, right?

They need five wins vs. FBS and at least one vs. FCS

Uncle Buck
April 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Back in the late 90 and early 2000 when Hofstra made several playoff appearances we tried to land Rutgers as an FBS game and they always snubbed us.

ElSissy
April 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM
These games are played for money only. The FBS school gets an extra home game (and the associated revenue) and the cash-strapped FCS school gets a nice little payday that may or may not put their athletic department budget in the black.

Penn State has scheduled Eastern Illinois this season and I probably won't bother watching. It will be the first Penn State game I haven't watched in many years.

skinny_uncle
April 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM
My favorite quote from the article:

There’s no excuse for any FBS school to play Indiana State.
xlolx

g-webb1994
April 20th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Apparently the author cared to ignore, if the hack even realizes it, that G-W took Georgia Tech, a much better A-She-She team than NC State, down to the wire in Atlanta last season.

EagleDawg
April 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
gwebb1994 - Tell it brother! NC State has a history of not playing well against supposedly weaker foes early in the season at home over the last several years. If the Dawgs get off to a solid start and go in to Carter-Finley 2-0 watch out, this one could be a surprise. I really like the Dawgs Defensive potential this season. The Offense can move the ball they just need to hold the turnovers down this season and if they do, they gotta a decent shot at a good season. EagleDawg, Jr. is looking forward to that game in particular. His best bud and HS O-line teammate was a big NC State Football Fan...until he signed with North Carolina. The Pack knows how to stink up a good thing even before they take the field.

Go Runnin Bulldogsxnodxxnodxxnodx