PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Slap in the Facebook

turbodean
April 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Facebook muddies college recruiting rules
NCAA struggles to find appropriate balance in an era of social networking and technology

http://www.ecampusnews.com/news/top-news/?i=58217;_hbguid=6d530bb3-eb56-4454-be4e-f53864ec4e28

I know the specific case is bball, but its relevent.

Good luck to the schools trying to police this. Wow, this could get out of hand pretty easily. I feel bad for NC State in this case - caught in the middle.

I'm sure the kids are already taking it further with Twitter and iPhones. Good luck NCAA!

note - if you can't see the entire article click on Print and it will display. It's easier than registering.

Hood
April 15th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Wow what a load of bovine excrement! They're going to punish a school for a Facebook page?

I think the NCAA is overstepping in this instance.

If some random 13 year old makes a facebook page for Recruit 123 to go to XYZ University, they're going to punish the school?

Ivytalk
April 15th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Before you know it, AGS will get a "cease-and-desist" letter from the NCAA.xrolleyesxxsmhx

No more of those recruiting threads!xnonoxxnonoxxrolleyesx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM
There has to be some middle way. I think everyone is fine with some student fan making a Facebook group for free to try to convince a friend to come to school, but I also think nobody is fine with a booster getting paid to create these "groups" either in order to get a recruiting advantage.

Yes, it's hard to police - but that's no reason for folks not to try. It's hard to police enthusiastic boosters, too, from giving athletes "perks" like free housing, cars, girls, etc. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Hoyadestroya85
April 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM
If i was a coach.. i'd encourage kids to get rid of their facebook pages..

Lehigh Football Nation
April 15th, 2009, 09:16 AM

I agree. If I were a coach, I'd say that "it's simply not worth the potential hassle".

89Eagle
April 15th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Very True!! The NCAA has bigger problems to tackle than FB. They seem to concentrate on the smaller violations more so than the bigger issues. I guess the smaller items are easier to track than say money giving. Heck, most of the FCS can't afford to cheat.

Hoyadestroya85
April 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I agree. If I were a coach, I'd say that "it's simply not worth the potential hassle".

think about the offensive lineman at Texas who was thrown off the team for posting some kinda racial comment after obama was elected.. it's just a nuisance.

turbodean
April 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM
There has to be some middle way. I think everyone is fine with some student fan making a Facebook group for free to try to convince a friend to come to school, but I also think nobody is fine with a booster getting paid to create these "groups" either in order to get a recruiting advantage.

Yes, it's hard to police - but that's no reason for folks not to try. It's hard to police enthusiastic boosters, too, from giving athletes "perks" like free housing, cars, girls, etc. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Apparently not everyone is OK with it... the NCAA cracked down on NC State because of the Facebook postings of a North Carolina State freshman

turbodean
April 15th, 2009, 10:59 AM

True enough, but not very realistic. That's like telling a player to not have a cell phone. This is how kids communicate.

Anyway the article is about Facebook activities of fans and recruits, not players. And how would a coach influence a recruits actions on Facebook? Attempting that in itself is problematic.