PDA

View Full Version : 2 NDSU players get DUI's 30 min apart

Grizzaholic
April 14th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Shamen Washington and Jose Mohler, two high-profile players for the North Dakota State football team, were each arrested for driving under the influence about a half hour apart early Sunday morning.

Washington was arrested at 1:27 a.m. on the 200 block of 25th Avenue South in Fargo, according to Fargo police. Less than two miles away, Mohler was pulled over at 2:04 a.m. on the 900 block of Second Avenue North.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/237191/group/home/

89Hen
April 14th, 2009, 09:17 AM
xoopsx I assume they were drinking together?

DLS
April 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
were they at the same party? that sucks.

DUI's hold too harsh of a punishment in my opinion. especially for college students.

Grizzaholic
April 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
xoopsx I assume they were drinking together?

If you actually read the article they were a few blocks apart.

Gil Dobie
April 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Mohler was discussed in the NDSU outlook thread, leaving NDSU with the option of an improved Mertens or some one else stepping up at QB. :(

Thunderstruck84
April 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Mohler has already gotten a MIP as well last fall. Washington received a medical hardship from the NCAA last year so he's a 6th year senior.

This is the 3rd DUI of the spring for an NDSU player and another player was charged with marijuana possession. Coach Bohl is starting to take the hit for this string of behavior so I wouldn't be surprised to see some MAJOR disciplinary action to these two. I could see Jose "Cuervo" getting kicked off the team and a 4 game suspension for Shamen.

At this point if I'm coach Bohl, I'd get the team together and I'd lay down the ultimatum: Keep it on the straight and narrow or you're not playing football for NDSU this year.

Grizzaholic
April 14th, 2009, 09:34 AM
It seems to always come in bunches. Good luck NDSU with this string of problems.

89Hen
April 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM
If you actually read the article they were a few blocks apart.
When they were arrested. The fact that it was at the same time only blocks apart makes me think they were probably together for the drinking portion of the evening. xpeacex

89Hen
April 14th, 2009, 09:38 AM
This is the 3rd DUI of the spring for an NDSU player and another player was charged with marijuana possession.
What else is there to do in ND in March/April? xsmiley_wix

AshevilleApp2
April 14th, 2009, 09:39 AM

DUI's hold too harsh of a punishment in my opinion. especially for college students.

Why should college students get more breaks than other people?

OSBF
April 14th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Ask the friends and family of the Angels pitcher if they feel that way.

Will be interesting to see what the public institutional response to these incidents is.

Thunderstruck84
April 14th, 2009, 09:42 AM
This is true, but when you can get a cab ride anywhere in the city for $3 with a student ID, you've got to be pretty boneheaded to take the chance and get behind the wheel. Considering this is Jose Cuervo's 2nd offense in his first 8 months on campus I say send him back to Cali.

Uncle Buck
April 14th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Really, my wife and i had a discussion the other night that the fines weren't harsh enough. But this isn't the forum to debate it.

What could be debated is how the head coach will handle another indcident involving one or more of his players. I think coach has to drop the hammer and send a clear message.

mebisonII
April 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM
continuing to look rough for the Bison this year....

Bison "FANatic"
April 14th, 2009, 10:58 AM
OK I have my opinion on what the punishment should be and it is a lot harsher on the player with the previous minor in possesion than it is for the first time offender.

My question to you guys though is if this happened at your institution what would the punishments be:

Case 1. MIP last fall and now a DUI with a MIP also.

Case 2. No previous offense but now has a DUI.

What say you all???

Uncle Buck
April 14th, 2009, 11:23 AM
OK I have my opinion on what the punishment should be and it is a lot harsher on the player with the previous minor in possesion than it is for the first time offender.

My question to you guys though is if this happened at your institution what would the punishments be:

Case 1. MIP last fall and now a DUI with a MIP also.

Case 2. No previous offense but now has a DUI.

What say you all???

I think a lot depends on how many incidents a coach is being asked to deal with. If it's an ongoing issue, penalties may have to be stiff on all rule breakers. In this instance:

Case 1: Dismiss from team based on prior offense and new charge

Case 2: Mandatory drug and alcohol counseling, 2 game suspension, complete 100 hours of community service with an organization working with people who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers.

Bill Hanson
April 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Looks to me like them Bison have some problems to work out. KICK THEM ALL off of the team. Clean house now before it gets worse.

NDB
April 14th, 2009, 12:11 PM
NDSU v. Indiana State to decide who wins a game in the MVFC...

JayJ79
April 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM

I have no problem with leniency for things like MIP, or even pot posession, because the only people they are really hurting are themselves.

But DUI's are a whole different issue. You get behind the wheel drunk, and you endanger the lives of others. And that is not right.

89Eagle
April 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Let them run over your child and then tell me that. GROW UP

Gil Dobie
April 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Let them run over your child and then tell me that. GROW UP

Driving after drinking, period, should not be allowed.

There are many people that could have and would have gotten DUI if they had been pulled over. Just because someone get caught, doesn't make it worse than the guy that didn't get caught.

Hansel
April 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM
When they were arrested. The fact that it was at the same time only blocks apart makes me think they were probably together for the drinking portion of the evening. xpeacex

they were actually 2 miles apart- that part of the story is misleading IMO

ncbears
April 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM

I hope you don't mean that.
xnonoxxnonox

igo4uni
April 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM
What is MIP?

FargoBison
April 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
What is MIP?

minor in possession

JackTwice
April 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Minors are Minors. College kids get them at a much higher rate now than they did when I was in school in the late 80's and you can bet they don't drink any more now than we used to. The DUI's are much more troubling and should be dealt with harshly.

RabidRabbit
April 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM

Sandbag!xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
April 15th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Sandbag!xthumbsupx

Beat me to it! Reppies!:D

Gil Dobie
April 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Watch your basketball team in the conference and NCAA tourney, at least that's a couple other things to do with Spring football delayed.

appmaj
April 15th, 2009, 11:10 AM
No taxis in Fargo?

mebisonII
April 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM
No taxis in Fargo?

Yep, $3 anywhere in town with a student ID. That's what makes things like this so ridiculous...pretty easy to avoid getting a DUI.

darell1976
April 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Couldn't NDSU be headed towards NCAA probation if this keeps getting out of hand?? Not good for their 2nd year of D1 eligibility.

SIUallDay
April 15th, 2009, 01:09 PM
DAMN....

appmaj
April 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Yep, $3 anywhere in town with a student ID. That's what makes things like this so ridiculous...pretty easy to avoid getting a DUI.

No excuse then

NDSUFREAK
April 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM
this sucks. get shamen and jose off the team. shamen has been around too long doing nothing

Thunderstruck84
April 15th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I don't think this has been posted on this board yet... but Shamen's mug shot (funny as it may be) isn't going to help him out much:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1882/washingtonshamen.jpg

JayJ79
April 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
did he drop the soap or something?

Uncle Buck
April 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I think it was in response to the guy taking the picture, he looked like this

http://www.wiredvideo.net/images/screen%20grabs/alecwoods.jpg

Gil Dobie
April 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Just sniffing a brew should get Shamen over the limit. What's he weight 145 lbs?

NDSUFREAK
April 15th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Just sniffing a brew should get Shamen over the limit. What's he weight 145 lbs?

5'6 height i believe.

JBB
April 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
NDSU v. Indiana State to decide who wins a game in the MVFC...

More bad luck for NDSU. They are on the road against Indian State this year. xcoolx

JackJD
April 15th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Couldn't NDSU be headed towards NCAA probation if this keeps getting out of hand?? Not good for their 2nd year of D1 eligibility.

Not even close.

Thunderstruck84
April 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I would say that Coach Bohl has dropped the hammer:

QB Troy Jackson - Dismissed from the team (Issues unrelated to his marijuana charge)
QB Jose Mohler - Suspended indefintely (DUI/MIP)
KR/PR Shamen Washington - Suspended indefinitely (DUI)
DE Garret Johnson - Suspended indefinitely (DUI)

That leaves the Bison with Nick Mertens (last year's starter xnonono2x), Andrew Fabry (walk on transfer), and incoming true freshman Brock Jensen at QB.

Come on Threet, Christensen, or Witt xprayx

ASUG8
April 17th, 2009, 01:49 PM

QB Troy Jackson - Dismissed from the team (Issues unrelated to his marijuana charge)

That leaves the Bison with Nick Mertens (last year's starter xnonono2x), Andrew Fabry (walk on transfer), and incoming true freshman Brock Jensen at QB.

He's doing the right thing - it's hard for a coach to suspend key players, but it's necessary. Cudos to Bohl.

darell1976
April 17th, 2009, 02:05 PM
He's doing the right thing - it's hard for a coach to suspend key players, but it's necessary. Cudos to Bohl.

I agree. These kids think college is about drinking and partying well if you play sports you need to be carefull. Its not a free ride, and there are consequences to your actions. Coach Bohl I applaude you.

I-AA Fan
April 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I do not necessarily think penalties are too harsh for DWI. Here are two examples. I will use the same head-coach for each ...Jim Tressel:

1. YSU had an incredible db/cb in the early-to-mid 90's. 3-year all-American. You guys from McNeese will remember him as the person that intercepted you a few time in the 97 title game. He was out after curfew & was involved an accident. I cannot say he was drinking, but it was a serious rules violation. In any case, he injured his lower legs, was out for the entire season, and was never the same. He never made it to the pros. Tressel benched the players for the first three games (2 were not injured, two were injured). These were our best players, we lost one (maybe two) of those games because of that move. Tressel was the AD, he punished them as he felt they deserved. The player made a dumb decision and people were hurt because of it. The other three players were only in violation of curfew.

2. Tressel's first year at Ohio State had starting QB, Bellesarie, arrested for DUI, and he called Tressel first. Tressel went to see him in jail & gave a late night press interview, where he said that Belesarie would not be playing the rest of the season (with only Tressel's first Michigan game and a bowl game remaining). Naturally Tressel was being "in-charge" ...as he was at YSU. Well, being 3am, he did not clear those statements with the university ...it did not go over well at all. Needless to say, Tressel learned a lesson (he was no longer at YSU, where he was the AD and doesnot make the rules at OSU). Belesarie was held out for only the first series of the Michigan game (so Tressel would not lose face), and Belesarie started the bowl game.

The moral of the story is ...it is all in how the school handles these things and if you are needed, you get off. If football is big at your school, you will receive the minimum punishment. DIU is not in the NCAA's jurisdiction.

Thundar
April 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM

darrell I think you should worry about your own team with kids beating up people as you guys are in the TRANSITION, and no way NDSU is close to NCAA probation, this happens at programs, lots of stuff doesn't hit their media like the Forum in Fargo it seems they scan for anything negative. One thing to remember for these 4 incidents there are lots of kids on that team that go out of their way to help people, kids, Volutneer and do many many GOOD things, but you never hear that in the paper! Take our Mens BBALL team for example anybody that paid any attention would notice that Brett Winkleman was truly class act! and you never heard of those 5 seniors in ANY trouble, but you never heard all their positive impacts on the community! I'm happy with the punishments, now its time to get back to football

DuckDuckGriz
April 17th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I will never understand why you'd ever risk losing the chance to get a degree for FREE (or your own life and someone else's behind the wheel)

Best of luck to Bison fans in dealing with this, no program can avoid blemishes.

Bill Hanson
April 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM

HAHAHA.....screw NDSU

ncbears
April 17th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I'm glad NDSU's coach did this, but those players that got DUI's should get kicked off the team.

JackTwice
April 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I'm glad NDSU's coach did this, but those players that got DUI's should get kicked off the team.

I don't know, I mean its not like they stabbed a teammate.

NDSUFREAK
April 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Well like Coach Bohl said, football is a priviledge to play. He wants them to get their life back together first before they even think about playing a sport. Also, it will make them realize how STUPID they were.

Kudos Coach Bohl +++++

JohnStOnge
April 18th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Really, my wife and i had a discussion the other night that the fines weren't harsh enough. But this isn't the forum to debate it..

I started a thread in the political lounge to discuss the political aspects of the situation.

GATA
April 18th, 2009, 06:46 PM
It's North Dakota...what else do the kids do besides drink and tip over cows?

I thought it was just assumed that residents of North Dakota were ALWAYS drunk and any sober moments would be considered an exception.

I know that's how it is in Statesboro...and you know what they say about Statesboro..."it's like a mini version of North Dakota!"

NoCoDanny
April 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Or raped a volleyball player in her dorm room.

GATA
April 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM

Or raped a white girl in a hotel in Colorado.

KOBE!!!

Gil Dobie
April 18th, 2009, 09:18 PM
It's North Dakota...what else do the kids do besides drink and tip over cows?

I thought it was just assumed that residents of North Dakota were ALWAYS drunk and any sober moments would be considered an exception.

I know that's how it is in Statesboro...and you know what they say about Statesboro..."it's like a mini version of North Dakota!"

Go to Minneapolis and watch the Bison basketball team in the NCAA tourney for one..................and drink :D

JackTwice
April 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM

You're right Danny, no one did rape a volleyball player in her dorm room.

ncbears
April 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM
You're right Danny, no one did rape a volleyball player in her dorm room.

Your basketball team had some legal run-in's didn't they???

Thundar
April 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Your basketball team had some legal run-in's didn't they???

Well don't know if they had legal run ins or not, but they did try to start a brawl at the Conference tourny this springxwhistlex

JackTwice
April 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
There were legal issues but all were acquitted.

Thundar, saying the basketball team tried to start a brawl is like saying the entire Bison team drives drunk each weekend.

By the way, I am on the record saying there is no sense making strong accusations about the Bison team based on what has happened this winter/spring. There aren't many programs that are clean so there is no sense casting stones. The Jacks have had some legal issues themselves including a RB getting busted with 14 pounds of pot (I think he was preparing for Cap'n Cat and D1B coming to town) back in our last year of DII.

Thundar
April 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
entire Bison team drives drunk each weekend.

Its starting to sound like they doxeyebrowx

:D

JayJ79
April 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
The Jacks have had some legal issues themselves including a RB getting busted with 14 pounds of pot (I think he was preparing for Cap'n Cat and D1B coming to town) back in our last year of DII.

Personally, I consider pot posession to be a lesser evil than a DUI. (though of course, driving while under the influence of pot is a bigger no-no).

And no, I don't partake of the MJ. (or of the alcohol either, really).

Native
April 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Too bad. Glad they didn't hurt anyone. There but for the Grace of God... :o

Must not be much to do in the northern climes except study or ... drink. xrolleyesx