PDA

View Full Version : Which new/revived program will make the most impact in 5-10 years?

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 14th, 2009, 07:28 AM
UTSA, Charlotte, Lamar, ODU, South Alabama, etc etc?

Monarch Nation
April 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM
My vote is obvious, but I believe homers should back off here and let others give more unbiased opinions.

TexasTerror
April 14th, 2009, 07:37 AM
UTSA, Charlotte, Lamar, ODU, South Alabama, etc etc?

Of the programs, UTSA.

I was leaning them or South Alabama. However, South Alabama is already got a ticket to an FBS conference. UTSA will pretty much have the same path that we've seen from those upstart Florida programs (namely South Florida).

Tribe4SF
April 14th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I'd have to say ODU and Georgia State. Both are off to very good recruiting starts. ODU already has a big fan base, and is doing a good job of netting talent from their home area, as is Georgia State.

89Hen
April 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
ODU

mcveyrl
April 14th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I'd have to say ODU and Georgia State. Both are off to very good recruiting starts. ODU already has a big fan base, and is doing a good job of netting talent from their home area, as is Georgia State.

I would vote ODU for these same reasons.

Appfan_in_CAAland
April 14th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Old Dominion and UTSA will both succeed.

South Alabama will go FBS too soon and get lost in the crowd.
UNC at Charlotte may yet see their football dreams dashed completely.
Downtown Atlanta Business College will be looking for a smaller stadium in 5 years.

JMU Newbill
April 14th, 2009, 09:44 AM
The only way I could argue a school other than ODU will get off to a better/faster start is the fact that ODU is going straight into one beast of a conference. Not exactly that many "easy" games for them to build confidence.

Although, if they start knocking off CAA schools like JMU, UR, W&M, etc... confidence may come sooner than one may think.

Otherwise, ODU has a lot of the makings of what can make a successful FCS school. Great location for recruiting, good fan base, decent facilities, and what seems to be a good recruiting class.

Bring it on ODU.... I grew up 5 minutes from you, but I still will not cheer for you. Go DUKES!

Libertine
April 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'll say Georgia State since their very existence as a program could alter the entire landscape of FCS football.

Lumberjacks76
April 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Lamar gets my vote. They are revved to go.

Paul

BobcatTXST04
April 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
UTSA has San Antonio and south Texas as it's recruiting base. However, they will be competing for recruits alongside us and the newly franchised UIW, also in San Antonio.

UTSA's success depends on how fast they get rolling. If they have a winnig season in the SLC within the first few years, they will be hard to slow down. However, the ultimate fate of that school is still undetermined. San Antonio has only had Division - III Trinity for college football (who has done quite well) so we don't know exactly how having three football schools competing for players will go.

Lamar is in an odd position. On the one hand, they will be able to recruit from Houston and east Texas, but at the same time, Houston already has two FBS football programs within the city. Also to consider is the fact that east Texas is also heavily recruited by schools in Louisiana, such as eventual SLC foes Nichols, SELU, and MSU as well as the UL's and LA Tech.

My 2c.

Grizzaholic
April 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
SUU

MSUBear42
April 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Missouri State....

tw_fatcat
April 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I think UTSA has a shot, but I am not of the opinion that it is an absolute as so many around this area think. For some reason people believe San Antonio gives complete support for local athletics yet right now during baseball season they are sitting in the middle of the conference but dead last attendance.
I think there is a real possibility of that happening with football also. When they bring recruits in to see a game in the 60,000 seat alomodome and there are 8,000 there it won't look good.

lionsrking2
April 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Of the programs, UTSA.

I was leaning them or South Alabama. However, South Alabama is already got a ticket to an FBS conference. UTSA will pretty much have the same path that we've seen from those upstart Florida programs (namely South Florida).

South Alabama gets my vote...they're centrally located in an outstanding recruiting area and have virtually no like FBS competition to their east along I-10 (won't go head-to-head with FSU)...their only real in-state FBS competition is Troy and UAB (Auburn/Bama same as FSU), and they're close enough to New Orleans and south Louisiana to make strong in-roads in the Bayou State...could very easily follow a similar path as Florida Atlantic.

I don't see UTSA becoming a South Florida or UCF...they're more likely to become an FIU in my opinion.

JDC325
April 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately Ga State....xoopsx To much talent within a 30 radius.

igo4uni
April 17th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Missouri State....

Do they still have a program in Springfield??xcoolxxcoolx

mainejeff
April 17th, 2009, 11:17 PM
ODU.

coover
April 18th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I'd like to say CS Fullerton, CS Long Beach, and CS Northridge. I'd really like to say that, but I don't believe that any of these three schools, which should have the ability to field fine Football programs, will return to the gridiron for a very long time.

But keep up the good work, Fullerton. I do believe you have the best chance of the three.

Monarch History
April 18th, 2009, 10:30 AM
As eight other posts alluded; my vote goes to Old Dominion University.

Retro
April 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
USA for sure! Already have a great stadium, great recruiting area, coach with lot's of connections throughout alabama and no real Div I competition within 2 hours.

bkrownd
April 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'd look to the quality of the coaching staffs to judge likely success.

FullertonTitanTexan44
April 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I think...

Georgia State - They will be the strongest team b/c of their talent pool and the size of the school/support.

UTSA- Will be a blueprint for start up programs that want to enter into the FBS.. However, I don't see them being a 'powerhouse' program. They will be medicore in the FCS and even worst in the FBS.

ODU- Will be a strong program for FCS.

Lamar - Will be a below average team in the FCS. There is no excitement for them. However, they will give some of the financially strapped teams in region a team to schedule.

Cal State Fullerton- Ofcourse i'm biased, but if they get their program up and running, they will spark alot of west coast 'cal state' schools to attempt to bring back their program. However, that is a major if and there is still some unresolved issues.

Husky Alum
April 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM
ODU, no doubt in my mind.

93henfan
April 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM
ODU

........."