PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Outlook

Bison101
April 13th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I'd like to see where other schools think NDSU will end up in the rankings next year. Any thoughts?

Please limit smack...

JSUBison
April 13th, 2009, 06:47 PM
At the end of season, I predict somewhere between 30-35.

ValleyChamp
April 13th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Someplace in between 3rd and 5th in the MVFC.

TCisMYhero
April 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Bad.xlolx

JBB
April 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Bison fans need to get ready for a real bad year. We have off the field troubles with a back up QB and a starting WR/return man, we have had no spring practice, we were shaky last year and really did nothing to improve our situation. This was looking like a classic rebuilding year. I hope NDSU stays competitive.

Gil Dobie
April 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I'm hoping for 6 wins, but 3-4 wins and no ranking is more realistic. :(

slostang
April 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Wow. From what I had seen of the Bison during their time in the Great West I would have thought that they would be consistantly good and sometimes great as long as Bohl was the head coach. What happened?

da_Bison
April 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
All we need is a QB and we will contend. If Mertens played like last year (horse shiii)and thats an understatement, we still get 6 wins, we get a transfer that can play and were in the playoffs no problem.

da_Bison
April 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Wow. From what I had seen of the Bison during their time in the Great West I would have thought that they would be consistantly good and sometimes great as long as Bohl was the head coach. What happened?

Thats what no dept at QB will do, Mertens had a terrible year. 5 picks against UNI for example and we still only lost by 10. had we had a average QB last year we finish 10-1 ,9-2 worse case. Goes to show how important good QB play is.

JBB
April 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Thats what no dept at QB will do, Mertens had a terrible year. 5 picks against UNI for example and we still only lost by 10. had we had a average QB last year we finish 10-1 ,9-2 worse case. Goes to show how important good QB play is.

With Mohler now in trouble for a DUI we have nobody at QB except Mertens and I dont expect great things from him.

da_Bison
April 13th, 2009, 08:19 PM
With Mohler now in trouble for a DUI we have nobody at QB except Mertens and I dont expect great things from him.

I hear ya, we desperately need a transfer.

Gil Dobie
April 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM

Like others have said, QB, QB and QB. We need an improved Mertens or someone else to step up.

TCisMYhero
April 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM

Most delusional fans in FCS come from the frozen tundra of Fargo!

ValleyChamp
April 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I hear ya, we desperately need a transfer.

The fact that many Bison fans are hoping for a transfer tells the whole story. You can't tell me that you will win 3 games with your QB, but will win 9 or 10 games with a transfer. One player isn't going to make or break a season. Transfer or not, they probably will not contend.

ValleyChamp
April 13th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Huh? I hope you were kidding. The Bison were soundly beaten last year quite a few times.

With or without a different QB, NDSU was not going to win that game last year at UNI. UNI physically dominated that game, and anybody that watched it would agree. The final score did not tell the story of that game.

da_Bison
April 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Huh? I hope you were kidding. The Bison were soundly beaten last year quite a few times.

With or without a different QB, NDSU was not going to win that game last year at UNI. UNI physically dominated that game, and anybody that watched it would agree. The final score did not tell the story of that game.

UNI did dominate and it could have been a very embarrassing loss, but that is probably the only game we wouldn't have won regardless, but Wyoming, Youngstown, Western Ill, and SDSU were definately winnable. SDSU and Wyoming both won in the final seconds Western blocked and returned punt, Youngstown Mertens throws pick in end zone in final seconds. How is that delusional?

da_Bison
April 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM

I honestly think those ugly ass white socks we wore was the real reason we got beat. haha ;)

Thunderstruck84
April 14th, 2009, 08:29 AM

Once... and that was at UNI. As much as the penchant here has been to rag on the Bison last year, they played themselves out of a bunch of close games they could've won... but that's how it goes, doesn't make a difference in the end.

This year's team could finish all over the board, there are so many young players and players with a lot ***cough*** Mertens ***cough*** of room for improvement. There's a lot of raw talent, trying to predict it at this point would be pointless so I'll say anywhere from 3-9 wins :D.

Gil Dobie
April 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM
The fact that many Bison fans are hoping for a transfer tells the whole story. You can't tell me that you will win 3 games with your QB, but will win 9 or 10 games with a transfer. One player isn't going to make or break a season. Transfer or not, they probably will not contend.

My post said 3-4 games to 6 games. xrulesx

Gil Dobie
April 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Once... and that was at UNI. As much as the penchant here has been to rag on the Bison last year, they played themselves out of a bunch of close games they could've won... but that's how it goes, doesn't make a difference in the end.

This year's team could finish all over the board, there are so many young players and players with a lot ***cough*** Mertens ***cough*** of room for improvement. There's a lot of raw talent, trying to predict it at this point would be pointless so I'll say anywhere from 3-9 wins :D.

Me thinks the UNI fans might have taken the arrogance flag from NDSU this year. xoopsx

ValleyChamp
April 14th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Me thinks the UNI fans might have taken the arrogance flag from NDSU this year. xoopsx

That may be. But at least it would be somewhat substanciated.xcoolx

BTW, what is this talk of legal trouble for NDSU players? I never heard anything.

NDB
April 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
DUI for up-and-coming QB and our superstar kick return guy.

JSUBison
April 14th, 2009, 01:28 PM
That may be. But at least it would be somewhat substanciated.xcoolx

BTW, what is this talk of legal trouble for NDSU players? I never heard anything.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16429

Bison101
April 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM

So you're saying that a star QB CANNOT change a season?

Hmmmm...... look at Indiana State Basketball way back when. The only reason they advanced to the NATIONAL TITLE was because of ONE player. Larry Byrd.

A talented individual, especially at QB can certainly change things.

da_Bison
April 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Hmmmm...... look at Indiana State Basketball way back when. The only reason they advanced to the NATIONAL TITLE was because of ONE player. Larry Byrd.

Absolutely, we wouldn't have been nearly as good without Walker in 06 and 07, and I highly doubt App St wins 3 NC's without Edwards. What would the Broncos have won without Elway. Anyone STUPID enough to say 1 player "QB" wouldn't make that big of a difference doesn't know the game very well and more than likely never played the game. A suck a** QB puts a ton more on his team not to mention the mental edge. When we had Walker the team knew they could always win regardless of the score. A team has to have trust in there leader!!

bisonguy
April 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM

It's pretty difficult to have a star QB change a season if the OL and LB (sans Ramon Humber) suck as bad at times as they did last year. xcoffeex

igo4uni
April 14th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I just hope NDSU beats the hapless Iowa State Cyclowns in Ames!!

FargoBison
April 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
It's pretty difficult to have a star QB change a season if the OL and LB (sans Ramon Humber) suck as bad at times as they did last year. xcoffeex

Don't be letting our WRs off the hook, sans Heckendorf of course.

bisonguy
April 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Don't be letting our WRs off the hook, sans Heckendorf of course.

Good grief, how could I have possibly overlooked all the dropped passes last year?

NDSU needs a heck of a lot more than a change at QB to better their record over last season.

FargoBison
April 14th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Good grief, how could I have possibly overlooked all the dropped passes last year?

NDSU needs a heck of a lot more than a change at QB to better their record over last season.

I think our LBs will improve(as long as they stay healthy) but the lack of depth on the OL and the loss of our only consistent WR probably worries me more than whoever is the QB.

da_Bison
April 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM

I'm not sure if you get it or not, but terrible QB play will demoralize a team and they will play down knowing they don't have a great leader they can count on.

bisonguy
April 14th, 2009, 10:13 PM
A lack of a great QB makes them forget fundamentals, such as actually catching the ball before it hits them in the numbers?

A lack of a great QB makes everyone on the D try to arm tackle and look like a bunch of 6th graders going up against an NFL backfield against YSU?

A lack of a great QB makes the FG kicker miss routine FG's?

You're putting too much blame on someone who still was actually trying to win, and not enough blame on those that gave up. If anything, Roehl should have been that 'great leader', but even the OL gave up on him plenty of times.

FargoBison
April 14th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure if you get it or not, but terrible QB play will demoralize a team and they will play down knowing they don't have a great leader they can count on.

Poor OL and WR play will demoralize a QB. I don't even know if the OL or WRs came out of the locker room for the second half of the Wyoming game.

It was all downhill after that. The big story of last year was not getting enough production on 1st or 2nd down or getting penalties at the worst times. In the west coast you need to get to third and manageable or your offense is terribly inconsistent.

achrist70
April 14th, 2009, 10:39 PM
This thread was supposed to be for people from other teams, yet other than one Cal-Poly post all posts have been from NDSU or UNI.

But anyway I think that the Bison have a chance to have a good program for years to come, I just think that they have found out that the FCS might not be as willing to hand over titles to them as they thought it would becoming playoff eligible last year.

Gil Dobie
April 15th, 2009, 09:27 AM
This thread was supposed to be for people from other teams, yet other than one Cal-Poly post all posts have been from NDSU or UNI.

But anyway I think that the Bison have a chance to have a good program for years to come, I just think that they have found out that the FCS might not be as willing to hand over titles to them as they thought it would becoming playoff eligible last year.

Nobody expected anybody to hand NDSU titles, and nobody said the MVFC would be easy. There was a lot of enthusiasm for the Bison program because they had one of their best teams ever in 2007, having a 1 loss season and 2 FBS wins. I always liked UNI, but some of the fans doing the kicking you when your down thing, are getting pathetic. :(

mmiller_34
April 15th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Larry Byrd does not apply here...Basketball can easily become a one-man sport.

Football, not so much. xtwocentsx

ValleyChamp
April 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Larry Byrd does not apply here...Basketball can easily become a one-man sport.

Football, not so much. xtwocentsx

I agree. Its totally different.

darell1976
April 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I predict NDSU 4-6. Their offseason antics are going to hurt them. Plus it doesn't help to have their first home game in October (UND has that scheduling problem too.)

TCisMYhero
April 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Nobody expected anybody to hand NDSU titles, and nobody said the MVFC would be easy. There was a lot of enthusiasm for the Bison program because they had one of their best teams ever in 2007, having a 1 loss season and 2 FBS wins. I always liked UNI, but some of the fans doing the kicking you when your down thing, are getting pathetic. :(

Oh, you're not letting a little friendly razzing get you down are you? Buck up, 2010-2011 is almost here. At least you're better off than the Cubs!xlolx

Gil Dobie
April 15th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Oh, you're not letting a little friendly razzing get you down are you? Buck up, 2010-2011 is almost here. At least you're better off than the Cubs!xlolx

Iowa Cubs?

Gil Dobie
April 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Posted on the Bison Media Blog.

Area Voices Link (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/)

The column last Saturday dealt with the flood problems of NDSU football this spring and how it may or may not affect next fall's record. It also pointed out that talent alone does not make or break a football team and that several other factors play into it.

I said I couldn't put a single finger on why last year's team, perhaps the most talented under Craig Bohl, finished 6-5. More pro scouts came to NDSU's Pro Day in March than in recent years and the reason was because the Bison probably had more pro prospects than usual.

Maybe the answer to 6-5 is right in front of our face today. That players continually risk their game days and scholarships is baffling and you can make the argument that their dedication is in question. The athletic director called their actions "selfish" and says they are not getting the message.

Bison101
April 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I predict NDSU 4-6. Their offseason antics are going to hurt them. Plus it doesn't help to have their first home game in October (UND has that scheduling problem too.)

Can't wait to see how UND does.....xlolx

TheBisonator
April 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM

The sad part is that NDSU and UND may end up with identical 4-7 records this season...xeekx

achrist70
April 15th, 2009, 10:34 PM

I wasn't trying to kick you while you were down, I was just saying as you seem to know it takes more than your name to win football games. There were many people who thought that NDSU would have teams stepping aside for them.

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Our season is different from yours for one reason...playoffs!!!!;)

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
The sad part is that NDSU and UND may end up with identical 4-7 records this season...xeekx Why do you think UND will win only 4 games. Please share the UND scouting report with the rest of the AGS fans.xconfusedx

@Texas Tech
@NWSt
@ SFA
vs USD
vs Stony Brook
vs Sioux Falls
@ S. Utah
vs Cal-Poly
vs S. Oregon
@UC-Davis
@Cent. Ark

Ronbo
April 16th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I see 6 wins without breaking a sweat. I think UND will go 8-3.

Gil Dobie
April 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Why do you think UND will win only 4 games. Please share the UND scouting report with the rest of the AGS fans.xconfusedx

@Texas Tech
@NWSt
@ SFA
vs USD
vs Stony Brook
vs Sioux Falls
@ S. Utah
vs Cal-Poly
vs S. Oregon
@UC-Davis
@Cent. Ark

Worst case 4 wins, best case 10 wins.

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Worst case 4 wins, best case 10 wins.

10 wins...does that include Texas Tech. xlolx If we lose by less than 21 that should count as a win. Just add an astrik. xlolxxlolx

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I see 6 wins without breaking a sweat. I think UND will go 8-3.

I see UND going 6-5. I think a win against either SFA or NW St. then i see UND winning 4 out of 5 home games then a win at S. Utah (Payback for last year).

Gil Dobie
April 16th, 2009, 08:58 AM
10 wins...does that include Texas Tech. xlolx If we lose by less than 21 that should count as a win. Just add an astrik. xlolxxlolx

.........and take off Sioux Falls or S Oregon from the win list.....xoopsx ;)

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM
.........and take off Sioux Falls or S Oregon from the win list.....xoopsx ;)

I would rather the Sioux play 10 games instead of playing Sioux Falls. 2012 can't come soon enough...then the AD can get serious when it comes to scheduling.

TheBisonator
April 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM

You're eligible for the playoffs this year??xeekx What parallel universe did I just enter??

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM
You're eligible for the playoffs this year??xeekx What parallel universe did I just enter?? Dude you need to leave the crack alone.

darell1976
April 16th, 2009, 06:52 PM
You're eligible for the playoffs this year??xeekx What parallel universe did I just enter??

xconfusedx

TheBisonator
April 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
xconfusedx

Sigh... Yep, you went to UND, all right... Went right over your head.

Now I'll be like Jim Mora and go "PLAYOFFS???!!!... PLAYOFFS???!!!"

LakesBison
April 21st, 2009, 10:56 PM
2012 and NDSU better not schedule them!!

with all the crap with the tribes, and what ralph said about the indians...WE WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM!!!

NDSU will be solid this year, NICK will bounce back at QB.

Great Depth at RB. Pat Paschall, DJ Mcnortan, Pete Blincoe, Voitlander

WR's are HUGE, big transfer from Central Florida.

Secondary is VERY SOLID.

so everything in between is what counts!

Gil Dobie
April 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
NDSU will be solid this year, NICK will bounce back at QB.

Great Depth at RB. Pat Paschall, DJ Mcnortan, Pete Blincoe, Voitlander

WR's are HUGE, big transfer from Central Florida.

Secondary is VERY SOLID.

so everything in between is what counts!

I hope you are right Lakes xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
April 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM

Talk about delusional what are you smoking?

RabidRabbit
April 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Based on reading the Bisonville threads, it sounds like NDSU will be less talented this year than last year. IMHO, they will have a tougher time on d, their offense is led by a questionable quality QB, and there is likely to be no experienced/talented back-up for Merten. The running game nor passing game improve.

Their home games are:

Wagner
UNI
YSU
Mo St
In St.

Road games -

IA St
SHSU
Il St
SIU
SDSU
WIU

UNI, IMHO has to be the preseason favorite in the MVFC. plus the Panthers are used to playing in a dome, so FargoDome will be less intimidating than to the other 3 MVFC opponents. WIU & NDSU are about equal in losses and opportunities for a win. SIU is a TOUGH place to pull a win. Coughlin has been the BANE of the Bison since moving up, and the Jacks are poised to be challenging UNI/SIU for the MVFC this year.

5-6 or 6-5 for the Bison this year.

Houndawg
April 22nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
NDSU will finish middle of the pack, and get upset by Missouri State, making up for their upset win against YSU.

SDSU will be the team that exceeds expectations and has a chance to pick off SIU at home.

Going in it's between SIU/UNI, with the next level being SDSU and then NDSU/WIU/MoSt/YSU/IlSU.xnodx

Defending league champ SIU repeats in an MVC that will be up from last year.

Gil Dobie
April 22nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Based on reading the Bisonville threads, it sounds like NDSU will be less talented this year than last year. IMHO, they will have a tougher time on d, their offense is led by a questionable quality QB, and there is likely to be no experienced/talented back-up for Merten. The running game nor passing game improve.

I wouldn't say the talent is less than last year, who knows what another year of experience, and some playing time will bring. Lets just hope they show more heart than last year. Prior to the SDSU game, the players looked kind of ho hum in warmups compared to previous years.

ValleyChamp
April 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM

Their home games are:

Wagner
UNI
YSU
Mo St
In St.

Road games -

IA St
SHSU
Il St
SIU
SDSU
WIU

UNI, IMHO has to be the preseason favorite in the MVFC. plus the Panthers are used to playing in a dome, so FargoDome will be less intimidating than to the other 3 MVFC opponents. WIU & NDSU are about equal in losses and opportunities for a win. SIU is a TOUGH place to pull a win. Coughlin has been the BANE of the Bison since moving up, and the Jacks are poised to be challenging UNI/SIU for the MVFC this year.

5-6 or 6-5 for the Bison this year.

Personally, I don't see WIU having any chance to win this year. Last season, they relied too heavily on Donaldson, and even that cost them agains the good teams. They don't have him coming back this year, and they were not able to throw the ball at all last season.

Also, I'm not saying that SDSU is not a good team, but how do you think they will perform next year without the veteran QB that they relied on last year? I think SDSU's chances weight on how well the new QB steps in.

As I see it, SIU and UNI are clearly better than the rest at this point. I think there will be one more team that will have a good year and finish in the top three and possibly upset UNI or SIU, but I don't know who that would be at this point. I think SDSU is probably the best answer.

NDB
April 22nd, 2009, 02:41 PM
I was wondering the same thing about donaldson.

NDSU was a couple of good plays (or foregone bad ones) from having a much better record.

But it seems like we graduate everybody.

It's one game at a time.

FargoBison
April 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
NDSU does have a bunch of new players this year as well as a new OC and DC. Which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

About only sure thing is NDSU's defense. Lots of talent and experience on that side of the ball, D-line could be really good and that is the most important unit in the Tampa 2 scheme.

BearsCountry
April 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
I think there will be one more team that will have a good year and finish in the top three and possibly upset UNI or SIU, but I don't know who that would be at this point.

Missouri State

ValleyChamp
April 22nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Missouri State

Sarcasm noted.

Or at least, I hope sarcasm was intended...xcoffeex

RabidRabbit
April 23rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Personally, I don't see WIU having any chance to win this year. Last season, they relied too heavily on Donaldson, and even that cost them agains the good teams. They don't have him coming back this year, and they were not able to throw the ball at all last season.

Also, I'm not saying that SDSU is not a good team, but how do you think they will perform next year without the veteran QB that they relied on last year? I think SDSU's chances weight on how well the new QB steps in.

As I see it, SIU and UNI are clearly better than the rest at this point. I think there will be one more team that will have a good year and finish in the top three and possibly upset UNI or SIU, but I don't know who that would be at this point. I think SDSU is probably the best answer.

SDSU has 6, IIRC, QB's in for fall, with 4 of those with D-I games under their belts. Yes, losing Ryan Berry will be tough to match. But, I like the competition that's underway to replace him. Other than Ryan, and speedster, JaRon Harris, Jacks are bringing back one of the most solid teams ever. This year, Jacks are hosting UNI, SIU and NDSU, GA Southern. I see the MVFC being UNI, SDSU and SIU being the top teams this year, and SDSU is the only one to have the other two at home this year.

IMHO, SDSU will NOT be lower than 7-4 this year, and has probably the best schedule to have 7 or more D-I win (possibly NDSU is "better chance") of the MVFC.

mmiller_34
April 25th, 2009, 01:11 AM

couldnt have said it better, it will be an interesting year. xthumbsupx

Thunderstruck84
April 25th, 2009, 03:15 AM
SDSU has 6, IIRC, QB's in for fall, with 4 of those with D-I games under their belts. Yes, losing Ryan Berry will be tough to match. But, I like the competition that's underway to replace him. Other than Ryan, and speedster, JaRon Harris, Jacks are bringing back one of the most solid teams ever. This year, Jacks are hosting UNI, SIU and NDSU, GA Southern. I see the MVFC being UNI, SDSU and SIU being the top teams this year, and SDSU is the only one to have the other two at home this year.

IMHO, SDSU will NOT be lower than 7-4 this year, and has probably the best schedule to have 7 or more D-I win (possibly NDSU is "better chance") of the MVFC.
Careful. I know NDSU fans and I'm guessing SDSU fans have learned that expecting to contend in the MVFC with a new QB is nothing to be sure about. Good luck though, I'll be rooting for the bunnies 10 times this season.

JackTwice
April 25th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I've been around NDSU way too long to expect a poor season out of them. When they hit 5 losses that's when I'll start to believe its possible. No matter who they put out there, with the offseason they have had Bohl will have them wrapped up in an us against the world mentality.