PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 for Payton

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Sports Network Announces Walter Payton Award Finalists

Sports Network, Matt Dougherty

Hartigan, Meyer and Santos named top-3 Walter Payton Award finalists

Philadelphia, PA -- Brown running back Nick Hartigan, Eastern Washington quarterback Erik Meyer and New Hampshire quarterback Ricky Santos have been selected as the top three finalists for the 2005 Walter Payton Award, which will be presented at the 19th Annual I-AA College Football Awards in Chattanooga, TN, on Dec. 15th. More than 110 ballots were cast for the Payton, which goes to I-AA’s top player, as well as for the Buck Buchanan Award (I-AA defensive player of the year) and Eddie Robinson Award (I-AA Coach of the Year). Winners of the Buchanan and Robinson will also be announced on Dec. 15th, and the voting breakdown for those awards will not be revealed until that time.

2005 WALTER PAYTON AWARD VOTING

2005 WALTER PAYTON AWARD VOTING
NAME (SCHOOL) 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
Nick Hartigan (Brown) ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ???
Erik Meyer (Eastern Washington) ?? ?? ?? ?? ???
Ricky Santos (New Hampshire) ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ???
Bruce Eugene (Grambling State) 16 12 13 10 10 197
Barrick Nealy (Texas State) 6 5 10 6 8 100
Richie Williams (Appalachian State) 5 6 11 3 11 99
David Ball (New Hampshire) 1 4 7 17 8 84
Joe Rubin (Portland State) 0 5 9 8 7 70
Travis Lulay (Montana State) 4 3 4 8 5 65
Laurent Robinson (Illinois State) 1 2 6 4 4 43
Jermaine Austin (Georgia Southern) 1 5 0 3 7 38
Joel Sambursky (Southern Illinois) 1 4 2 4 3 38
Steve Silva (Holy Cross) 1 2 4 1 9 36
Ingle Martin (Furman) 2 3 1 1 3 30
Omar Cuff (Delaware) 0 1 3 3 2 21
Lex Hilliard (Montana) 0 0 0 1 2 4
*Josh Johnson (San Diego) 0 0 0 1 0 2
*Eric Kimble (Eastern Washington) 0 0 0 0 1 1
*Scott Phaydavong (Drake) 0 0 0 0 1 1
*- write-in candidate

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN3991573.htm

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM
*Josh Johnson (San Diego) 0 0 0 1 0 2
*Scott Phaydavong (Drake) 0 0 0 0 1 1
*- write-in candidate

Ok, who's writing these guys in????

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Ok, who's writing these guys in????

Some fellas from the mid-major voting contigent of course!

TypicalTribe
November 28th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I'll cast a vote hoping that Hartigan wins it. Led his team to their first outright Ivy title en route to a 9-1 record. Also, the kid is a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship. Couldn't pick a better individual to win the award.

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Judging by the results, Meyer is going to win it. Hartigan is from the Ivy League, which will hurt his chances in my opinion. Santos' primary target received a decent amount of votes himself, thus most likely taking away potential votes from Santos. Meyer's main man Kimble got 1 write-in vote, thus not splitting up the vote. While Santos has the "east coast bias" advantage over Meyer, I think that two finalists from the same school hurt his chances. However, don't rule Santos out, as he did quarterback clearly the best team during the regular season.

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Judging by the results, Meyer is going to win it. Hartigan is from the Ivy League, which will hurt his chances in my opinion. Santos' primary target received a decent amount of votes himself, thus most likely taking away potential votes from Santos. Meyer's main man Kimble got 1 write-in vote, thus not splitting up the vote. While Santos has the "east coast bias" advantage over Meyer, I think that two finalists from the same school hurt his chances. However, don't rule Santos out, as he did quarterback clearly the best team during the regular season.

Ball had 1 first place vote so he didnt take any voters away from Santos.

TigerFan17
November 28th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Wow...Rhodes Scholar and Payton Award winner...thats not a bad resume! :nod:

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Ball had 1 first place vote so he didnt take any voters away from Santos.

You don't win simply due to the number of first place votes you receive. You win due to your total "vote score". Ball had 84 points, many of which may have gone to Santos rather than himself. Think about it... :nod:

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 02:28 PM
You don't win simply due to the number of first place votes you receive. You win due to your total "vote score". Ball had 84 points, many of which may have gone to Santos rather than himself. Think about it... :nod:

IM NOT AN IDIOT. my point is theres plenty of first place votes left and that u cant suggest Ball took votes from Santos because every ballot but 1 can have santos ahead of Ball because Ball only had 1 first place vote.

R.A.
November 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Bruce Eugene got dycked.

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Bruce Eugene got dycked.

He's good, but he plays for the wrong team against the wrong opponents. Playing a schedule full of DII and III caliber teams is tough to compare to playing in the Gateway, Southland, BSC, or A10.

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Heres some numbers. 239 votes are so far unaccounted for of a possible 330 the 3 could get combined meaning 91 ballots didnt contain a vote for one these three players. (not saying it was all one player, it could be evenmly broke down) But in my opinion I would guess Hartigan is the one lacking the most total votes which would place him at a disadvantage and probable third place finish.

That leaves Santos and Meyer.

of the available votes theres 72 1st. 58 2nd, 40 3rd, 40 4th and 29 5th

I can see it being a very close vote with Meyer and Santos.

I couldnt even beging to try to determine who would win because i dont know the break down of the regions where the 110 voters are from.

My prediction though is santos by about 20 total points.

colgate13
November 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Santos, Santos, Santos...

bcrawf
November 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Meyer, I think he is the best player but also he is a senior which right or wrong gives him the advantage over the Soph.

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Meyer, I think he is the best player but also he is a senior which right or wrong gives him the advantage over the Soph.

I thought Adrian Peterson won it as a sophomore (at least an underclassmen as he was later beat out by Westbrook in a following year) so there's not always a prejudice against underclassmen.

umassfan
November 28th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Bruce Eugene got dycked.
He needs to find a diet!

bluehenbillk
November 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Santos should win going away.

After watching both guys play on Saturday, the QB from Texas St is light years better than Eugene.

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Meyer, I think he is the best player

Facts prove otherwise.

Player.............com....att....pct....yards..... Rating.....TD.....INT.....Sack
Meyer.............269....411...65.5....4003......1 68.9.....30......5.........49
Santos............274....387...70.8....3452......1 71.8.....36.....9..........21

Player..............Rush.......yards.........TD
Meyer...............92..........221............2
Santos..............98..........399............8

Meyer left 5 games before they were finished 2 of them he was still playing late third quarter

Santos left 8 games, 3 of which he never played in 2nd half and another 2 he played 1 series in the second half.

Santos has the advantage in every category except yards which he easily could have if he played as much in the games as Meyer, and Santos leads in a category not shown here WINS

bcrawf
November 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Stats do not tell the whole story, as the old addage goes "the game is not won on paper" If you use your stats criteria then Troy Davis from Iowa State would have 2 Heismans and no 2000 yard rusher would ever be denied.

Santos also had a better team around him. I have seen both play and I honestly feel Meyer is the better player.

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Santos also had a better team around him. I have seen both play and I honestly feel Meyer is the better player.

Quick, name somebody else on UNH's team other than Santos or Ball. I can't do it either, and I follow the A10. UNH isn't a juggernaut and they aren't awash in team talent - those two guys are really, really good.

walliver
November 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I thought Richie Williams was a shoo-in for the top three. Must be a case of North Coast Bias.

crunifan
November 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I want to see Meyers take it. After seeing him play last weekend I gained huge amounts of respect for that kid and Eastern Washington. Meyers is a stud with a great arm and tons of talent, he deserves it!

R.A.
November 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Santos should win going away.

After watching both guys play on Saturday, the QB from Texas St is light years better than Eugene.

-Now that QB from Texas State is a monster.

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 04:05 PM
-Now that QB from Texas State is a monster.

No kidding! That second half he had was AMAZING! :hurray: :rotateh:

mainejeff
November 28th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Santos will win it.

A 10-1 record and #1 ranking trumps a 7-4 record backing into the playoffs.

UNH_ORACLE
November 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Meyer's photo with the moustache is hilarious, he wins it by a hair...

DinoDex200
November 28th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I thought Richie Williams was a shoo-in for the top three. Must be a case of North Coast Bias.

I love Richie, but you could argue that he's the same player as Nealy from Tx St. They even finished one vote apart from each other in the voting!

Richie's number's aren't as eye popping as last year...but he was a better leader. I'll take that any day...

ngineer
November 28th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Hartigan's the man. The epitome of a tremendous athlete, student and person.

igo4uni
November 28th, 2005, 05:41 PM
I'm not familiar with Hartigan and have only seen Santos on tv.
I was very, very impressed with Meyer when he was in the fabulous UNI-Dome last Saturday. When EWU got the ball back with 55 seconds on the clock, I was really worried that he was going to lead them down the field for a td. He picked apart the UNI defense all night long. He is one of the best qb's I've ever seen come to Cedar Falls.

peace

igo4uni

eagle1
November 28th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I think Erik Meyer should win it based on his stats over the past couple of years. He was #4 in the balloting last year and followed it up with a solid Senior season. Do not penalize the man just because his team was knocked out of the playoffs. Santos has two more years and will be the favorite next year just like Meyer was this year. Go Eagles!!!

LBPop
November 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Hartigan's the man. The epitome of a tremendous athlete, student and person.

I have some indirect insight into Hartigan and his family through a mutual friend. Apparently Nick is exactly as advertised--a smart, talented, high character young man. His kid brother plays for Georgetown, but I'm afraid that he doesn't quite match up to Nick athletically. Whether or not Nick wins the Payton or gets the Rhodes scholarship, he has had a phenomenal college career. All I-AA programs can be proud.

blackfordpu
November 28th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I'm suprised that no Tx State fans have chimed in on behalf of Nealy.

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2005, 06:03 PM
I'm suprised that no Tx State fans have chimed in on behalf of Nealy.

They are all checking on Nealy's health. He's walking around on a crutch and is likely to play on Saturday, but I'm sure many Bobcats are saying their prayers. It'll be a tougher road for the Cats without Nealy...

dwtime
November 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM
They are all checking on Nealy's health. He's walking around on a crutch and is likely to play on Saturday, but I'm sure many Bobcats are saying their prayers. It'll be a tougher road for the Cats without Nealy...

Yeah he looked a bit hobbled on Saturday after that one play near the end. Hope he gets better, never want to see a top player or any player hurt.

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 06:16 PM

He's probably worth at least a couple of touchdowns to TXSU. Without him, Cal Poly will be going to the semifinals... :eek:

SwoopEWU
November 28th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Facts prove otherwise.

Player.............com....att....pct....yards..... Rating.....TD.....INT.....Sack
Meyer.............269....411...65.5....4003......1 68.9.....30......5.........49
Santos............274....387...70.8....3452......1 71.8.....36.....9..........21

Meyer left 5 games before they were finished 2 of them he was still playing late third quarter

Santos left 8 games, 3 of which he never played in 2nd half and another 2 he played 1 series in the second half.

Santos has the advantage in every category except yards which he easily could have if he played as much in the games as Meyer, and Santos leads in a category not shown here WINS

Lovely stats...Youre right they do prove something, I would have liked to see how santos responded being sacked 28 more times for the 49 total that Meyer was. Thats 28 more chances for injuries such as concussions which meyer suffered 2 of this year. Also you think that being brought down for negative that many times affected his rushing stats, i think so. E. Meyer did all of his damage behind an all sophmore line not to mention finishing out the year with a third stringer as center.. Meyer is a great scrambler but does not does not look as good on paper because he was sacked so many times this year. Dont get me wrong though both are amazing qb's, Meyer will win though. He almost won it this last year only 4th behind 3 seniors so i think they will go his way this year and Santos will come in as the favorite next year.

ngineer
November 28th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I think Erik Meyer should win it based on his stats over the past couple of years. He was #4 in the balloting last year and followed it up with a solid Senior season. Do not penalize the man just because his team was knocked out of the playoffs. Santos has two more years and will be the favorite next year just like Meyer was this year. Go Eagles!!!

Agreed, BUT I think the award is for the ENTIRE season, not just a great finish. Unfortunately, Hartigan did not get the exposure of Meyers or Santos, but in terms of an entire year's portfolio he not only put up amazing numbers, he was a winner together with the other qualities previously mentioned. Meyers' team had a 7-4 record, a team projected by many to 'win it all' this year. While it is a team game, and no one should be penalized for being on an underachieving team, his performance is some of the earlier season games was part of the underachievement.. Hartigan, OTOH was on a team that was a dark horse in the Ivy. They lost the opener to the defending champ in OT, and then went on a tear to run the table, carrying the team on his back and when every opponent knew he was coming at them. As for Santos, I don't disagree he is a tremendous talent. I saw him for the first time Saturday. In a tie, the senior gets it. Ricky has two more years to go.

Chi Panther
November 28th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Santos is the Best Player Most likely on the the Best team....only being a soph is extremely impressive....

Meyer....is really talented....

Williams will most likely be an NFL WR.....6'3" and 190.....

Nealy is the Real NFL prospect......aka Air McNair.....at 6'3" and 230....

:twocents:

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 28th, 2005, 08:14 PM
http://www.abcsportsallamerica.com/candidate.cfm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...r-of-week_x.htm

UNHknowledge
November 28th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Meyer is going to win. He is very good and deserves the award (should have success in the NFL). Santos doesn't have a chance to win becuase of his age. I have to say though...if the award was flat out given to the "Best I-AA Football Player" then David Ball deserves it with ease. I can't imagine anyone that has seen Ball in person disagreeing.

Hopefully in '07 Santos will be the first I-AA guy in the Heisman race since Air McNair.

blackfordpu
November 28th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Crutches huh? If he does not play the bobcats lose a great player and leader. They will surely fall without Nealy.

Retro
November 28th, 2005, 10:12 PM
All i know is that one of these guys will win it...........

http://www.retro-sports.com/images/productlineitem/1560007037.JPG

MACHIAVELLI
November 28th, 2005, 10:23 PM

Same can be said for Bruce Eugene. He was the better player in 2002 as a soph. they gave it to Tony Romo. They shouldn't ever have this award again. it will never have any worth.

MACHIAVELLI
November 28th, 2005, 10:27 PM
He's good, but he plays for the wrong team against the wrong opponents. Playing a schedule full of DII and III caliber teams is tough to compare to playing in the Gateway, Southland, BSC, or A10.

Then why are the D1AA awards named after 2 people from that his school and another one from the conference?

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Then why are the D1AA awards named after 2 people from that his school and another one from the conference?

Technically speaking, both awards are named for guys who never played in IAA either. I don't think the names on the awards are supposed to be anything more than a tribute to great players of yesteryear. Heck, the Heisman trophy is named after a guy from Penn - doesn't have much impact on today.

Retro
November 28th, 2005, 11:10 PM

Probably beause at the time they decided to choose a name for the award for the best players in I-AA, they looked back at the best players from teams still playing in I-AA and 20+ years ago, some of greatest came from SWAC schools.. payton, rice, joiner, etc..

As someone stated before, the swac teams are shadows of them former selves as far as OVERALL Team and player quality! They still produce some good players here and there that go on to the NFL, but the talent level top to bottom throughout the conference is some of the worst in all of I-AA.

That being said, Bruce clearly puts up big numbers, but it's againest terrible competition every week!

November 28th, 2005, 11:24 PM
All i know is that one of these guys will win it...........
http://www.retro-sports.com/images/productlineitem/1560007037.JPG :nod:

Nothing against I-AA's leading rusher etc. Nick Hartigan:

PantherMan
November 28th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Same can be said for Bruce Eugene. He was the better player in 2002 as a soph. they gave it to Tony Romo. They shouldn't ever have this award again. it will never have any worth.

I don't think it can honestly be stated that Bruce Eugene is the best player in IAA. He puts up impressive numbers, but he does it against subpar competition year in and year out. Eugene does not put up these types of numbers playing for EWU or UNH. Santos, Meyer, or Nealy probably put up more impressive numbers against Eugene's opponents. xprost2x

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2005, 11:59 PM

its not a career award.

PantherMan
November 29th, 2005, 12:05 AM
its not a career award.

No, but it's still tough to knock off the favorite when they have a good season.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 09:12 AM

because your guy didn't win it?

thats a little childish don't ya think?

see, if you guys played in the playoffs, Bruce could show his worth, but now he has no one to show they he deserved it, just my :twocents:

MACHIAVELLI
November 29th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I don't think it can honestly be stated that Bruce Eugene is the best player in IAA. He puts up impressive numbers, but he does it against subpar competition year in and year out. Eugene does not put up these types of numbers playing for EWU or UNH. Santos, Meyer, or Nealy probably put up more impressive numbers against Eugene's opponents.

How would you know. I guess they said the same thing about McNair.

MACHIAVELLI
November 29th, 2005, 01:45 PM
because your guy didn't win it?

thats a little childish don't ya think?

see, if you guys played in the playoffs, Bruce could show his worth, but now he has no one to show they he deserved it, just my

I think it is childish and backwards to think that just because a team chooses not to participate in the playoffs that players are not good or better than ones who do. I am sure that the media that saw him play NBC and the media that will see him play on December 10 and the many, many scouts that have attended practice know what Bruce can do. I am sure Towson, Iona and Rhode Island are real stiff competition.

TexasTerror
November 29th, 2005, 01:47 PM

McNair played some better competition...

SWAC had a bit more parity and if you recall, the SWAC teams didn't have to be limited to TWO non-conference games! Alcorn played SHSU, UTC, Samford and Troy State in 1994. They went 2-1-1 in those games which included the ABC regional TV loss at Huntsville to SHSU. Oh yeah, they also went to the I-AA playoffs and lost to Youngstown State. They played quality competition!

In 1993, Alcorn St played SHSU, Jacksonville St and Troy St as well as Howard.

Actually until 1998, Alcorn St played one of the toughest OOC in the SWAC year in and year out. That's when the Alabama A&M schools was added (1999, right?) and they got a new coach.

http://www.alcornsports.com/stats/mens_football/Section%20Eight%20-%20Pages%20131-158.pdf

HenHouse1
November 29th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Bruce Eugene got dycked.

I was thinking the same thing

SAME OLD G
November 29th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I guess my question is why even bother to nominate him (Bruce) for the award if you already know what conference he plays in and the teams he will play against?

Some of you (who claim to have votes) made it pretty clear that no matter what he did you would not vote for him. So what is the point of nominating him if it is already predetermined that he will not win?

SAME OLD G
November 29th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Still waiting for an answer.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 29th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Bruce Eugene got dycked.

The guy who really got it was Joe Rubin. The kind of numbers that that guy put up, against the kind of defenses he faced (5 teams that ended the season in the top 30 GPI, playing all Div I scholarship teams, including a good PAC-10 team and the co-champs of the WAC) - it makes me ill that he didn't get a little more respect than he did.

I mean, Nick Hartigan does sound like a nice guy and obviously had a good season, but putting 120 yards and 2 TD's on Cornell ain't quite the same as laying 150 and a score on Boise State (just to compare a couple of games chosen at random).

UNHknowledge
November 29th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I guess my question is why even bother to nominate him (Bruce) for the award if you already know what conference he plays in and the teams he will play against?

Some of you (who claim to have votes) made it pretty clear that no matter what he did you would not vote for him. So what is the point of nominating him if it is already predetermined that he will not win?

Thats a great point. I feel bad for him for not winning over Tony Romo a few years back, but I think he is exactly where he should be this year. The other 3 guys are just too good. Hopefully Eugene will get a shot to play on Sundays, and this award won't matter. Best of luck to him.

PantherMan
November 29th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Are you honestly saying that Bruce Eugene is anywhere near the player that McNair was in college? :rolleyes:

AppStateSVX
December 6th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I think that Richie has proven himself worthy of being the top player in I-AA football. While his stats aren't as flashy as last year, his sheer presence on the field is testimony of his leadership of the team. If ASU wins the NC, it will prove even more how he should have won the award. It's easy to stand out and get really good stats if your team sucks, but Richie is the leader of the most powerful team in I-AA.

mlbowl
December 6th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Facts prove otherwise.

First of all....how about a link to your facts ......second, you say Santos has the advantage in every category with the exception of total yards....well my eyes must be deceiving me cuz it appears Santos has thrown nearly twice as many interceptions ;)

TypicalTribe
December 6th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I think that Richie has proven himself worthy of being the top player in I-AA football. While his stats aren't as flashy as last year, his sheer presence on the field is testimony of his leadership of the team. If ASU wins the NC, it will prove even more how he should have won the award. It's easy to stand out and get really good stats if your team sucks, but Richie is the leader of the most powerful team in I-AA.

You don't win the Heisman or the Payton for leadership. You have to put up the numbers, too. As a quarterback, throwing for over 200 yards in only 6 out of 13 games is not going to do it.

The guy has had a tremendous season and could very well lead ASU to the title, but he didn't have the numbers to bo seriously considered.

AppStateSVX
December 6th, 2005, 10:59 AM
I think that is the biggest BS ever. Stats alone are jacksquat when you look at ASU and Williams. What is different about Richie Williams and Ingle Martin as opposed to the others? one of them will end their season with a Championship, the other candidates? "well, their stats are good" I think that the true worth of a player is not shown in stats. **** the Payton award, I guess it is no use in arguing about why he SHOULD win it, when it will be obvious when ASU takes the title

AppGuy04
December 6th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I think that is the biggest BS ever. Stats alone are jacksquat when you look at ASU and Williams. What is different about Richie Williams and Ingle Martin as opposed to the others? one of them will end their season with a Championship, the other candidates? "well, their stats are good" I think that the true worth of a player is not shown in stats. **** the Payton award, I guess it is no use in arguing about why he SHOULD win it, when it will be obvious when ASU takes the title

Richie won't win it because of the stats, we all know that

but I guarantee if you ask him what he'd rather have, he'd say a NC, so its moot in my book, let santos, Meyer, etc have the award, we'll take the NC

AppStateSVX
December 6th, 2005, 01:10 PM
agreed, it's just frustrating that he won't get recognized for what he is

GannonFan
December 6th, 2005, 01:29 PM

The problem is, in IAA, it's almost impossible to see enough of all the candidates to do it on anything other than stats. Heck, most people voting on the awards may only see, in a season, some of the guys, and then only a handful or even just one game. It's a problem in IA as well for some awards but obviously a little less so with the larger media coverage. It's just the way it is.

TypicalTribe
December 6th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Oh, please. Get off the high horse. The last two weeks have absolutely nothing to do with the Payton award. But please feel free to explain why he had a better regular season than Santos, Meyer or Hartigan.

TypicalTribe
December 6th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Richie won't win it because of the stats, we all know that

but I guarantee if you ask him what he'd rather have, he'd say a NC, so its moot in my book, let santos, Meyer, etc have the award, we'll take the NC

I think every player would say that, not just Richie.

TypicalTribe
December 6th, 2005, 03:47 PM
agreed, it's just frustrating that he won't get recognized for what he is

Which is what?

He's been recognized as one of the top handful of players in all of I-AA. The players that finished ahead of him had unbelievable years that were statistically light years ahead of Williams. He deserved recognition and got plenty of it, but he doesn't deserve to be any higher.

MACHIAVELLI
December 7th, 2005, 09:43 AM
They should stop having this award. It has been a joke since 2002.

McNeese75
December 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM
They should stop having this award. It has been a joke since 2002.

Kinda like that football game your team will be plaing in this weekend huh :smiley_wi

kalm
December 7th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I agree that it's difficult to compare when you get a limited view of all the candidates. That being said, judging by what I saw of Santos and Nealy on TV, they simply are not the level of passer that Meyer is. I watched them miss throws that Meyer simply doesn't miss, and his arm strength is clearly superior. (BTW, he throws a fastball consistently at 93 mph, has thrown as high as 96 and has been drafted in baseball 3 times - and according to UNI fans "died for our sins, cured cancer and scissor kicked Angela Lansbury" :)

Having seen both Meyer and Santos play, the UNI fan's opinions on the matter tend toward Meyer, it would be interesting to here from some Davis fans as well. UNH scored 17 against Davis's imposing D. Meyer and Co. put up 24 in the first half before they were yanked.

HiHiYikas
December 7th, 2005, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=kalm]BTW, he throws a fastball consistently at 93 mph, has thrown as high as 96 and has been drafted in baseball 3 timesQUOTE]

I read this about Meyer. . .does he plan on pursuing a pro baseball career? Seems like he'd be more likely to succeed in MLB than in the NFL.

MACHIAVELLI
December 7th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Kinda like that football game your team will be plaing in this weekend huh :smiley_wi

Kinda like your record. :spank:

igo4uni
December 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Having seen both Meyer and Santos play, the UNI fan's opinions on the matter tend toward Meyer

That is a fair statement. I just thought Meyer was a better QB than Santos. Maybe it was because of the passing conditions in the fabulous UNI-Dome (perfect, of course), or maybe it was the fact that EWU put up 38 points on UNI and UNH only put up 21. I was scared to death when EWU had the ball with a chance to drive down the field and win the game vs. UNI. Santos is good, and only a soph., but I didn't have that scared feeling with him. Who knows, though.

My pick: Eric Sanders. Yes, I am a homer. :)

McNeese75
December 7th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Kinda like your record. :spank:

Yep, would have been a lot better this year if the Southern game would have happened and we could have played the G-Men :D

UNH_ORACLE
December 7th, 2005, 11:30 PM
That is a fair statement. I just thought Meyer was a better QB than Santos. Maybe it was because of the passing conditions in the fabulous UNI-Dome (perfect, of course), or maybe it was the fact that EWU put up 38 points on UNI and UNH only put up 21. I was scared to death when EWU had the ball with a chance to drive down the field and win the game vs. UNI. Santos is good, and only a soph., but I didn't have that scared feeling with him. Who knows, though.

My pick: Eric Sanders. Yes, I am a homer. :)

Santos had what, 385 yards passing and 3 TD's and 100 plus rushing yards, almost 500 yards of offense...that doesnt scare you?? You truly embody the phrase 'No Fear'....

Chi Panther
December 7th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Santos had what, 385 yards passing and 3 TD's and 100 plus rushing yards, almost 500 yards of offense...that doesnt scare you?? You truly embody the phrase 'No Fear'....

LOL....great point.

But I do understand where IGO is coming from.....UNI couldn't stop EWU all night until the last 2 possessions

MACHIAVELLI
December 8th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Yep, would have been a lot better this year if the Southern game would have happened and we could have played the G-Men :D

Didn't McNeese lose to Nicholls and SELA for 2 years in a row?

AppStateSVX
December 8th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Which is what?

Just wait, I will let the next 2 games do the talking

kalm
December 8th, 2005, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=kalm]BTW, he throws a fastball consistently at 93 mph, has thrown as high as 96 and has been drafted in baseball 3 timesQUOTE]
I read this about Meyer. . .does he plan on pursuing a pro baseball career? Seems like he'd be more likely to succeed in MLB than in the NFL.

Only as a backup plan. He loves football, and has been projected as high as the 5th QB to be drafted, so he'll spend the winter bulking up a little and see what happens in the draft.

He'll play on Sundays if given the chance and he gets the right breaks. His arm really is that good.