PDA

View Full Version : Grambling's Bruce Eugene related articles

MACHIAVELLI
November 28th, 2005, 12:16 PM
As for Grambling's QB Bruce Eugene, it was a pleasure to watch him on my TV this Saturday. Since I don't follow I-AA football nearly as close as I do I-A, what I knew about Eugene coming into the game was that he weighed over 260 pounds, has put up big numbers through the air, and received an extra year of eligibility due to an injury.

What I did NOT know about Bruce Eugene was that he had ballooned up to 320 pounds while recovering from his knee injury, working really hard to get back into his prior shape, even going to the famed weight loss clinic at Duke Medical Center.

Nor did I know that Hurricane Katrina destroyed Eugene's family's home, and he moved somewhere around 18 family members into his house at Grambling. It was a truly touching story of a 23-year old man having to overcome a heck of a year.

And just as his off-field story is touching, on the field this year, nobody can touch him.

And don't be fooled by the gaudy stats, Eugene shouldn't be confused with being a system QB. Sure, Grambling's got a pretty nice offensive system, but Eugene has got a really nice arm. I've seen highlights of him throwing it 55-60 yards down field to a streaking receiver, looking like it's a piece of cake. I'm hoping I'll see him get a shot at the next level.

Fox Sports (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5116050)

TexasTerror
November 28th, 2005, 12:31 PM
They were talking about him on 610 AM. Couldn't believe he could rifle it as far as he does and said he was a big guy...

3rd Coast Tiger
November 28th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Good Luck Brugene! :hurray:

MACHIAVELLI
November 28th, 2005, 12:40 PM
HOUSTON -- Moments after receiving the most valuable player award for his team, Grambling State's Bruce Eugene was finally able to make it over to a corner of Reliant Stadium.
It was there where Eugene, a native of New Orleans whose home was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina more than three months ago, greeted well-wishers and posed for pictures.

This wasn't just another sect of delirious Grambling fans celebrating the Tigers 50-35 Bayou Classic victory over Southern. This group of approximately 25 family members was outfitted in oversized black, white and gold jerseys emblazoned with "St. Thomas 10'' across the front.

"The No. 10 represents the Tenth Ward in the project where I'm from,'' Eugene, who has also worn the same numeral throughout his illustrious college career. "Some of them have been displaced by the hurricane. But they're at every game. They've been with me every step of the way.''

....Eugene completed passes to nine different receivers -- five of whom caught touchdowns. He also passed for at least six touchdowns for the third time this season, increasing his career totals in passing yards to 12,815 and touchdowns to 130.

"He knows where everybody is,'' GSU wide receiver Henry Tolbert, who led the Tigers with six catches for 102 yards and a TD. "Because of that, he can look at the defense and call his own plays. He's like a (Indianapolis Colts' QB) Peyton Manning.''

"My receivers make me look good,'' Eugene said. "I don't throw too many deep passes. My receivers and my offensive line get all of the credit.''

2TA (http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/112705/sou_eugene001.shtml)

GannonFan
November 28th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I don't see anyway he doesn't get a look in the NFL - he has a huge arm and the NFL likes big QB's. He'll have to watch his conditioning as he wasn't the fittest of people even before his injury last year, but he certainly warrants a look in the NFL. I'm not sure I could say he's the best QB out there in IAA, but I haven't seen enough of everyone to make an educated call. There's Santos at UNH, Nealy at Texas St, and Meyers at EWU that are all excellent QB's. No one's a sure thing at the next level though.

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I don't see anyway he doesn't get a look in the NFL - he has a huge arm and the NFL likes big QB's. He'll have to watch his conditioning as he wasn't the fittest of people even before his injury last year, but he certainly warrants a look in the NFL. I'm not sure I could say he's the best QB out there in IAA, but I haven't seen enough of everyone to make an educated call. There's Santos at UNH, Nealy at Texas St, and Meyers at EWU that are all excellent QB's. No one's a sure thing at the next level though.

Ingle Martin will get some NFL looks. As much as I'd love to see Richie Williams in the nFL, I think he's got AFL or CFL written in his future. His style fits those games a lot better.

Side note: the Grey Cup was on INHD last night. I caught some of it. I have to admit I kinda liked the CFL game. Wish I could get more of it.